XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Rocket Launcher

RustedSoul

ok this one was kinda tough, i had to practically invent a portable rocket launcher, so it will need some feedback. Thanks to those who find the time to take a look and add ideas for improvment.
for your conveinience i have numbered the sections so you can easily reference feedback. ^_^ i'll take a look at stinger operations later tonight and see if i can sqeeze in better info for the next release. Until then please pound me with feed back....

Draft version (outdated check further down) Edited by RustedSoul

First of all, you should lay it all out in paragraph form so that it's easier to read, and so that it more slosley parralels how it's going to look in the game. Second, armor piercing rockets do not exist and II'm pretty sure they will not be in the game. Third, you need to do a little research, since I don't think it's going to be based on all three of those rocket designs. check the art department, I think they have a picture of what it's going to look like, and do some research on milittary explosives (or ask cpl. Facehugger, since he did the avalanche and stingray tips). I just don't think that "a c-4 like compoound" sounds very good. You can probably make something up for an explosive too as long as it doesn't sound abnormal. Again, the avalanche and stingray ctds may have something you can use.

For my Missile CTDs I used a Cobalt-Lithium warhead, and a Cobalt Lithium warhead mixed with RDM (Radial Damage Magnification) crystals that I made up. Also, I used Depleted uranium tips for extra penetrative power! :D

You may want to remember that the launcher in xcom 1 (we are using the same system) fired small rockets (probably to minimize collateral damage), Large Rockets (Which were to maximize collateral damage :D) And Inciendiary (Sp?) rockets which light everything on fire. You could go into great detail that while it is can be fired by a single person (unlike other older launchers) it is still extremely heavy. You may also want to add a developement history saying how it was made, its history, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
EDIT: oops, wrong thread.

Edit: Now that I think about it though. . . I can't tell if your ctd is an outline or a real ctd.

The problem is that it has no flow at all. I think we're going for a more essay-like ctd (what I mean by that is that it's just a bunch of flowing paragraphs that aren't labeled and are interesting to just read through) My advice is to pretend that you are explaining the rocket launcher to someone else only now you can think of exactly what to say so as to have the maximum effect. If you were talking to somebody you wouldn't say "basic operation: blah blah blah". You would say "The rocket launcher is operated by . . ." . Also, I like to spread fluff text out, usually putting it in the middle and end. I put it in the middle to keep them reading, and I put it at the end to end on a positive note, leaving them ready to go and have fun playing the game, rather than zoning out after all the sciency stuff.

EDIT: Actually, the CTD's are more essaylike than I thought. The fluff texts often act as anecdotes and we often start with basic stuff about a topic and then move into more in-depth stuff. Edited by Ancalagon

Armour peircing rockets to exist. The gist is that they have a head of copper which is heated up by an explosive and forced forward by a shaped charge so that when it impacts its targets it sprays forward a blob of very hot copper which burns theu armour.

I could find the specific example in Jane's but I can't be bothered if ppl will take this at face value.

Yes, armor piercing has been used for some time. Current TOW missile technology includes fire and forget, shaped charges that allow firing above the target and have the explosion angle down into the weaker top armor of the vehicle. The rocket launcher model has been completed, pretty much a bazooka design. So perhaps you could use some of the TOW tech for your description.

Also if you have the capability to use Wordpad or something that can save to rtf file format, you can get word wrap in the doc, much easier to read as stated above. Here it is to get you started:

Thanks x 2 Breunor, i was able to find alot more relevant information on TOW rather than stinger operations.
Wordpad is also making it easier to keep track of where i'm at.

About the AP missiles
could the lower explosive missile round in "x-com" be exchanged for the armour piercing since both contain a small explosive charge. Or should this be more likely considered in later versions of Xenocide?

It would make sense to have an AP rocket, though the purpose of it is less clear: a normal HE rocket kills almost anything as it is, and the AP would have higher damage but less blast radius (if any), so I think it would be less useful. Unless we make buildings stronger so you'd need that missile to destroy stone buildings (or maybe the AP missile has a chance of punching through a UFO wall, I don't think any other human weapon should, not even the door)

We'd want to stick to descriptions that support the weapon's abilities in version 1 for now, so IIRC it can destroy human buildings but not UFO items. I'd look for some current HE ammo, and update their descriptions to something realistic for 10 years from now. That should cover the bases nicely IMO.

Sorry for my lack of updates, my "chee" has been thrown off by recent events, so I'm hoping that i can pick up the pace again soon.

This is what i have done so far, i'm still working on the last 2 sections, which contains the (launcher & rocket operations) & and also the final analysis/summary.

RS Alpha Version:
[PAM-L] (Portable Avalanche Missle Launcher)?

The "RL" is the soldiers version of the Avalanche missile launching system. Positive features are better handling, and High damage, along with a limited degree of accuracy. Major flaws are low rate of fire and being extremely heavy for its single user. Depending on the ammunition been used, the "RL" produces damage of varing degrees, ranging from explosive to incendiary, it is recommended in situations where the delivery of maxium force outweighs that of other conventional weapons.

FE/CE (Focused Explosive/Controlled Explosive)
This warhead is built for those who need a confined explosion radius. Depending on the thickness of the alien armor, this warhead has been known to do little damage to the heavily armoured alien variant. Please note that this missile is not recommended for combating multiple targets simultaneously.

HE (High Explosive)
Basically a miniature version of our aircrafts Avalanche missile. The warhead is integrated with a much smaller quantity of RDM compound. It is best suited in combat against grouped targets and/or heavily armoured aliens. Be advised, unlike human structures, the HE missile has been ineffective against ufo exteriors.

INC (INCendiary)
This warhead is comprised of condensed napalm, Best used on aliens with particulary weak resistance to flame, it is also useful for creating protective barriers between you and hostile forces. Please consider that some governments may frown apon a total scorched earth policy.

BASE#1 chat log Recorded at 0938 : channel #"RL"
Drummerboy:"Avalanche..what? Are you trying to tell me that some guy decided to rip a missile launcher off a plane, then redesign it so that a single soldier like me, can lug it around and blow sh@t up?"
RustedSoul:"it's a little more complicated then that, but basically yes"
Drummerboy:"SWEET! I can't wait to try it...so um, what are you wearing?"
#RustedSoul has left the channel

Since 1970, the TOW (Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire command-link guided) weapons system has been Earth's leading design in anti-tank warfare. Due to the fact that it either requires a 2-3 man team or vehicle attachment for operation, most military organizations have deemed it inefficient for use by special forces, and sought alternatives such as the RPG-7, LAW & SMAW. In November last year, a German scientist named Hans Steiner began development of the "LS" (Lone Soldat) Tank Destroyer. Setting the TOW as the base for his design, he scaled it down, then remodeled it into a workable and reusable form. The "RL" has since developed into earths finest "LS" anti-tank weapon. With its existence becoming more renowned, the RL becomes increasingly sought after by Military forces, sending its price value soaring. To further benefit from the market price, manufacturers in Germany limit production, making it harder to acquire. Because of this marketing strategy, only government funded military organizations are able to afford this device, leaving most right winged militant and terrorist groups longing.

Once again thankyou for [u]ANY[/u] input ^_^

*edit. SS -> LS (Lone Soldat) Edited by RustedSoul

Beside the little grammar items that we can iron out later, I'm hesitant to use a line that has a german scientist make an "SS" version of anything.... that's just an area we don't need to associate with in general. While it's not blatant, I expect other people would also wonder if that guy was naming his inventions as a tribute to a previous era. Can you come up with another 2 letter combo we could use?

• 1 month later...
As we've been working on the model for this recently, thought I'd bump this with a few thoughts. The weapon looks most similar to the SMAW, you might include a reference to it (check out the latest shots of it in the Images forum). As the scope is adjustable and we don't want a spotter for the weapon, I was thinking that the scope could include a self-righting, free-floating sight, that have the range adjustments on it. The scope's focus knob could have range numbers along the edge, so as you adjust the focus it tells you what the range of that focus is, and you'd see the small number to the side. Using that number you know which range adjustment to use and tilt the tube without the use of a second person.

Maybe that's too old fashion, and it would be more accurate to have a laser range finder and the scope determines the range and adjusts an overlay accordingly, so you just put the target in the center of the scope and everything's done for you? That sounds more modern I guess.

Even if you think your comment is stupid please post it, I can work with somthing. If you comment with nothing, then you will see just as many improvments.

[color="blue"]blue[/color] = parts i think should be changed
second part.
Being 1m in length, its stainless steel structure gives it a rugged endurance that protects the electrical componets, [color="blue"]such componets are the[/color] [color="blue"]"free floating light amplification scope with intergrated AIMBOT"[/color]. Operation is fairly simple, the user places the missile into the rear of the tube, [color="blue"]the missile is then locked into place with small spring operated preasure plates. Once the trigger is pulled an electro circuit is completed, releasing these wedges and igniting the rocket propellant[/color]. The rocket then travels unhindered down the 150mm tube.
At the missiles forefront sits the preasure detonator somewhat isolated in a depleted uranium housing. The detonator becomes active 1.3 seconds after launching. Behind this detonator sits the selected compound (FE,HE,INC). Air sealed in the Fuel compartment is a large quantity of the metallic element rubidium. Once the elctro circuit has been completed, air fills the fuel compartment causing the rubidium to ignite.

"I've spent all day patching wounds i've never seen before, some of the wounded tell me that they'd be dead if Corporal Benson had'nt saved them. He apparently placed an incendiary round of some sort, into an Alien infested house..he managed to kill 3 civilians by doing so...shame." -Senior Medical staff (Britney Cox)

"I took out six of those damn greys with one shot, All dug in wasting my platoon, heck we'd all be dead if i did'nt nuke'em. It was just so easy, aim, pull the trigger, BOOM... no more problem. How the heck was i suppose to know that people were in there." -Corporal Jay.T Benson (Retired)

[color="blue"]"Because of Corporal Bensons blatent disregard for saftey procedures, he has unessesarily taken the lives of civilians. Field reports indicate that use of the FE missile could have adverted these casualties. As a result, I have removed Corporal Benson from active duty, and from now on, he will be fighting this war from the saftey of his own home. I only hope that the rescent government funding cuts do not cost us this war" -Base Personnel Manager[/color]

Also here is the document in whole form Edited by RustedSoul

^_^ thx facehugger

Breunor-> i've given your focus range finder idea some thought and i think i can spank it up into somthing more modern sounding then the laser guidance. I could probably best describe my idea as a set off glasses that automatically adjusts focus/zoom according to the muscle tension in the wearers eyeball/retna.

mikker-> trust you to spot that :LOL:

• 1 month later...
shameless bump

[color="blue"]Personal note: Change Avalanche - Titan (double check new names list before)[/color]

[PAM-L] (Portable [Avalanche] Missle Launcher)?
[LS-ATW] (Lone Soldat Anti-Tank weapon)?
[Rocket launcher]?

The "RL" is the soldiers version of the [Avalanche] missile launching system. Positive features are better handling, and High damage, along with a limited degree of accuracy. Major flaws are low rate of fire, and being extremely heavy for its single user. Depending on the ammunition been used, the "RL" produces damage of varing degrees, ranging from explosive to incendiary, it is recommended in situations where the delivery of maxium force outweighs that of other conventional weapons.

[FE/CE] (Focused Explosive/Controlled Explosive)
This warhead is built for those who need a confined explosion radius. Depending on the thickness of the alien armor, this warhead has been known to do little damage to the heavily armoured alien variant. Please note that this missile is not recommended for combating multiple targets simultaneously.

[HE] (High Explosive)
Basically a miniature version of our aircrafts [Avalanche] missile. The warhead is integrated with a much smaller quantity of RDM compound. It is best suited in combat against grouped targets and/or heavily armoured aliens. Be advised, unlike human structures, the HE missile has been ineffective against ufo exteriors.

[INC] (INCendiary)
This warhead is comprised of condensed napalm, Best used on aliens with particulary weak resistance to flame, it is also useful for creating protective barriers between you and hostile forces. Please consider that some governments may frown apon a total scorched earth policy.

BASE#1 chat log Recorded at 0938 : channel #"RL"
Drummerboy:"[Avalanche]..what? Are you trying to tell me that some guy decided to rip a missile launcher off a plane, then redesign it so that a single soldier like me, can lug it around and blow sh@t up?"
RustedSoul:"it's a little more complicated then that, but basically yes"
Drummerboy:"SWEET! I can't wait to try it...so um, what are you wearing?"

Since 1970, the TOW (Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire command-link guided) weapons system has been Earth's leading design in anti-tank warfare. Due to the fact that it either requires a 2-3 man team or vehicle attachment for operation, most military organizations have deemed it inefficient for use by special forces, and sought alternatives such as the RPG-7, LAW & SMAW. In November last year, a German scientist named Hans Steiner began development of the "LS" (Lone Soldat) Tank Destroyer. Using the technological advances found in the [Avalanche] missile system as a guideline, Hans set the TOW as the base for his design, modeling both the missile and launcher to cater specifically for infantry to ground warfare. The "RL" has since developed into earths finest "LS" anti-tank weapon. With its existence becoming more renowned, the RL becomes increasingly sought after by Military forces, sending its price value soaring. To further benefit from the market price, manufacturers in Germany limit production, making it harder to acquire. Because of this marketing strategy, only government funded military organizations are able to afford this device, leaving most right winged militant and potential terrorist groups longing.

Being 1m in length, its stainless steel structure gives it a rugged endurance that protects most of the electrical componets, such componets are the "free-floating, light amplification scope with intergrated AIMBOT". Operation is fairly simple, the user places the missile into the rear of the tube, the missile is then locked into place with small spring operated preasure plates. Once the trigger is pulled an electro circuit is completed, releasing these wedges and igniting the rocket propellant. The rocket then travels unhindered down the 150mm tube.
At the missiles forefront sits the preasure detonator somewhat isolated in a depleted uranium housing. The detonator becomes active 1.3 seconds after launching. Behind this detonator sits the selected compound (FE,HE,INC). Vacuum sealed in the Fuel compartment is a large quantity of the metallic element rubidium. Once the elctro circuit has been completed, air fills the fuel compartment causing the rubidium to ignite.

"I've spent all day patching wounds i've never seen before, some of the wounded tell me that they'd be dead if Corporal Benson had'nt saved them. He apparently placed an incendiary round of some sort, into an Alien infested house..he managed to kill 3 civilians by doing so...shame." -Senior Medical staff (Britney Cox)

"I took out six of those damn greys with one shot, All dug in wasting my platoon, heck we'd all be dead if i did'nt nuke'em. It was just so easy, aim, pull the trigger, BOOM... no more problem. How the heck was i suppose to know that people were in there." -Corporal Jay.T Benson (Retired)

"Because of Corporal Bensons blatent disregard for saftey procedures, he has unnesessarily taken the lives of civilians. Field reports indicate that use of the FE missile could have adverted these casualties. As a result, I have removed Corporal Benson from active duty, and from now on, he will be fighting this war from the saftey of his own home. I only hope that recent threats to government funding, do not cost us this war" -Base Personnel Manager Edited by RustedSoul

thx fellas
yep recent, ta m8 ^_^

the DU housing had 2 reasons behind it

1- The ability to slightly pierce into the target (putting the Explosive substance closer to the targets vital organs). This would also justify it as an anti-tank wep which was the purpose the RLs existence.
2- Act as a kind of shrapnel, either used by being projected into the interior of a tank, or to act as fragments against Infantry on foot.

The text looks good RustedSoul. Once we get the final names on the missiles I'll come back and update your text on this one.

I wouldn't use the Avalanche missile as a base for a ground-launched rocket though, it's like taking a Porsche and redesigning it into a Trabant :rolleyes:

some reasons:
1. Warhead is totally different
2. Guidance is absent on rocket launcher missile
3. Size (Avalanche is about 3,50 ~ 4 meters tall, imagine taking that on your shoulder ^_^ )
lots more, but I think it's safe to conclude that redesigning an AA-missile like the Avalanche into a ground-launched rocket is not the most practical, cost-effective, and useful thing to do ;) Edited by j'ordos

[quote]I wouldn't use the Avalanche missile as a base for a ground-launched rocket though, it's like taking a Porsche and redesigning it into a Trabant

some reasons:
1. Warhead is totally different
2. Guidance is absent on rocket launcher missile
3. Size (Avalanche is about 3,50 ~ 4 meters tall, imagine taking that on your shoulder  )
lots more, but I think it's safe to conclude that redesigning an AA-missile like the Avalanche into a ground-launched rocket is not the most practical, cost-effective, and useful thing to do [/quote]

It could be a missile made with the same technology as the avalanche.

Like a cousin of the avalanche.

Really all I see there is a reference to Avalanche in the name, and that this is the soldier version of the launcher, not the missile itself. I agree with kelfka, if the avalanche is the greatest human tech missile out there, then the RL ammo can include similar upgrades. It's already mentioning the TOW, so adding that the TOW was upgraded along the same path that made the avalanche would probably work well.

agreed.. changed it into the following line

"Using the technological advances found in the [Avalanche] missile system as a guideline, Hans set the TOW as the base for his design, modeling both the missile and launcher to cater specifically for infantry to ground warfare"

^_^

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[attachmentid=undefined][attachmentid=undefined]Im new to the forum but a while back i wrote out a few ufopedia style write ups for ufo weapons for a planned project similar to this one, the project never really started but perhaps some of my write ups could be used in some way on this project.
My writeup of the rocket launcher is attached, reading up on military technology is a hobby of mine and my writeups are based on a valid scientific background.

I hadnt decided on a rocket fuel so i left it out but aluminized ammonium perchlorate was a choice, but it may be better for aircraft based systems

^_^ as opposed to mine which was practically pulled out of my arse.

dammit, where were you earlier when i was writing this!

I like this part ->
The tube module is the main body of the system, it consists of a simple reinforced Polycarbonate tube internally coated with a heat resistant ceramic to provide heat resistance and externally coated with a dull non-reflective, scratch resistant finish. The tube contains support rails and clamps to hold the rocket and connections to the rocket initiator to allow the rocket to be launched when connected to the appropriate sight/gripstock module.

and this part ->
All rockets use a two stage body with a small charge propelling the rocket to a safe distance from the firer before the ignition of the primary propellant.

and ->
The first module, the sight/gripstock sub-assembly houses the sighting system which incorporates an image intensifier and light amplification system along with the forward grip and trigger mechanism.

I find it hard to believe that specs for this kinda hardware could be found outside the military, i guess it's not impossible -_- . I really like some of your work here. I think your work can be melded into mine if you would like it to be. I'll bump this back to an active task if you would like to work on it. About the propellant, it's probably in the best interest of society if we leave it as Rubidium ;)

No problem, like i said it was unused before, i have a few more writeups you can have if you want them, ill just type em up and clean them a bit, give me a weapon you want a write up for and ill look for the page, i dont have anything on medical equipment or alien weapons though, just human weapons within the realms of science.

^_^ usually threads in the completed are pretty much worked out, however in the best interests of quality, i'm popping this back into active tasks so that you may work on it.

Other stuff you may work on are at your own discretion, though at this point I would suggest that you focus your efforts towards threads in the active tasks, then pick at a few in unsorted.

One i suggest is the Motion sensor, there are a few different texts there and It really needs a cataclysmic event to sort it out. I would attempt it myself but my opinion is probably bias and not in the best interest of xenocide :naughty:

Oh and welcome to xeno, if you have any further questions, Breunor's the CTD chief ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
since there has been no further development [u]what-so-ever[/u] on this in the past 20 days, i'm closing this and popping it back into completed.

when given the chance, this text will be subject for review by the concerned parties.

• 5 months later...
‘ROCKET LAUNCHER
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/Rocket Launcher

The "RL" is the soldier’s version of the Titan missile launching system. Positive features are good handling, and high damage along with a high degree of accuracy. Major flaws are low rate of fire, and extreme weight for its single user. Depending on the ammunition being used, the "RL" produces damage of varying degrees, ranging from explosive to incendiary, it is recommended in situations where the delivery of maximum force outweighs that of other conventional weapons.

[FE/CE] (Focused Explosive/Controlled Explosive)
This warhead is built for those who need a confined explosion radius. Depending on the thickness of the Alien armor, this warhead has been known to do little damage to the heavily armored Alien variants. Please note that this missile is not recommended for combating multiple targets simultaneously.

[HE] (High Explosive)
Basically a miniature version of our aircraft’s Titan missile, the warhead is integrated with a much smaller quantity of RDM compound. It is best suited in combat against grouped targets and/or heavily armored Aliens. However, be advised that the HE missile has been ineffective against UFO exteriors.

[INC] (Incendiary)
This warhead is comprised of condensed napalm, this type of rocket is best used on Aliens with particularly weak resistance to flame; it is also useful for creating protective barriers between you and hostile forces. Please consider that some governments may frown upon a total scorched earth policy.

BASE#1 chat log Recorded at 0938: channel #"RL"
Drummerboy:"Titan.. What? Are you trying to tell me that some guy decided to rip a missile launcher off a plane, then redesign it so that a single soldier like me, can lug it around and blow S--- up?"
RustedSoul: " It is a little more complicated then that, but basically yes"
Drummerboy: "SWEET! I can't wait to try it...so um, what are you wearing?"

Since 1970, the TOW (Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire command-link guided) weapons system has been Earth's leading design in anti-tank warfare. Due to the fact that it either requires a 2-3 man team or vehicle attachment for operation, most military organizations have deemed it inefficient for use by Special Forces, and sought alternatives such as the RPG-7, LAW & SMAW. In November last year, a German scientist named Hans Steiner began development of the "LS" (Lone Soldat) Tank Destroyer. Using the technological advances found in the Titan missile system as a guideline, Hans set the TOW as the base for his design, modeling both the missile and launcher to cater specifically to infantry in ground warfare. The "RL" has since developed into Earth’s finest "LS" anti-tank weapon. With its existence becoming more renowned, the RL becomes increasingly sought after by military forces, sending its price value soaring. To further benefit from the market price, manufacturers in Germany limit production, making it harder to acquire. Because of this marketing strategy, only government funded military organizations are able to afford this device, leaving most right-wing militant and potential terrorist groups longing.

Being 1m in length, its stainless steel structure gives it a rugged endurance that protects most of the electrical components; one such component is the "free-floating light amplification scope". Operation is fairly simple, the user places the missile into the rear of the tube, the missile is then locked into place with small spring operated pressure plates. Once the trigger is pulled, an electro-circuit is completed, releasing these wedges and igniting the rocket propellant. The rocket then travels unhindered down the 150mm tube.

At the missile's forefront sits the pressure detonator, somewhat isolated in a depleted uranium housing. The detonator becomes active 1.3 seconds after launching. Behind this detonator sits the selected compound (FE, HE, INC). Sealed in the fuel compartment is a modest quantity of aluminized ammonium perchlorate.

"I've spent all day patching wounds I’ve never seen before, some of the wounded tell me that they'd be dead if Corporal Benson hadn’t saved them. He apparently placed an incendiary round of some sort into an Alien infested house.. He managed to kill 3 civilians by doing so...shame." -Senior Medical staff (Britney Cox)

"I took out six of those damn Greys with one shot, all dug in wasting my platoon. Heck we'd all be dead if I hadn’t nuked them. It was just so easy, aim, pull the trigger, BOOM... no more problem. How the heck was I supposed to know that people were in there." -Corporal Jay. T Benson (Retired) Edited by Azrael

• 1 month later...
The usual stuff: [color="red"]Red text[/color] indicates additions, [color="orange"]orange text[/color] indicates deletions, and [color="blue"][i]blue text[/i][/color] indicates comments or suggestions.

Added [brackets], capitalizations of the word "Alien", and British spellings replaced by American ones are not denoted.

Switching around names and acronyms [i.e. “FE (Focused Explosive)” changed to “Focused Explosive (FE)”] has also not been denoted.

[color="green"]Proofreading Round 1[/color]

[color="blue"][i]”Lone Soldat”?[/i][/color] [ROCKET LAUNCHER]
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/[Rocket Launcher]

The [color="red"]solo-operated[/color] [color="orange"]"RL"[/color] [color="blue"][i]”Lone Soldat”?[/i][/color] [color="red"][rocket launcher][/color] is the soldier’s version of the Titan missile launching system. [color="red"]Its p[/color]ositive features [color="orange"]are[/color] [color="red"]include[/color] good handling, [color="orange"]and[/color] high damage[color="red"], and[/color] [color="orange"]along with[/color] a high degree of accuracy[color="red"], but its major drawbacks[/color][color="orange"]. Major flaws[/color] are [color="red"]its[/color] low rate of fire[color="orange"],[/color] and extreme weight [color="orange"]for its single user[/color]. Depending on the ammunition being used, the "RL" produces damage [color="orange"]of varying degrees,[/color] ranging from explosive to incendiary, [color="red"]and[/color] it is recommended [color="orange"]in[/color] [color="red"]for[/color] situations where the delivery of maximum force outweighs that of other conventional weapons.

Focused Explosive/Controlled Explosive (FE/CE): This warhead [color="red"]was[/color] [color="orange"]is built for those who need[/color] [color="red"]designed to produce[/color] a confined explosion radius. [color="orange"]Depending on the thickness of the Alien armor[/color] [color="red"]However[/color], this warhead has been known to do little damage to the heavily armored Alien variants. [color="blue"][i]Is this known at the game’s outset?[/i][/color] Please note that this missile is not recommended for combating multiple targets simultaneously. [color="blue"][i]Maybe: “Please note that this missile is not recommended for area-effect effect purposes.[/i][/color]

High Explosive (HE): [color="orange"]Basically a miniature version of our aircraft’s Titan missile, the warhead is integrated with a much smaller quantity[/color] [color="red"]This warhead is basically a miniature version of the aircraft-mounted Titan missile, but it incorporates a much smaller payload[/color] of [color="red"]Rapid Detonating Mixture (RDM), a mixture containing the explosive cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine.[/color] [color="blue"][i]I hope that’s what RDM stands for… anyone know?[/i][/color] [color="orange"]RDM compound[/color]. It is best suited in combat against grouped targets and/or heavily armored Aliens. [color="orange"]However, be advised that the HE missile has been ineffective against UFO exteriors.[/color] [color="blue"][i]This may not be known at the game’s outset, and it can be discovered by the player through trial and error. :)[/i][/color]

Incendiary (INC): This warhead is [color="orange"]comprised of[/color] [color="red"]contains[/color] condensed napalm, [color="red"]and[/color] this type of rocket is best used on Aliens with [color="orange"]particularly weak resistance[/color] [color="red"]a particular vulnerability[/color] to flame[color="red"]s. It can also be used as an area-denial tool against other ground units.[/color] [color="orange"]; it is also useful for creating protective barriers between you and hostile forces.[/color] [color="blue"][i]Changed the previous sentence to make it more general and qualify the “ground units” limitation.[/i][/color] Please consider that some governments may [color="orange"]frown upon[/color] [color="red"]disapprove of[/color] a total scorched earth policy.

Drummerboy:"Titan.. What? Are you trying to tell me that some guy decided to rip a missile launcher off a plane, then redesign it so that a single soldier like me, can lug it around and blow S--- up?"
RustedSoul: " It is a little more complicated then that, but basically yes"
Drummerboy: "SWEET! I can't wait to try it...so um, what are you wearing?"
#RustedSoul has left the channel [color="blue"][i]Amusing, but I don’t think this fits… Maybe get rid of the last two lines and take out all the capital letters in the text? :P[/i][/color]

Since 1970, the Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire command-link guided (TOW) weapons system has been Earth's leading design in anti-tank warfare. [color="orange"]Due to the fact that[/color] [color="red"]Because[/color] it either requires a 2-3 man team or vehicle attachment for operation, most military organizations have deemed it [color="red"]too[/color] inefficient for use by Special Forces, and [color="red"]they have[/color] sought [color="red"]solo-operated[/color] alternatives such as the RPG-7, LAW[color="red"], and[/color] [color="orange"]&[/color] SMAW. In November [color="orange"]last year[/color] [color="blue"][i]add appropriate year here[/i][/color], a German scientist [color="orange"]named[/color] [color="red"]by the name of[/color] Hans Steiner began development of the “Lone Soldat” (LS) Tank Destroyer. [color="orange"]Using[/color] [color="red"]By combining[/color] the technological advances found in the Titan missile system [color="orange"]as a guideline, Hans set[/color] [color="red"]with[/color] the TOW [color="red"]design base[/color] [color="orange"]as the base for his design[/color], [color="red"]Steiner was able to create a[/color] [color="orange"]modeling the[/color] missile and launcher [color="orange"]to cater[/color] [color="red"]system that catered[/color] specifically to infantry in ground warfare. The [color="orange"]"RL"[/color] [color="red"][rocket launcher][/color] [color="blue"][i]LS?[/i][/color] has since developed into Earth’s finest [color="orange"]“LS”[/color] [color="red"]solo-operated[/color] anti-tank weapon. [color="orange"]With its existence becoming more renowned[/color] [color="red"]As the LS’s reputation for effectiveness grew[/color], [color="orange"]the RL becomes[/color] [color="red"]so too did its demand.[/color] [color="orange"]increasingly sought after by military forces, sending its price value soaring. To[/color]. [color="red"]In order to capitalize on this strong demand[/color] [color="orange"]further benefit from the market price[/color], manufacturers in Germany limit[color="red"]ed the LS’s[/color] production, making it harder to acquire [color="red"]and driving its already high prices even higher[/color]. Because of this marketing strategy, only government[color="red"]-[/color]funded military organizations are able to afford this [color="red"]weapon[/color] [color="orange"]device, leaving most right-wing militant and potential terrorist groups longing[/color]. [color="blue"][i]Just how expensive are rocket launchers in the game? The reason here might have to be a little less exaggerated if the price isn’t THAT expensive…[/i][/color]

[color="orange"]Being 1m in length, its[/color] [color="red"]The LS’s 1-meter long[/color] stainless steel structure gives it a rugged [color="orange"]endurance[/color] [color="red"]exterior[/color] that protects most of the electrical components [color="red"]housed within, including [color=orange]; one such component is[/color] the "free-floating light amplification scope" [color="red"]used to assist targeting[/color]. Operation of [color="red"]the [rocket launcher][/color] is fairly simple[color="red"];[/color] [color="blue"][i]straightforward?[/i][/color][color="orange"],[/color] the user places the missile into the rear of the tube [color="red"]where it is[/color][color="orange"], the missile is then[/color] locked into place with small spring[color="red"]-[/color]operated pressure plates. [color="red"]The LS is then mounted on one shoulder, and targeting is achieved though simple electronic targeting aids. When[/color] [color="orange"]Once[/color] the trigger is pulled, [color="orange"]an electro-circuit is completed, releasing these wedges and igniting[/color] the rocket propellant [color="red"]ignites, sending the[/color][color="orange"]. The[/color] rocket [color="orange"]then travels unhindered[/color] down the [color="orange"]150mm[/color] [color="blue"][i]Something tells me this isn’t the right number- the whole thing is 1 meter in length, but the “tube” here is only 15cm long?[/i][/color] tube [color="red"]and on towards its target[/color].

At [color="orange"]the[/color] [color="red"]each[/color] missile's forefront sits the pressure detonator, [color="red"]that is[/color] somewhat isolated [color="red"]with[/color]in a depleted uranium housing. The detonator becomes active 1.3 seconds after launching [color="red"]to prevent premature detonation and injury to the user[/color]. [color="blue"][i]Is this in the game? Iirc, you could blow yourself up by shooting something next to you. If so, the previous sentence will have to be removed.[/i][/color] Behind this detonator sits the selected compound (FE[color="red"]/CE[/color], HE, [color="red"]or[/color] INC)[color="orange"]. Sealed[/color] [color="red"]and behind that, a[/color] [color="orange"]in the[/color] fuel compartment [color="orange"]is[/color] [color="red"]filled with[/color] a modest quantity of aluminized ammonium perchlorate.

"I've spent all day patching wounds[color="red"], some of which[/color] I’ve never [color="red"]even[/color] seen before, [color="orange"]some[/color] [color="red"]when several[/color] of the wounded [color="orange"]tell[/color] [color="red"]told[/color] me that they'd be dead if Corporal Benson hadn’t saved them. He apparently placed an incendiary round of some sort into an Alien infested house… [color="red"]Unfortunately, h[/color]e managed to kill 3 civilians by doing so...shame." -[color="red"]Britney Cox,[/color] Senior Medical staff [color="orange"](Britney Cox)[/color]

"I took out six of those damn Greys with one shot, all dug in wasting my platoon. Heck we'd all be dead if I hadn’t nuked them. It was just so easy, aim, pull the trigger, BOOM... no more problem. How the heck was I supposed to know that [color="red"]there were[/color] people [color="orange"]were in[/color] there?!" -Corporal Jay. T Benson (Retired) [color="blue"][i]Fluff subject to change.[/i][/color] Edited by Astyanax

• 1 month later...
Guest Azrael
[ROCKET LAUNCHER]
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Weapons/[Rocket Launcher]

The solo-operated [rocket launcher] is the soldier’s version of the Titan missile launching system. Its positive features include good handling, high damage, and a high degree of accuracy, but its major drawbacks are its low rate of fire and extreme weight. Depending on the ammunition being used, the "[RL]" produces damage ranging from explosive to incendiary, and it is recommended for situations where the delivery of maximum force outweighs that of other conventional weapons.

"I've spent all day patching wounds, some of which I’ve never even seen before, when several of the wounded told me that they'd be dead if Corporal Benson hadn’t saved them. He apparently placed an incendiary round of some sort into an Alien infested house… Unfortunately, he managed to kill 3 civilians by doing so...shame." -Britney Cox, Senior Medical staff.

Focused Explosive/Controlled Explosive (FE/CE): This warhead was designed to produce a confined explosion radius. Please note that this missile is not recommended for area-effect effect purposes, as the blast radius is limited to a single human-sized target.

High Explosive (HE): This warhead is basically a miniature version of the aircraft-mounted Titan missile, but it incorporates a much smaller payload of Rapid Detonating Mixture (RDM), a mixture containing the explosive cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine. It is best suited in combat against grouped targets and/or heavily armored Aliens.

Incendiary (INC): This warhead is contains condensed napalm, making this type of rocket best used on Aliens with a particular vulnerability to flame. It can also be used as an area-suppressing tool against other ground units. Please consider that some governments may disapprove of a total scorched earth policy.

Drummerboy:"titan.. what? are you trying to tell me that some guy decided to rip a missile launcher off a plane, then redesign it so that a single soldier like me, can lug it around and blow S--- up?"
RustedSoul: " it is a little more complicated then that, but basically yes"
Drummerboy: "SWEET! i can't wait to try it...so um, what are you wearing?"

Since 1970, the Tube-launched, Optically tracked, Wire command-link guided (TOW) weapons system has been Earth's leading design in anti-tank warfare. Due to the fact that it either requires a 2-3 man team or vehicle attachment for operation, most military organizations have deemed it too inefficient for use by Special Forces, and they have sought solo-operated alternatives such as the RPG-7, LAW, and SMAW. In November of 2011, a German scientist by the name of Hans Steiner began development of the “Lone Soldat” (LS) Tank Destroyer. By combining the technological advances found in the Titan missile system with the TOW design base, Steiner was able to create a missile and launcher system that catered specifically to infantry in ground warfare. The [rocket launcher] has since developed into Earth’s finest solo-operated anti-tank weapon. As the LS’s reputation for effectiveness grew, so too did its demand. In order to capitalize on this strong demand, manufacturers in Germany limited the LS’s production, making it harder to acquire. Because of this marketing strategy, only government-funded military organizations are able to afford this weapon.

The LS’s 1-meter long stainless steel structure gives it a rugged exterior that protects most of the electrical components housed within, including the "free-floating light amplification scope" used to assist targeting. Operation of the [rocket launcher] is fairly simple; the user places the missile into the rear of the tube where it is locked into place with small spring-operated pressure plates. The LS is then mounted on one shoulder, and targeting is achieved though simple electronic targeting aids. When the trigger is pulled, the rocket propellant ignites, sending the rocket down the tube and on towards its target.

At each missile's forefront sits the pressure detonator, that is somewhat isolated within a depleted uranium housing. The detonator becomes active 1.3 seconds after launching to prevent premature detonation and injury to the user in case of a malfunction in the launching mechanism. Behind this detonator sits the selected compound (FE/CE, HE, or IC) and behind that, a fuel compartment filled with a modest quantity of aluminized ammonium perchlorate.

"I took out six of those damn Greys with one shot, all dug in wasting my platoon. Heck we'd all be dead if I hadn’t nuked them. It was just so easy, aim, pull the trigger, BOOM... no more problem. How the heck was I supposed to know that there were people there?!" -Corporal Jay. T Benson (Retired)