XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Neural Shielding Facility

Kamikazee

To say sth. about complexity...
If we have the time for it (read: if you all work a little bit faster... ;) ) I would like to have short abstracts of each CT, so that players who are not interested in the more complex exlplanations don't need to read the whole text. (Although we do have sth. like this already in the first § of each CT, wich is supposed to be a short introductory overview.)

So bottomline: Go for it. If you two want to have it more complex, do it. Sooner or later we will have our short version only containing the "all you need to know" facts.

On a personal note: You all know I love this techno babble, so don't expect me to interfere unless it gets too complex. :)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mad' date='May 2 2006, 03:47 PM']On a personal note: You all know I love this techno babble, so don't expect me to interfere unless it gets too complex. :)
[right][post="153466"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
That explains a lot, actually. LOL

Since we have your attention now, Mad, what do you think of the text in question? Is there anything which needs to be done yet? :)

- Zombie

[quote name='Zombie' date='May 2 2006, 11:46 PM']Since we have your attention now, Mad, what do you think of the text in question? Is there anything which needs to be done yet?  :)
[right][post="153467"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
You always have my attention. I just don't post all the time. :)

Regarding the CT:

[quote]Alien forces have used long-range Psionic detection of human brain-waves to locate areas of high population,[/quote]
Is that so? How do you know?

[quote]Powered by an energy system located in the lower floor of the module[/quote]
Don't start with the power system. Start with sth. important.

[quote]This particular arrangement emits a type of oscillation that[/quote]
Why only this particular arrangement? Maybe rephrase or explain.

What types of oscillation do you know? ;) In my terminology, oscillation reffers mostly to solid state physics or etherial stuff...

[quote]Built into two large circular elements[/quote]
What is their purpose?

[quote]The system measures the waves propagating from within its sensory area[/quote]
Where are the sensors? Do I have to build more then one device if my base grows?

You asked for it. :) I'm too tired.

- and firy rain came down from the skies, to burn all that was.

I'm out.

EDIT: does anybody know where to find the model of the Neural Shielding Facility? I seem to have lost it... thought it was in "base facilities texturing", but it's not there. help! :)

some clarifications built into the text now. was too lazy to color-code anything, but you will notice the differences (hopefully).

oh, btw, I don't know what it was like in the original game: does the presence of two or more Mind Shields decrease the chance of detection further? if so, we should mention that. if not, we should come up with an explanation. :)

[quote]Neural Shielding Facility
X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base Facilities/Neural Shielding Facility

With our recently gained advances in Psionic technology, a vast array of new applications is becoming available. The latest of these is the Neural Shielding Facility, designed in response to the frightening realization that Aliens may be able to pinpoint the location of our bases by our thought patterns alone.

According to recent findings, Alien forces have used long-range Psionic detection of human brain-waves to locate areas of high population, but only now we are realizing the sophistication of their techniques: to a degree, the Aliens also seem to be able to ascertain the content of such thought patterns. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people, also appear to be detectable, perhaps through some typical brain-waves involuntarily induced by X-Corps psychic training, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After we identified this gaping hole in X-Corps base security, we analyzed our former results in Psionic theory for a technique to mask these waves.

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. This particular arrangement, instead of entirely blocking brain-waves as the name implies, actually dampens them through destructive interference. Built into two large circular elements the device takes up two levels. The lower part of the system uses Fourier analysis of the waves propagating from within its sensory area and the upper part subsequently emits an inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, the probability of detection by enemy forces should be significantly decreased by masking the Psionic footprint of our bases.

The power consumption of the Neural Shielding Facility is rather high, necessitating an expensive additional reactor unit. Also, the delicate technology involved requires constant technical service, resulting in high maintenance costs. However, the tactical advantage of secrecy cannot be taken lightly. Remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks, so building a Neural Shielding Facility in each X-Corps base is highly recommended.

"This device, when activated, reduces the apparent brain-wave output of a fully staffed XCorps base to that of a typical politician."
-from "Neural Shielding Facility Operating Manual"[/quote] Edited by Moriarty

[quote][i]Due to its enormous power consumption, [/i]the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, the probability of detection by enemy forces should be significantly decreased by masking the Psionic footprint of our bases.

[i]The power consumption of the Neural Shielding Facility is rather high[/i], necessitating an expensive additional reactor unit.[/quote]

Double mentioning of it's high energy consumption.

Nice catch. :)

[quote name='Moriarty' date='May 4 2006, 02:17 PM']oh, btw, I don't know what it was like in the original game: does the presence of two or more Mind Shields decrease the chance of detection further? if so, we should mention that. if not, we should come up with an explanation. :)[right][post="153516"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
As far as I know, more than one facility of this type doesn't decrease the chances of the aliens finding a base. That's why I changed the text to read: "so building [b]a[/b] Neural Shielding Facility in each X-Corps base is highly recommended." ;)

- Zombie Edited by Zombie

resolved. added a sentence about more than one facility not doing any good.

anything else?

With our recently gained advances in Psionic technology, a vast array of new applications is becoming available. The latest of these is the Neural Shielding Facility, designed in response to the frightening realization that Aliens may be able to pinpoint the location of our bases by our thought patterns alone.

According to recent findings, Alien forces have used long-range Psionic detection of human brain-waves to locate areas of high population, but only now we are realizing the sophistication of their techniques: to a degree, the Aliens also seem to be able to ascertain the content of such thought patterns. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people, also appear to be detectable, perhaps through some typical brain-waves involuntarily induced by X-Corps psychic training, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After we identified this gaping hole in X-Corps base security, we analyzed our former results in Psionic theory for a technique to mask these waves.

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. This particular arrangement, instead of entirely blocking brain-waves as the name implies, actually dampens them through destructive interference. Built into two large circular elements the device takes up two levels. The lower part of the system uses Fourier analysis of the waves propagating from within its sensory area and the upper part subsequently emits an inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, the probability of detection by enemy forces should be significantly decreased by masking the Psionic footprint of our bases.

The aforementioned energy system is the main reason for the significant cost of building the Neural Shielding Facility. At the same time, the delicate technology involved in requires constant technical service, resulting in high maintenance costs. However, the tactical advantage of secrecy cannot be taken lightly. Remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks, so building one Neural Shielding Facility in each X-Corps base is highly recommended. Building more than one will not result in better concealment.

"This device, when activated, reduces the apparent brain-wave output of a fully staffed XCorps base to that of a typical politician."
-from "Neural Shielding Facility Operating Manual"[/quote]

[quote]but only now we are realizing the sophistication of their techniques:[/quote]
Why only now? What have these lazy scientists been up to before? Why do I even pay them?

edit: [quote]This particular arrangement, instead of entirely blocking brain-waves as the name implies,[/quote]
I'm stil lnot too happy with "this particular arrangement". Is this only me? I think it sounds awkward.
[quote]The lower part of the system uses Fourier analysis[/quote]
why does it take this structure? maybe use the lower part as sensor array and a somewhere located computer for the FFT, or let the enzymes do the waveform conversion.
[quote]The aforementioned energy system is the main reason for the significant cost of building the Neural Shielding Facility[/quote]
Sorry, but I think this sounds kind of... bumpy. Maybe just leave it out. or Use a "...resulting in very high building and maintenance costs" in the sentence where the power source is mentioned. Edited by Mad

Before: "This particular arrangement, instead of entirely blocking brain-waves as the name implies, actually dampens them through destructive interference."

How about this? : "Instead of entirely blocking brain-waves as the name implies, this particular arrangement actually dampens them through destructive interference."

The last two sentences in the fourth paragraph have some of the same wording.

[quote]Remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks, so building one Neural Shielding Facility in each X-Corps base is highly recommended. Building more than one will not result in better concealment.[/quote]
You could probably use "costructing" instead of "building", and "suppression" or "camouflage" instead of "concealment". ;)

- Zombie Edited by Zombie

[quote name='Zombie' date='May 4 2006, 11:26 PM']Before: "This particular arrangement, instead of entirely blocking brain-waves as the name implies, actually dampens them through destructive interference."

How about this? : "Instead of entirely blocking brain-waves as the name implies, this particular arrangement actually dampens them through destructive interference."
[right][post="153524"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
The problem is, that it's not a special thing, that they only dampen. The other way around it would make sense: "This particular design allows a complete anhilating of brainwaves instead of just blocking them as our previous designs did." but this is not the case. It's nothing to be proud of. No great feature. this is, why I think "This particular design" doesn't fit here. You know, if it's this particular design that only dampens the waves, why the heck didn't you take one of the 10000 other designs you tried, where the brainwaves were completely "blocked"?

[quote name='Moriarty' date='May 5 2006, 06:33 AM']actually, "this particular arrangement" is just an explanation reference to "cancellation grid".
[right][post="153530"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I thought so, but it doesn't read that way. I see the problem here, and I lack ideas to rephrase - maybe I'll come up with sth during the day - but I really think this should be either rephrased or completely left out and the fact that it does not block but cancel the waves out explained somewhere else. But then again, I'm no native speaker, plus I don't want to be a pain in the donkey for no reason, so maybe you could say sth. to this Zombie?

Umm, yeah. Sorry for the delay guys. :blush1:

I'll agree with you on this, Mad. Remove the sentence. Seems like the easiest fix here as rewording may never actually solve the problem. :)

- Zombie

soo? any development on this? I don't think I have to tell you we haven't even matched our goal of finishing 5 CTs in 2 weeks. But at least I'd like to finish this one soon. maybe this weekend?

Well, if Moriarty isn't working on this then I suppose I'll take a stab at it later this week (busy right now). There really isn't much left to do on it, so completing it shouldn't take too long. =b

- Zombie

[quote name='Zombie' date='May 17 2006, 03:53 AM']Well, if Moriarty isn't working on this then I suppose I'll take a stab at it later this week (busy right now). There really isn't much left to do on it, so completing it shouldn't take too long.  =b

- Zombie
[right][post="153750"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

oops, sorry, I was kind of waiting for you to work on it. I hought you had said something about finishing it, but scanning through the thread now, I can't seem to find that anymore :)

• 2 weeks later...
is this what you had in mind?

The recent investigation of psionics has uncovered the sophistication of the Aliens' methods: to a degree, the Aliens appear to be able to determine the content of thought patterns over a distance of a few hundred kilometers. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people, appear to be detectable, perhaps through some typical brain-waves involuntarily induced by X-Corps basic training, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After we identified this gaping hole in X-Corps base security, we analyzed our former results in Psionic theory for a technique to mask these waves.

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. Although it does not block brain-waves entirely, as the name implies, it dampens them through destructive interference. Built into two large circular elements the device takes up two levels. The lower part of the system is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its sensory area. After Fourier analysis and computerized waveform inversion, the upper part subsequently emits this inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, the probability of detection by enemy forces should be significantly decreased by masking the Psionic footprint of our bases.

The auxiliary energy system and the sophistication of the psionic transceiver system are the main reasons for the significant cost of building the Neural Shielding Facility. At the same time, the delicate technology involved requires constant technical service, resulting in high maintenance costs. However, the tactical advantage of secrecy cannot be taken lightly. Remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks, so building one Neural Shielding Facility in each X-Corps base is highly recommended. Building more than one will not result in better concealment.

-from "Neural Shielding Facility Operating Manual"[/quote] Edited by Moriarty

[quote name='Moriarty' date='May 30 2006, 04:19 PM']is this what you had in mind?
[right][post="154105"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Something like this :D Will read it this evening. Promised! :)

You had a good day, had you Moriarty? :) I really like it.
Any nitpickers? You have 48 hours to tare this CT apart. After that it will be gone forever... to the juicy grounds of the sacred "Complete: Creative Text" :)

I'm having a great month, actually. I finished my exams, which makes me officially a doctor now (well, "physician", actually, since I haven't finished my doctorate thesis, but you know what I mean) and I will probably have a job by the end of the week. ta-daaa... actually earning money will be something new and hopefully a lot of fun :)

[quote name='Moriarty' date='May 30 2006, 06:35 PM']I'm having a great month, actually. I finished my exams, which makes me officially a doctor now (well, "physician", actually, since I haven't finished my doctorate thesis, but you know what I mean) and I will probably have a job by the end of the week. ta-daaa... actually earning money will be something new and hopefully a lot of fun :)
[right][post="154120"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Congrats collegue! Guess someone was a little bit faster than me. :) I always thought you were doing something like biochemistry. What are you doing for your thesis? (And where the heck did you get a job [i]that [/i]fast?) Edited by Mad

something about transdifferentiation of myeloic blasts into dendritic cells. part of a tumorimmunology thing, but the final title of the thesis has yet to be determined :)

and about the job, well, I do have some connections in the faculty, being a long-time member of the council (all part of being a student's association member). it is actually the third job I've been offered... it's all about knowing the right people (or rather, the right people knowing you) ^_^

[quote name='Moriarty' date='May 31 2006, 12:14 AM']something about transdifferentiation of myeloic blasts into dendritic cells. part of a tumorimmunology thing, but the final title of the thesis has yet to be determined :)
[right][post="154138"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Cool stuff. I always loved Immunology. Dendritic cells like the CD11 expressing kind of them? But I always thought myeloic blasts are dammed to be neutrophilic granulozytes? You'll have to send me a link to your thesis once you are done :D, this sounds pretty fascinating.

[quote]and about the job, well, I do have some connections in the faculty, being a long-time member of the council (all part of being a student's association member). it is actually the third job I've been offered... it's all about knowing the right people (or rather, the right people knowing you)  ^_^
[right][post="154138"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Aww... Not fair! ;) Congrats! :)

Edit: interpunctation messed up. ^_^ Edited by Mad

[quote name='Mad' date='May 30 2006, 11:08 AM']Any nitpickers? You have 48 hours to tare this CT apart. After that it will be gone forever...  to the juicy grounds of the sacred "Complete: Creative Text" :)
[right][post="154119"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Just a minor restructuring of the last sentence in paragraph three:

The recent investigation of psionics has uncovered the sophistication of the Aliens' methods: to a degree, the Aliens appear to be able to determine the content of thought patterns over a distance of a few hundred kilometers. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people, appear to be detectable, perhaps through some typical brain-waves involuntarily induced by X-Corps basic training, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After we identified this gaping hole in X-Corps base security, we analyzed our former results in Psionic theory for a technique to mask these waves.

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. Although it does not block brain-waves entirely, as the name implies, it dampens them through destructive interference. Built into two large circular elements the device takes up two levels. The lower part of the system is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its sensory area. After Fourier analysis and computerized waveform inversion, the upper part subsequently emits this inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, masking the Psionic footprint of our bases should significantly decrease the probability of detection by enemy forces.

The auxiliary energy system and the sophistication of the psionic transceiver system are the main reasons for the significant cost of building the Neural Shielding Facility. At the same time, the delicate technology involved requires constant technical service, resulting in high maintenance costs. However, the tactical advantage of secrecy cannot be taken lightly. Remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks, so building one Neural Shielding Facility in each X-Corps base is highly recommended. Building more than one will not result in better concealment.

-from "Neural Shielding Facility Operating Manual"[/quote]
Other than that, it looks good to me. :)

- Zombie

[quote name='Zombie' date='Jun 2 2006, 07:03 AM'][...]
According to our calculations, masking the Psionic footprint of our bases should significantly decrease the probability of detection by enemy forces.
[...][right][post="154214"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Yap, good catch!

• 4 weeks later...

So, Mad. Is this text to be considered as finished? I looked at it again and it reads good. Any suggestions on your part? Otherwise let's move this one. :)

- Zombie

NEURAL SHIELDING FACILITY

The recent investigation of psionics has uncovered the sophistication of the Aliens' methods: to a degree, the Aliens appear to be able to determine the content of thought patterns over a distance of a few hundred kilometers. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people, appear to be detectable, perhaps through some typical brainwaves involuntarily induced by X-Corps basic training, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After we identified this gaping hole in X-Corps base security, we analyzed our former results in Psionic theory for a technique to mask these waves.

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. Although it does not block brainwaves entirely, as the name implies, it dampens them through destructive interference. Built into two large circular elements the device takes up two levels. The lower part of the system is a sensory array, which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its sensory area. After Fourier analysis and computerized waveform inversion, the upper part subsequently emits this inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, masking the Psionic footprint of our bases should significantly decrease the probability of detection by enemy forces.

"This device, when activated, reduces the apparent brainwave output of a fully staffed X-Corps base to that of a typical politician."

-from "Neural Shielding Facility Operating Manual"

Very nice :). Indeed, it's complete.

Just a minor notice: At the last sentence, could you explain why building more facilities won't help? It's a bit difficult to explain why, although it seems rational somehow... Weird :\

You could say that "Due to enormous energy requirements and maintenance costs, building more than one shielding facilites wouldn't be cost efficient. In addition, there would be no appreciable change in the machine's effectiveness."

Edited by kafros

I know this is well after the 48 hour grace period, but I thoguht I'd take a gander through the text. It looks good; virtually all my comments are minor suggestions on phrasing, but they aren't all that necessary. I've italicized the parts of the text that my comments refer to.

Neural Shielding Facility

With our recently gained advances recent advances/latest advances? (the next paragraph uses recent) in Psionic technology, a vast array of new applications is becoming available. The latest of these The latest of which? is the Neural Shielding Facility, designed in response to the frightening realization that Aliens may be able may possess the ability/may possess the means? to pinpoint the location of our bases by our thought patterns alone.

The Recent investigation of psionics has uncovered the sophistication of the Aliens' methods: to a degree, the Aliens appear to be able to determine the content of thought patterns over a distance of a few hundred kilometers. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people despite their relatively low population?, appear to be detectable can be detected?, perhaps through some typical brain-waves involuntarily induced by X-Corps basic training perhaps through reflexive thought-patterns somehow induced by X-Corps conditioning?, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After we identified After identifying? this gaping hole oversight? in X-Corps base security, we analyzed our former results we revisited our previous research? in Psionic theory for a technique to mask these waves.

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. Although it does not block brain-waves entirely, as the name implies, it dampens them through destructive interference. Built into two large circular elements the device takes up two levels This two-story facility consists of two large (horizontal?) circular elements?. The lower part section/portion? of the system is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its sensory area. After Fourier analysis and computerized waveform inversion, the upper part subsequently emits this inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, masking the Psionic footprint of our bases should significantly decrease the probability of detection by enemy forces.

The auxiliary energy system and the sophistication of the psionic transceiver system are the main primary? reasons for the significant cost of building the Neural Shielding Facility. At the same time, the delicate technology involved requires constant technical service, resulting in high maintenance costs. However, the tactical advantage of secrecy cannot be taken lightly. Remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks, so building one Neural Shielding Facility in each X-Corps base is highly recommended. Building more than one will not result in better concealment.

Edited by Astyanax

Thanks for the comments, guys. Will have a look at your proposals tonight and report back. :Hyper:

- Zombie

Well, I spent a little time and tried to use as much as I could from your suggestions. There actually was quite a bit that needed to be done. Surprising. Changes in blue, strikethroughs for removals. Anyhow this is what I came up with:

With recent advances in Psionic technology, a vast array of new applications is becoming available. The latest of which is the Neural Shielding Facility, designed in response to the frightening realization that Aliens may possess the ability to pinpoint the location of our bases by our thought patterns alone.

Contemporary investigation in the field of psionics has uncovered the sophistication of the Aliens' methods: to a degree, they appear to be able to determine the content of human thought patterns over a distance of a few hundred kilometers. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people, can be detected, perhaps through some typical brain-waves involuntarily induced by X-Corps basic training, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After identifying this gaping hole in X-Corps base security, we re-examined our previous research into Psionic theory for a technique to mask these waves.

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. Although it does not block brain-waves entirely, as the name implies, it dampens them through destructive interference. This two-story facility consists of two large circular elements. The lower part of the system component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its sensory area detection limit. After Fourier analysis and computerized waveform inversion, the upper part subsequently emits this inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, masking the Psionic footprint of our bases should significantly decrease the probability of detection by enemy forces.

Supplemental energy requirements and complexity of the psionic transceiver is the primary reason for the significant cost of building the Neural Shielding Facility. At the same time, the delicate technology involved requires constant technical service, resulting in high maintenance costs. The tactical advantage of secrecy cannot be taken lightly as remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks. Due to the enormous energy and maintenance costs, building more than one shielding facility would not be cost efficient. In addition, there would be no appreciable change in the machine's overall effectiveness.

"This device, when activated, reduces the apparent brainwave output of a fully staffed X-Corps base to that of a typical politician."

How's that? As you can see I reworded a few sentences and removed some wording.

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

Thanks. :blush1:

Well, I read it again and it does flow better. Though one sentence in particular did stick out:

After Fourier analysis and computerized waveform inversion, the upper part subsequently emits this inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude.

This needs to be reworded somewhat as "waveform" and "inversion/inverted" are mentioned in a couple places. Perhaps something like this would be better:

After Fourier analysis and computerized waveform inversion, the upper part subsequently emits this reversed signal, greatly reducing the original waves amplitude.

Or... something like that. ;)

- Zombie

You're right about the repetition of "invert"... Hm, maybe take out "and computerized waveform inversion" because it can be implied? Maybe something like:

This two-story facility consists of two large circular elements connected to a dual-core supercomputer. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After near-instantaneous Fourier analysis and computerized waveform inversion, the upper part subsequently emits this a digitally-inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude.
Edited by Astyanax

Yup, that reads good. Any way of changing it again to reduce the use of hyphenated words? That would make it look better too. :)

Here, let me post the latest version so we can see everything in one place:

With recent advances in Psionic technology, a vast array of new applications is becoming available. The latest of which is the Neural Shielding Facility, designed in response to the frightening realization that Aliens may possess the ability to pinpoint the location of our bases by thought patterns alone.

Contemporary investigation in the field of psionics has uncovered the sophistication of the Aliens' methods: to a degree, they appear to be able to determine the content of human thought patterns over a distance of a few hundred kilometers. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people, can be detected, perhaps through some typical brain-waves involuntarily induced by X-Corps basic training, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After identifying this gaping hole in X-Corps base security, we re-examined our previous research into Psionic theory for a technique to mask these waves.

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. Although it does not block brain-waves entirely, as the name implies, it dampens them through destructive interference. This two-story facility consists of two large circular elements connected to a dual-core supercomputer. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After near-instantaneous Fourier analysis, the upper part subsequently emits a digitally-inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, masking the Psionic footprint of our bases should significantly decrease the probability of detection by enemy forces.

Supplemental energy requirements and complexity of the psionic transceiver is the primary reason for the significant cost of building the Neural Shielding Facility. At the same time, the delicate technology involved requires constant technical service, resulting in high maintenance costs. The tactical advantage of secrecy cannot be taken lightly as remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks. Due to the enormous energy and maintenance costs, building more than one shielding facility would not be cost efficient. In addition, there would be no appreciable change in the machine's overall effectiveness.

- Zombie

Whoa, I didn't even notice all the hyphens I added! :P How about this?

This two-story facility consists of two large circular elements connected to a dual-core specialized supercomputer. The lower component disk? is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After near-instantaneous rapid Fourier analysis, the upper part subsequently emits a digitally-inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude.

I used some of your ideas and also plopped some of my own in there too.

This two-story facility consists of two large circular elements connected to a quantum supercomputer. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After rapid Fourier analysis, the upper part subsequently emits a digitally-inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude.

I nixed the "two-story" as right next to it is "two large". Can't have all those two's. Dual-core is good, but in the future these are probably run-of-the-mill. I'm hoping that the quantum computer is invented before the plot to Xenocide unfolds. Sounds a little more high-tech too. :)

- Zombie

Looks great. Can't have two two's together; that'd be a two too many. :P

Not too sure about the quantum part, though... It's not bad, it's just that I'm not entirely sure what's in the other CTs nowadays. :huh?: If it's consistent, it's all good.

Edited by Astyanax

Well we do have cell processor in the motion sensor... Don't know about the other ones, think it's not mentioned. But I think using the quantum comp. might be a problem. Realistcally spoken, a quantum comp. might be available around 2030. Since we are trying to be "realistic" with our starting equipment, and there is no CT speaking about a leap ahead in quantum technology, this might pose a problem. Maybe try to think of sth. better. Maybe just use replicated Alien technology?

Ugh, yeah the quantum computer could be a problem then. Using recovered alien co-processors is something to consider. But then again, you would have to research how the darn things work in order to use them properly. Lets see... attach wire b to alien input a... *processor starts to sizzle and smoke*. Oops, that's not right! :)

Maybe the aliens invented a quantum computer. ROFL JK

Well, what's your take Mad? Go ahead with alien technology or revert to the way it was before? I'm willing to entertain any suggestions.

- Zombie

Ugh, yeah the quantum computer could be a problem then. Using recovered alien co-processors is something to consider. But then again, you would have to research how the darn things work in order to use them properly. Lets see... attach wire b to alien input a... *processor starts to sizzle and smoke*. Oops, that's not right! :)

Well, what's your take Mad? Go ahead with alien technology or revert to the way it was before? I'm willing to entertain any suggestions.

- Zombie

If the supercomputer is chiefly doing fourier analysis, then you could be using SAW (surface accoustic wave) chips.

- Zombie

If the supercomputer is chiefly doing fourier analysis, then you could be using SAW (surface accoustic wave) chips.

well, yes, that sounds nice.... "computed by an array of highly specialized surface accoustic wave (SAW) chips...". Sounds nice... :)

As for reverse engeneering Alien tech... well, I guess that is something our guys do for breakfast... :P

Mkay, how about this text then?

This facility consists of two large circular elements coupled to a supercomputer utilizing an interconnected group of highly specialized surface acoustic wave chips. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After rapid Fourier analysis, the upper part subsequently emits a digitally-inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude.

I used the proposed text (slightly modified of course) in the first sentence. Better? :)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

LOL, the reason why I used "an interconnected group" was because the next sentence contains "array". I tried fooling around with the second sentence to remove (or reword) "array", but it wasn't pretty - hence the nomenclature in the first sentence. ;)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

LOL, the reason why I used "an interconnected group" was because the next sentence contains "array". I tried fooling around with the second sentence to remove (or reword) "array", but it wasn't pretty - hence the nomenclature in the first sentence. ;)

- Zombie

LOL, I've gotta pay more attention... :P I dunno, maybe network?

Nothing inherently wrong with "interconnected group"; it could work as is... but it's kind of a feel. Interconnected sounds pretty neat, but group is sort of generic, so I was trying to think of an alternative. Usually when a text is highly polished and (imho) on the verge of completion, I try to see if there's absolutely anything that could be polished further. Obviously, I couldn't find much. ^_^ Edited by Astyanax

Like this? :

This facility consists of two large circular elements coupled to a supercomputer utilizing a network of highly specialized surface acoustic wave chips. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After rapid Fourier analysis, the upper part subsequently emits a digitally-inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude.

Network is a better word than "interconnected group" and describes the situation more. At the time, I couldn't think of it though. :wink1:

- Zombie