XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Neural Shielding Facility

Kamikazee

Yeah, that's more like it. :)

But that's weird... The first sentence looks a bit odd to me now... I guess there's some confusion over what utilizes the wave chips- the circular elements or the supercomputer?

Maybe:

This facility consists of two large circular elements coupled to a supercomputer utilizing a via networks of highly specialized surface acoustic wave chips.
Alternatively, it could also be "...via a network..." But this means that the elements are attached to the wave chips which are attached to the supercomputer... should it be elements-supercomputer-wave chips instead?

Sorry for the endless nitpicks. :(

Edited by Astyanax

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confusion for you perhaps, but not for me. :wink1: The term "elements" refers to the facility itself. Element one is the sensory array (or detection), while element two is the "broadcast" (or emission) part of the structure. Both sub-structures are coupled by the supercomputer which utilizes acoustic wave chips to create the inverted waveform. Does that explain it better? Try reading the paragraph again, Asty:

This facility consists of two large circular elements coupled to a supercomputer utilizing a network of highly specialized surface acoustic wave chips. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After rapid Fourier analysis, the upper part subsequently emits a digitally-inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude.

Make sense? ;)

- Zombie

It's very nice people :)

Just a comment:

rapid Fourier analysis = Fast Fourier Transform,

because:

The Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) is one of the most important family of algorithms in applied and computational mathematics. These are the algorithms that make most of signal processing, and hence modern telecommunications possible. The most basic divide and conquer approach was originally discovered by Gauss for the efficient interpolation of asteroidal orbits. Since then, various versions of the algorithm have been discovered and rediscovered many times, culminating with the publishing of Cooley and Tukey's landmark paper, "An algorithm for machine calculation of complex Fourier series"

"Fast Fourier" is THE correct name, but you could change "transform" to "analysis" if you prefer

Edited by kafros

It reads fine with transform so I used that. Draft:

Neural Shielding Facility

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Base Facilities/Neural Shielding Facility

With recent advances in Psionic technology, a vast array of new applications is becoming available. The latest of which is the Neural Shielding Facility, designed in response to the frightening realization that Aliens may possess the ability to pinpoint the location of our bases by thought patterns alone.

Contemporary investigation in the field of psionics has uncovered the sophistication of the Aliens' methods: to a degree, they appear to be able to determine the content of human thought patterns over a distance of a few hundred kilometers. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people, can be detected, perhaps through some typical brain-waves involuntarily induced by X-Corps basic training, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After identifying this gaping hole in X-Corps base security, we re-examined our previous research into Psionic theory for a technique to mask these waves.

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. Although it does not block brain-waves entirely, as the name implies, it dampens them through destructive interference. This facility consists of two large circular elements coupled to a supercomputer utilizing a network of highly specialized surface acoustic wave chips. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After Fast Fourier Transform (FFT), the upper part subsequently emits a digitally-inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, masking the Psionic footprint of our bases should significantly decrease the probability of detection by enemy forces.

Supplemental energy requirements and complexity of the psionic transceiver is the primary reason for the significant cost of building the Neural Shielding Facility. At the same time, the delicate technology involved requires constant technical service, resulting in high maintenance costs. The tactical advantage of secrecy cannot be taken lightly as remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks. Due to the enormous energy and maintenance costs, building more than one shielding facility would not be cost efficient. In addition, there would be no appreciable change in the machine's overall effectiveness.

"This device, when activated, reduces the apparent brainwave output of a fully staffed X-Corps base to that of a typical politician."

-from "Neural Shielding Facility Operating Manual"

Good? Anyone else? :D

- Zombie

After Fast Fourier Transform (FFT)...
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but FFT is an algorithm.

Maybe I misunderstood the meaning of that phrase, but I don't think it's correct. I guess someone couldn't say "After quick sort, the data array is organised" for example. I don't have a clear mind right now, but I would propose: "After being analysed with Fast Fourier Transform (FFT), the signal..."

What do you think?

Actually, even my proposal is a bit stupid... In Digital Signal Processing, Fourier Transformations in general are a vital part of the process. It's like saying "...by using advanced differential calculus, we managed...". Yes, of course you did, that's the tool you have!

So, I think we should keep it simple: "After some extensive digital singal processing (DSP),..."

Hrm. Why don't we keep the text in question the way it was before?

This facility consists of two large circular elements coupled to a supercomputer utilizing a network of highly specialized surface acoustic wave chips. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After rapid Fourier analysis, the upper part subsequently emits a digitally-inverted waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude.

To me, DSP always sounds like yesterday's technology even though it is a recent development. ;)

- Zombie

I kinda think the DSP stuff might be too much detail.

A couple minor comments:

Maybe change "Fast Fourier Transform (FFT)" to "Fast Fourier Analysis"? The transform is a bit close to waveform and that affects the flow, but that's just my style, so don't worry about it if it's not your style. On the plus side, though, the alteration also eliminates the need for the DSP stuff... :P

The other thing is I think you should omit (FFT) because the acronym is never again used in the text- it's sort of extraneous.

It seems that this text is in its homestretch... good work, Zombie. :)

Edited by Astyanax

How's about "rapid Fourier analysis" instead? If so, check out the quote box in my last post. No DSP, no FFT, just the text before it went through some suggestions. =b

This was a team effort, Asty. I couldn't have finished it without everyones help and input. :)

- Zombie

Here again, the term "FFT" (along with"Fast Fourier Transform") was nixed a while back. This is what the text in question liiks like right now:

If the theory is wrong, or if the phrase "rapid Fourier analysis" doesn't suit the text, please suggest an alternative. :wink1:

- Zombie

Here again, the term "FFT" (along with"Fast Fourier Transform") was nixed a while back. This is what the text in question liiks like right now:

If the theory is wrong, or if the phrase "rapid Fourier analysis" doesn't suit the text, please suggest an alternative. :wink1:

- Zombie

Fourier analysis is used when you want to do frequency domain processing, (And the FFT is generally the building block of Fourier analysis - there are a couple of special case variants, DFT and CFT, but they're not commonly used.) However, what you're after is time domain processing - an inverted waveform (probably with echo cancellation, to compensate for the signal you're emitting being picked up by the input sensors) so what you'd probably use is a FIR (finite impulse response) filter.

To be honest, I think you're being to detailed, and the text I'd use is:

This facility consists of two large circular elements coupled to a supercomputer utilizing a network of highly specialized surface acoustic wave chips. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After analysis, the upper part subsequently emits a cancelling waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude.

I don't know much about DSP, although for the next 4 years it will be my field of study (together with other things) in university. Will have work to do ;)

Actually, that quoted text is even better. "Reducing the original signal's amplitude" isn't really needed (because that's what an inverted signal does when it meets the original signal), although it makes clear what the facility does.

Very nice =b

Very well, text updated:

With recent advances in Psionic technology, a vast array of new applications is becoming available. The latest of which is the Neural Shielding Facility, designed in response to the frightening realization that Aliens may possess the ability to pinpoint the location of our bases by thought patterns alone.

Contemporary investigation in the field of psionics has uncovered the sophistication of the Aliens' methods: to a degree, they appear to be able to determine the content of human thought patterns over a distance of a few hundred kilometers. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people, can be detected, perhaps through some typical brain-waves involuntarily induced by X-Corps basic training, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After identifying this gaping hole in X-Corps base security, we re-examined our previous research into Psionic theory for a technique to mask these waves.

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. Although it does not block brain-waves entirely, as the name implies, it dampens them through destructive interference. This facility consists of two large circular elements coupled to a supercomputer utilizing a network of highly specialized surface acoustic wave chips. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After analysis, the upper part subsequently emits a cancelling waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, masking the Psionic footprint of our bases should significantly decrease the probability of detection by enemy forces.

Supplemental energy requirements and complexity of the psionic transceiver is the primary reason for the significant cost of building the Neural Shielding Facility. At the same time, the delicate technology involved requires constant technical service, resulting in high maintenance costs. The tactical advantage of secrecy cannot be taken lightly as remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks. Due to the enormous energy and maintenance costs, building more than one shielding facility would not be cost efficient. In addition, there would be no appreciable change in the machine's overall effectiveness.

"This device, when activated, reduces the apparent brainwave output of a fully staffed X-Corps base to that of a typical politician."

Anything else?

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...

Change "latest of which" to "latest of these" in the first para:

With recent advances in Psionic technology, a vast array of new applications is becoming available. The latest of these is the Neural Shielding Facility, designed in response to the frightening realization that Aliens may possess the ability to pinpoint the location of our bases by thought patterns alone.

I suppose that's the type of thing the Proofreaders will catch, but I like to hear myself talk :)

Change "latest of which" to "latest of these" in the first para:

With recent advances in Psionic technology, a vast array of new applications is becoming available. The latest of these is the Neural Shielding Facility, designed in response to the frightening realization that Aliens may possess the ability to pinpoint the location of our bases by thought patterns alone.

I suppose that's the type of thing the Proofreaders will catch, but I like to hear myself talk :)

good catch! And we all like to hear you talk... ;)

Good job!

Completed and off to proofreading!

The newly developed Neural Shielding Facility harnesses a large array of subunits containing the same special enzymes found in the Psionic Amplifier to establish a cancellation grid. Although it does not block brain-waves entirely, as the name implies, it dampens them through destructive interference. This facility consists of two large circular elements coupled to a supercomputer utilizing a network of highly specialized surface acoustic wave chips. The lower component is a sensory array which receives the psionic waves propagating from within its detection limit. After analysis, the upper part subsequently emits a cancelling waveform, greatly reducing the original signal's amplitude. Due to its enormous power consumption, the facility is equipped with an energy system located in the lower floor of the module. According to our calculations, masking the Psionic footprint of our bases should significantly decrease the probability of detection by enemy forces.

• 1 month later...

A few small changes: uncapitalizing an instance of "psionic", capitalizing reference to another CT, and a small grammar correction.

A couple of minor suggestions for para. 4- these are just alternate word choices and do not need to be changed: "Supplemental energy requirements and complexity of the psionic transceiver are the primary reasons for the significant construction cost of the Neural Shielding Facility. At the same time, the delicate technology involved requires constant upkeep, resulting in high maintenance costs. "

In any case, the text below gets my clean bill of health. =b to all!

With recent advances in psionic technology, a vast array of new applications is becoming available. The latest of these is the Neural Shielding Facility, designed in response to the frightening realization that Aliens may possess the ability to pinpoint the location of our bases by thought patterns alone.

Contemporary investigation in the field of psionics has uncovered the sophistication of the Aliens' methods: to a degree, they appear to be able to determine the content of human thought patterns over a distance of a few hundred kilometers. X-Corps bases, even with relatively few people, can be detected, perhaps through some typical brain-waves involuntarily induced by X-Corps basic training, or by the fact that all personnel exude defiance towards the Alien incursion instead of the usual terror exhibited by civilian populations. After identifying this gaping hole in X-Corps base security, we re-examined our previous research into Psionic Theory for a technique to mask these waves.

Supplemental energy requirements and complexity of the psionic transceiver are the primary reasons for the significant cost of building the Neural Shielding Facility. At the same time, the delicate technology involved requires constant technical service, resulting in high maintenance costs. The tactical advantage of secrecy cannot be taken lightly as remaining concealed from Alien forces reduces the likelihood of costly base attacks. Due to the enormous energy and maintenance costs, building more than one shielding facility would not be cost efficient. In addition, there would be no appreciable change in the machine's overall effectiveness.

Hm, maybe there's one thing more that might be addressed. If the player has made it this far into the game without the Aliens finding a base, maybe suggest that recent appearance of larger, better UFOs that presumably have greater psi detection abilities pose a growing threat to X-Corps security? I don't know if this is true or not, though.

Edited by Astyanax

• 3 weeks later...