XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Issue #162: Alien Retaliation

Guest KillZone

Fair enough. I was trying to reword so that "efficient" wasn't used so close together. The first sentence of the next paragraph reads:

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element with astonishing efficiency; the lack of time to properly prepare for the alien assault prohibits any sort of evacuation.

See, the "efficient" aspect gets lost after a while. (Same as if you cry "Wolf! one to many times).

Perhaps "proficiency" is a better choice for the text above? :)

- Zombie

Didn't notice that :O

Yes, wonderful suggestion! j00 r0ck :D

Edit: Including Zombie's suggestions and making some more changes:

==========

ALIEN RETALIATION

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/Alien Retaliation

Aggressive alien activity occurs in various forms, such as offensive ground tactics, returned fire from UFO's and terror attacks. All include aspects of aggravated response to X-Corps intervention. However, this form of counterstrike is mainly opportunistic, responding to the immediate threat without further planning or forethought.

Alien retaliation missions are direct strikes against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their operations and logistics probably are the main cause for the Aliens to perform this efficiently deployed assault against X-Corps. The fact that they might risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their activities has a more profound impact than we currently realize.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element with astonishing proficiency; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the alien assault prohibits any sort of evacuation. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel or raze the base trying. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression must be counter-measured as soon as possible. Reactionary activities like UFO interception in such a limited timeframe will possibly prove difficult to accomplish. In case the attacking vessel manages to break through the bases’ perimeter, the teams appointed as base defense staff should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with no chance of escape and the possibility of fighting against overwhelming odds.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention would be an act of desperation, and is not an option. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our only effective countermeasures are evasion and concealment. To attack the X-Corps, the base must first be located, which requires aerial scouting and reconnaissance by UFO’s. Hindering hostile air activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to break through, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their very lives. This type of Alien activity, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps’ personnel and resources. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling of these attacks.

- Well, let's stuff every proximity mine we have in the Access facility and blow up the landing pads!

- So, how are we supposed to exit the base after they postpone their attack?

- Well... I didn’t think of that…

Conversation between rookies

Edited by kafros

• 1 month later...

I apologize in advance if my comments are kind of harsh, but I tried to put myself in the position of the reader, and there are parts that are confusing. The parts I have commented on largely deal with internal consistency, logic, and the clarification. Once these details are addressed, I feel that the text will be very strong, but given the nature of the changes required, I think this text should go back to Active for the time being.

ALIEN RETALIATION

Aggressive Alien activity occurs in various forms, such as offensive ground tactics, return fire from UFO's and terror attacks. All include aspects of aggravated response to X-Corps intervention. However, this form of counterstrike is mainly opportunistic, responding to the immediate threat without further planning or forethought.

Sent. 2-3 in the above paragraph are inconsistent. The Alien Goal CT basically says that the Aliens want to assimilate Earth/Earthlings. This is their motivation; X-Corps intervention has little role in the Alien motivations behind Alien Harvest, but the Alien Terror CT says that the motivation is unclear. These missions may indeed be opportunistic, but they are neither responses with little planning nor are they responses to immediate threats. The Aliens are perfectly capable of completing their missions, but it is X-Corps intervention that disrupts their plans. Return fire from UFOs is a response to an immediate threat, but it is not opportunistic. Also, return fire is not aggressive (sent. 1); it's defensive instead.

Alien retaliation missions are direct strikes against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their operations and logistics probably are the main cause for the Aliens to perform this efficiently deployed assault against X-Corps. The fact that they might risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their activities has a more profound impact than we currently realize.

If the assault is "efficiently deployed" (para. 2, sent. 2), "high-precision" (para. 3, sent. 1), conducted with "astonishing proficiency" (para. 3, sent. 1), offers X-Corps base personnel "no chance of escape" against "overwhelming odds" (para. 3, sent. 6), and "poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps’ personnel and resources" (para. 4, sent. 8), why is it such a risk (para. 2, sent. 3) for the Aliens? The Aliens should conduct retaliation missions all the time if they are truly so devastating to the X-Corps. The text should address why the Aliens might be reluctant/unable to mount such strikes against the X-Corps. The fact that Aliens have to find X-Corps bases first addresses half of the issue, but the other half that needs addressing is once an X-Corps base is found, why aren't the Aliens constantly attacking it? The text maybe could suggest that Alien forces are stretched too thin for a sustained assault or flat out say "we don't know the reason"?

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element with astonishing proficiency; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of evacuation. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel or raze the base trying and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression must be countered as soon as possible. Reactionary activities like UFO interception in such a limited timeframe will possibly prove difficult to accomplish. In case the attacking vessel manages to break through the bases’ perimeter, the teams appointed as base defense staff should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with no chance of escape and the possibility of fighting against overwhelming odds.

Sent. 2 can be confusing. Why are there ground assault forces? Where did they come from- did they march or were they dropped off? The link between the aerial attack and invasion of ground troops should be explained in greater detail. Sent. 3 is sort of obvious because one should fight back sooner rather than later when being attacked. For sent. 4, maybe once the Aliens know a base's location, they can drop straight down from space (or have a steep angle of descent), offering X-Corps little time to scramble their aircraft.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention would be an act of desperation, and is not an option. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our only effective countermeasures are evasion and concealment. To attack the X-Corps, the base must first be located, which requires aerial scouting and reconnaissance by UFO’s. Hindering hostile air activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to break through, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their very lives. This type of Alien activity, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps’ personnel and resources. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling of these attacks.

In sent. 3, the countermeasures actually are defensive measures (base facilities), vigilance (patrols to prevent discovery), and concealment (neural shield), though the neural shield may not have been invented yet. Also, "evasion" implies movement, which bases can't do.

- Well, let's stuff every proximity mine we have in the Access facility and blow up the landing pads!

Edited by Astyanax

• 4 weeks later...

Kafros, please sort this out with Asty! I don't agree with all comments, but this should at least be discussed. So it's back to active. Estimated time for fix: 1 hour, Bug number: 264

Please fix ASAP. I want this back to Proofreading in no time!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has confronted various forms of hostile Alien activities. They may be responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or what seems to be planned missions, such as strikes against human settlements or resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seems to be disassociated to X-Corps' enterprise. Again, once Aliens think that their plans are seriously disrupted, they take the fight to X-Corps itself.

Alien retaliation missions are direct strikes against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their operations and logistics probably, combined with the existing evidence that Alien forces lack the needed individuals to compensate for continuous casualties, are the main cause for the Aliens to perform this efficiently deployed assault against X-Corps. The fact that they might risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their activities has a more profound impact than we currently realize.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element with astonishing proficiency; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of evacuation. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression must be countered as soon as it is detected. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although should not be underestimated,will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

In case the attacking vessel manages to break through the bases’ defenses, the teams appointed as base defense staff should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with no chance of escape and the possibility of fighting against overwhelming odds once the Alien assault force enters the perimeter.

*Yep, "evasion" implies movement, but concerns human crafts. Once they are followed by UFOs (or at least are located near them), they should return to base or attempt to land, because that would show-off the base's location. Instead, they should go on flying (if “located” above the base's aerial perimeter), or better fly away from the base in a random direction

I'm at the campus right now, I'll soon join a class, so spare any mistakes I made above :S, thanks

A few remarks. Quite wordy. hehe. Sorry 'bout that.

Good CT! =b

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has confronted I'm not entirely sure. Normally ths verb is used in passive form. It at least reads awkward, though I like the thought behind using it in this form. so my first reflex was to write "has been confronted with", but I guess you chose the active form deliberatly?Maybe try to enhance the active component here. It might read less awkward then. various forms of hostile Alien activities. They may be responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or what seems to be planned missions, such as strikes against human settlements or resource harvesting. This sentence is pretty complicated. I think a clarification and maybe a little sense/word pruning might be a good step. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seems to be disassociated to X-Corps' enterprise I think we talked about this one. I still feel enterprise is the incorrect word. Not because it's meaning wouldn't allow this use, but because the spontainious association is a different one. Again, Again? No, you haven't said this before. once Aliens think that their plans are seriously disrupted, they take the fight to X-Corps itself.

Alien retaliation missions are direct strikes against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their operations and logistics probably, Two possibilities: 1) you move the comma in front of the probably, 2) you streike out probably. The way it's now doesn't make much sense. combined with the existing evidence that Alien forces lack the needed individuals to compensate for continuous casualties, are are? objection! hear say! you know for sure? I would prefer "seem to be" the main cause for the Aliens to perform this efficiently deployed assault against X-Corps. The fact that they might risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their activities has a more profound impact than we currently realize.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element with astonishing proficiency; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of evacuation. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression must be countered as soon as it is detected. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although should not be underestimated,will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

In case the attacking vessel manages to break through the bases’ defenses, the teams appointed as base defense staff should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with no chance of escape and the possibility of fighting against overwhelming odds once the Alien assault force enters the perimeter.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention would be an act of desperation, and is not an option. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our only effective countermeasures are evasion and concealment. To attack the X-Corps, the the? Which one? Maybe "one of our bases" base must first be located, which requires aerial scouting and reconnaissance by UFO’s. Hindering hostile air activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to break through, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their very lives. This type of Alien activity, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps’ personnel and resources. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling of these attacks.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile alien activities. Those activities could be either trivial responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or even activities of grave importance, such as strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seems to be disassociated to X-Corps' enterprise.

Actually, I saw in a dictionary that “Again” doesn’t always mean “repetition”, but could also be used in a way similar to “Alas”. In addition, in.gr/dictionary returns for “όμως” (which can be used as “but”) these 4 words: ”again - but - however - only”. My bad, no1 will think “again” as “but” :P.

However, once the Aliens think that their plans are seriously disrupted, they take the fight to X-Corps itself. Alien retaliation missions are direct strikes against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their operations and logistics, combined with the existing evidence that Alien forces lack the needed individuals to compensate for continuous casualties, seem to be the main cause for the Aliens to perform this efficiently deployed assault against X-Corps. The fact that they might risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their activities has a more profound impact than we currently realize.

Yeah, silly mistakes due to "writting in haste"... My English skills lack anyway lately, I talk like a country billy :P :D

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element with astonishing proficiency; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of evacuation. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression must be countered as soon as it is detected. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention would be an act of desperation, and is not an option. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our only effective countermeasures are evasion and concealment. To attack the X-Corps, one of our bases must first be located, which requires aerial scouting and reconnaissance by UFO’s. Hindering hostile air activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to break through, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their very lives. This type of Alien activity, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps’ personnel and resources. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling of these attacks.

Very nice! =b

Just a few anotations

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile alien activities. Those activities could be either trivial responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or even activities of grave importance, such as strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seems to be disassociated to X-Corps' enterprise.

However, once the Aliens think that their plans are seriously disrupted, they take the fight to X-Corps itself. Alien retaliation missions are direct strikes against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their operations and logistics, combined with the existing evidence that Alien forces lack the needed individuals to compensate for continuous casualties it's not the evidence that is the reason... has to be reworded. Maybe just leave the evidence part?, seem to be the main cause for the Aliens to perform this efficiently deployed assault against X-Corps. The fact that they might risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence repetition of "evidence" that our interference in their activities has a more profound impact than we currently realize. I'm not sure if it's only me, but I think the "The fact that they" reads a bit strange. What would you think of somthing like this: Taking into account that these attacks pose a high risk for the Alien troops we suspect that our interference in their activities has a more profound impact than we currently realize.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element with astonishing proficiency; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of evacuation. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression must be countered as soon as it is detected. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

In case Should? the attacking vessel manages to break through the bases’ defenses, the teams appointed as base defense staff should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with no chance of escape and the possibility of fighting against overwhelming odds once the Alien assault force enters the perimeter.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention would be an act of desperation, and is not an option. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our only effective countermeasures are evasion and concealment. To attack the X-Corps, first? one of our bases must first be located, which requires aerial scouting and reconnaissance by UFO’s. Hindering hostile air activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to break through, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their very lives. This type of Alien activity, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps’ personnel and resources. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling successful repellation? of these attacks.

If I may....

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace attack, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile Alien activities. These activities could be either trivial simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or even activities of grave greater importance, such as surgical strikes against Human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seems seem to be disassociated to from X-Corps' enterprise.

However, once the Aliens think regard that their plans are as seriously disrupted, they will attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Alien retaliation missions are direct strikes assaults against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their ground operations and logistics, combined with the existing evidence current hypothesis that Alien forces lack the needed necessary individuals resources to compensate for continuous casualties, seem seems to be the main cause for the Aliens to perform this efficiently deployed assault this specific reaction against X-Corps. The fact that they might our enemy would risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their activities operations has a more profound impact than we currently realize previously assumed.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element with astonishing proficiency; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression must be is countered as soon as it is detected initiated. Reactionary Reactional activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

In case Should the attacking vessel manages to break through the bases’ base defenses, the teams appointed as base defense staff appointed defense squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with no chance of escape and the possibility of possibly fighting against overwhelming odds once the Alien assault force enters the perimeter.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention would be an act of desperation, and is not an option while on the short-term it could be a wise strategical decision, would prove to be detrimental to our efforts on the long-term. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our only most effective countermeasures are evasion and concealment. To attack the X-Corps, first one of its bases must first be located, which requires requiring aerial scouting and reconnaissance by UFO’s. Hindering hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing reducing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to break through, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their very lives. This type of Alien activitymission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps’ personnel and resources assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

Edited by Azrael

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ALIEN RETALIATION

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Alien/Research/Retaliation

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile alien activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of even greater importance, such as surgical strikes against Human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' enterprise.

However, once the Aliens regard that their plans as seriously disrupted, they will attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Alien retaliation missions are direct assaults against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their logistics and ground operations, combined with the current hypothesis that Alien forces lack the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties, seems to be the main cause for this specific reaction against X-Corps. The fact that our enemy would risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their operations has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression is countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactional activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed defense squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, possibly fighting against overwhelming odds once the Alien assault force invades the perimeter.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise strategical decision on the short-term, it would prove to be detrimental to our efforts on the long-term. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. To attack the X-Corps, one of its bases must first be located, requiring aerial reconnaissance. Hindering hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to break through, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps’ personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

- Well... I haven't thought of that…yet...

I like “enterprise” on the 1st paragraph, don't you? :(

I just found out the difference between “reactionary” and “reactional”... Long live dictionary.com :D

No new ideas added, just rewording and corrections, most based on Az's wonderful comments :)

• 1 month later...
ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile alien activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of even greater importance, such as surgical strikes against Human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' enterprise still, it's not an enterprise, it's an international organization. you wouldn't call the UNO an enterprise, would you?.

However, once the Aliens regard that their plans as seriously disrupted, they will attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Alien retaliation missions are direct assaults against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their logistics and ground operations, combined with the current hypothesis that Alien forces lack the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties, seems to be the main cause for this specific reaction against X-Corps. The fact that our enemy would risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their operations has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression is countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactional activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed defense squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, possibly fighting against overwhelming odds once the Alien assault force invades the perimeter.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise strategical decision on the short-term, it would prove to be detrimental to our efforts on the long-term. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. To attack the X-Corps, one of its bases must first be located, requiring aerial reconnaissance. Hindering hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to break through repetition. Maybe "penetrate the security zone" or something in these lines?, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps’ personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

- Well... I haven't thought of that…yet...

comments by davo:

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise strategical decision on the short-term, it would prove to be detrimental to our efforts on the long-term. perhaps detrimental to our efforts in the long-term or on our long-term outlook? doesnt quite seem right

• 2 months later...

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile alien activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of even greater importance, such as surgical strikes against Human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression is countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, it would prove to be detrimental to our efforts on our long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. To attack the X-Corps, one of its bases must first be located, requiring aerial reconnaissance. Hindering hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

- Well... I haven't thought of that yet...

Edited by kafros

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile alien activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of even greater importance, such as surgical strikes against Human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard that their plans as seriously disrupted, they will? don't know. future tense sounds a bit strange. I know what you want to express by this, but I'm not sure if some people might not think something like "goddammit, they will? They are! I already lost three bases to those bastards..." attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Alien retaliation missions are direct assaults against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their logistics and ground operations, combined with the current hypothesis that Alien forces lack the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties, seems to be the main cause for this specific reaction against X-Corps maybe rephrase this to two sentences, because those two reasons are not combinable from my point of view. So what I would propose is the following: "Long term success...operations seems to trigger this specific reaction against X-Corps. We suspect that the reason for this can be explained with our hypothesis... / This reactions can easily support our hypothesis..." or something like this. The fact that our enemy would risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their operations has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression is countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, it would prove to be detrimental to our efforts on our long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. To attack the X-Corps, one of its bases must first be located, requiring aerial reconnaissance. Hindering hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Davo is still locked out of the system, I'm again posting his work for him.

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile alien activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of even greater importance, such as surgical strikes against Human or human? settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard that their plans as being?seriously disrupted, they will? don't know. future tense sounds a bit strange. I know what you want to express by this, but I'm not sure if some people might not think something like "goddammit, they will? They are! I already lost three bases to those bastards..."hmmm... dont know, cant say I see the problem, maybe some help? Come on, give us a hint Mad ;) attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Alien retaliation missions are direct assaults against X-Corps facilities. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of their logistics and ground operations, combined with the current hypothesis that Alien forces lack the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties, seems to be the main cause for this specific reaction against X-Corps. I'll give it a go...Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to trigger this aggresive retaliation/reaction against X-Corps. This reaction backs our current hypothesis that the Alien forces lack the necessary resources to compensate for continuos casualties. How about that or something similar? Is that what you are after/mean? The fact that our enemy would risk such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their operations has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element sounds.... not odd.... maybe original is the word I'm looking for ;) should it be ...in maintaining the element of surprise? I suppose I have never heard it phrased that way, hahaha ; the lack of time for a proper preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place repetitive use of propers? Ive got nothing to suggest to replace... actually I have to go to work now so I cant take the time to think.... I'll finish later....Hmmmm back from work and still nothing, anyone?. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression is be? countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed defense squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, possibly fighting against overwhelming odds once the Alien assault force invades the perimeter. Again, perhaps repetetive fighting, would this sound better?...Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed defense squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging vast and possibly overwhelming enemy troops once the Alien assault force has invaded the perimeter. ? hmmm.. dunno. Suggestions? Is it originally fine and I'm messing? *EDIT* Or possibly even just remove the second fighting so....quarter fighting, possibly against overwhelming...?

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, it? would prove to be detrimental to our efforts on our long-term outlook. Doesn't seem to quite read right, perhaps ...to our efforts in our long-term... or ...in a long-term outlook... Hmmm... dunno, maybe just the repetiveness of our so close together? Anyone else? Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. To attack the X-Corps, one of its hmm, I find it strange that we refer to the xcorps as we and our, then to it as 'it'... is this right? I dont mind, just questioning?bases must first be located, requiring aerial reconnaissance. Hindering hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives and the very security of the base itself?. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. What about "This type of mission, although rare, perhaps poses the single....? Fair enough it quite possibly does pose the greatest threat, but should we be telling a newtime gamer that this is the biggest thing to watch out for? Why not tell them that the best thing to take out an alien {battleship} is an {avenger} with plasma cannons over water as you get more points? dunno, maybe i am a wee bit pedantic ;) but in keeping inline with the rules for writing CT, should we be saying this IS the biggest threat?. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

• 1 month later...
ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile alien activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of even greater importance, such as surgical strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is to attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Alien retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities and personel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggresive retaliation. This reaction backs our current hypothesis that the alien forces lack the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our enemy is willing to perform such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their operations has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

(kafros' comment: "willing to perform", so there won't be any problems with risking. I don't think there was any, but I recall that people complained about it. Hey, even in routine examinations by highly experienced doctors, isn't there a risk that everything may end up wrong? So, it's natural to have risks in military/assault operations, especially on "alien ground" (we're aliens to the star-spawn :P). Main body was based on davo's comment but was changed a bit)

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element, the lack of time for a decent preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed defense squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging against overwhelming odds once the Alien assault squad invades the perimeter.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove to be detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. To attack the X-Corps, one of ourbases must first be located, requiring aerial reconnaissance. Hindering hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

(kafros' comment:

!!1) Well, the point is that you can refer to X-Corps either as an organization (it) or as a collective of people (our). So, "our bases" or "X-Corps (its) bases" both work in my opinion :)

!!2) Notice this: "..greatest threat to X-Corps PERSONNEL AND ASSETS". So, we are focusing on one very specific part of the gameplay ;), this does work. We don't say that it's the biggest threat you'll ever confront.

!3) In addition, what's the use of fighting for the base's security if you're gonna die? :P

4) Pedantic, nice word! :D I use it as a compiler flag in C :P )

Edited by kafros

• 2 weeks later...
ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile alien activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of even greater importance, such as surgical strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these kinds of Alien activity seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is to attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Alien retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities and personel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggresive retaliation. This reaction backs our current hypothesis that the alien forces lack the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our enemy is willing to perform such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their operations has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

Retaliation missions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element, the lack of time for a decent preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited timeframe.

Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed defense squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging against overwhelming odds once the Alien assault squad invades the perimeter.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove to be detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. To attack the X-Corps, one of our or: the target base? bases must first be located, requiring aerial reconnaissance. Hindering hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

very nice! :)

• 4 weeks later...
ALIEN RETALIATION

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove to be detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

Well, if it is a "target base", then I guess they already know about it and its location xD. I hope you like the re-wording :)

Got something else in mind? I didn't find anything that I wanted to change :/

• 2 months later...

I'm just about to start writting my "general security" ct and intend to include in-depth explanation about the alien invasion of the x-corps' bases :D But i'm still puzzled how do the aliens enter the bases via the landing bays.. if they blast the doors, how to the crafts get evacuted?

I assume that anti-air base defenses have a minimal angle of fire, so that they can't fire at anything that's below 10 or 20m maybe.. so is the UFO attacked while approaching the base, or when attempting to land? If so, then the defenses fail when the UFO succeeds in getting beneath the anti-air defenses fire angle. But what keeps the UFO from approaching in low alttiude then? Hehe, i always wondered what caused them to succeed and the defenses to fail.. do the turrets run out of ammo.. overheat.. i never figured it out :(

Hehe, sorry if that has already been discussed, but i still haven't been able to read all the avaible ct's :Coffee:

Edited by Ruivo

Well... Presumably they evacuate the crafts and non-essential personnels before the aliens start blasting... Where they go, I have no idea... Also, keep in mind that your general security CT should be available at the start of the game. It can contain references on procedures of what to do in the event of alien retaliation, but make sure you don't give details like the alien's scouting procedures and such.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a very good CT. Can't find anything to change right now, so I would propose this for "completed" what was I thinking? Of course it should say "ready for proofreading" :). Any objections?

ALIEN RETALIATION

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove to be detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

Edited by Mad

Unfortunately, yes. :(

Some changes to minimize overuse of particular words. Usual notation of strikethroughs for deletions, green text for additions, purple for rewordings and orange for punctuation/spelling changes. It looks like a mess, so read carefully.

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile alien activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of even greater importance, such as surgical strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these types of activity seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is to attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Alien Retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities and personnel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggressive behavior. This reaction backs our current hypothesis that the alien forces enemy lacks the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our enemy foe is willing to perform such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their operations has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

Missions such as retaliation are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element: the lack of time for a decent preparation against the Alien assault prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited time-frame. Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed defense squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging against overwhelming odds once the perimeter is invaided.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove to be detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering overhead hostile aerial activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever Alien enemy vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking vessel craft from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

Hope some of this is good. :)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

Very nice, personally, I like most of your changes :)

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of even greater importance, such as surgical strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these types of activity activities? seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is to attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities and personnel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggressive behavior. This reaction backs our current hypothesis that the enemy lacks the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our foe opposer? opponent? antagonist? is willing to perform such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their their or it? Just asking because you used foe in singular... operations has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

Missions such as retaliation I liked Retaliation missions better. Do you think it is repeated too much? are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element: the lack of time for a decent preparation against these? assaults? prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited time-frame. Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging against overwhelming odds once the perimeter is invaided.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove to be detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering overhead do you mean overhead=aerial or overhead=in the airspace over the base? May not be the best word for it, or do I get something which very clear to native speakers wrong? hostile activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever enemy vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking craft from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

1st Paragraph: If you would rather have "activities" (which makes more sense really), then I suggest removing "types of". Makes it read better. :)

2nd Paragraph: "opponents" is great. That's the word I was looking for! The sentence would look something like this when reworded:

The fact that our opponents are willing to perform such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference in their operations has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

3rd Paragraph: Correct, "Retaliation missions" start out a sentence in paragraph 2 as well, so I was trying to cut down on the use a little bit. Any suggestions for rewording either sentence? Otherwise, we could leave it alone. And "these assaults" are good.

4th Paragraph: Yeah, I was trying to cut down on "aerial" a bit but didn't come up with a proper replacement. ^_^

- Zombie

1st Paragraph: If you would rather have "activities" (which makes more sense really), then I suggest removing "types of". Makes it read better. :)

Yes, that's what I meant. I wanted to replace the whole phrase as well. Sorry, I wasn't clear on this.

3rd Paragraph: Correct, "Retaliation missions" start out a sentence in paragraph 2 as well, so I was trying to cut down on the use a little bit. Any suggestions for rewording either sentence? Otherwise, we could leave it alone. And "these assaults" are good.

So what's about "Incursions"?

4th Paragraph: Yeah, I was trying to cut down on "aerial" a bit but didn't come up with a proper replacement. ^_^

what's about "airborne"?

lemme seee....

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of even why even? think it works better without greater importance, such as surgical strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these activities seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is to attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities and personnel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggressive behavior. This reaction backs our current hypothesis that the enemy lacks the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our opponents are willing to perform such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

These incursions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element: the lack of time for a decent preparation against these assaults prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited time-frame. Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging against overwhelming odds once the perimeter is invaded.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove to be detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering airborne hostile activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever enemy vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking craft from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

Edited by Mad

Much better, Mad! Me likes. :D

Very, very late edit: are we nearing completion on this one yet? I think we are getting really close. :)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

ok, since there is no one with comments, I declare this completed and off to proofreading.

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of greater importance, such as surgical strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these activities seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is to attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities and personnel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggressive behavior. This reaction backs our current hypothesis that the enemy lacks the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our opponents are willing to perform such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

These incursions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element: the lack of time for a decent preparation against these assaults prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited time-frame. Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging against overwhelming odds once the perimeter is invaded.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove to be detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering airborne hostile activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever enemy vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking craft from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission, although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

• 2 weeks later...
ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of greater importance, such as surgical strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these activities seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is an to attempt to take the fight to X-Corps itself. Retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities and personnel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggressive behavior. This reaction backs our current hypothesis that the enemy lacks the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our opponents are willing to perform such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

felt there were one too many to's

These incursions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element: the lack of time for a decent preparation against these assaults prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited time-frame. Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging against overwhelming odds once the perimeter is invaded breached.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove to be detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering airborne hostile activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever enemy vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking craft from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission , although rare, poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

not sure if stating scarcity of a mission type is a good idea considering it is a variable that could be contradicted during gameplay. This is just a loose thought though

Edited by RustedSoul

• 1 month later...
ALIEN RETALIATION

However, once X-Corps have caused serious disturbance to the Alien's plans, the only natural consequence is an attempt to take the fight to the organization itself. Retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities, and personnel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggressive behavior. This reaction backs our current hypothesis that the enemy lacks the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our opponents are willing to perform such an attack on the organization is hard evidence that our interference has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

These incursions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element: the lack of time for a decent preparation against these assaults prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited period. Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging overwhelming odds once the perimeter is breached.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering airborne hostile activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever enemy vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking craft from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

It's tough to find something that I don't like, it reads fine to me :S. Any ideas? Edited by kafros

• 3 months later...

I don't agree with your change in the second paragraph kafros, I think the old version had a better flow.

And there are an awful lot of wrong " 's " in this text. Or did I remove too many?

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of greater importance, such as strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these activities seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is an attempt to take the fight to the organization itself. Retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities, and personnel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggressive behavior. This reaction Maybe just "It" to remove the double "this"? backs our current hypothesis that the enemy lacks the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our opponents are willing to perform such an attack on the organization X-Corps (organization is a hard-to-miss word, I guess having it two times in the same paragraph is a bit too often) is hard evidence that our interference has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

These Which ones? I guess a simple "The" might do better here, since it is the beginning of a new ? incursions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element: the maybe just "a" to remove the tripple "the"? lack of time for a decent preparation against these assaults prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited period. Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging overwhelming odds once the perimeter is breached.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering airborne hostile activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever enemy vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking craft from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the base's personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

ALIEN RETALIATION

Since the beginning of the Alien menace, humanity has sustained various forms of hostile activities. These could be either simple responses to immediate threats, such as dogfights, or of greater importance, such as strikes against human settlements and resource harvesting. Nevertheless, these activities seem to be disassociated from X-Corps' direct intervention.

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is an attempt to take the fight to the organization itself. Retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities, and personnel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggressive behavior. This reaction Maybe just "It" to remove the double "this"?, which further backs supports our current hypothesis that the enemy lacks the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our opponents are willing to perform such an attack on X-Corps is hard evidence that our interference has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

The incursions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element. : the maybe just "a" to remove the tripple "the"? lack of time for a decent preparation against these assaults prohibits any sort of proper evacuation procedures to take place. A decent preparation or even evacuation against these assaults is infeasible due to a limited timeframe. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited period. Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging overwhelming odds once the perimeter is breached.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering airborne hostile activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever enemy vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking craft from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the bases' personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

I think you removed too many ', the first and third one are totally vital, the second one was moved to the end of the word.

I think the third paragraph needs more work. Maybe rephrase its start completely. The aliens get fed up, load a vessel with assaulting troops, and head straight for the base. This leaves a limited amount of time for X-Corps to prepare against the attackers. A complete evacuation is infeasible and thus only base personnel except from soldiers are evacuated to a remote location (where btw? Military base? secret underground hangar somewhere close?)

I think you removed too many ', the first and third one are totally vital, the second one was moved to the end of the word.

I think the third paragraph needs more work. Maybe rephrase its start completely. The aliens get fed up, load a vessel with assaulting troops, and head straight for the base. This leaves a limited amount of time for X-Corps to prepare against the attackers. A complete evacuation is infeasible and thus only base personnel except from soldiers are evacuated to a remote location (where btw? Military base? secret underground hangar somewhere close?)

Ok, I was never good at this, could you please explain the grammar behind this? AFAIK, " 's " is used in the sense of it is while an attached "s" is used as the genitive form (whose). If this is the case these " 's " all have to be converted to "s". Could maybe a native speaker clarify this? Zombie? Dteviot? Edit: Nvm, I figured it out. My bad.

Appart from that, I would like to refrain from major restructurization of this CT, since it is in proofreading already. So I suggest we do not change the third paragraph (apart from the good change you proposed in the text itself).

Edited by Mad

I can't describe it with formal expressions, so I'll be more practical:

This bag belongs to John -> This is John's bag , 's at the end of the word shows that something "belongs" to the noun we've suffixed the 's

The dogs' fur is black -> Now, if the noun ends with s itself, we remove the s from 's and leave the apostrophe.

Of course, when we want to express plural, we don't use the apostrophe

I'm sorry for sounding so silly and explaining in-depth something trivial, no offense, tried to help *shy*

edit:

So what else should we improve on the text, any ideas??

Edited by kafros

Thanks for defending your position. It brought me to dust my old English-language grammar book, and it seems I ran into the pronoun trap... ^_^

Ok, so, no, apart from my misguided 's and one small remark I don't think the text needs any more. So this is how it looks now:

ALIEN RETALIATION

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is an attempt to take the fight to the organization itself. Retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities, and personnel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggressive behavior, which further supports Maybe "...behavior;further supporting our current..." our current hypothesis that the enemy lacks the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our opponents are willing to perform such an attack on X-Corps is hard evidence that our interference has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

The incursions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element. A decent preparation or even evacuation against these assaults is infeasible due to a limited timeframe. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited period. Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging overwhelming odds once the perimeter is breached.

Scaling back our activities to avoid attracting attention, while being a wise medium-term strategical decision, would prove detrimental to our efforts in the long-term outlook. Nevertheless, it is prudent to work with stealth. Our most effective countermeasure is concealment. Once the existence of an X-Corps base is suspected, the Aliens perform aerial reconnaissance in order to pinpoint it. Hindering airborne hostile activity, in addition to eschewing interception launches and communication whenever enemy vessels are near, should thus minimize the chances of detection. Once a Retaliation mission is launched, every effort must be made to prevent the attacking craft from reaching the base. If the Aliens manage to penetrate the security perimeter, it will come down to the bases' personnel to fight for their lives. This type of mission poses the single greatest threat to X-Corps personnel and assets. In extreme cases, the project's very survival may hinge upon successfully repelling these attacks.

Just posting to check its final form. I'll try to carefully read it from top to bottom to nitpick, but I think it's good already

ALIEN RETALIATION

However, once the Aliens regard their plans as seriously disrupted, the only natural consequence is an attempt to take the fight to the organization itself. Retaliation missions are direct assaults against the foundation's bases, facilities, and personnel. Long-term success in UFO interception and disruption of enemy logistics and ground operations seems to be the only factor triggering this very aggressive behavior, further supporting our current hypothesis that the enemy lacks the necessary resources to compensate for continuous casualties. The fact that our opponents are willing to perform such an attack on X-Corps is hard evidence that our interference has a more profound impact than we previously assumed.

The incursions are performed with high precision, taking special care in maintaining the surprise element. A decent preparation or even evacuation against these assaults is infeasible due to a limited timeframe. The Aliens' objective is to exterminate all personnel and raze the base. Ground assault forces sent to directly attack an X-Corps base are likely to be large and consisting of elite soldiers, with no possibility of retreating or surrendering. Thus, it is vital that such an aggression be countered as soon as it is initiated. Reactionary activities like UFO interception, although not to be underestimated, will possibly prove difficult to accomplish in such a limited period. Should the attacking vessel manage to break through the base defenses, appointed squads should expect fierce and brutal close quarter fighting, with the possibility of engaging overwhelming odds once the perimeter is breached.

Edited by kafros