XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - XCAP Chassis

Mad

MTC TANK BASIS
X-Net://Pegasus.net/XCAPS/MTC
In the early years of the Gulf Reformation Wars of the late Twentieth Century, the first Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) saw military use. These early models had few, if any weapons and completely lacked autonomy software, instead being directly controlled by a “pilot” in a remote controlling center. The viciousness of the Gulf Reformation War combined with advancements in composites and political fallout from human losses pushed the military ROV into the forefront of both development and deployment.

The peak of current ROV technology is the Modular Tank Chassis (MTC), built of carbon-reinforced, high-impact plastic for lightness, giving it an unmatched agility at an impressive durability. Twin composite treads are laced with carbon-filament for strength, and, combined with the MTC's liquid-magnetic suspension, allow high travel speeds in virtually any terrain.
Powered by hydrogen fuel cells of the latest generation it can reach top in field speeds up to 45 km/h for about 24 hours. To prevent human losses in case a MTC suffers severe damage, the hydrogen is stored in a nanotube containment block preventing explosions.
Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In Addition vital systems are installed redundant allowing safe operation even after armor piercing hits.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology, a soldier in even the heaviest firefight could easily control the semi-autonomous MTC without interfering in the operators other duties. Since it is X-Corps policy to ensure its Agents the full concentration on the battle, the MTCs are maneuvered via a highly sophisticated control console from out the dropping ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. As simplification for the controller simple command macros were implemented to guarantee the safe and effective controlling of several MTCs at one time. These orders can be sent virtually in the blink of an eye, and are interpreted and executed in real time, involving the current situation. To allow this semi autonomous behavior X-Corps Technicians developed a special algorithm which includes rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms.

The single mounting point of a MTC can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment. Edited by Azrael

• 2 weeks later...
I like the idea of having separate entries, topic split =b
Just a comment for now, this is the XCAP chassis, not MCT, if you want you can look a way to integrate them, but the name is XCAP. It would also be nice to add the meaning of XCAP (X-Corps Assault Platform). Edited by Azrael

[quote name='Azrael' date='Sep 16 2005, 02:40 AM']I like the idea of having separate entries, topic split =b[/quote]
Thx! :)
[quote name='Azrael' date='Sep 16 2005, 02:40 AM']Just a comment for now, this is the XCAP chassis, not MCT, if you want you can look a way to integrate them, but the name is XCAP. It would also be nice to add the meaning of XCAP (X-Corps Assault Platform).[/quote]
XCAP Sir? Done right away! :D

[quote]XCAP CHASSIS
X-Net://Pegasus.net/XCAPS/CHASSIS
In the early years of the Gulf Reformation Wars of the late Twentieth Century, the first Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) saw military use. These early models had few, if any weapons and completely lacked autonomy software, instead being directly controlled by a “pilot” in a remote controlling center. The viciousness of the Gulf Reformation War combined with advancements in composites and political fallout from human losses pushed the military ROV into the forefront of both development and deployment.

The peak of current ROV technology is the Modular Tank Chassis (MTC), built of carbon-reinforced, high-impact plastic for lightness, giving it an unmatched agility at an impressive durability. Twin composite treads are laced with carbon-filament for strength, and, combined with the MTC's liquid-magnetic suspension, allow high travel speeds in virtually any terrain.
Powered by hydrogen fuel cells of the latest generation it can reach top in field speeds up to 45 km/h for about 24 hours. To prevent human losses in case a MTC suffers severe damage, the hydrogen is stored in a nanotube containment block preventing explosions.
Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In Addition vital systems are installed redundant allowing safe operation even after armor piercing hits.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology, a soldier in even the heaviest firefight could easily control the semi-autonomous MTC without interfering in the operators other duties. Since it is X-Corps policy to ensure its Agents the full concentration on the battle, the MTCs are maneuvered via a highly sophisticated control console from out the dropping ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. As simplification for the controller simple command macros were implemented to guarantee the safe and effective controlling of several MTCs at one time. These orders can be sent virtually in the blink of an eye, and are interpreted and executed in real time, involving the current situation. To allow this semi autonomous behavior X-Corps Technicians developed a special algorithm which includes rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms. Since these adjustments are major modifications of the original MTC design X-Corps command decided to buy the blueprints from the original manufacturer and build this massively enhanced version on their own. The internal name for this weapon system is XCAP – the X-Corps Assault Platform.

The single mounting point of our XCAP can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment, allowing a battle specific armament for outstanding battlefield performance.[/quote]
Do we need a fluff for this?

Maybe:"God! How I would like my roadster to be just a little like this baby!"

[quote name='Azrael' date='Sep 16 2005, 01:22 PM']What's a roadster?
[right][post="135006"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
um, sth like a BMW Z3, or a Porsche Boxter. Maybe roadster is not appropriate. I also thought about "my four wheel" but it doesn't sound that "Bond, James Bond"-cool... :P

I've got one for one of the XCAPs, could fit anyone but it's originally thought for a hovertank (it's not mine, borrowed):

"I will not sit on a Hovertank making VRRROOOOOOM BANG BANG noises."
- Rule 87, X-Corps Training Manual

or "I may not hang a 'Just Married' sign and a bunch of tin cans from the back of the hovertank."
Rule whatever, training manual. Edited by Azrael

The text looks pretty good overall, and it really held my interest, but there are a few things that caught my eye...

[quote]XCAP CHASSIS
In the early years of the Gulf Reformation Wars of the late Twentieth Century, the first Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) saw military use. These early models had few, if any, weapons and completely lacked autonomy software, instead being directly controlled by a “pilot” in a remote controlling center. The viciousness of the Gulf Reformation War combined with advancements in composites and political fallout from human losses pushed the military ROV into the forefront of both development and deployment.

The peak of current ROV technology is the Modular Tank Chassis (MTC), built of carbon-reinforced, high-impact plastic for lightness, giving it an unmatched agility at an impressive durability. Twin composite treads are laced with carbon-filament for strength, and, combined with the MTC's liquid-magnetic suspension, allow high travel speeds on virtually any terrain.

Powered by hydrogen fuel cells of the latest generation it can reach top in field speeds up to 45 km/h for about 24 hours. To prevent human losses in case a MTC suffers severe damage, the hydrogen is stored in a nanotube containment block preventing explosions.[/quote]
"...it can reach top speed for 24 hours" sounds strange- does that mean that it's reaching for 24 hours straight? May I suggest: "Powered by next-generation hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of the pilot, the fuel cells are stored within a hardened, explosion-proof nanotube containment block."

[quote]Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In addition, vital systems are installed redundant allowing safe operation even after armor piercing hits.[/quote]
"installed redundant" and "armor piercing hits" sound a bit odd to me. May I suggest: "In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows the MTC to continue functioning at ([color="blue"]near-peak capacities[/color] or [color="blue"]full capacity[/color]) after ([color="blue"]sustaining critical damage[/color] or [color="blue"]its armor has been compromised[/color])"?

[quote]Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology, a soldier in even the heaviest firefight could easily control the semi-autonomous MTC without interfering in the operators other duties. Since it is X-Corps policy to ensure its Agents the full concentration on the battle, the MTCs are maneuvered via a highly sophisticated control console from out the dropping ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. As simplification for the controller simple command macros were implemented to guarantee the safe and effective controlling of several MTCs at one time. These orders can be sent virtually in the blink of an eye, and are interpreted and executed in real time, involving the current situation. To allow this semi autonomous behavior X-Corps Technicians developed a special algorithm which includes rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms. Since these adjustments are major modifications of the original MTC design X-Corps command decided to buy the blueprints from the original manufacturer and build this massively enhanced version on their own. The internal name for this weapon system is XCAP – the X-Corps Assault Platform.[/quote]
The second part of the first sentence feels a bit awkward to me since it goes on so long, and the second sentence is phrased in a way that I'm having some trouble understanding ("from out the dropping ship"?). I had some ideas on how to streamline other parts of the paragraph, so maybe: "Although the MTC's autonomy software enables it to function without constant input from its operator, fully automomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology. The MTC operator maneuver the crafts via a highly sophisticated control console from within the ([color="blue"]landing[/color] or [color="blue"]drop[/color]) ship, and basic command macros were implemented enable a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent and received virtually instantaneously, and are interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that includes rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms and advanced terrain filters as part of the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original MTC design, X-Corps Command purchased manufacturing rights so specialized MTCs can be quickly produced to meet needs as they arise. The internal name for this weapon system is the XCAP - the X-Corps Assault Platform."

[quote]The single mounting point of our XCAP can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment, allowing a battle specific armament for outstanding battlefield performance.[/quote]
"mounting point"- is this the right term? Maybe "hardpoint" or "weapons mount"?

Perhaps in the last part of the sentence: "...enabling battle specific armament to be outfitted for maximum battlefield performance"?

That's all for my comments. I really like the ideas in this text; I can practically imagine this actually happening! Great job, you guys. Now, I have to go back to my schoolwork. :P

[i]Edit- Congrats on your promotion, Mad![/i] ^_^ Edited by Astyanax

[quote name='Astyanax' date='Sep 17 2005, 12:07 AM']The text looks pretty good overall, and it really held my interest[...][/quote]
Thx! (for the flowers, and for reading it! :) )

[quote name='Astyanax' date='Sep 17 2005, 12:07 AM']"mounting point"- is this the right term? Maybe "hardpoint" or "weapons mount"?[/quote]
Hardpoint was used in an earlier version, but since I don't know this word, and cannot find it anywhere, I checked a german -> english dictionary, and there "mounting point" was used for "a possibility to fix sth." so I think it is appropriate.
[quote name='Astyanax' date='Sep 17 2005, 12:07 AM']Perhaps in the last part of the sentence: "...enabling battle specific armament to be outfitted for maximum battlefield performance"?[/quote]
But in this case the meaning changes, doesn't it?

Completely rephrased the second and third paragraph, incremementing Astys ideas.

[quote]XCAP CHASSIS

[b]Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground personell, the fuel cells are stored within a hardened, explosion-proof nanotube containment block.[/b]
Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. [b]In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows the MTC safely continued function at near-peak capacities after sustaining critical damage.[/b]

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology [b]the MTC's autonomy software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agents full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots, using a highly sophisticated control console from within the  drop ship.[/b] Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. [b]Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original MTC design, X-Corps Command purchased manufacturing rights so specialized MTCs can be quickly produced to meet needs as they arise. The internal name for this weapon system is XCAP - the X-Corps Assault Platform."
[/b]
The single mounting point of our XCAP can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment, allowing a battle specific armament for outstanding battlefield performance.[/quote] Edited by Mad

[quote name='Mad' date='Sep 16 2005, 03:42 PM']Thx! (for the flowers, and for reading it! :)[/quote]My pleasure, Mad, and welcome to the CTD club. B)

[quote]Hardpoint was used in an earlier version, but since I don't know this word, and cannot find it anywhere, I checked a german -> english dictionary, and there "mounting point" was used for "a possibility to fix sth." so I think it is appropriate.[/quote]"Hard point" is a semi-common American military term, roughly equivalent to "weapon slot" or "weapons mount", but "mounting point" also works. :)

[quote][quote name='Astyanax' date='Sep 17 2005, 12:07 AM']Perhaps in the last part of the sentence: "...enabling battle specific armament to be outfitted for maximum battlefield performance"?[/quote]
But in this case the meaning changes, doesn't it? [/quote]True, you caught me. :Blush: But we should make sure the reader doesn't think MTCs can exchange weapons (though it would be a neat V1+ feature).

[quote]XCAP CHASSIS

Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground [color="blue"]personnel[/color], the fuel cells are stored within a hardened, explosion-proof nanotube containment block.
Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows the MTC [color="blue"]safely continued function at near-peak capacities after sustaining critical damage.[/color]

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology the MTC's autonomy software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the [color="blue"]agent's[/color] full concentration [color="blue"]on the battlefield situation[/color], the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original MTC design, X-Corps Command purchased manufacturing rights so specialized MTCs can be quickly produced to meet needs as they arise. The internal name for this weapon system is [color="blue"]XCAP:[/color] the X-Corps Assault Platform."

The single mounting point of our XCAP can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment, allowing a battle specific armament for outstanding battlefield performance.[/quote]
Disclaimer: none of the tweak or comments have anything to do with the ideas (they are great, by the way). Instead, there are a few spelling and grammar comments I wanted to make.

Just a few minor tweaks: corrected the spelling of "personnel", added an apostrophe in "agent's", and changed a hyphen to a colon in "XCAP: the X-Corps Assault Platform" at the end of paragraph 4.

Regarding "on the battlefield situation", this should be either "on the battlefield" or "in battlefield situations" to be grammatically correct.

I had a comment on this part: "redundancy in vital systems allows the MTC safely continued function at near-peak capacities after sustaining critical damage."
Grammar-wise, this isn't quite right, but I don't think I can explain it easily (I'm not too well-versed with the names of the parts of speech, unfortunately). Instead, I'll offer some examples which are correct:
"redundancy in vital systems allows the MTC to safely continue functioning..."
"redundancy in vital systems allows the MTC to continue functioning..."
"redundancy in vital systems allows safe, continued function of the MTC..."
"redundancy in vital systems allows continued function of the MTC..."

As a late suggestion, adding "even" before "after" might make ithe sentence sound better? (e.g. "...allows the MTC to continue functioning at near-peak capacities even after sustaining critical damage.")

Idea-wise, I love the ideas! Except for the spelling and grammar notes (which can be corrected in the proofreading forum anyway), I'd say the text it pretty much complete. =b Edited by Astyanax

[quote name='Astyanax' date='Sep 19 2005, 07:46 AM']My pleasure, Mad, and welcome to the CTD club. B)[/quote]Thx again :)

[quote]"Hard point" is a semi-common American military term, roughly equivalent to "weapon slot" or "weapons mount", but "mounting point" also works. :)[/quote]

Ahh! (where did you get this knowledge? It's astonishing! Wow! )

[quote]But we should make sure the reader doesn't think MTCs can exchange weapons[/quote]
fixed, though might be not too well :/

[quote]Regarding "on the battlefield situation", this should be either "on the battlefield" or "in battlefield situations" to be grammatically correct.[/quote]

Are you sure with that? Because I want the soldier to concentrate "on the situation" which situation? The "battlefield situation"

[quote]I had a comment on this part: "redundancy[...]"[/quote]
fixed

[quote]Idea-wise, I love the ideas!  Except for the spelling and grammar notes (which can be corrected in the proofreading forum anyway), I'd say the text it pretty much complete. =b[/quote]

Thanks a lot! :)

Now for the fun part :P

[quote]XCAP CHASSIS

Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground personnel, the fuel cells are stored within a hardened, explosion-proof nanotube containment block.
Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. [b]In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows safe, continued function at near-peak capacities even after sustaining critical damage.[/b]

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology the MTC's autonomy software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agent's full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original MTC design, X-Corps Command purchased manufacturing rights so specialized MTCs can be quickly produced to meet needs as they arise. The internal name for this weapon system is XCAP: the X-Corps Assault Platform."

The single hardpoint of our XCAP can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment, allowing a battle specific armament for outstanding battlefield performance, [b]though unfortunately a fast re-equipment is not possible due to the complex modifications of the XCAPs mechatronics the different weapon types demand.[/b][/quote] Edited by Mad

[quote name='Moriarty' date='Sep 20 2005, 09:31 AM']looks nice. now who's going to write a text for the hover/anti-grav chassis?
[right][post="135454"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
We're discussing on this right now. I started to something like a first draw, but if anyone else has good ideas, either keep me posted with them, or tell me you want to to the CT. But nevertheless, I think those who write the Hovertank CTs have to work closely together if they are not written by one person.

[quote name='Mad' date='Sep 20 2005, 09:26 AM']I think those who write the Hovertank CTs have to work closely together if they are not written by one person.[/quote]

I thought it would be split into "Hovertank Chassis" and "Plasma Turret" "GAIA Turret"? so one person writes the Chassis text, because the rest is independent...

[quote name='Moriarty' date='Sep 20 2005, 11:45 AM'][quote name='Mad' date='Sep 20 2005, 09:26 AM']I think those who write the Hovertank CTs have to work closely together if they are not written by one person.[/quote]
I thought it would be split into "Hovertank Chassis" and "Plasma Turret" "GAIA Turret"? so one person writes the Chassis text, because the rest is independent...
[right][post="135458"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
yea, you're right, buuut... I just think these texts should be... um... "wie aus einem Guss " :P meaning, they should bevery closely related, since we can suspect, it is one scientific team who develops everything

okay, I noticed this in the XCAP-AG text... what is this nanotube containment block? reading it now, it sounds like something that is just an engine housing, to prevent explosions when the fuel cells malfunction, is that right?

I thought it was originally meant in a different way, which made more sense to me: Since I've never heard of [i]fuel cells[/i] exploding, the dangerous aspect of it is actually the [i]fuel [/i](that is, the hydrogen). I've only ever heard of nanotubes for safer storage of hydrogen (the hydrogen being adsorbed by the nanostructure, and not being able to escape from it as quickly, no huge explosions are possible. it's just like you can make the fuel tanks for cars safer by "filling" them with a steel mesh, preventing flames from spreading through it by draining the heat away. it actually works.).

so the paragraph in question should be more like:
[quote]Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground personnel, the hydrogen is stored within a hardened, explosion-proof nanotube containment block.[/quote]

on the other hand, we might just change the fuel cell system to use not hydrogen itself, which is kind of awkward in storage and handling, but an energy-rich carbohydrate (or derived alcohol). there are fuel cells around that do this, in a two-step catalyzed reaction the compund is first broken up and then oxidized. it is much easier (and probably more efficient, too) to store alcohol than to store hydrogen, with all the cooling and pressure involved. especially in small vehicles.

I don't know about the new suggestion; I'm not sure about this, but if hydrogen inside a nanotube structure were to suffer an explosive impact, wouldn't it explode, too?

[quote name='Moriarty' date='Sep 26 2005, 10:24 PM']on the other hand, we might just change the fuel cell system to use not hydrogen itself, which is kind of awkward in storage and handling, but an energy-rich carbohydrate (or derived alcohol). there are fuel cells around that do this, in a two-step catalyzed reaction the compund is first broken up and then oxidized. it is much easier (and probably more efficient, too) to store alcohol than to store hydrogen, with all the cooling and pressure involved. especially in small vehicles.[/quote]If I'm not mistaken, the hydrogen fuel cell concept was introduced in some of the missile texts- and it's supposed to be the "next-gen" technology. Perhaps the alcohol/carbohydrate fuel source would make things too complicated? Edited by Astyanax

[quote name='Astyanax' date='Sep 27 2005, 07:11 AM']I don't know about the new suggestion; I'm not sure about this, but if hydrogen inside a nanotube structure were to suffer an explosive impact, wouldn't it explode, too?[/quote]

not necessarily. the nanotube concept is a real-world application being heavily researched, because it would allow efficient room-temperature (well, at least something like -50°C) storage of hydrogen. as a side effect, the nanotubes prevent the hydrogen from rapidly evaporating, so probably a nanotube storgae block being hit by an explosive projectile would simply shatter, and the pieces would just burn down quietly.

I've never heard of nanotube blocks used as a reinforcement structure for any kind of engine. And I don't think fuel cells are prone to exploding... I mean that's the whole point there is to them, slow oxidation without giving off all the sound, heat, light and everything usually involved. if fuel cells were exploding left and right, NASA surely wouldn't use them in spacecraft.

[quote name='Moriarty' date='Sep 27 2005, 08:30 AM'][...]
I've never heard of nanotube blocks used as a reinforcement structure for any kind of engine. And I don't think fuel cells are prone to exploding... I mean that's the whole point there is to them, slow oxidation without giving off all the sound, heat, light and everything usually involved. if fuel cells were exploding left and right, NASA surely wouldn't use them in spacecraft.
[right][post="136082"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Yes, you're right here. Fuel cells don't tend to explode. And the nanotube is thought to be a sort of container for the fuel, but as far as I understood (in the other CTs, thats why I took this system - to be compatible with other CTs, just like Asty mentioned) the container and the... let's call it "oxidation chamber" are one part. (they are not the same part, but "glued" together) So as far as i understand it, it's a nanotube grid, in which the hydrogen is stored and slowly resorbated in the oxidation chamber. I think of this as a black box which has a plug for refilling it with hydrogen and two contacts for grabbing the power.

[quote name='Mad' date='Sep 27 2005, 10:03 AM']So as far as i understand it, it's a nanotube grid, in which the hydrogen is stored and slowly resorbated in the oxidation chamber. I think of this as a black box which has a plug for refilling it with hydrogen and two contacts for grabbing the power.[/quote]

ah, okay. but then perhaps the description in the text is misleading... or it is only misleading me :)

[quote name='Moriarty' date='Sep 27 2005, 01:03 PM'][quote name='Mad' date='Sep 27 2005, 10:03 AM']So as far as i understand it, it's a nanotube grid, in which the hydrogen is stored and slowly resorbated in the oxidation chamber. I think of this as a black box which has a plug for refilling it with hydrogen and two contacts for grabbing the power.[/quote]

ah, okay. but then perhaps the description in the text is misleading... or it is only misleading me :)
[right][post="136090"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
might be, that's why I changes it... :) (in the XCAP-AG, will change it in the normal XCAP in the next draft) Edited by Mad

...which is coming right now. Only changes the Fuel cell thing... :)

Still needs a Fluff. Or doesn't it? Everyting else is ok, as far as I'm concerned :)

[quote]XCAP CHASSIS

Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. [b]To increase the safety of ground personnel, the hydrogen is stored within a explosion-proof nanotube containment block which is directly connected to the oxidation chamber, placed inside the same CFP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic) housing.[/b] Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows safe, continued function at near-peak capacities even after sustaining critical damage.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology the MTC's autonomy software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agent's full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original MTC design, X-Corps Command purchased manufacturing rights so specialized MTCs can be quickly produced to meet needs as they arise. The internal name for this weapon system is XCAP: the X-Corps Assault Platform."

The single hardpoint of our XCAP can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment, allowing a battle specific armament for outstanding battlefield performance, though unfortunately a fast re-equipment is not possible due to the complex modifications of the XCAPs mechatronics the different weapon types demand.[/quote]

AH, I have got my answer - there IS a main bit :D I really should read every single thread twice over before posting LOL

May I ask why there is a 'chassis' bit, and another for each individual piece? It doesn't make a great deal of sense to be honest.

I do agree that specific historical references should be deleted. Instead, maybe use a more abstract version?

Eg:

When it became obvious that Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROV) had many superiorities to mere man power, they were deployed in the late twentieth century and saw a great deal of action. They became instrumental to the modern tactical fighting force, and were adopted by many Special Forces units across the world.

The revolutionary system behind any ROV is that skills learnt by one pilot are not lost by the destruction of a ROV. The pilot is usually far behind live operations, and is able to support his comrades with much greater firepower than is usually possible with a small squad. This means that the pilot can switch from a destroyed ROV and be able to command another immediately, and could theoretically enter combat again within a matter of minutes.

Well, you get the idea... ^_^

[quote name='dipstick' date='Sep 27 2005, 09:04 PM']There is no need necessarily to have the same text for each.  In any case, the chassis are not the same if you think about it.  Especially alien v human tech.
[right][post="136114"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

what do you mean by "alien v human tech"? if you mean treaded xcaps (=tanks) versus antigrav xcaps (=hover tanks), yes, but all standard xcaps are created equal, and all antigrav xcaps are created equal. in the end, the chassis text will probably be integrated into each xcap text, but it will still be the same chassis, ergo the same text.

[quote name='dipstick' date='Sep 27 2005, 05:04 PM']There is no need necessarily to have the same text for each.  In any case, the chassis are not the same if you think about it.  Especially alien v human tech.
[right][post="136114"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Yup, the chassis is indeed the same for the Cannon, Rocket and Laser XCAPs, the chassis is different in the case of the Plasma and Fusion, which is hover.

[quote]Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground personnel, the hydrogen is stored within a explosion-proof nanotube containment block which is directly connected to the oxidation chamber, placed inside the same CFP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic) housing.[/quote]
Well, the text says the MTC is powered by hydrogen fuel cells... then it says the [i]hydrogen[/i] is stored in the "explosion-proof nanotube containment block". Um, isn't the hydrogen inside the fuel cell? I also thought someone said that fuel cells wouldn't explode... so is the containment block part even necessary?

Wow. There has been some activity... :)
So I've taken out the historical links. The problem I see, is that in a lot of texts there are references to the golf reformation wars. So we've a lot of work to do.
@Dipstick: It is only logical to have the same chassis (slightly modified) for all three weapon types (or for the two hoverbased weapon types also the same hoverchassis). If you have the possibility to use a modular platform you always will, thus greatly minimizing production and maintanance costs.

[quote]XCAP CHASSIS
[b]In the early years of the 21st century, the first Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) saw military use.[/b] These early models had few, if any weapons and completely lacked autonomy software, instead being directly controlled by a “pilot” in a remote controlling center. [b]The viciousness of the severe conflicts in these days [/b]combined with advancements in composites and political fallout from human losses pushed the military ROV into the forefront of both development and deployment.

Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground personnel, the hydrogen is stored within a explosion-proof nanotube containment block which is directly connected to the oxidation chamber, placed inside the same CFP (Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic) housing. Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows safe, continued function at near-peak capacities even after sustaining critical damage.

The single hardpoint of our XCAP can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment, allowing a battle specific armament for outstanding battlefield performance, though unfortunately a fast re-equipment is not possible due to the complex modifications of the XCAPs mechatronics the different weapon types demand.[/quote]

Very nice, I like this one a lot, just a couple of minor comments :)
1. Acronyms, always the whole phrase first, and in parenthesis the acronym, for example: "Unidentified Flying Object (UFO)"
Oh, and don't use ":" after XCAP, same thing there, it should read "X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP).
2. I think it sounds a bit silly the X-Corps buying manufacturing rights, they are saving the planet! they are [b]given[/b] all they have at the beginning (the fact that they have limited funding instead of unlimited only means that humans are greedy enough to compromise their own world :P, thing we see nowadays...). I think it would be better if the MTC was a technology developed a few years before (maybe in 2009) and was improved and customized for the X-Corps, for the special battle conditions they are about to face.
3. Fluff, I have a suggestion! (not mine):

"I will not "ride" the XCAP making VRRROOOOOOM BANG BANG noises as we enter the battlefield."
- Rule 12, X-Corps Rookie Training Manual (yep, my neverending list of stupid rookie jokes :P)

Besides that, I really like it, good work :) Edited by Azrael

[quote name='Azrael' date='Sep 29 2005, 05:17 AM']2. I think it sounds a bit silly the X-Corps buying manufacturing rights, they are saving the planet! they are [b]given[/b] all they have at the beginning (the fact that they have limited funding instead of unlimited only means that humans are greedy enough to compromise their own world :P, thing we see nowadays...). I think it would be better if the MTC was a technology developed a few years before (maybe in 2009) and was improved and customized for the X-Corps, for the special battle conditions they are about to face.[/quote]
Well, I thought maybe the manufacturer only sells already built MTCs and doesn't let anybody sneek into his construction plans, so you have to buy them first to improove the MTC. But your explanation might be clearer.

[quote]3. Fluff, I have a suggestion! (not mine):

"I will not "ride" the XCAP making VRRROOOOOOM BANG BANG noises as we enter the battlefield."
- Rule 12, X-Corps Rookie Training Manual (yep, my neverending list of stupid rookie jokes :P)[/quote]

Actually... I don't like it thaaat much, but why not... :)

[quote]Besides that, I really like it, good work :)[/quote]

Thx a lot! Next draft to come soon. :)

Here it is!

[quote]XCAP CHASSIS
In the early years of the 21st century, the first Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) saw military use. These early models had few, if any weapons and completely lacked autonomy software, instead being directly controlled by a “pilot” in a remote controlling center. The viciousness of the severe conflicts in these days combined with advancements in composites and political fallout from human losses pushed the military ROV into the forefront of both development and deployment.

Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground personnel, the hydrogen is stored within a explosion-proof nanotube containment block which is directly connected to the oxidation chamber, placed inside the same [b]Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFP)[/b] housing. Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows safe, continued function at near-peak capacities even after sustaining critical damage.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology the MTC's autonomy software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agent's full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. [b]Since the original MTC design is from the year 2009 X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original MTC design, that we decided to share the modified plans with the original manufacturer who now is able to produce these specialized MTCs very fast to meet needs as they arise. The manufacturing company agreed to a eight year exclusive deal with X-Corps. The internal name for this weapon system is  X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP).[/b]

The single hardpoint of our XCAP can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment, allowing a battle specific armament for outstanding battlefield performance, though unfortunately a fast re-equipment is not possible due to the complex modifications of the XCAPs mechatronics the different weapon types demand.
[b]
“I will not “ride” the XCAP weaving a hat and shouting “YYEEEEEHAAAWWW”
- Rule 12, X-Corps Rookie Training Manual[/b][/quote]

I feel that added paragraph relating to the production sounds a little like a website of a manufacturer....

How about saying something like:

'The XCAP is based on a revolutionary design by militaries across the world. It has been heavily modified, with increased armour and weaponry, in order to better fight the alien menace'

And I have a better fluff:

'There will be no taunting of the XCAP pilot, whilst in active combat. We all remember what happened to Johnnie, don't we...?' ~ Captain dipstick issuing friendly advice to the squaddies.

[quote name='dipstick' date='Sep 30 2005, 03:34 PM']I feel that added paragraph relating to the production sounds a little like a website of a manufacturer....[/quote]
I agree, and that is exactly how I wanted it to sound, since this is a full fleshed scientific report. The just modified an existing industry product.
With your version I have the problem, that it sounds like you can produce the XCAP yourself, but you can only buy it.

[quote]'There will be no taunting of the XCAP pilot, whilst in active combat.  We all remember what happened to Johnnie, don't we...?' ~ Captain dipstick issuing friendly advice to the squaddies.
[right][post="136281"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Actually I like my fluff more, because it is a refference to the movie... um... Mo? How was the correct title again? I always forget it... Somethig like "How I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb", which is one of my favourite ones.. :D

[quote name='Moriarty' date='Oct 4 2005, 08:42 AM']"Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb"
[right][post="136530"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Ayayay... I'll never keep that in mind... it exceeds my intellect... :P

• 2 weeks later...
Completed, good work.
---------

XCAP CHASSIS

In the early years of the 21st century, the first Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) saw military use. These early models had few, if any weapons and completely lacked autonomy software, instead being directly controlled by a “pilot” in a remote controlling center. The viciousness of the severe conflicts in these days combined with advancements in composites and political fallout from human losses pushed the military ROV into the forefront of both development and deployment.

Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground personnel, the hydrogen is stored within a explosion-proof nanotube containment block which is directly connected to the oxidation chamber, placed inside the same Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFP) housing. Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows safe, continued function at near-peak capacities even after sustaining critical damage.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology the MTC's autonomy software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agent's full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since the original MTC design is from the year 2009 X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original MTC design, that we decided to share the modified plans with the original manufacturer who now is able to produce these specialized MTCs very fast to meet needs as they arise. The manufacturing company agreed to a eight year exclusive deal with X-Corps. The internal name for this weapon system is X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP).

The single hardpoint of our XCAP can accommodate a variety of modular turrets, from conventional weapon systems to custom designed battlefield support equipment, allowing a battle specific armament for outstanding battlefield performance, though unfortunately a fast re-equipment is not possible due to the complex modifications of the XCAPs mechatronics the different weapon types demand.

- Rule 12, X-Corps Rookie Training Manual Edited by Azrael

• 1 year later...

Only for proofreading - please check consistency with other xcap CTs

XCAP CHASSIS

Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground personnel, the hydrogen is stored within a explosion-proof nanotube containment block which is directly connected to the oxidation chamber, placed inside the same Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFP) housing. Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows safe, continued function at near-peak capacities even after sustaining critical damage.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology the MTC's autonomy software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agent's full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human lifeforms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since the original MTC design is from the year 2009 X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original MTC design, that we decided to share the modified plans with the original manufacturer who now is able to produce these specialized MTCs very fast to meet needs as they arise. The manufacturing company agreed to a eight year exclusive deal with X-Corps. The internal name for this weapon system is X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP).

- Rule 12, X-Corps Rookie Training Manual

Pretty good I guess, just some grammar and punctuation changes as well as some rewording. Normal notations.

XCAP CHASSIS

The peak of current ROV technology is the Modular Tank Chassis (MTC), built of carbon-reinforced, high-impact plastic for lightness, giving it an unmatched agility at an and impressive durability. Twin composite treads are laced with carbon-filament for strength, and, combined with the MTC's liquid-magnetic suspension, allow high travel speeds in virtually any terrain.

Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground personnel, the hydrogen is stored within an explosion-proof nanotube containment block which is directly connected to the oxidation chamber, placed inside the same Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFP) housing. Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows safe, continued function at near-peak capacities even after sustaining critical damage.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology the MTC's autonomy software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agent's full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human life forms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since the original MTC design is from the year 2009, X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original MTC design that we decided to share the modified plans with the original manufacturer who now is able to produce these specialized MTCs very fast to meet needs as they arise. The manufacturing company agreed to an eight year exclusive deal with X-Corps. The internal name for this weapon system is X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP).

B)

- Zombie

XCAP CHASSIS

The peak of current ROV technology is the Modular Tank Chassis (MTC), built of carbon-reinforced, high-impact plastic for lightness, giving it unmatched agility and impressive durability. Twin composite treads are laced with carbon-filament for strength, and, combined with the MTC's liquid-magnetic suspension, allow high travel speeds in virtually any terrain.

Powered by state of the art hydrogen fuel cells, it can sustain field speeds in excess of 45 km/h for 24 hours. To increase the safety of ground personnel, the hydrogen is stored within an explosion-proof nanotube containment block which is directly connected to the oxidation chamber, placed inside the same Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFP) housing. Armored with fifteen layers of ceramic composite mesh, the MTC is well protected against attack with standard ammunition. In addition, redundancy in vital systems allows safe, continued function at near-peak capacities even after sustaining critical damage.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology the MTC's software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agent's full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human life forms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since the original MTC design is from the year 2009, X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original MTC design blueprints? that we decided to share the modified plans with the original manufacturer who now is able to produce these specialized MTCs very fast to meet needs as they arise. The manufacturing company agreed to an eight year exclusive deal with X-Corps. The internal name for this weapon system is X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP).

I like the blueprints addition to the text, let's keep that! Done maybe? =b

- Zombie

I'd like someone else (or you a second time...) to have a thorough look first. kafros?

XCAP CHASSIS

The peak of current ROV technology is the Modular Tank Chassis (MTC), built of carbon-reinforced, high-impact plastic for lightness, giving it unmatched agility and impressive durability. Twin composite treads are laced with carbon-filament for strength, and, combined with the MTC's liquid-magnetic suspension, allow high travel speeds in virtually any terrain.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology the MTC's software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agent's full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human life forms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since the original MTC design is from the year 2009, X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original blueprints that we decided to share the modified plans with the original manufacturer who now is able to produce these specialized MTCs very fast to meet needs as they arise. The manufacturing company agreed to an eight year exclusive deal with X-Corps. The internal name for this weapon system is X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP).

Edited by Mad

XCAP CHASSIS

In the early years of the 21st century, the first Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) saw military use. These early models had few, if any, weapons and completely lacked autonomy software, instead being directly controlled by a “pilot” in a remote controlling center. The viciousness of the severe conflicts in these days combined with advancements in composites and political fallout from human losses pushed the military ROV into the forefront of both development and deployment.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology, the MTC's software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agent's full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human life forms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since the original MTC design is from the year 2009, X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original blueprints that we decided to share the modified plans with the original manufacturer who now is able to produce these specialized MTCs very fast to meet needs as they arise. The manufacturing company agreed to an eight year exclusive deal with X-Corps. The internal name for this weapon system is X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP).

Are these supposed to be the same?

I did some research on those, I can't find anything that would cause us problems

Maybe this could be explained.. Why really? It is controlled my an interlan network of nodes? Many backup systems? Can't the electronics get jammed?

Shouldn't the pilot also be aware if some Aliens start throwing alien grenades on the craft's engines? :D

I guess radiowaves are used, right? So, is it really worth mentioning?

In addition, their contract should mention that after that period they would only sell it as a military prototype, no mentioning of it's anti-alien background, X-Corps etc etc etc

wohow! This is proofreading, not active! ;)

concearning some of your comments:

#1 no. and yes. different part of the tank. it could (and possibly is :P ) be the same material, but it's not the same part. What difference does it make?

#2 nobody said it would cause problems. Did I miss something? Oh, you were just preemptive? :) Well, I did some research too before writing this stuff... ;)

#3 I expalined this pretty in-depth in a previous version. it was opted out my Moriarty and Zombie IIRC

#4 no. :P

#5 yes. it depends on the software; that's your bottleneck. not the transmitter technique

#6 no. of no importance to the game or the techicans or the base commander. That's advocates stuff... ;)

Don't agree with your first comma, do agree with the second one.

Anything else? :) Zombie?

Edited by Mad

One little change, pending your approval. Otherwise... I like it very much! B)

XCAP CHASSIS

In the early years of the 21st century, the first Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) saw military use. These early models had few, if any, weapons and completely lacked autonomy software, instead being directly controlled by a “pilot” in a remote controlling center. The viciousness of the severe conflicts in these days combined with advancements in composites and political fallout from human losses pushed the military ROV into the forefront of both development and deployment.

The peak of current ROV technology is the Modular Tank Chassis (MTC), built of carbon-reinforced, high-impact plastic for lightness, giving it unmatched agility and impressive durability. Twin composite treads are laced with carbon-filaments for strength, and, combined with the MTC's liquid-magnetic suspension, allow high travel speeds in virtually any terrain.

Although fully autonomous combat support vehicles are still beyond current technology, the MTC's software enables it to function without constant input from its operator. Following our policy to ensure the agent's full concentration on the battlefield situation, the MTCs are maneuvered by our pilots using a highly sophisticated control console from within the drop ship. Featuring a virtual reality device connected to the MTCs sensor net it gives the pilot an extended range of view allowing an efficient support of the ground troops in every situation. Basic command macros were implemented enabling a single operator to have safe and effective control over several MTCs simultaneously. Commands are sent virtually instantaneously, and interpreted and executed in real time. X-Corps Technicians developed special algorithms that include rudimentary recognition of non-human life forms and advanced terrain filters altering the custom MTC autonomy software package. Since the original MTC design is from the year 2009, X-Corps specifications demanded so many major modifications and upgrades to the original blueprints that we decided to share the modified plans with the original manufacturer who now is able to produce these specialized MTCs very fast to meet needs as they arise. The manufacturing company agreed to an eight year exclusive deal with X-Corps. The internal name for this weapon system is X-Corps Assault Platform (XCAP).

- Zombie

Oops kinda missed that. :doh:

Well, I think it reads better without it because there is an "and" almost right after the comma. Suppose we should just leave it out then. :wink1:

- Zombie