XCOMUFO & Xenocide

music?

shunx

Hmm its weird because I can hear the music...
What about the tactical combat?
Can you hear this characteristic music theme during the missions?
Maybe your sound card has legacy support mode disabled...?

[quote name='adlep' date='Sep 28 2002, 04:50 AM']Hmm its weird because I can hear the music...
What about the tactical combat?
Can you hear this characteristic music theme during the missions?
Maybe your sound card has legacy support mode disabled...?[/quote]
Thanks, I found out the music plays under W98 but not in XP, I think the legacy support for my sound card does not exist in XP.

What sound card and OS do you use to play Xcom?

I have a 98 machine with Crystal Audio (whatever that is) and an XP machine with an old Sound Blaster 16 (still chuggin along after long years) and the music works with both. One problem I initially had with XP was that the MIDI sound was muted in the Master Out volume control. I simply unmuted it and it started playing.

-Micah
[email protected]
www.xcomufo.com

Well, I do have UFO running without a glitch on 2 machines:
1. The main monsta, PIV 1.8 @ 2.52 at 140 Mhz fsb with ATI RADEON 8500, and Sound Blaster Live, running Win XP
I can hear the music and sounds. Once again no glitches at all
AND I am running NTFS btw
2. Sony Vaio AMD DURON based laptop, which has a crappy Via sound on board (it is integrated in north- brige of the chipset I guess..
Also no problems at all when runnig the game with music fix and compatibility patch....

with my XP my MIDI is not muted and I can hear MIDI files fine but I can't hear Xcom's music. Not a big deal I guess, it's probably my card, a Diamond MX300 which has some driver issues with XP.

Anyone ever used an Audigy with Xcom either in XP or Win98?

Yeah, I'm running XCom Collector Edition under XP - my sound card is an Audigy Platinum. No problems here...

Some things you might want to consider... try changing where your midi is output to - as a last resort, you should try outputting to DirectMusic. =p

[quote name='Mithrandel' date='Sep 30 2002, 04:47 AM']Some things you might want to consider... try changing where your midi is output to - as a last resort, you should try outputting to DirectMusic. =p[/quote]
you're right! How silly of me to forget that. Kudos to you and thanks :-)

Guest stewart
I always wondered if I had music problems because of the tune that plays during Battlescape; is it supposed to sound like a helicopter? Mine has music but over top of it there's this tucka-tucka-tucka sound; is that supposed to happen?

• 2 weeks later...
Call me crazy, but I play the xcoms down in DOS. In my case I'm running win98, but I set up a custom autoexec.bat and config.sys just for xcom. I like the music of the old dos versions better. Seems like the midi files they use for the collectors editions just don't sound as good (I'm kind of a stickler about the music, the old dos versions sound more moody and eerie to me). Of course my crappy sound card doesn't have wave-table synth, but for xcom I love the FM synth music.

Anyway, onto my main point. One alternative if you're using XP (or any windows version and it's being a pain the but despite all your efforts. Sooner or later some dos game will be pain in Windows), would be to setup a small partition just for dos games. I think xcom is worth the trouble. I know it's not for everyone, but if you like alot of classic dos games, the effort often pays off in the long run.

That solution isn't for everyone, but I thought I'd mention it 'cause it may be just the thing for some. If you have partition magic then it's a real breeze to set up that way.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='shunx' date='Oct 2 2002, 12:50 AM'][quote name='Mithrandel' date='Sep 30 2002, 04:47 AM']Some things you might want to consider... try changing where your midi is output to - as a last resort, you should try outputting to DirectMusic. =p[/quote]
you're right! How silly of me to forget that. Kudos to you and thanks :-)[/quote]
Whats DirectMusic?

When I check my Sound and Audio Devices in Control Panel (XP user here) I have 5 choices for my MIDI music playback, but none are DirectMusic. Four are Audigy things, the 5th is a Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. Whatever the heck that is. LOL

I have sounds in game, but no music. Feels kind of lonely without the original music. :mellow:

• 1 month later...
Guest Christopher Neuhauser
Ya know what guys...I don't have the sound effects in the into either. If you play the game you'll notice something else too...THERE'S ONLY ONE ALIEN DEATH CRY....its the same one for each species. No different kill noises! :uzzi:

Guest Christopher Neuhauser
Ok so I uninstalled the collector edition and tried installing the original floppy version....ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THAT HELICOPTER SOUND?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mike[F]
Replace the midi file it's in with one of the other midi files. I forget the names, but you can preview them in winamp or whatever to find the right one.

If you copy it over with one that's too long, it kinda cuts out a bit - but it's much better than the helicopter thingy :)

Mike

I have both versions of XCOM and TFTD (the original DOS releases and the CE editions) and to be honest I seem to get better sound quality and music in the CE editions then what I remember in DOS.

Maybe it's because on my old DOS machine I had a PAS 16 soundcard, and when compared to a more modern and better sounding SB Live! Value it's no wonder. :D

But to my knowledge the best way to fix most sound problems is to get the CE of the xcoms and if needed use the sound/music/video fix by Fodder.

Guest Quinn_Inuit
I've got the helicopter/takka-takka sound on the battlescape, too. Only there, though. Otherwise, my original floppy version works just fine.

Here's what I think is up. I think it's not a music issue, since when the sound is disabled and the music is enabled it doesn't occur. I'm running VDMS through Abandon Loader, but that doesn't clear up the problem.

Also, how do I get at the individual sound and music files? I would love to go in there and figure out the problem, but they appear to be packed together in .cat files or something.

• 1 year later...
Sorry to ressurect such an old topic, but i thought it would be better to post in an old topic rather then start a new thread...

Anyway, I'm having similar problems where I can't hear music, plasma sounds, footsteps, psionic attacks and the only death screams I can hear are that of the aliens.

I've tried the suggestions listed above but still... no luck.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...
I'm having the same "helicopter" sound glitch. It's in the midi file "GMTACTIC". I tried replacing the file with the battlescape music off this site, but it didn't work (I didn't think it would, since it's an mp3, but it didn't hurt to try ;) )

Is there any way I can replace it with a different file? Does anyone have a midi file to replace it with?

You could just make a copy of gmgeo2.mid (or gmgeo1.mid if you prefer), rename gmtactic.mid to gmtactic.bak or whatever you want (possibly delete it even), and then rename the copy to gmtactic.mid.

Or just open up Google and do a search for midis. Hundreds and thousands (or perhaps hundreds of thousands) of possible midi files to choose from with a bit of persistence. Find a midi you think would fit the tactical combat theme and away you go.

Some day someone's going to make a xcomutil-like program (i.e. it does its magic in the batch file that runs between the game executables) that can swap midi files in and out to offer a bit of variety in music. Possibly even change music to suit the terrain even if they're really ambitious.

- NKF Edited by NKF

• 1 month later...

MP3 Music Patch for X-COM UFO CE

Click here for more information

I'm having the same "helicopter" sound glitch. It's in the midi file "GMTACTIC". I tried replacing the file with the battlescape music off this site, but it didn't work (I didn't think it would, since it's an mp3, but it didn't hurt to try ;) )

Is there any way I can replace it with a different file? Does anyone have a midi file to replace it with?

Edited by SpyMaster