XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Alien Goal

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Jan 28 2004, 04:37 PM']I always envisioned the Vaaish to be a race that you know nothing about,except that they want to kill you.[/quote]
I had that picture too..

IMO a good story is one that isn't presented right away but opens up to the player while playing the game. Like in Star Control 2. Things just get more strange ang complicated and the player is kept in mystery of what is really the truth and it really pushes you to keep playing. This is the key to a good storyline.

Two seperate issues. The presentation of the story, and the creation of the story. What I am concerned with here is the creation of the goal story. What gives the aliens their motivation? Once the story is laid out, the presentation can be decided upon. Being on the creative side of the story, spoils us from the mystery of it being presented.

[quote name='Whitewashed' date='Jan 28 2004, 04:52 PM']IMO a good story is one that isn't presented right away but opens up to the player while playing the game. Like in Star Control 2. Things just get more strange ang complicated and the player is kept in mystery of what is really the truth and it really pushes you to keep playing. This is the key to a good storyline.[/quote]
That's what I was saying. -> I agree.

this is gonna be impossible to decide, why dont we get the best ideas together and make a poll or something.
maybe we can combine the best bits of the top three ideas?

[quote name='Kamikazee' date='Jan 29 2004, 12:24 AM']this is gonna be impossible to decide, why dont we get the best ideas together and make a poll or something.
maybe we can combine the best bits of the top three ideas?[/quote]
Yeah, someone should make a new poll with the different options described in detail. I think that we should do an elimination contest and vote on the one we certainly wouldn't want in the game, drop off the loser and start another round. This way I think the most people would be satisfied with the winner.

As I'm working on the the XML coding for the X-Net right now, the "short but sweet" concept has been floating in my head recently... the comment of picking the best from several themes made me think about a "choose your own adventure" story. Would it be safe to say that most of the ideas could include a few key points, like there was an alien race which started on earth and left; the aliens come back but are somehow delayed; they eventually regroup on mars to start their attack. I'm wondering if we were to vote on certain points like that and make them "official storyline anchors" or something, then people could do their own fill-in-the-blanks story and we could look at those? Just tossing out ideas here, I agree with keeping the juices flowing.

Okay hold up...

I think someone whould start a new thread where we can list every possible story line we have in 50 words or less, cuase there are some ideas here that I'm not sure if they're seperate or not.

Yes, that vote idea has my support. That way we can stop thinking about the whole story and can finally get on with this. After we have chosen the best story, we can start to file that to better format.

First we need all the candidates for the story idea.
Then when candidates have reported, they write the storys and PM it to me.
Then I make a poll about it.

Is this idea OK for everyone?

Okay. Who wants their story in the poll? Answer with a post [b]"ME"[/b] Edited by Nyyperoid

*quickly disguises himself as mikker* :ph34r:

mikker: ME!

The Alien Goal, why attack earth, and how?
so basically In 50 words?:

Enslave Humans with military force and minimum resources

Even in desperation, The Overminds sole character flaw "arrogance" has ruled out any possibility for Diplomatic resolution.

The overminds goal is to cultivate humans into half breeds via chryssalid impregnation. By doing this, the overmind can replace the casualties from both conflicts.

That's a very simple but a good start :)

So far only anthraxus wants to get his story to the poll. Is there any others?

Didin't you notice that mikker wants his story added? :o

Me.

There is an unstoppable super race which annhilates all other sentient races. The overmind is currently fighting a losing war with this super race. They need humans *for soldiers or for genes to make better soldiers.*

The overmind wants to enslave all sentient races, but it is focusing on humans because we hold the key to defeating the uber race. Also, the overmind, due to megalomania and the dictator mentality, is incapable of honest diplomacy.

Use as much as you desire.

story anchours!

Okay im with breunor here we need a story 'asset list' so what do we definitely want from a story? so far I get the feeling most people want:

---> a war between two aliens
---> overminds and some other guys (viaash?)
---> a base on mars
---> and some reason why they dont launch a full scale attack at us

anything else?
add any other points as ---> so we can spot them easily.

before i forget heres an idea.
ME

ther is no other guys in this one.
the overmind plant 'seeds' on several worlds to create workers, slaves or genes etc for some reason (ideas here). we are one of these worlds. anyways, the seeds evolve and one world becomes exceptional (no not us) the 'other guys' (viaash?) evolve unexpectadly and launch a raged war against their creator. war breaks out and the overmind are crippled, the overmind use the seeded troops but they are pants so they come to us and go to turn us into troops for them.
here comes the but... the overmind discover that the 'other guys' have been visitng us for some while (abducting us to learn more about themselves and their creator) and that due to this we have become quite developed and are not prepared for the although small, unexpected resistance, so after a while they switch to assault.

a lot of this is cr@p so use bits if you want and filter the bulls#it out of it. Edited by Kamikazee

I don't want the aliens to fight any other aliens, there was none of that in the original games :(

yeah but the player probably wont be told this.
to be quite honest i dont like it either but almost every story so far has been based around it

[quote]and ill say me for whitewashed a couple of times. just to pay back.

whitewashed: MEMEME![/quote]

:LOL:
...but I don't have a story, I just like yours and hope it beats the Vaaish :ph34r:

I know im gonna have a lot of enemies after this but has anybody considered having a different story to xcom.
same gameplay different story, i mean the story was good but not good enough to be repeated in another game. we need origional ideas, like weve got origional alien names etc.

We should assume that previous stories listed in this thread are candidates as well, just because a member is no longer around or out for a week or three doesn't mean the idea should be skipped over.

But for the quick and easy alien goal recipe, I like Mikker's take on it too. Really advanced aliens coming back to take us while we're undeveloped, navigator fat-fingers the hyperdrive coordinates, causes the mothership to crash on Mars while aliens are blissfully ignorant in their cryosleep. They wake up due to I Love Lucy reruns beaming into space, decide that sh!t needs to stop and plan their attack! :)

I don't know...I kind of perfer more depth to why the aliens are attacking. I mean, aliens just coming and killing us because they want to doesn't seem like much of a story. Plus, we don't want people to think the CTD is too lazy to come up with a good story!

Aren't all the alien races slaves under the Brain ? The Mutons are at least.

[quote name='Anthraxus' date='Jan 29 2004, 11:21 AM']Wow.  Very concise.  I'm impressed.  Good Job RS.[/quote]
ta, but it was created from the common ground [u]in all the previous ideas[/u]. My hopes were that we can establish a basic foundation/idea for furture stories. How they vary from there is up to the author, also it was in response to andy's request hence i did not use the 2 letter word that starts with m and ends with e instead of just I ^_^

[quote]Okay im with breunor here we need a story 'asset list' so what do we definitely want from a story? so far I get the feeling most people want[/quote]
I agree that we should at some point create "story anchours!"

maybe--
---> Explanation of why Diplomacy is not an option for overmind
(easily done with character behavior)

---> Interesting twist in storyline

---> Added depth behind human existence (optional?)
(Can be easily used with Interesting storyline twist) Edited by RustedSoul

[quote name='Kamikazee' date='Jan 29 2004, 05:50 PM']wheres mikkers story must of missed it.
I usually skip long posts due to laziness[/quote]
page one.

i have to change it by the way.

1) a few 1.000 years after the ammonites departure from Earth, they have evolved into the Ethereals, and got a brain etc. They need soldiers (ageanst the Vaiish perhaps?), and need soldiers. They want to go to our solar system to get troops (the underwater aliens from the time of the ammonites). They build a overcaled battleship and takes off to take over the planet Mars whith was just as living as Earth at that time. however they misscalculate the dirrections and they crash into the outher moon of Mars, with partically destroys most it, and sending the blown off pieces pouring down on the planet. The battleship then gets catched with Mars' gravity, and gets dragged down. It also hits the other moon at downfall, reesulting in even more debris. Both moons gets deshaped by the impact, so they now just look like asteroids. At this point the aliens have been alerted, and goes into crypto state (those freezing champers) in the ship. The batteship crash and the main computer shuts down, and didn't wake them up again.

All the moon debris, and also the big battleship crashing, resulted in the destruction of all life on Mars, and maybe because of the reactor, the atmosphere goes thin/something.

When we send radio commands into space, it hits the main computer, and sets it on. The aliens wake up, and builds the new base. The aliens see that Earth have alot of human life as well as well as the aquasaliens, and decides to conquer BOTH humanity and the aqua aliens. Those aliens are in a similar state, but didn't wake up. because the radi signals didnt go down under the water. The brain knows that those aliens are "good" aliens, and wants to stop him. It decides to send a big beam down to it waking them up, and at the same time mindcontroling them all in the process (you are really vulnorable when you wakeing up from crypto state). But it takes time to build it, and they need resources (Including organical with can now only be found on Earth). They decide to invade Earth, and insets a certain tactic with makes it look like they are more then they acturly are. They are acturly more then enougth to take over Earth, but they need to build more ships to do a full-scale invasion, and they also need to build the big cannon. They takes some samples from Earth, and starts harvesting...

thats it. i think it fits well with the vaaich idea.

Well seems to me there's two options now.

1. A poll from all of these storys, winner will be the ground and foundation of the story and we can start fileing it instead of everyone posting completely new storys and ideas all the time.

2. That kamikazees idea about making an asset list which basically is a good idea but I can't see how we are getting anything done with this method. :huh?:

Well, opinions!? "Poll" or "Asset list"? What are we gonna do here? Edited by Nyyperoid

mikker, like your story and it fits in well however i don't see aliens being so dumb as to fly into a moon, youd think one of them would see it.
maybe they set out to defend mars from viaash attack who were using some mega uber gun platform like in interceptor. The alien ships managed to severely cripple the mega cannon but the cannon managed to fire and destroy life on mars but it overheated (or something) and blew up.
the alien ship from earth did not get destroyed as it hadn't reached mars yet but had been severely damaged by viaash patrols/fighters. so they land on mars and due to the change in atmosphere (which they didn't expect) they crash and go into status automatically.

as for a twist, couldn't you say that the humans on earth were decendeants of an alien (aquatoid) that came out of status? explains our similarity with them.

Meanwhile the viaash knowing they are fighting a losing war (this was only one victory out of many defeats) they watch humans closely abducting us trying to find a way to destroy the aliens using the knowledge our genes would provide.

Aliens on mars (have evolved from aquatoids into sectoids) have been building ships and go to earth to get aquatoid troops to attack viaash in a final magnificent battle. but find a new race, a race of humans who are very similar to sectoids (and their allies) ecept in that they have a few advantages; greater numbers, independant thought (not controlled by overmind as for some reason we evolved an immunity from that rather odd aquatoid that was not affected by its cryogenic freezing affect) and we also have another important quality which outpasses the aliens, a strong urge to live, so strong that it is impossible to enslave humanity.
These are my ideas to add.

as for asset list wot i meant to say is qualities the story should have, in other words 'anchours'. I would recommend an email vote or a poll.

[quote]Aliens on mars (have evolved from aquatoids into sectoids) have been building ships and go to earth to get aquatoid troops to attack viaash in a final magnificent battle. but find a new race, a race of humans who are very similar to sectoids (and their allies) ecept in that they have a few advantages; greater numbers, independant thought (not controlled by overmind as for some reason we evolved an immunity from that rather odd aquatoid that was not affected by its cryogenic freezing affect) and we also have another important quality which outpasses the aliens, a strong urge to live, so strong that it is impossible to enslave humanity.
These are my ideas to add.[/quote]

I'm not too fond of the Vaaish concept but I must say I do like this idea. The aliens coming for their ancestors trapped in the sea on earth and crashing on mars while on the way here because of some accident.

[quote]Well, opinions!? "Poll" or "Asset list"? What are we gonna do here?[/quote]

I think everyone should write their story in full with a one paragraph synopsis at the top and post it as an rtf here.

Then the Rtfs can be collected by someone and posted in a new thread with a poll. People can download all the rtf's then vote on thier favourite.

We should say, umm.. 1 week before the poll to post rtf's here?

ME!!!

Right story in 50 words:

Master race evolve (psilords RE: Interceptor). They create experiment (overmind) it enslaves its creators, does a little bit of conquering, then discovers Earth. It 'seeds' us, then goes away for a while. Checks back every couple of millenia to see if we are cooking nicely. Hurls a few metors every now a nd then to rid the planet of anything that could possibly get in the way of us. Genetically engineers every species it wishes to create. Creates gillmen off of sample taken from us a few hundred thousand years ago.

Skip a while

AD 1947 we SHOOT down first scout
AD 2000 (approx) time to reap the harvest.

Also in Part B above, plenty of science-backed waffle about how we only see a small fraction of UFOs until the invasion is ready. Also about how we see the UFOs, and why they are rarely captured.

Gillmen are part of invasion, but want to destroy their masters, then use our DNA for their own end. XCOM is created to deal with them instead of the real threat.

That is about as condensed as I can get.

PLEASE VOTE FOR ME :D

facehugger: cut and paste it into a new wordpad document and save it as anew file, then try.
failing that use a different program that uses rtf. eg. word. i think notepad works also

OK everybody, I see this thread being near the top on the "let's settle this" list, so we can work on other texts that branch from here. I will start going through this thread, starting at this end, and write down each summary idea I find. So if anyone wants to tweak their original idea or add a new one just reply and I'll get it that way. I'm looking at the broader points here not the fine details, so those can still be worked out. The main idea is to settle how this would appear in the X-Net description, obviously a lot more detail (read:fan fiction) can go from there.

For those who read closely, yes my cut and paste skills are top-notch! :)