XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Enlarged Graphics Are Pants.

LDZ

more important is to change the programming that makes default setting, for 1st time players, to "prefer enlarged battlefield"

their first game of ufo2000 and they are confronted with this monstorous blocky 1970's quality graphics. they take 1 step and then leave the game... never to try again.

and who can blame them?? they were lured here with the proise of an x-com copy player vs player, and when they start their VERY FIRST game... they get attack of the giant pixel men from the 50's!!

so maybe you should change the programming so that when default options are in play..( maybe the anonymous's dont know about the options button yet)... when the default settings are in play... that it is NOT enlarged battlefield????

just an idea.

LDZ

more important is to change the programming that makes default setting, for 1st time players, to "prefer enlarged battlefield"
Agreed, this, and the default resolution should be set to the highest that's less than their current res. This way they get the most map, but can still use F10, which rocks. Please don't counter this with "not everyone has perfect vision you know", people select their resolution, having the default less than that by one step, is more than fair.

"Not everyone has perfect vision you know" - Why do i say this? simply because i happen to have a friend who is vision impaired, without the scale2X feature, he wouldnt be able to play at all.

It also makes the game appear far more like the original Xcom games.

I agree that it isnt the best scenario to have it as the default, i suggest that a tickbox be added to the installer that gives you the option. I'd also like to see other tick boxes like: use Xcom graphics, Play in Window, generate random squad or import etc

...i happen to have a friend who is vision impaired...
<_ ok but the majority of people would prefer resolution proportional to their screen so i stand beside my one-step-less idea. data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="158059" data-ipsquote-username="Sporb" data-cite="Sporb" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="242026530" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic">
It also makes the game appear far more like the original Xcom games.
The Xcom games were great, not in how they looked but in the great gameplay, I think at large res it still looks similar enough, that's just an opinion tough...
...i suggest that a tickbox be added to the installer that gives you the option. I'd also like to see other tick boxes like: use Xcom graphics, Play in Window, generate random squad or import etc...
Sporb, your ideas are always good :) I like it, maybe radio buttons, "Resolution : Min, max, current, one step below current, custom (You will only be able to play the game in windowed mode if game resolution is less than your OS resolution)" or something... I also think the options dialogue should have ALL the options in the ini file, and it should appear immediately after the installer. Also options that will be applied only after UFO2K is restarted should have an asterix * after them, with said explanation. Edited by Brick-To-Face

Hmm, maybe I should use the opportunity and raise this issue here: A higher resolution is clearly an advantage, because one has a better overview over the battle field. On the other hand, I (and I assume I'm not alone with this oppinion) don't like to play with those tiny graphics. That's partly because of the x-com feeling I suppose. Maybe it would be possible to allow for a maximum resolution to be set before the game commences? Just like timelimit, pointlimit and all the other options.

Voller

i think the game resolution without scale 2X is the standard image size. To make the images smaller wouls require somthing like an unscale 2X

I dont believe that the game resolution is very much of an advantage. Sure you might see a little more of that shot aimed at your head, but it won't make you shoot any better.

I think the main problem with lower resolutions is that a lot of times you can't see the full path of your bullet being displayed with the ALT key. It would be nice if the ALT key display would leave a little red dot or something where the shot trace was obstructed. This way, if you were firing across the entire map, you can still tell what's blocking your shot.

Finally, despite how obnoxious LDZ was being in the other thread, I have to agree with him that an increased default resolution is the way to go. The battlescape view should also be resized appropriately to fill as much of the screen as possible (I can't remember what keys did this, but I had to do this manually a long time ago).

Edited by th15

Just for a reference: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8181

Well, I remember really lots of 'I hate you, sprites are too small' topics before, now seems like quite the opposite movement is starting :)

Anyway, you can set any screen resolution you want, and can either use scale2x mode or disable it. The reason to enable scale2x mode by default was to satisfy 'people coming from x-com find the sprites too small and want to see the familiar big pixels' demand.

I dont believe that the game resolution is very much of an advantage. Sure you might see a little more of that shot aimed at your head, but it won't make you shoot any better.
Ehem! You can see any changes made to the terrain you've allready explored. And I for one don't like memorizing which doors are open and which walls have been destroyed so far. Since ufo only auto-centers on new enemy units sighted and not newly bullets sighted or newly doors opened, I like to keep as much terrain as possible in my view :)
The battlescape view should also be resized appropriately to fill as much of the screen as possible (I can't remember what keys did this, but I had to do this manually a long time ago).
For most people it's easy to check out the config file, alter whatever you want. However, some people aren't technical enough to figure this out.

• 3 months later...

WAFFLE WAFLLE BORING....GOING OFF THE SUBJECT...........

im just saying....any new players that try this game.... will see for their first game....these crap graphics....and think..."this doesnt look like x-com" then they leave and never comeback..........

this is why the room was often empty...........

if you change the default setting............then they will stay.............

noone uses enlarged battlefield..........ITS PANTS!

LDZ

the thing nearly everyone ive spoken to about it says it that it obscures too much of the battlescape in game. In Xcom we had no choice but now we can have a large field of view