XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Direct3d Exception

inbredhill

When I start xenocide i get the following exception error:

Exception: Could not find a direct3d device that has a direct3d9-level driver and supports pixel shader 1.1 or greater.

StackTrace:

at microsoft.xna.framework.graphicasdvicemanager.checkforavilablesupportedhardware(

at microsoft.xna.framework.graphicasdvicemanager.changedevice(boolean forcecreate)

at microsoft.xna.framework.graphicasdvicemanager.microsoft.xna.framkework.igraphics

vicemanager.createdevice()

atmicrosoft.xna.framkework.game.run()

at projectxenocide.program.main() in c:\users\jason\documents\xenocide svn\xenoxna\xenocide\source\program.cs:line:44

Laptop is a toshiba satellite a65-s1069 with xp pro and a radeon mobility 7000 igp with the latest drivers.

Exception: Could not find a direct3d device that has a direct3d9-level driver and supports pixel shader 1.1 or greater.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R100#R...s_pixel_shaders

R100-based GPUs have programmable shading capability in their pipelines; however, the chips are not flexible enough to support the Microsoft Direct3D specification for Pixel Shader 1.1.

Your graphics card doesn't meet the requirements, sorry :(

DX8 vertex shaders can be emulated. The existing nVidia drivers should do it

already - the fact HL2 runs is indicative of that.

As far as I know, pixel shaders cannot be emulated without incurring massive

penalties in performance or quality.

Upgradability has historically been a weak point for laptops (and to a

lesser extent, SFF chassis). Just something you'll have to live with.

You could try using 3dAnalyze (tricks the game into thinking your hardware supports such features) and see if the game loads for you, but I guess you won't be able to see anything on the globe...

http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/download/

• 3 weeks later...

I get a similar exception but a little different

Exception: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsAdapter' Threw an exception.

StackTrace:

at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsAdapter.getAdapters()

at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CheckForAvailableSupportedHardware

)

at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.ChangeDevice(Boolean forceCreate)

at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.Microsoft.Xna.Framework.IGraphicsD

viceManager.CreateDevice()

at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()

at ProjectXenocide.Program.Main() in C:\Users\Jasin\Documents\Xenocide SVN\XenoXNA\Xenocide\Source\Program.cs:line 44

My card is a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 TE 64M / 6600 TE 128M so I thought it would work ok.

Is there anything I can do to help this problem?

Edited by marbolge

Guest Azrael Strife
Thanks for the reply Red Knight:

My driver version is 7.1.4.1 and hasn't been updated since 2005.

Any recomendations on the version I need and where I can find it?

The nVidia website might be a good place to start :P

And the latest version is probably the best choice.

Ok, I updated my driver which NVIDIA told me I had to do through Toshiba, who made the laptop, but I still have the same problem. Anything more I can do?

OK, Googling for "The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsAdapter' Threw an exception" gives a number of threads, with solutions that are essentially:

1. Install/Reinstall the latest version of the XNA 1.0 Refresh Redistributables.

2. Install/Reinstall the latest version of DirectX 9.0c. It needs to be the December 2006 release or newer. (Note, there are several versions of DirectX 9.0c, the December 2006 added some components that XNA needs.) Do NOT trust any version of DirectX 9.0c that was installed as part of any game, as the games usually don't install all the pieces.

Ok, that was the problem, I had installed Direct X 9.0c off of a game. With the newest version I'm running. Now I just have to get the audio pack playing. I have it in the xenocide directory (xna.Xenocide.0.2.0.1740) which is located in program files, and the sound options are on in the game, but no sound. Edited by marbolge