XCOMUFO & Xenocide

New Mission Types!

- How about a "pre-emptive strike" mission where you get to deploy your own guys first and wait for the aliens?

Say, you arrange an ambush outside of an alien base. You position your soldiers in the bushes, behind trees, or sulking far off with long-range weapons trained on the base's elevator? It would be a nice little treat to be at an advantage and surprize those alien pricks once in awhile. Imagine the possibilities with prox mines, pre-primed grenades, and positions in cover!

Maybe that could work by having 3 turns to do as you wish, and aliens don't start appearing on the map (all near the access lift) until turn 4. 3 turns is plenty to get into a good position. That eliminates the need for a "deployment phase".

- How about a "boarding action" mission, where you start on your avenger and enter the enemy UFO in mid air, taking them by surprise? Of course, they could also be waiting for you and it could be a disaster...but its a risk some players may take!

The above two missions could be triggered randomly (perhaps a 5% chance) when you do standard missions. Like when you assault a landed UFO, instead of a standard attack, you're already waiting in position instead.

- "Assassination": make new "Synapse" units that lord over alien squads. The objective is just to kill the leader, not necessesarily clear the entire map. For instance, Throw an ethereal in with mutons. Kill the ethereal, the mutons go inactive and you win. Kill a Sectoid leader to make the little turds panic and flee.

-"land grab" or "take and hold": perhaps make a victory condition seizing an alien-dominated and well-fortified part of the map. Or, conversely, guarding a piece of your map from aliens. Whoever controls the map by the end of, say, 6 turns is the winner.

Little changes like that will keep players entertained for countless extra hours, as they have new and different missions to kick alien arse in. Feedback anyone? More scenario ideas?

[quote]- How about a "pre-emptive strike" mission where you get to deploy your own guys first and wait for the aliens?[/quote]
I like that idea. Maybe it could be done only when you get a message with Hyper Wave Decoder that aliens are building a base in some specific location. For the balance we should have a huge alien force making that base. (In original there was two battleships and a lot of other ships too every time they made a base) That would be neat!!

[quote]- How about a "boarding action" mission, where you start on your avenger and enter the enemy UFO in mid air, taking them by surprise? Of course, they could also be waiting for you and it could be a disaster...but its a risk some players may take![/quote]
You don't think an ufo would make some special moves for avoiding this? It would be impossible IMO. If you have seen the movie "The perfect storm" starring George Clooney, you remember the attempt of refueling the helicopter in the mid flight in the storm. Take that and make it million times worse and harder because Ufo is trying to avoid you at all costs. Impossible.

[quote]- "Assassination": make new "Synapse" units that lord over alien squads. The objective is just to kill the leader, not necessesarily clear the entire map. For instance, Throw an ethereal in with mutons. Kill the ethereal, the mutons go inactive and you win. Kill a Sectoid leader to make the little turds panic and flee.[/quote]
It would a little bit like the last alien base mission in the original, you only had to kill the brain. I like the idea of getting more of this kind of missions.

• 6 months later...
How about the aliens going out on special mission?

For example, X-com's efforts have stopped the aliens from signing a pact with a countries government and so in order to stop that country's support to X-com they try to assassinate the country's leader!

Your objectives are obvious: stop the aliens from killing the President and wipe out the alien attackers!

Guest alex the greater
or win back missions whare you infltrate a country that has signed a pack and incite a revolution to end the pact it would be hard but it would be a points bonanza

and maby stelth missions whare you countrol one MIB insted of 8 solders it sneeak around and infultrate alien bases and pact signing countrys

Or just give them a couple of blasterbombs each and send them on their way :D

how about an search and destroy mission? you can only send 2-3 men in, and there are literally DOZENS of aliens (no psi though) and you have to destroy the 'command table-like' thing in the centre?

how about you must assasinate the etherial commander that is mind controlling a town, to try and save it from alien slavery(got the idea from Red alert 2)

All these sound awesome. I like the pre-emptive strike. It would be cool if you knew a haverster was going to land in a certain town or cow pasture, and you sit and wait for the buggers to come harvesting. BOOM big mastake little goobers.

[quote name='blehm' date='Aug 16 2004, 07:14 PM']how about you must assasinate the etherial commander that is mind controlling a town, to try and save it from alien slavery(got the idea from Red alert 2)
[right][post="90739"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Why assasinate him? I mean, I'd be plenty happy to capture an etherial commander, and if I've got stun bombs by that time...

[quote name='Cpl. Facehugger' date='Aug 17 2004, 12:28 AM'][quote name='blehm' date='Aug 16 2004, 07:14 PM']how about you must assasinate the etherial commander that is mind controlling a town, to try and save it from alien slavery(got the idea from Red alert 2)
[right][post="90739"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Why assasinate him? I mean, I'd be plenty happy to capture an etherial commander, and if I've got stun bombs by that time...
[right][post="90764"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]
Of course, who would'nt... ^_^

The point is to have an obligation, for some reason, to bring only 2-3 agents on a mission, wich would be a nice change of pace...
It could even be to capture a live human leader for all I care... Talk about Stun bombs fiesta...
"Here Mr. president, we don't have any Stun bombs left, so take this cattle zap-stick... I hope you're not cardiac..." :D

• 1 year later...

I like it! Perhaps you would get transport from a government or something to avoid using a Skyranger (And bringing along an extra 11 or 12 troops).

On the subject of boarding, perhaps you could research a tracktor-beam weapon for the avenger (That requires research of both the avenger and the flying suit), and you could then board a UFO mid air, but if you were to be stunned and fall with nothing under you, it'd be a death, etc.

• 9 months later...

Working off of a couple of these ideas, suppose a variation of a Retaliation mission where your transport is ambushed in mid-flight? The aliens disable your ship's defenses (if any), and then board the transport...made very difficult for you by the fact that:

1) Half your guys were knocked unconscious during the attack. This kind of needs to be here, otherwise one auto-shot into your ranks and it's all over.

2) Any explosive or incendiary devices used will blow a whole in one ship's hull, dooming both craft.

3) The entire battlefield is only composed of your ship (20-ish tiles) and the UFO (anywhere from 40 to a couple hundred tiles), so you have to use close-quarters strats...this is made easier by the no explosives rule.

4) And if you really want to piss some players off, you only get 20 turns to destroy the aliens and regain control of your ship, before you crash and everyone dies.

Potential issues:

1) Psi could wreak some serious havoc with the limited battle space.

2) If you have a tank, especially one with a rocket or blaster launcher, the first couple turns could be kinda messy.

3) Stun bombs will also have to be disabled, to avoid 1-turn missions.

Another interesting idea here is suppose the transport (Skyranger, Lightning, Avenger) is enlarged x2 or x4? The shape and texturing remain the same, but you get much more space to set up your men. Coupled with having a number of your guys stunned from the start, and thus unusable, this could get pretty interesting...

Edit: changed letters a, b, c, and d to numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 due to emoticon issues <_>

Edited by Tsereve