XCOMUFO & Xenocide

The Ow Stick

Crucible

You know what Xenocide V1+ needs that X-Com didn't have?

A huge, heavy, single-shot, ow-that-hurt-gun, like the Barrett .50 or the FN Hecate II.

How about this: The X82A5 Longbow. Ten round clip, high accuracy, high damage, REALLY heavy, REALLY expensive, huge TU expense, one shot. Tends to go through anything but alien alloys (in one shot, anyway), with an Aimed Shot that basically ends the war. But it uses depleted uranium, which is used because it's freaking heavy. I saw another version of the round that is accurate at 2500 ft but much smaller, something of an antipersonnel round. Lighter, maybe cheaper. But ammo for this gun is the kind you don't waste on a Sectoid. Or maybe you do...search ".50 Cal Snipe" on GoogleVideo to see what happens when you use a Barrett on humans.

This would, early on, be your Sectopod-cracker until you get heavy plasma.

When you do, the dilemma is this: The Heavy Plasma is ALMOST as lethal, ALMOST as accurate, FAR lighter, has a bigger clip (what was it, 25?) and will work in Cydonia's atmosphere. And oh, it can burst. Do you keep your one-shot act of God and keep a designated Hoverdisc-holepunch on the squad, or do you join the Plasma Club? I know I'd keep at least one ow-stick on the team.

---

"The Longbow is not a railgun. It is not a gauss gun. It doesn't use lasers or plasma or gamma rays, it doesn't take batteries or need alien elements from Ursa Minor to function. It's big tube containing a shell the size of a healthy carrot packed with a huge amount of propellant behind a round made of the heaviest element that can be safely handled by humans. It has an effective range of over two thousand feet, punctures helicopter fuselages, engine blocks, and reinforced tires. But not humans. Humans are not 'punctured.' They are destroyed. It is widely believed that it is illegal under the Geneva Convention to use it on humans for this reason. It's not true. It should be. It is an irony that the Longbow is based on technology we perfected by using on each other...

...welcome to Earth."

--X-Corps Commander William Pomeroy, USA-East