XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Aliens Have Unique Weaknesses

Sorry if this has been covered already. I'm a big fan of X-Com and am excited to read through the info here about Xenocide. I don't know whether to post this under weapons or Aliens, since it pertains to both.

Anyway, in the old X-com game there was basically an escalation of weaponry as you acquired more alien technology. Soon the original weapons were fairly useless against the aliens. It would be more interesting if certain alien races were actually more vulnerable to "primitive" weapons. For example, an insect-like race might be easily suffocated by a basic smoke grenade, or a gellatinous species would be vulnerable to a pepper-foam spray. On the other hand, another species might mutate into something nastier when exposed to the otherwise-very-handy neutron-emitting bomb. The player could learn these things from experience or from an autopsy report from scientists.

• 1 month later...
emm...it'll be too difficult to play for beginner if we have to use different weapon to deal with different kind of aliens.

maybe designer can make some resistance attribute for different sort of aliens.Such as A has 100% plasma resistance and 50% of sonic resistance and alien B has 70% explosive resistance and 80% stun resistance.

Is that a good idea?

That's a nice suggestion, platz. You don't want to turn the game into a paper-rock-scissors deal like Command and Conquer, but adding a little extra strategy to the game outside of "point and pull the trigger" surely wouldn't hurt any. You don't want weaknesses/strengths to be too dominant so that they ruin the pace or flow of the game, but that little extra "saving grace" would be a cool addition.

Sorry for the lax reply--this topic seemed to elude me until now. Edited by The Master Maniac

certainly it's a good idea and what i'm saying is that programmer can't set that one specific weapon can kill only this kind of alien and other weapons can't hurt that monster.

sorry, I'm a chinese and not good at english at all.... maybe it's a misunderstanding problem:blink:

eg.
for a certain weapon A, programmer can set that it does 100% damage to alien 1, does 80% damage to alien 2 and 50% to alien 3

for a certain weapon B, programmer can set that it can only do 50% damage to alien 1, but does 100% damage to alien 2 and 70% to alien 3

or different alien has different resistance

so, before hyper-wave decoder(xcom1)or transmission resolver(xcom2) has been developed,[[i]in another word, before the player can foresee the alien race of the battle[/i]],he/she must carry some different weapons to kill different aliens that might be appeared.

Here we have another problem...

I saw the battle equip pic, certainly there do have some cargo and space limit for both the ship and the soldier. The cargo limit of X-com1/2 is 80 and I don't know the limit of this game...In a real life, a solder carrying 2 or 3 main weapons during the battle is a little bit wacky and unpractical...

I firmed 2 or 3 soldiers as a team when I was playing x-com series. it worked fair well and I can make individal soldier carry different weapon to deal with different alien but I gotta say maybe...maybe it will be too much for a beginner.

X-com series(1-3) are real good games that I have ever played, but they were not pretty popular...I think the main reason is that x-com series are too difficult for most of people.