XCOMUFO & Xenocide

It is a bit of a pain with the old version to weedle out all the people you don't want.

Could there be some extra selective process in xenocide?

Plus in terms of ranks, i am presently messing around giving the people fake ranks, so that I know thier abilites without filling their name with numbers.

Could this also be possible?

Different specist units "Elite" type group for top rate Psi soldiers. For example.

:Coffee:

It might be an idea to give the commander a (metaphorical) drawer filled with ranks, medals and what have you that gets filled up as the positions become available. Then you can choose to award (or even take away) the rank at will.

Soldiers could also have a set of descriptive roles that they can be assigned to (nametags - hah). You could have your plain vanilla selection of scout, medic, heavy weapons expert, sniper, etc and a few custom tags.

You can also probably use these to filter soldiers in a list, such as filtering the list to only show soldiers by a certain position (could also work as a method of assigning a soldier into a sub-squad).

The soldiers need not stick to their assigned roles once they're given a role, but resetting carried equipment or other features may be able to take advantage of the various pre-set roles.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer a classic rank system -

depending on training, if your soldiers don't get officer training, they don't become officers, but can fight just as well, just they don't get as good of a bonus.

basic ranks:

Rookie, Squaddie, Experienced Squaddie

Non officer ranks:

Corperal*, Lance Corperal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Master Sergeant, First Sergeant, Sergeant Major

Officer ranks:

Second Lieutenant, First Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Lieutenant Colonel, colonel, Brigadier general**, Supreme Commander

* - an experience soldier can skip the rank of private, so why bother putting it up if you will have met the prerequisites of Corperal by the time you can be a private

** - Brigadier general is all that an organization like this would have, i mean i would really like to see independant organizations with major and lieutenant generals.

Some things I like:

-Being able to sort soldiers by rank to facilitate forming smaller squads of mixed loadouts.

-Besides ranks the game can give through performance, I like the custom rank/tagging concept.

-With relation to the above, creating soldier templates that further streamline the new soldier weeding out process, both by stats and what's carried by the catagorized templates you've made.

-Changing armor color schemes to help identify at a glance on the Battlescape what squad groupings you want working together.

-Room in the soldier's name bar for more characters just in case.

That's all I can think of for now.

Edited by Snakeman

I think I, as commander should be able to give commondations or whatever. They should also get promotions on their own due to training and experience.

Also, soldiers should get paid more the higher the rank they are.

assigning the ranks yourself would greatly involve the player in managing his soldiers, whithout much micro managment. which is EXCELLENT. i simply love it.

however, for it to be effective ranks should be made more effective. but that is a story for another time.

and ofcourse - colouring the armour is also a great idea.

While being able to give out promotions is fine and all, it is open to abuse. You could just slap whatever rank you want on any one character in order to get the fullest benefit for any given mission.

Soldiers should perhaps gain rank in 'elegibility' but leave the actual rank that is given out to the commander. So yes, it would be just the same old deal where the soldier gets enough experience to go up a rank - but not necessarily get it, but becomes eligible for the rank if you so choose to hand it out.

Rank of course should have the same old active role of influenceing the confidence of the group as a whole. Perhaps if soldiers get motivated enough (gain moralel), or even more than is necessary, they should get very minor improvements. For example, say their aim, while it shouldn't become better, will fail less often than it normally would. Basically instead of 0 - 50% accuracy, just to pick an example, we'd get 25% - 50% accuracy. i.e. they're less jittery because they're now more confident and less indecisive because their fearless leader is near them.

Now instead of a hive-mind mentality like there was in the originals, perhaps rank should only affect soldiers in a small radius - for example, a private rifleman on the other side of the map doesn't get into a panic fit when the sergeant kicked the bucket on the other side of the map. However a small squad of weak willed soldiers in trouble suddenly perk up as they the colonel rushes up to support them.

One additional deterrent for just changing promotions willy nilly is to add an effect to the mere act of demoting a soldier. It should provide a temporary adverse effect. Perhaps performance should decrease for a certain number of days/weeks depending on how much they were demoted. Say an acting sergeant demoted to a private may sulk for a few days. The Lord High Senior Generalissimo Supreme Laureate Commandant in Chief demoted to private would probably be in such low spirits that you'd have to wait a few months before the soldier cheers up and returns to peak performance. :D

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I do like the colour idea.

I don't see how a rank could gain to a soldier.

I just meant for easy recognition.

For example training up psi soldiers

once a soldier reaches psi strg 100 they become Elite

(what I've been doing is putting all my elite as it were in personal suits and getting all the people who need training up in flying suits to get some action. :Hyper:

I agree with NKF, as i usually do

Actually, more effective insignia and a visible insignia on troopers uniform would work for me, as i have no problem with small silver leaves on my soldier's helmets and chests to identify them

You as Commander earn points for successful missions and shootdowns. With these you can give out EXTRA ranks to the soldiers who deserve them, above and beyond what they get normally. The harder the difficulty setting, the fewer points you recieve, the fewer commondations you get to give out. Anything can be abused, but this would make it a little harder, and a little more special because it has to be earned.

I like the notion that there's a relation with rank to performance on general terms. Yet I also understand it could be open to abuse.

I also like what Garak said about the commander getting this priviledge through his shootdowns and successful missions, and agree as well that these total promotion caps be further delineated by difficulty level.

This being said though, I don't mind the game assigning ranks as it saw fit like before. After all, with the special priviledge of dishing some out yourself, you can grant them to those you thought deserved it more, despite the AI's questionable sensitivity on the matter.

Besides, it cuts micromanagement down considerably if the most you could give out per difficulty was somewhere between 5-20 (Hardest difficulty should have the least promotions by the player imo). Its just an arbitrary promotion thing, but just an example.