12 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow

Shadow

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:16 PM

Do you use motion trackers in your missions?

I used them only on the beginning. Later I only sent my soldiers out to search the aliens leaving the tracker at home. Is it worth to spend TUs on it?

I like packing up 4 or 5 Blasters and blow up the whole map, so why use motion trackers? (No good idea with terror attacks...)

Another question: How many bases do the aliens build on earth during the game?
I had about 16 when I played for 9 years. Do they ever build more? I mean when I would play 50 years, would they build, letīs say, 73 bases or more?

(If thereīs already a topic featuring motion trackers, please tell me and remove mine. I didnīt found one. Thx!)

:beer:

#2 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:35 PM

You played 9 years?!?!?!?!?!! OMFG! :o
Why did you play the same game so long?

I never use motion scanners. And every time I'm seeking for the last alien I curse myself for not taking them along <_<
There's no need for a sig..

#3 NKF

NKF

Commander

• [Global Moderators]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:46 PM

You'd curse yourself even if you brought it, as the alien is probably stuck in one spot and not moving. Can't pick up non-moving objects, and you can't get relative motion with the scanner in UFO like you can in Apocalypse.

I like using a scanner to scan the area around the Skyranger after waiting a turn. Nothing spots enemy threats around the LZ better than a motion scanner. Once located, a large rocket or a high explosive applied to the base of the ramp often does wonders. This often saves a life or two that would've normally been gunned down the moment they stepped off the ramp. It's odd, but I do this even in terror sites.

- NKF
Lord High Generalissimo Ruler Supreme of Norm's Anti Pedant Society (NAPS).

Number of members: 1

#4 Shadow

Shadow

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:54 PM

I played so long because I wanted to have more money, more elerium, more blasters, more soldiers with excellent psi-powers and because I donīt like the mars missions so much.
The game ends so fast... I take my time to build up as many bases as I can. I like the *normal* missions like UFO crashes and terror attacks.

No, thatīs wrong. I donīt like terror attacks. As long as theyīre not with Snakemen and Chryssies.

Once I had a crashed UFO mission I had to play 3 hours :crying: for searching the last damn Sectoid hiding in the upper left corner in a corn field. He had no weapons, seeming like I already had stunned him but he woke up and ran away...

Was my longest mission ever. I wish I had a motion tracker with me... ^_^

Does this game really have a time limit? I heard somewhere that timeīs up after 50 years? Huh, itīs a long time, though!

#5 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:33 PM

never used them. the alien that seems to have disappeared from the game never moves. except the time that i found him inside my Skyranger while i was gathering every item from the mission to abort.
still, never found a good use for them. complete waste IMO.

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#6 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:01 PM

I've tried using them every now and them but I quickly find they're just a burden to bring on missions and manage without them.

#7 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:11 PM

I swear by them. They are very effective for telling if there is a sneaky camping sectoid waiting in that farmhouse or not. They allow me to be much more tactical if I know where the bugs are (relatively) so I don't just go blundering around, like I do without the tracker and in tftd (I hate the tftd motion tracker graphic.)
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#8 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:19 PM

never used them. the alien that seems to have disappeared from the game never moves. except the time that i found him inside my Skyranger while i was gathering every item from the mission to abort.
still, never found a good use for them. complete waste IMO.

:LOL: I have never seen an alien coming inside the skyranger, they always stops at the ramp and never comes in.

Even if you aren't using motion scanners, aren't they useful for a business? I don't remember for sure what was the best make->sell business but IIRC the list was something like.

1. laser cannon
2. medi kits
3. motion scanners

#9 Cpl. Facehugger

Cpl. Facehugger

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 3,749 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:22 PM

Once, I had a chryssalid run up my ramp, directly into a skyranger full of weak rookies. Good bye reservists.
I'm only partially inactive. :P I can still be reached at cpl.facehugger@gmail.com, and via PM. Preferably the former.

*Coming back? Avast! Facehugger, finish your assignments!*

Posted Image

#10 Jenny

Jenny

Artwork Department

• Xenocide Artwork Department
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 03:56 AM

I never use the motion scanner.. not because I think it's useless, but because I forget to..
Posted Image

#11 Shadow

Shadow

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 05:33 AM

@Nyyperoid:

Seems to work! Produce tons of them for low and sell them for even higher prices!
Earning millions without cheating...
Nice idea, I just tried that before with laser guns but motion scanners are faster produced!

About the Chryssalid:
They are mean! Only when youīre not equipped enough or when they appear early in the game.
When I first saw a Chryssalid I thought "Hey, whatīs this? Letīs kill it!"
I only had rifles and pistols...
I lost...
Later a Chryssalid did hide in a large building turning all those poor civies into zombies. Too bad he was upstairs in the 3rd floor and the stairs were destroyed.
So I burned down the whole building with my heavy cannon with incendiary ammo.
Barbecue time! :beer:

I love this game! Ten years old and still so much fun playing it again and again! :D

Edited by Shadow, 15 January 2004 - 05:36 AM.

#12 SupSuper

SupSuper

Programming Department

• Xenocide Programming Department
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:25 AM

Once, I had a chryssalid run up my ramp, directly into a skyranger full of weak rookies. Good bye reservists.

imagine if the chrysallids knew how to pilot Skyrangers. you would have a real unpleasant visit at your x-com base :P

- SKYRANGER-1 has finished taking care of the terror site, and is now heading back to base.
- Roger, SKYRANGER-1. Access lift and hangars are open for your arrival.
*Later*
This is Sergeant *bzzzz*. We need help. They *bzzzz* all over us, and we have *bzzzz*ea how they got here. Most *bzzzz* personnel has gone missing, *bzzzz*illed or zombified. We need urgent assist*bzzzz*. Please help us! *click* Who's there? *bzzzz* you, Commander Tommy. I thought you *bzzzz*en zombified. Wait, sir. What are you... no, NO! STOP! ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!*bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*
Last communication from X-Com Base 1, now named as Alien Colony 18529.

i really should write an x-com story :P

too bad, now you will never know the ancient secrets of supsupers long gone avatar ;)

Posted Image

#13 Puasonen

Puasonen

Creative Text Department

• Xenocide Inactive
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:04 AM

I love this game! Ten years old and still so much fun playing it again and again! :D

Yeah, it really is. Every now and then I dig up either ufo defense, tftd or apocalypse and play it through. I just love these games!