XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Can't Recover Live Aliens

As I wrote about in this post, I've run into a bug (?) whereby successfully captured aliens aren't available for research.

NKF said in a reply to that post to post a savegame here. The save I've posted is from the end of the assault on a Muton Base, right after I've killed the last Muton. The mission will end if you click the "end turn" button.

Appreciate any help, as I've yet to reseacrh alien commander, which I need to to finish the game.

GAME_10.zip

Edited by Hayashi

As I wrote about in this post, I've run into a bug (?) whereby successfully captured aliens aren't available for research.

NKF said in a reply to that post to post a savegame here. The save I've posted is from the end of the assault on a Muton Base, right after I've killed the last Muton. The mission will end if you click the "end turn" button.

Appreciate any help, as I've yet to reseacrh alien commander, which I need to to finish the game.

Happened one time to me too.

Used the stun rod to stun a snakeman, killed all the others ( with lasers ), report at the end of the fight showed no captured alien. But it happened only once, in the next mission i captured 4 aliens. So do not be troubled, next mission will work ^^.

I you need acommander, be careful in base defense fights, there is a commander too. Often it is that guy with the blaster launcher, so if you have the mind probes not researched, look out for the blaster launcher :)

Best wishes

Redbull

The mind probe is stupid. It costs 50% TUs and you have to turn to face the general direction of your assailant, which means in most cases you won't be able to probe more than once per turn.

The psi-amp, on the other hand, costs 25 TUs flat and requires no turning. A reliable psi trooper with 75 or more TUs can MC 3 aliens and perminently access their stats, along with other things. =b

Edited by Dover

Apples and oranges Dover. Apples and oranges. The mind probe is slow, but it's not necessarily beneath the psi amp in usefulness. The mind probe can be used by anyone after you've had it researched. The psi amp breaks the game in the hands of a good psi soldier. The real difference is that the probe just reads the alien's stats, and is always successful. While the two psi amp attacks work differently and the success is based off the users skill. The panic attack does its magic at the end of the turn, and the mind control attack replenishes the unit's TUs and temporarily hands the unit over to you (not much of a deal with small units, but certainly one with large units). The mind probe just leaves the stats as is, and in turn can be invaluable for deciding whether or not to approach the alien (for melee or for short automatic bursts). Myself, I let my reserve troops use them (you know, the one or two soldiers that stay in the Skyranger who lift off once the whole squad gets mindlessly massacred, and sometimes operate the blaster launcher). They don't usually do much, so it's a great way to pass the time.

Hayashi:

My first thought was that you have too many alien containment units. I don't think that has much of a bearing on it, but I ran a test and dismantled them all but the the one at the polar research base.

I completed research on the snakeman leader and sent the Skyranger to your research base.

I then hit that floater base, wiped out all the units but the commander (all this done through file editing trickery by giving all the aliens but the commander 100 critical wounds and stunning the heck out them all just to save time). Back at the research base, the floater commander was available for research.

So, in your case, try completing research on the snakeman leader, then raid the floater base for a commander. You've got psi amps, so you don't have to destroy the base. Just find the commander, march it back to the exits, stun it, then dust off.

If you don't get the commander, reload and dismantle your excess alien containment units and launch your assault from the research base directly (via anything but the Lightning. It just narrowly misses the floater base by a few pixels before hitting its fuel bingo point)

- NKF

Update:

Success! I raided a Floater base, captured the commander, and it's available on the transfer screen! biggrin.gif

What I did was to dismantle all but three of my alien containments - one at each of my strike bases. That appears to have done the trick!

Now to wait for the new containment to be ready at my research base... Wink.gif

• 2 years later...

PSI makes people so lazy!

I have come about 24 months (game time), and only in the last 6 hours (real time) have I been accessing my PSI soldiers.

But before I brought my A-team back in time, we had no 'PSI amps', but I could still do a solo mission on an alien base with 4 hwps [laser tank inc] and my commander. March right into the control tower, tranq. the commander sling 'im o'er my shoulder and get the if-you-see-Kay out.

I'd do it again, but I'm kicking so much donkey, they can't establish a base!