XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com 1 & 2 - Total Pack

== Latest version: V1.06 ==

Hi, I'm starwindz.

I recently developed X-COM 1 & 2 - Total Pack is to provide the all in one package

for everyone to run X-COM 1 & 2 very easily.

DOSBox configuration is somewhat complicated for many people and

the original version has some bugs to be fixed.

I have developed total pack for these two reasons.

General Features

1) The integrated shell for starting of X-COM 1 & 2

- Intergrated Game launcher

- Very easy DOSBox interface(scaler, CPU cycles, frame skip)

- The latest version of DOSBox (0.70) included

2) DOSBox recorded video file mangement

- Automatic DOSBox video codec(ZMBV) installation

- Browse, View, Delete, Rename

3) Creation of Slide shows(Albums)

- Stand-alone album(*.exe) generation using screenshot files

4) Misc

- Manual/review/etc included

- No need of other program for running

- Automatic installation (No option/choice needed)

- Optimizated program for Microsoft Windows XP Series

- Free and copyleft program

Please refer to following web site and download the total pack.

<DOWNLOAD LINK REMOVED>

Edited by starwindz777

• 1 month later...
This is a wonderful pack, it includes a manager for recorded videos and screenshots, but trying to run it on "best" makes the game lag Edited by Mustang

I think the name thing is a part of Xcomutil. It's apparent the game was edited using it.

Why you would use XComutil and not enable improved base is beyond me

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

X-COM 1, 2 - Total Pack : re-released.

============== TOTAL PACK INTRODUCTION ==================

I have recently developed X-COM 1 & 2 - Total Pack is to provide the all in one package

for everyone to run X-COM 1 & 2 very easily.

DOSBox configuration is somewhat complicated for many people and

the original version has some bugs to be fixed.

I have developed total pack for these two reasons.

General Features

1) The integrated shell for starting of X-COM 1 & 2

- Intergrated Game launcher

- Very easy DOSBox interface(scaler, CPU cycles, frame skip)

- The latest version of DOSBox (0.70) included

2) DOSBox recorded video file mangement

- Automatic DOSBox video codec(ZMBV) installation

- Browse, View, Delete, Rename

3) Creation of Slide shows(Albums)

- Stand-alone album(*.exe) generation using screenshot files

4) Misc

- Manual/review/etc included

- No need of other program for running

- Automatic installation (No option/choice needed)

- Optimizated program for Microsoft Windows XP Series

- Free and copyleft program

Edited by starwindz777

I knew I remembered seeing this mentioned elsewhere. Topics merged. ^_^

- Zombie

Whoa, this looks interesting. I'm glad you bumped this topic Zombie. :)

It was only out of necessity. :)

Dial-up users: beware. The download is 25MB in size. I wish there would be a way to create a front end and allow the user to install the other programs (such as DosBox) separately. That would cut down on the file size and allow other sites to host it. ;)

- Zombie

Would it be possible to enable the maximize button in the upper right? The window is too small for all the options; everything below "See all DosBox Hotkeys" is truncated. I suspect this has something to do with the screen fonts and/or my screen dpi settings on my computer being set to large.

• 4 weeks later...
Would it be possible to enable the maximize button in the upper right? The window is too small for all the options; everything below "See all DosBox Hotkeys" is truncated. I suspect this has something to do with the screen fonts and/or my screen dpi settings on my computer being set to large.

Do you have wide-screen display?

Please let me know your the screen resolution.

• 4 weeks later...

starwindz777 you got any advice for me please?

I've downloaded and installed your X-COM 1 & 2 - Total Pack, I click on the desktop icon and get the error message: File Access Denied (on Two separate screens) I don't know where I've gone wrong but I'm desperate to play this game. I've looked at the properties of the file to see if any of them are "read only" and there's a blue icon where a tick should be (or not be in my case)? there seems to be Three things I can do here: leave it Blue, White or tick it. Then press apply and no matter what I save it with it always ends up Blue? I thought it could only be White or ticked? (Although I really don't think that this is the main problem here).

With downloading this Total Pack, should it literally be a case of: install the downloaded file and then click on the desktop icon to play? or do I still have to install DosBox and do some editing?

Any help here people?

Please.

Edited by fogwar

I've downloaded and installed your X-COM 1 & 2 - Total Pack, I click on the desktop icon and get the error message: File Access Denied (on Two separate screens) I don't know where I've gone wrong but I'm desperate to play this game. I've looked at the properties of the file to see if any of them are "read only" and there's a blue icon where a tick should be (or not be in my case)? there seems to be Three things I can do here: leave it Blue, White or tick it. Then press apply and no matter what I save it with it always ends up Blue? I thought it could only be White or ticked? (Although I really don't think that this is the main problem here).

With downloading this Total Pack, should it literally be a case of: install the downloaded file and then click on the desktop icon to play? or do I still have to install DosBox and do some editing?

Any help here people?

Please.

Are you using Windows Vista?

Current version has some problem on Vista. I will fix it soon.

SOLVED! (I think!)

I managed to replicate your problem. It appears to be because you have your DPI setting under Display Properties-Settings-Advanced-DPI set to 120 instead of 96...

Here's some shots of what I mean:

What your settings might be at the moment:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/nvjava/vidset1.jpg

Change back to 96 DPI:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/nvjava/vidset2.jpg

Do you want to check these settings and see if it helps?

:)

Any help here people?

Please.

Ah I see, yeah I'm using Vista (should've seen this coming really :rolleyes:)

Please keep me updated if you get it running compatible with Vista.

Thanks for the reply bud :)

Any help here people?

Please.

Ah I see, yeah I'm using Vista (should've seen this coming really :rolleyes:)

Please keep me updated if you get it running compatible with Vista.

Thanks for the reply bud :)

Total pack has the latest version of DOSBox (0.72).

You don't have to download, install and configure DOSBox everytime you play X-COM.

X-COM-Total Pack V1.03 released.

- [uI/Add] 12 languages are supported for launcher interface.

(Arabic, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak and Spanish are supported for launcher interface.)

- [General/Fix] Windows Vista problems fixed.

Download

Edited by starwindz777

(Arabic, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak and Spanish are supported for launcher interface.)

Download

Hi starwindz777 and thanks for the swift reply,

I've installed the V1.03 and I run into the same problem "file access denied". Although it happens differently to the last version and only One "file access denied" screen instead of Two this time? The Total Pack screen comes up, press play and file access denied? The last time it was Two instant error messages before the Total Pack screen?

Am I doing something wrong? should I uninstall both programs and try again? It all seems simple and straight forward enough I just don't see where I'm going wrong :( ?

I'm running Vista 32-Bit Home Premium if that's any help?

Thanks.

Download

Hi starwindz777 and thanks for the swift reply,

I've installed the V1.03 and I run into the same problem "file access denied". Although it happens differently to the last version and only One "file access denied" screen instead of Two this time? The Total Pack screen comes up, press play and file access denied? The last time it was Two instant error messages before the Total Pack screen?

Am I doing something wrong? should I uninstall both programs and try again? It all seems simple and straight forward enough I just don't see where I'm going wrong :( ?

I'm running Vista 32-Bit Home Premium if that's any help?

Thanks.

Sorry, fogwar... I have to figure out that problem.

Have you ever downloaded, installed and run another total pack such as Prince of Persia 1?

fogwar, please do the following steps.

1. Remove the total pack folder such as "C:\Program Files\X-COM-Total Pack".

2. Download and install V1.01.

3. Download and install V1.03 update.

4. Download and extract launcher_p.zip to launcher folder such as "C:\Program Files\X-COM-Total Pack\launcher".

5. Test it.

Ok So I've done steps 1 - 3. I tried to extract the p.zip folder in C:\Program Files\X-COM-Total Pack\launcher folder and a message came up "a folder already exists with that name (launcher_p), do you want to replace it" I clicked yes and I got access denied? So I renamed the original folder - launcher_p1 and tried to extract it again and got access denied?

I don't know bud?

Sorry to be such a pain but at least once you've solved this one no-one else should be bothering you about it (for Vista anyway :) ).

Dan..Dan..Daaaaahh!!!

I'm one happy camper! :D

I reinstalled V1.01 into the new folder "C:\Games\XCOM"

& Hey Presto - clicked play and it worked first time!..............WooHoo!

Maybe for some reason the directory it chooses for you isn't compatible in some way? I don't know, but all I do know is that it worked first time in your new suggested folder. Maybe this'll help others in the future.

Thanks for putting up with me starwindz777, I really really do appreciate all you've done for me :D.

Cheers Bud =b .

Or if you do not know what version of the game that you have, you can download the patch for XCOM:Enemy Unknown (UFO Defense) from Gamespot still. That patch negates having a CD to play the game that had copy protection on it with the ms-dos CD version of the game.

Also "Terror from the Deep" can be looked up also, and XCOM:Apocalypse had no patch. I am not sure about any patch for "Terror from the Deep"

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/xcomuf...ense/index.html

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/xcomap...ypse/index.html

*link removed*

http://www.mobygames.com/search/quick?quic...M%3A+Apocalypse

Both versions (ms-dos or Windows) for XCOM:Apocalyse actually the same version. It runs in ms-dos better though, I guess, well, probably. (Well, hiccups a little with accessing the CD for only getting a "Standard" install through DosBox for XCOM:Apocalypse although through Windows I have 1 gB hard disk space but DosBox always shows 110mB for any logical drive -- like a Drive I made with Partition Magic for a FAT16 (which is ms-dos or Windows 95) original format for harddisk drives. Nowadays it 32 bit or whatever (64 bit ?) and harddisk drives are packing more data in a smaller area than before, thus the error probably in DosBox.

And of course XCOM:UFO Defense (which if you can and you probably can find the ms-dos version instead of the Windows version and use DosBox0.72 to play the game.)

*link removed* (Windows Collector's Edition - runs too fast and DirectDraw - actually Direct 3D must be turned off in Direct X program which should be Desktopped anyway -- dxdiag.exe found in somewhere in the Windows folder when Direct X is installed via a game or via the OS.)

So the patch for XCOM:UFO Defense if not included is at Gamespot, and usually I suppose probably it is with that download.

Should find the music for XCOM:Apocalypse though because it is neat and after awhile it may drive you crazy if you can put up with it. But for awhile, the music is awesome for the game.

Edit by Zombie: Removed links where to download the games. The license is still held and the copyrights renewed which means any game in the X-COM series is not abandonware.

Edited by Zombie

Wow its good project the menu works well, having some sort of problem with enemy unknown that I don't understand. The game runs well enough doesnt crash with dosbox but it frequently puts the wrong textures in the map. Often end up with houses from terror levels in a farm level and parts of a skyranger or ufo part in random parts of the map.

In that case I'd suggest reinstalling the TERRAIN folder to see if that helps. If not, try reinstalling the MAPS and ROUTES folders as well. Otherwise it is a screwed up executable. :wink1:

- Zombie

In that case I'd suggest reinstalling the TERRAIN folder to see if that helps. If not, try reinstalling the MAPS and ROUTES folders as well. Otherwise it is a screwed up executable. :wink1:

- Zombie

yep you were right! Reinstalling the 3 folders made it work as it should. My first install with xcomutil I installed the new terrain do you think it was related to that? I reinstalled xcomutil after without it hoping that might fix it, then i got stuck. Happy days :D

My first install with xcomutil I installed the new terrain do you think it was related to that? I reinstalled xcomutil after without it hoping that might fix it, then i got stuck. Happy days :D

I have heard people complain about screwed up maps while using XcomUtil before. Not sure what is causing the trouble with the map designs Scott is using though - one of these days I should look into it closer. ^_^

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

There is nothing wrong with your total pack starwindz777, it's a problem with XcomUtil (a game editor). :wink1:

For what it's worth, I did a little research into the problem last night and it might be able to be fixed. I need to install XcomUtil and run some tests. :P

- Zombie

Yeah starwindz777 its just a matter of opening terrain, route and maps and restoring the files in the backup folder of each which xcomutil makes automatically after running its install for people who encounter this problem I'd tried a few xcom versions and consistently got this problem.

Thank you Zombie for having a look into it, its a bit strange!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any chance of releasing a version that is unmodded by xcomutil? I'm something of a purist. The only mod I really care for under ordinary circumstances is a minor upgrade to the gauss guns in Terror from the Deep. Having interceptors take a crew of 6 makes me stomach turn.

Sorry for being late. Actually it is a matter of XCOMUTIL.

You can run XcuSetup.bat for modify various XCOMUTIL options in order to change to ORIGINAL version.)

(This batch file is in C:\Program Files\XCOM-Total Pack\run\xcom_1)

Edited by starwindz777

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9841/sagssmstarzqk0.jpg

If you have some texture problem, please modify XCOMUTIL setting as follows.

1. Run C:\Program Files\XCOM-Total Pack\run\xcom_1\XcuSetup.bat

2. If you have a message, Do you want use the new Farm and Desert terrains?, enter N.

* Related information from xcomutil.txt.

Do you want use the new Farm and Desert terrains? (Y)

This option removes the house and barn from the farm terrain and replaces

them with a house and small park from the urban terror site and some

nearly empty map tiles from the forest terrain. It also replaces one of

the empty map tiles in the desert terrain with a pyramid from the Mars

terrain. This change is permanent until you answer No to this question.

It effects these terrains even when not using XcomUtil. This question is

asked only for XCOM, not TFTD, only if you have Java installed, and only

if another map pack has not suppressed it by creating the mapaddon.xcf

flag file. Since this option does no harm, the default is Yes.

Edited by starwindz777