max

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So... Does this fix works or not??

Btw, the garbled graphics is a problem with video vertical synch, you might want to use a loader (like ldr_xcom1.exe), it worked for me...

Haven't tried the patch though...

*Edit*

HEre's a good troubleshooting thread:

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=366

Enjoy! :wave:

Edited by Paladin

Go to the directory its in and set every EXE and BAT file to win95 compatibility mode (compatibility tab). You have to do it one by one, cant select em all and set it (only sets the first one)... This fixed most of the crashes i was having (except for a random crash that happens anywhere from 30 min in to never)

• 3 weeks later...

Image gets too big vertically, it gets out below. Either with or without f0dder's loader.

Um, wait, I'm not sure if I got Gold instead Collector's edition. Does this solve the floater medic research bug in the collector's? (Oh, then I have Golds, well, I got gold from spanish site, then collectors because bad spanish, then back to gold with collector's lang files, so I'm running Gold. So if it solves floater I'll back to collectors. What a mess!)

Thanks

I have xcom1fix.exe, and this fix/patch that you have posted.. I run it through the xcom1fix.exe, just FYI.

I seem to be having a problem with proximity grenades. I can't completely confirm this but it seems everytime I throw a proximity grenade, they explode like regular grenades. (or perhaps smoke grenades?).. IE - They are not proximity! They just explode as if I had selected Fuse-0. I have not been fortunate enough to throw one on top of an alien or teammate so I cannot tell you if they are exploding or if they are simply a "smoke" version.. Either way, they are somehow bugged due to this program, as I had no problems with them previously.

Anybody else having this happen?

PS: Everything else works like a charm.

Yikes, bad bug with the prox grenades. You know, I was thinking I happened to be throwing them in the path of aliens an awful lot... :LOL:

Also, is it possible to add one more feature to ET? The way the game handles clips has always bugged me; while a clip with 1 shot left shouldn't show up again as a full clip like in the unpatched versions neither should a 34-shot Heavy Plasma clip vanish in to nothingness because one shot has been used.

So, is it possible to have the game determine what clips you get by adding up the shots remaining for each clip type, and dividing by the number of shots in a clip? (Rounding down, I guess; that doesn't really matter so much.) This would probably be pretty complicated, but it would be nice to not have the aliens waste a whole plasma clip you could have had by firing a single shot. :)

Yikes, bad bug with the prox grenades. You know, I was thinking I happened to be throwing them in the path of aliens an awful lot... :LOL:

Also, is it possible to add one more feature to ET? The way the game handles clips has always bugged me; while a clip with 1 shot left shouldn't show up again as a full clip like in the unpatched versions neither should a 34-shot Heavy Plasma clip vanish in to nothingness because one shot has been used.

So, is it possible to have the game determine what clips you get by adding up the shots remaining for each clip type, and dividing by the number of shots in a clip? (Rounding down, I guess; that doesn't really matter so much.) This would probably be pretty complicated, but it would be nice to not have the aliens waste a whole plasma clip you could have had by firing a single shot. :)

i believe the problem with changing the data that the game stores/saves (if that's possible) is that it could make regular x-com savegames not compatible with ET, and vice-versa. and we wouldn't want that, would we? ;)

I'm not sure this would be a problem for compatibility. The only change would occur in the end-of-battle calculation when determining what clips to award. I would imagine it goes through item-by-item looking for exhausted clips to delete while throwing the others in to the base inventory, which is quite different from the procedure that would be needed to add up partially-used clips and calculate how many full ones can be made out of them. So, as I said, it could be quite complicated to implement a change in this system.

However, since the only change would need to be in this calculation, not in how it stores clip location and status in the battlescape or in how it stores clip supplies in the geoscape, I doubt it would effect save compatibility.

About the proximity problem, will give it a look and correct it, you can use alien grenades primed to ~23? as proximity grenades meanwhile.

About Mok's work, okay when I get back into it I'll rip his work and stick it in the ET version (thanks in advance to 'Mok')

Kloreep, this can be done. Next time im working on it I'll add these features in.

About the proximity problem, will give it a look and correct it, you can use alien grenades primed to ~23? as proximity grenades meanwhile.

About Mok's work, okay when I get back into it I'll rip his work and stick it in the ET version (thanks in advance to 'Mok')

Kloreep, this can be done. Next time im working on it I'll add these features in.

Yeah, I eventually got Alien grenades and started using them with ~23 instead, but for the first 10-15 missions of the game I was stuck with smoke grenades instead of proximity.. Fortunately my base wasn't raided.

Thanks for looking into it.

Been a while since I played xcom. Tried your patch, now what happens is that the screen is divided horizontally, with the game squashed in the top of the screen and garbled desktop at the bottom :crying:

Been a while since I played xcom. Tried your patch, now what happens is that the screen is divided horizontally, with the game squashed in the top of the screen and garbled desktop at the bottom :crying:

Forgot to say am using a 6800GT and Athlon 64 with XP SP2 latest drivers etc etc

Forgot to say am using a 6800GT and Athlon 64 with XP SP2 latest drivers etc etc

My apologies to everyone. Disabling direct draw accel worked. Just like it says in the FAQ :Blush: :Blush: :Blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Bugs, Mr. Rico, millions of them !

My ufo graphs go from 0 to 900,000,000 or so. To say the least, I can't tell where the aliens are landing now, the graph line is almost flat.

This started right after a mission where a sectoid threw a grenade at me and the game crashed to desktop.

Guest Guest_Tim_*

Hey Max...Can I just say that the work you're doing here is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! You are truely talented and we are very lucky that you are willing to put in this time and effort to make one of our favourite games even better...

Every post you make just blows me away...Some of these problems must be a pain in the donkey to find and fix...And yet you simply come back with "Problem fixed...Try the latest update."

You're awesome man. Keep up the great work. :)

I'm getting a weird score at the end of January. I'm posting it to see if you can find the problem UFO Defense is having, though hopefully it won't have too much effect on my game or any others like it; despite the bad monthly rating, the funding countries are all still happy.

Note that this save has had its soldiers edited; it could be my editor (ClarkWehr) messed something up rather than the program.

post-1730-1098433150_thumb.jpg

xcomufo.weirdscore.zip

I'm getting a weird score at the end of January. I'm posting it to see if you can find the problem UFO Defense is having, though hopefully it won't have too much effect on my game or any others like it; despite the bad monthly rating, the funding countries are all still happy.

Note that this save has had its soldiers edited; it could be my editor (ClarkWehr) messed something up rather than the program.

maybe your score went so high that it went over the limit and thus became negative? (though in just 1 month, that's EXTREMELY impossible) :P unless max messed with the integer size. Edited by SupSuper