XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Xenium-122

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently working on the revision of the element 115 entry. I've been reading the posts, and to make it easy on me I'm going to use Xenium 122 as the name for now. I am working hard on the entry... but I've been homeless for a number of months now and ,as such, I must use friends' computers to do any work. Give me another week to get it completely sorted out (I'm also having to rewrite the lightning and powersource entry as all of the technobabble in those are based on info from the previous elerium entry.) When I do post the new Xenium entry, I think the word needs to be spread that ctd entries may need to be updated to the new Xenium energy/anti-grav concept.

And just for all you folks who actually miss my rare posts, just know that I check up on this stuff every couple of days at the least.

P.S. Who's the current CTD meister. I've noticed that GreatGold hasn't really responded to any of my PMs. Who do I need to speak to to get started on a new entry?

A couple of points I would like to make...

I know I'm new here and all...

but I think that the scientific explanations should be a little more scientific... to leave it so that people don't understand it so easily but it still sounds reasonable... also this will leave some of the mystery there...

the idea with the scientist, quote and his name as a part of the name for the actually stuff, is great...

I think it's a bit too long, since if everything is going to be this long, people are going to stop reading it at one stage...

And the thing with the gravity A thing, has no root in curent science...

No offence to anyone meant, it's my oppinion and I think you are all doing a great job...

Thankyou. We have thought of a workaround for the "its too damn long" problem. We include an effectiveness/usefulness blurb at the top, for people who don't like to read. Then next paragraph we actually explain how it works, its history, etc.

Thanks for using my elerium name! ;)

And Bruenor is currently the CTDMeister, until GG comes back.

P.S. Who's the current CTD meister. I've noticed that GreatGold hasn't really responded to any of my PMs. Who do I need to speak to to get started on a new entry?

I believe that Bruenor has taken over temporarily.

-The Captain

edit whoops...that what I get for not reading Cpl's whole post.

Edited by Cpt. Boxershorts

A couple of points I would like to make...

I know I'm new here and all...

but I think that the scientific explanations should be a little more scientific... to leave it so that people don't understand it so easily but it still sounds reasonable... also this will leave some of the mystery there...

the idea with the scientist, quote and his name as a part of the name for the actually stuff, is great...

I think it's a bit too long, since if everything is going to be this long, people are going to stop reading it at one stage...

And the thing with the gravity A thing, has no root in curent science...

No offence to anyone meant, it's my oppinion and I think you are all doing a great job...

We've been trying to make the entries more scientific. compared to the original x-com's entries, ours our extremley scientific. You make it sound as if it were an objective to make the ctds hard understand. It is defintatly not our primary objective and I don't think it is an objective of anyone posting on these forums. The increased complexity is a trad-off for a more in-depth plotline and more in-depth research reports.

Also, none of the other ctds are as long as this one for your reference.

In addition, we already trashed the gravity A wave thing, so your comment on it is a little bit out of the blue. I believe it also re-iterated Cartesians point.

" I think it's a bit too long, since if everything is going to be this long, people are going to stop reading it at one stage..."

"Also, none of the other ctds are as long as this one for your reference."

If I might make a quick rebuttal. Though the new entry will lose about a paragraph and an half in length, I hardly believe that the original entry was too long. Please keep in mind that some elements of the entry were added due to feedback from other posts. Also, Ancalagon, I would respectfully disagree that this is the longest entry. Just a quick look at the Interceptor entry will prove my point.

In my defense, when I first started working on this project, the entries that I sent to GreatGold were much shorter in length. Through his, and other's input they have gained length over time. I am more than happy to write a shorter 'breifing' version for inclusion in the blurb section of the X-net entry.

As mentioned previously, each entry will start off with the short & sweet info at the top, preferably entries with stats like weapon damage will show all that info without the user needing to scroll any. The rest of the entry is there for the user to enjoy if they so choose. For v1+ we had talked about including additional snippets in the end-of-month report, little news headings telling you something new or how it's being applied outside the game mechanics. "Alien razor blades never dull! Our soldiers now get a clean, close shave all the time." Maybe not that silly, but along those lines.

I am currently coordinating the CTD. Any questions or requests can come through me.

" I think it's a bit too long, since if everything is going to be this long, people are going to stop reading it at one stage..."

"Also, none of the other ctds are as long as this one for your reference."

If I might make a quick rebuttal. Though the new entry will lose about a paragraph and an half in length, I hardly believe that the original entry was too long. Please keep in mind that some elements of the entry were added due to feedback from other posts. Also, Ancalagon, I would respectfully disagree that this is the longest entry. Just a quick look at the Interceptor entry will prove my point.

Oops, sorry, guess I was wrong about that :Blush: .

Edited by Ancalagon

Alright all, thanks for waiting. Here's the new Xenium 122 entry. Please feel free to add comments and suggestions (Especially you, Cartesian). :)

Xenium 122

What powers the alien technology we’ve seen, and how does that power source relate to the apparent ability of alien craft to generate anti-gravity fields? This question has often plagued the scientists here in the research department. After the study of captured UFO materials, we are finally able to answer that question even if complete understanding remains elusive.

Research into the UFO power supply has revealed a synthetic compound unlike anything ever before seen on Earth. Given the name Xenium 122, (as it was our 122nd experiment which rendered understanding of the compound’s basic functions), this compound both supplies power and allows the creation of anti-gravity waves so essential to the alien propulsion systems.

Xenium is best described as a fold in space-time. When folded in this manner, space-time becomes solid, and able to be seen and touched. Xenium is a resource that deteriorates with use. Once the Xenium is completely used up the fold in space-time “falls flat”, reverting space-time to its normal state. Despite constant research, we are unable to grasp even the basic concepts on how one would synthesize this substance. Unfortunately this places the control of Xenium firmly in the aliens’ hands for now. This monopoly must be broken if we are to win this war.

In its most basic, unrefined state Xenium 122 seems to clump together in a crystalline structure, similar to quartz crystals. These crystals emanate a strange orange glow, an iridescence that is completely unexplainable, and might be a result of the creation process used by the extraterrestrials.

When Xenium 122 is placed in a rotating magnetic field, it creates a field unlike anything humanity has seen. This field exhibits many properties, but its foremost ability seems to be that it warps gravity. The rotating magnetic field acts as a “control field” manipulating the Xenium’s field like a steering wheel. Using this set of fields, one can warp space and travel in the non-linear fashion required for practical space travel. While creating solely Xenium 122 based drive systems is unlikely at this time, the Xenocide science department heavily suggests research into the creation of system to manipulate this property of Xenium.

Another powerful property of Xenium 122 is its ability to give off a charge. This charge gathers at the magnetic poles of the field and can be drawn off to create a constant supply of electricity. After the initial power needed to create the control field, the charge given off by Xenium is sufficient to keep the control field in place, as well as power other systems.

Unfortunately waste particles, radioactive and otherwise, are given off during this process. Neutrinos, in particular, seem to be given off at an exponential rate. These particles must be caught, or vented, creating a dilemma when considering its use as a power source. With the proper system, Xenium creates a large power output, which is then used to power ship systems with the excess being stored in a battery. Waste particles are then captured in a containment system or vented into the air. It should be noted that the charge produced in this manner is tremendous, and we are unable as yet to create a battery that successfully stores the all the power output of Xenium. This proves to be more and more important, as Xenium itself is used up during the aforementioned processes. The use of Xenium must therefore be carefully monitored lest we completely use up this precious material on trivial matters.

One other property of Xenium 122 was discovered while researching particle bombardment testing. Certain catalysts used for bombardment destabilized the Xenium samples. This mixture of Xenium and catalyst particles would lead to the creation of energized plasma and may be the basis for the plasma weapons seen wielded by aliens in the field. Further research into this area of Xenium 122 usage is recommended.

minor modifications to terminology and grammar to what is a very nice piece of work:

para2: a synthetic *material* unlike

para3: When folded in this manner, space-time becomes *apprantly* solid; able to be seen and touched.

*As the Xenium is utlised it shrinks.* Once the Xenium is completely used up the fold in space-time “falls flat”, reverting space-time to its normal state *without leaving any physical trace of the Xenium, short of the effects it has had*.

para5: but its foremost ability seems to be that it warps* and can even nullify* gravity.

Using *a* set of *such* fields,

para6: supply of electricity.** The charge given off by Xenium is sufficient to keep the control field in place as well as power other systems.

As for the bit about particles being emitted:

we have no chance of catching neutrinos, so dont worry about them. they tie up with detection by the "radar"->"detector" anyway.

as for the beta particles, they are the electricity you have previosuly mentioned. we catch those with a conductor, like a wire...blah blah

protons/neutrons: neutron decays into beta+alpha+neutrino. So i guess we should have protons coming off this. protons are useful things and are easily absorbed (by paper etc).

In addtion to the beta radiation, other nuclear particles are given off during this process. Protons are also present but neutrinos in particular are emitted at a large intensity. Very little electromagnetic radiation is produced apart from in the visible (orange is...~600nm) and antiparticles are essentially not present.

With the proper system, Xenium creates a large power output, which is then used to power ship systems with the excess being stored in a battery. Protons are captured in a containment system. It should be noted that the charge produced in this manner is tremendous, and we are unable as yet to create a battery that successfully stores the maximum power output of Xenium we have been able to produce. This proves to be more and more important, as Xenium itself is used up during the aforementioned processes. The use of Xenium must therefore be carefully monitored lest we completely use up this precious material on trivial matters.

ive thought of how to get this plasma from elerium without particlle bombardment which is a little distasteful IMO. the elerium can respond to a resonant frequency of the magnetic fields which causes it to quickly destablise releasing silly amounts of energy in sufficient quantity and rate to turn normal matter into plasma very quickly.

sound good?

I've incoporated most of your changes in the following version, however I stand fast on the use of particle bombardment to create plasma, as that was the basis for the plasms tech put forward by the higher-ups.

Very little electromagnetic radiation is produced apart from in the visible (orange is...~600nm) and antiparticles are essentially not present.

I didn't use this sentence as it seemed to pretty irrelevant to propeties we are interested in. Also, I did not go into detail about which particles can and cannot be captured, as in the end I feel that the sentence "Waste particles are then captured in a containment system or vented into the air" pretty much covers what one needs to know.

Alright, unless I see further interest in expanding the entry, I think that the call should be put out for all technology based on Xenium 122 based on the following entry.

Xenium 122

What powers the alien technology we’ve seen, and how does that power source relate to the apparent ability of alien craft to generate anti-gravity fields? This question has often plagued the scientists here in the research department. After the study of captured UFO materials, we are finally able to answer that question even if complete understanding remains elusive.

Research into the UFO power supply has revealed a synthetic material unlike anything ever before seen on Earth. Given the name Xenium 122, (as it was our 122nd experiment which rendered understanding of the compound’s basic functions), this compound both supplies power and allows the creation of anti-gravity waves so essential to the alien propulsion systems.

Xenium is best described as a fold in space-time. When folded in this manner, space-time apparently becomes solid allowing it to be seen and touched. As the Xenium is utilized it shrinks. Once the Xenium is completely used up the fold in space-time “falls flat”, reverting space-time to its normal state and leaving no trace of Xenium’s existence behind. Despite constant research, we are unable to grasp even the basic concepts on how one would synthesize this substance. Unfortunately this places the control of Xenium firmly in the aliens’ hands for now. This monopoly must be broken if we are to win this war.

In its most basic, unrefined state Xenium 122 seems to clump together in a crystalline structure, similar to quartz crystals. These crystals emanate a strange orange glow, an iridescence that is completely unexplainable, and might be a result of the creation process used by the extraterrestrials.

When Xenium 122 is placed in a rotating magnetic field, it creates a field unlike anything humanity has seen. This field exhibits many properties, but its foremost ability seems to be that it can warp, and even nullify gravity. The rotating magnetic field acts as a “control field” manipulating the Xenium’s field like a steering wheel. Using a set of such fields, one can warp space and travel in the non-linear fashion required for practical space travel. While creating solely Xenium 122 based drive systems is unlikely at this time, the Xenocide science department heavily suggests research into the creation of system to manipulate this property of Xenium.

Another powerful property of Xenium 122 is its ability to give off a charge. This charge gathers at the magnetic poles of the field and can be drawn off to create a constant supply of electricity. The charge given off by Xenium is sufficient to keep the control field in place as well as power other systems.

Unfortunately waste particles, radioactive and otherwise, are given off during this process. In addition to the beta radiation, other nuclear particles are given off during this process. Protons are present but neutrinos in particular are emitted in large quantities. These particles must be caught, or vented, creating a dilemma when considering its use as a power source. With the proper system, Xenium creates a large power output, which is then used to power ship systems with the excess being stored in a battery. Waste particles are then captured in a containment system or vented into the air. It should be noted that the charge produced in this manner is tremendous, and we are unable as yet to create a battery that successfully stores the all the power output of Xenium. This proves to be more and more important, as Xenium itself is used up during the aforementioned processes. The use of Xenium must therefore be carefully monitored lest we completely use up this precious material on trivial matters.

One other property of Xenium 122 was discovered while researching particle bombardment testing. Certain catalysts used for bombardment destabilized the Xenium samples. This mixture of Xenium and catalyst particles would lead to the creation of energized plasma and may be the basis for the plasma weapons seen wielded by aliens in the field. Further research into this area of Xenium 122 usage is recommended.

Mmmm. its good. there are two places you refer to it as a compound in para1.

as for the particle bombardment in plasma tech, that can very easily be changed. as it stands plasma weapons rely on an exotic particle source to start the reaction, then magnets to contain and propel the plasma. doesnt it seem more eloquent to do everything with magnetic fields?

if not, thats ok, its just a game.

The entry looks very good, I have 2 questions before saying it's a done deal.

1. Xenium is best described as a fold in space-time.... In its most basic, unrefined state Xenium 122 seems to clump together in a crystalline structure

Should the first part say "is best described as a material that folds space-time"?

2. The particle bombardment: as we use X-122 to make plasma clips, whatever process that occurs to make the plasma must fit in the weapon itself, and as the X-122 is injected into the firing chamber it's bombarded/warped into plasma and projected out. Is there enough room to for that to happen in a plasma pistol? The X-122 can help power whatever reaction/fields needed to fire the weapon using the charge that bleeds off as you state. I just want to make sure all this will fit into the pistol. If it can, cool.

Other than that, the entry lloks great and can be sent to the presses. When you have the final version, just post it in rtf format as an attachment, and I'll update the assetlist to include the file. Good work! :rock:

Alright, thanks for the heads up on the compound issue Cartesian (the find/replace command didn't catch the second one.) Also, in response to your questions Breunor:

1. We don't entirely understand how Xenium is created. It's a completely alien set of concepts (hence why I liked the name). Think of Xenium as a by-product of the space-time fold. When space is folded in that way then Xenium coalesces into it's basic form. It's not a meterial that folds space time. It is a representation of the fold itself.

2. The plasma bit is added at the end only so that it could easily tie in with the plasma concept weapon entries. I was told that the plasma would be created by bombarding Xenium with other particles. Hence, I wrote in the basis for the tech in the end of the entry. My best advice would be to ask the people writing the plasma pistol entry as to whether or not the entire process fits in the pistol and how.

Anyway, here it the corrected entry in .rtf format.

Xenium_122.rtf

Breunor: Yeah, we know material stuff can warrop spacetime, but its got to be pretty exotic, and its always unstable. This isnt a good candidate for our game.

We know SFA about what ST would look like it you did none trivial stuff to it (like fold it on itself etc) so its anyones game and guess.

Denevive: you described it succintly in your explaination, and perhaps that should go in the CTD to avoid possible confusion: "It is a representation of the fold itself."

Plasma pistol: Particle accelerators are typically large, and use magnets to propel the particles.

The other option is to have a radioactive source (but the energies on those particles isnt generally anywhere near as high).

I'll find out who's done the plasma pistol CTD and see if I can talk them round. (actually, I think i already have/am in the process of...?) I think that if you say something to the effect of: When Xenium is subjected to a set of oscillating magnetic fields finely tuned to the resonant frequency of Xenium it destablises completely and effectively instantly converting directly into light.

We could use the name of famous scientist to give a name to the new element [Elerium- Xenium].

Like Einsteinium, Berelium, Mendelievium, Lawrencium, Rutherfordium...

Or a planet like Uranium, Neptunium, Selenium...

We should call it: Mariahcareynium or Barrywhitium or Schwardzenegerium...

Seriously, Keplerium or Galileonium or Copernicium or Tychonium...

Click Here

I've updated the CT assetlist to include the linked file. Let me know if there are any other changes to it, so I can copy those changes to the uploaded file. Good work everybody, this is a very detailed entry and should work very well.

• 9 months later...

Me and Cpt Boxershorts were the two peeps who worked on the plasma weapons. I myself wouldn't mind reworking the plasma weapons CTD, provided that we have a frim basis on why the heck that the plasma weapon design in general have to separate capsuls for ammo...

I myself would perfer to use the metal slug concept which I think was brought up by cartesian in the Plasma Weap thread, but I'm not quite sure I can see a way to implement that without contradicting the models...

As it is, given what is currently in the Xenium CTD, I think I can workup a reasonable concept without partical bombardment. I think i might even be able to get away with not needing everyone to rewrite their plasma ctds...

• 2 months later...

Hey! It's the original Elerium-115 entry! We're famous already. B)

It came up as number 4 on my search, but still in the top 5. Awesome. You know, I actually hadn't even looked over that thing in forever. I don't think I even have a copy of it on my computer anymore. Yet it lives on, a ghost on the net. (or in our database, I suppose.) Spooky. :blink2:

• 1 month later...

In the pinned "The Xenium problem", someone mentioned that element 118 had been discovered. Unfortunately, the paper was retracted due to "misinterpretation of the data," and the search for element 118 continues.

According to trends on the periodic table, element 118 would be next noble gas. Noble gases are incredibly stable compared to other elements because of their fully filled electron orbitals, hence the theorized "islands of stability".

The next noble gas elements would be element 150, then 182, then 214, if no new electron orbitals are discovered. Perhaps we should use one of these numbers instead?

Currently, we have Xenium-122 as the proposed name of the miracle substance. We should take care to call it an "element," not a "material."

If "122" is the atomic number, Xenium would be a part of a new series located below the lanthanide and actinide series on the periodic table. Following trends of the lanthanides and actinides, Xenium would likely be a very dense, highly conductive, radioactive metal that reacts readily with non-metals. It would be either silvery, silvery-white, or gray in appearance, but tarnish swiftly in air.

Also, Xenium would likely have several allotropes (different semi-stable states, like Uranium-235 and Uranium-237). If this were the case, we probably wouldn't name it Xenium-122; we'd name it Xenium-XXX, where XXX is the atomic weight of the allotrope. The atomic weight has to be greater than 292, which is the weight of element 116.

Just my two cents worth.

The -122 is not the atomic number, if you read the entry. Xenium is not an element, it's a fold in space-time IIRC. Anyway, I've PMed Denevive about the 122 thingy, I hardly think scientists would call it Xenium-122 just because it took them 122 experiments to figure out.

Yeah, I was kind of skeptical about that explanation, too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that having a number after a name like that usually denotes either atomic number or atomic weight where allotropes are concerned. Therefore, in my last post, I was suggesting that we change Xenium into an element, and change the number into something plausible, from a chemistry point of view; most materials don't have numbers in their name unless they are commercially marketed.

I might be getting too much into the fine details, though.

In any case, it's a great start with some good ideas. :)

I recieved Azrael's PM about the 122 question, and I'm certainly able to change the info. As stated 122 is NOT an atomic number, so the atomic number question is invalid. When you get down to it, the only reason why 122 is in the name is because elerium 115 was the original name. I can better word the reasn why it's called 122 (FYI: research projects are often refered to by an experiment number. Wheter or not they would conitnue to use the experiment number after an official naming, in this case Xenium, I do not know.) I guess the question is: should I explain the number thing better, or drop it all together? Either option is perfectly fine, so post your opinion and let it be done.

• 1 month later...

The more I look at trying to reword the reason why 122 is in the title, the more that I find that the entry doesn't really need a rewrite.

I suggest on of two things: A fluff text before the beginning of the entry similar to this

“Proceeding with experiment number one hundred twenty-two. Material remains stable. No discernable change in alien material. Okay Carl, you can shut down the… wait a minute! Yuri, increase the power on fields one through thirteen… come on, come on! Jacobs, focus the camera at grid point sixty-seven. Damn it, Yuri! Tighten that field! Wait! NO! Don’t let it go! Amazing. Linus, get me that data. I want to know what just happened.”

Oh, and Jacobs, advise the commander that experiment One-twenty-two was a success.”

-Research Lab internal audio recording

OR

Removing the 122 from the entry entirely.

To be honest I think that the first option is about the best way I can think of explaining it better. If anyone has a better idea on how to reword the paragraph, or would like to take a whack at a similar fluff text, please post it. I've got writer's block right now like you would not believe.

Edited by Denevive

Guest Azrael
The more I look at trying to reword the reason why 122 is in the title, the more that I find that the entry doesn't really need a rewrite.

I suggest on of two things: A fluff text before the beginning of the entry similar to this

“Proceeding with experiment number one hundred twenty-two. Material remains stable. No discernable change in alien material. Okay Carl, you can shut down the… wait a minute! Yuri, increase the power on fields one through thirteen… come on, come on! Jacobs, focus the camera at grid point sixty-seven. Damn it, Yuri! Tighten that field! Wait! NO! Don’t let it go! Amazing. Linus, get me that data. I want to know what just happened.”

Oh, and Jacobs, advise the commander that experiment One-twenty-two was a success.”

OR

Removing the 122 from the entry entirely.

To be honest I think that the first option is about the best way I can think of explaining it better. If anyone has a better idea on how to reword the paragraph, or would like to take a whack at a similar fluff text, please post it. I've got writer's block right now like you would not believe.

The fluff sounds very good, I think with that it should be fine. So how's the book, Denevive, already in the Top 10? :D

• 5 months later...

Xenium 122

Research into the UFO power supply has revealed a synthetic material unlike anything ever before seen on Earth. Given the name Xenium 122, (as it was our 122nd experiment which rendered understanding of the material’s basic functions), this compound both supplies power and allows the creation of anti-gravity waves so essential to the alien propulsion systems.

Xenium is best described as a fold in space-time. When folded in this manner, space-time apparently becomes solid allowing it to be seen and touched. As the Xenium is utilized it shrinks. Once the Xenium is completely used up the fold in space-time “falls flat”, reverting space-time to its normal state and leaving no trace of Xenium’s existence behind. Despite constant research, we are unable to grasp even the basic concepts on how one would synthesize this substance. Unfortunately this places the control of Xenium firmly in the aliens’ hands for now. This monopoly must be broken if we are to win this war.

When Xenium 122 is placed in a rotating magnetic field, it creates a field unlike anything humanity has seen. This field exhibits many properties, but its foremost ability seems to be that it can warp, and even nullify gravity. The rotating magnetic field acts as a “control field” manipulating the Xenium’s field like a steering wheel. Using a set of such fields, one can warp space and travel in the non-linear fashion required for practical space travel. While creating solely Xenium 122 based drive systems is unlikely at this time, the Xenocide science department heavily suggests research into the creation of system to manipulate this property of Xenium.

Another powerful property of Xenium 122 is its ability to give off a charge. This charge gathers at the magnetic poles of the field and can be drawn off to create a constant supply of electricity. The charge given off by Xenium is sufficient to keep the control field in place as well as power other systems.

Unfortunately waste particles, radioactive and otherwise, are given off during this process. In addition to the beta radiation, other nuclear particles are given off during this process. Protons are present but neutrinos in particular are emitted in large quantities. These particles must be caught, or vented, creating a dilemma when considering its use as a power source. With the proper system, Xenium creates a large power output, which is then used to power ship systems with the excess being stored in a battery. Waste particles are then captured in a containment system or vented into the air. It should be noted that the charge produced in this manner is tremendous, and we are unable as yet to create a battery that successfully stores the all the power output of Xenium. This proves to be more and more important, as

Xenium 122

Research into the UFO power supply has revealed a synthetic material unlike anything ever before seen on Earth. Given the name Xenium 122, (as it was our 122nd experiment which rendered understanding of the material’s basic functions), this compound both supplies power and allows the creation of anti-gravity waves so essential to the alien propulsion systems.

Unfortunately waste particles, radioactive and otherwise, are given off during this process. In addition to the beta radiation, other nuclear particles are given off during this process. Protons are present but neutrinos in particular are emitted in large quantities. These particles must be caught, or vented, creating a dilemma when considering its use as a power source. With the proper system, Xenium creates a large power output, which is then used to power ship systems with the excess being stored in a battery. Waste particles are then captured in a containment system or vented into the air. It should be noted that the charge produced in this manner is tremendous, and we are unable as yet to create a battery that successfully stores the all the power output of Xenium. This proves to be more and more important, as Xenium itself is used up during the aforementioned processes. The use of Xenium must therefore be carefully monitored lest we completely use up this precious material on trivial matters.

Azrael asked me to revise this text (actually, it was the other way around :P ), so I'll start with a general inventorizing of what xenium is and is not as well as what it can do and cannot do.

- Xenium is not particulate matter, but instead folded space (or, more correctly, folded spacetime, even though that tends to lead people down the wrong track into thinking that it somehow makes time travel possible)

- Xenium is THE thing that allows manipulation of gravity, making UFOs fly

- Xenium also provides the power for the manipulation of gravity.

Now here's the first problem: If Xenium is the only thing that powers the xenium engine, we MUST make the Xenium-Engine powered vehicles, craft as well as XCAPs, xenium-dependent. but we don't want that. I think I have a solution to that, but I'll talk about that later.

- Xenium is necessary for creation of the high-energy plasma for plasma weapons

- Xenium (Elerium, actually) is necessary for Psi-Amps in the original game

The second problem: do we want xenium to have anything to do with psi?

- The Aliens have as much Xenium as they need

- we have so little xenium that we always need more :) (although, with the right tactics, such as building alien supply-farming bases near alien bases, you can have all you want...)

did I get everything? is there something about xenium that is absolutely important and not mentioned above?

- Xenium also provides the power for the manipulation of gravity.

Now here's the first problem: If Xenium is the only thing that powers the xenium engine, we MUST make the Xenium-Engine powered vehicles, craft as well as XCAPs, xenium-dependent. but we don't want that. I think I have a solution to that, but I'll talk about that later.

well, as you posted yourself we might have an explanation for that... ( http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=135535 ) :P

Oh, and could you try to fit in the basics for this behaviour? :)

as I said, I first wanted to inventorize, so I don't forget anything later... but okay, my idea is that since Xenium is folded or curled-up space, the gravity effect is actually an effect of the unfolding/flattening of the xenium. In effect, as the Xenium-spacetime expands, it merges with our spacetime, bending it. consequently, the xenium itself disappears, because it flattens, so its existence ends.

do you get what I mean? I haven't had the time to think of really good understandable words for it. :)

as I said, I first wanted to inventorize, so I don't forget anything later... but okay, my idea is that since Xenium is folded or curled-up space, the gravity effect is actually an effect of the unfolding/flattening of the xenium. In effect, as the Xenium-spacetime expands, it merges with our spacetime, bending it. consequently, the xenium itself disappears, because it flattens, so its existence ends.

do you get what I mean? I haven't had the time to think of really good understandable words for it.  :)

Hm, I think I get it, but with that theory it is quite difficult to explain a catalystic behaviour. One would need to know how xenium can be produced to rebuild it in the very same moment it is used. Or, well, if I may stick with my theory (XCAP-AG) for a moment, one could say, it doesn't pulse, but is used and instantly rebuilt using the energy from the cells. But then you need to explain why that doesn't allow us to produce xenium, or to use this system in bigger ships. Hm. One might say this "rebuilding" behavior is only shown, directly (femtoseconds) after usage, and a bigger output is not possible, because the power used to create this effect would be so big, that the crystal is not rebuilt, but destroyed... :)

I guess we can just say that by using energy input from an outside source (I would vote for strong magnetic fields instead of electricity), the xenium can be "regenerated" or rather kept from disintegrating but only to the point of functioning as a catalyst, and we don't know why. the XCAP engine is a much more compact variant with only very little xenium and a low spacetime distortion output, therefore it can work with just a small energy input.

(perhaps you need stronger magnetic fields, and the aliens have xenium farms on some distant quasars :) )

I guess we can just say that by using energy input from an outside source (I would vote for strong magnetic fields instead of electricity), the xenium can be "regenerated" or rather kept from disintegrating but only to the point of functioning as a catalyst, and we don't know why. the XCAP engine is a much more compact variant with only very little xenium and a low spacetime distortion output, therefore it can work with just a small energy input.

(perhaps you need stronger magnetic fields, and the aliens have xenium farms on some distant quasars :) )

Hm, why do you think a magnetic field is better? (althogh you can explain it nicely) :)

Hm, why do you think a magnetic field is better? (althogh you can explain it nicely) :)

Why are you two taking into consideration that the Xenium is 'spent' once it unfolds? We can say that it 'wears down' after the process of folding-unfolding in the long term, but meanwhile it can serve to bend gravity and act as catalyst (can you explain why it being a catalyst is needed?).

Why are you two taking into consideration that the Xenium is 'spent' once it unfolds? We can say that it 'wears down' after the process of folding-unfolding in the long term, but meanwhile it can serve to bend gravity and act as catalyst[...]

Well, we don't say, it is vanishing to nowhere, lets just say, it needs to be refolded. If you dissolve a NaCl (Salt) Crystal in water you get single Na+ Ions and Cl- Ions, while the crystal itself is destroyed. To rebuild it you need energy. (which is not 100% correct, but lets just stay with this picture). The problem with just letting it fold and unfold is that you would have a "perpetuum mobile" if you don't need to invest energy to rebuild it. Maybe it is 'weared down', that would explain that some devices have to be 'refilled' once or twice during the game.

(can you explain why it being a catalyst is needed?).

Because we need the catalyst theory for devices that aren't using xenium on a daily basis. Like the XCAP-AG.

Why are you two taking into consideration that the Xenium is 'spent' once it unfolds? We can say that it 'wears down' after the process of folding-unfolding in the long term, but meanwhile it can serve to bend gravity and act as catalyst

because we are looking for a logical and understandable explanation for how it can bend spacetime, and because xenium has already been described as "folded spacetime". folded spacetime, once unfolded, can not exist as xenium (=folded spacetime) anymore. simple, isn't it? :P

(can you explain why it being a catalyst is needed?).

because if it is not also catalyst, but only the source of energy, it would be necessary to supply all spacetime-bending machinery with a constant input of xenium.

we are trying a walk on very thin ice with all of this, because the only way XCom was able to get away with plasma beam craft weapons and hover tanks NOT using xenium was by simply not explaining anything :)

we are trying a walk on very thin ice with all of this, because the only way XCom was able to get away with plasma beam craft weapons and hover tanks NOT using xenium was by simply not explaining anything :)

Yap, I think that is the actual problem! With the momentarily used plasma theory I don't see a possibility to avoid Xenium use with every shot. But AFAIK Kikanaide had a Xenium-less PlasmaTheory one day...

because we are looking for a logical and understandable explanation for how it can bend spacetime, and because xenium has already been described as "folded spacetime". folded spacetime, once unfolded, can not exist as xenium (=folded spacetime) anymore. simple, isn't it? :P

Wait! I got an idea right now! It is a little far fetched and needs to be rafinized, but why don't we say in the first femtoseconds after beeing unfolded xenium tends to refold, using spacetime. The question is, where to get the spacetime from (this is getting kind'o strange... :) ) Well, to keep space-time consistency it needs to be taken from the same universum. and since we want to move on, it's just taken from "infront" of the vehicle. So the time behind the vehicle increases (taken from ot the crystal), and in front of the vehicle decreases (and is once again stored in the crystal). This is motion! So. now why does it deplete normaly? Because the newly folded parts are only stable for a very short perioud of time and then destabalize producing a huge blast of time, Thus allowing faster movement if directed to the right position. But if you treat it in the right way, you are able to stabalize the refolded part that far, that it can be used for the next cycle...

---edit---

this surely is a kick in the nuts of every physics-guy :D

Edited by Mad

this surely is a kick in the nuts of every physics-guy

yes.

well, actually, it's not that bad, but somehow it feels weird. althought the idea that taking spacetime from "in front" of the vehicle and adding it "behind" the vehicle is akin to a gravitic pull (it sounds more like surfing on a spacetime-wave, which technically is the same thing).

but if that is what xenium does, where does it get the power to do it from, and why is it used up at all?

but if that is what xenium does, where does it get the power to do it from, and why is it used up at all?

It gets the power from itself. What you're asking is: where did the power come from, that folded spacetime that much, that it sort of "crystalized" in the Xenium? Maybe natural Xenium is a byproduct of black holes, and is to be found in um, well, whereever. We don't need to speak about this. The Aliens found a way to produce Xenium using a "black hole trap" (or whatever, you get the point) - we can only speculate about this.

It is used up, as I explained before, because this semi stable form dissolves very fast if not stabelized.