XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - Combat Powersuit

Cpl Facehugger:

We all have our own preferences... Maybe when we have a list of names, we can have a poll to see what is the generally prefered name.

Until then, since I'm teh one working on the CT, it's going stay that way! :D

Did some minor edits to the CT, with some fixes to the grammer and some rewording...

RESEARCH COMPLETED: HEAVY ASSAULT HARDSUIT PRAETORIAN ("Da Final Gasp!")

HEAD OF RESEARCH PROJECT: [TZU-CHAN LIM]

SPECIFICATIONS:

WEIGHT : [253 lbs]

FRONT ARMOR : [Armor value]

BACK ARMOR : [Armor value]

SIDE ARMOR : [Armor value]

BOTTOM ARMOR : [Armor value]

The HAH-MK IV Praetorian is the result of research into alien technologies and human ingenuity. Much stronger than the [personal armor], this hardsuit can protect the wearer from the devastating effects of the alien's plasma weapons yet does not affect the mobility of the wearer in any way. We have projected that if every agent is equipped with the Praetorian, casualties in the field will be reduced by as much as twenty to thirty percent. As such, we recommend that mass production of the Praetorian be implemented as soon as possible.

"At first I was not too sure about the new armor. I mean the damn thing looks like it weighs a quarter ton even without weapons and ammo, and I'm supposed to fight wearing this thing? I was expecting to get my uh- "hindquarters" handed to me by the ROVs. But once I powered up and finally got it calibrated right, it felt lighter then my duty uniform. I managed to take down four of the tanks, and really screwed the last one up before it got me. I can't wait to see the looks on the bug's faces when we show up in these!"

--Lt. Whetherson, X-Corp infantry field testing

Powered armor has always been seen as the ultimate answer in improving the effectiveness of soldiers on the battlefield, and black-box programs to develop the powered armor have set up by various agencies around the world since as early as the 1990s with various degrees of success, but all were stumped by the fact that a light weight yet strong and responsive motor control system that could be mass produced was impossible to design.

An US Army advance weapons design team in the late 90's developed the predecessor of today's Electro Active Polymers. Using that as a basis for the motive system, they developed what is now commonly refered to as "Myomers", bundles of Electro Active Polymers that mimic the muscles in the human body. With the new motive system, they went on to develope the first working prototype powered armor, the Evangelion.

Unfortunately, due to the high density of Electro Active Polymers in each bundle of myomer, the energy consumption of the Evangelion prototype was too high. The Evangelion was bulky, slow and seriously underpowered. Also, the protoype that the team developed had to be tethered to power station in order to be active for a reasonable period of time. As a result, the development comittee decided to cancel the project and the prototypes were mothballed.

However, with the development of Xenium-122 power sources based on the alien's [uFO power systems], as well as the unique alien alloys, the project was reactivated under X-Corps control, and have successfully developed the first working power armor system, the Heavy Assault Hardsuit Mark IV, HAH-IV Praetorian. Also, with the use of advance materials developed recently, the power consumption of the myomer groupings were reduced to a reasonable amount. They are powered by a pair of miniaturized Xenium-122 rechargeable power cells which have a large enough internal charge to run for 84 straight hours of active use. The power cells can be recharged by hooking into a Xenium-122 based generator.

The myomer system is designed to only provide the strength to carry the weight of the Praetorian Heavy Assault Hardsuit effortlessly as previous prototypes that boosts the user's strength proved near impossible to control. Simply put, the myomers act as a sort of ‘power steering’ that allows the user to move as if they were wearing nothing at all, rather then a 253 lb battle armor.

Each suit is fully adjustable, and is fitted to the individual specifications of each soldier to provide a snug, but not tight, fit. The control system is a series of pressure sensitive pads that are built into the innermost layer. The pads are placed along major movement points such as the joints, neck and especially around the hands and shoulders. When pressure is applied onto the pads by the movement of the wearer, information regarding the pressure exerted onto the pad is transmitted to a CPU which then stimulates the appropriate myomer bundles. Also, the wearer is provided with force-feedback system via a series of CO2 activated air bladders built into the control lining of the Praetorian power armor. As such, very little training is required as with proper calibration, the Praetorian will effectively move with the wearer as if it was just a basic uniform.

Their vitals are tracked automatically by the medical computer, which is situated next to the main CPU, and if the armor detects a breach of suit integrity accompanied by a change in the soldier’s vitals indicating a wound, any one of the CO2 bladders can be inflated to act in it’s secondary role of applying pressure as close to the wound as possible. If ordered to by the medical computer or by manual command from either the soldier himself or a medic, the armor will apply this pressure directly to the closest major artery, acting as a tourniquet.

The actual protection offered by this new armor makes it far and away the most durable protective garment ever developed by mankind. The alien alloys that make up the surface of the armor are layered in some places over twelve times thicker then our old personal armor. In the laboratory, one chest plate stood up to three direct hits from a heavy plasma before failing, and even then, the damage sensors underneath detected that if the test had in fact been a real combat, the soldier would have most likely survived, and perhaps even been able to return to duty eventually.

Truly, this represents one of the greatest steps towards leveling the playing field, and winning this war.

"The original design specifications included enchanced strength among other things, but after a series of mishaps, involving an out-of-control prototype and a base-wide blackout, that led to the labs needing two new walls, a new skylight for the base commander's room, various damaged equipment in [general stores] one and the base commander's cat clinging to the ceiling of the command room, the commander held us all at gun point and demanded that we forget about the enchanced strength..."

-- Dr. Emanuel , HAH Project Leader

Care to run it through the Facehugger Grammer and Spellchecker ™?

That is good :) Have you read Strship troopers by Heinlein? The Jump suits are described in rich detail and I think would add something to your text.

Evangellion, hmm I wonder where that came from ;) So whps your fave character, please don't say its Shinji.

Hmm...

I've got the book, but I think the power armor is pretty well describe as it is... Unless someone wants me to develop the CT enough that you can built your own after reading through the CT...

I like Unit 01! And Rei...

Well, you wanted it run through the Facehugger ™ spelling and grammar check! :)

I found very few flaws with the text, a couple of mispelled words and some word choice problems (does not include hardsuit) were about the only things I could fix.

Power_armor_with_minor_corrections.doc

Thanks for the run through. I took a gander through the revised version and changed a couple of sentences that I felt could be done better. Other than that, there's not much difference, and I figure that this CTD is pretty much finished.

Posting the final text here and PMing Bruenor to notify him.

PoweredArmorFinal.rtf

LOL, all this Mountain Dew isn't doing any good! My cut and paste skills are a little shaky this morning... it should be corrected now.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I really marked up this entry, but most of changes were due replacing old names, their associated terms, and the resulting verb disagreements. Occasionally, alterations were made due to confusing sentence structures in the original text. In several instances, I also replaced words to be more specific and more accurate.

-Asty

Red text indicates additions, orange text indicated deletions, and blue text indicates comments.

COMBAT POWERSUIT MK IV “PRAETORIAN”

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Armor/Combat Powersuit

RESEARCH COMPLETED: HEAVY ASSAULT HARDSUIT PRAETORIAN ("Da Final Gasp!")

HEAD OF RESEARCH PROJECT: [TZU-CHAN LIM]

SPECIFICATIONS:

WEIGHT : [253 lbs] Are we using metric units?

FRONT ARMOR : [Armor value]

BACK ARMOR : [Armor value]

SIDE ARMOR : [Armor value]

BOTTOM ARMOR : [Armor value]

The HAH- Combat Powersuit MK IV “Praetorian” is the result of research into aAlien technologies combined with basic human ingenuity. Much stronger than our [personal armor] Combat Armor, this armor can protect the wearer from the devastating effects of the aAlien 's plasma weapons yet does not adversely affect the mobility of the wearer in any way. We have projected that if every agent is equipped with the Praetorian, casualties in the field will be reduced by as much as twenty to thirty percent. As such, we recommend that mass immediate Changed because "mass production" means "create lot of suits" because they reduce casualties, while "immediate" means "create now" because they reduce casualties.  "Immediate" has a slightly clearer meaning. production of the Praetorian as soon as possible.

"At first I was not too sure about the new armor. I mean the damn thing looks like it weighs a quarter ton even without weapons and ammo, and I'm supposed to fight wearing this thing? I was expecting to get my uh- "hindquarters" handed to me by the ROVs ROVs?  What are they?. But once I powered up and finally got it calibrated right, it felt lighter then no different from Changed to address the issue that the armor does not increase strength my duty uniform. I managed to take down four of the tanks, and really screwed the last one up before it got me. I can't wait to see the looks on the bug's faces when we show up in these!"

--Lt. Whetherson, X-Corp infantry field testing

Powered armor suits has have always been seen as the ultimate answer in improving the effectiveness of soldiers on the battlefield, and black-box programs to developing these powered armor suits have were set up by various world agencies around the world since as early as the 1990s.  Although they met with various degrees of success, they, but all were stumped by the design constraints of producing a relatively inexpensive, fact that a lightweight, yet strong and responsive motor control system that could be mass produced was impossible to design. Changed these sentences to mitigate confusion and improve flow.

A US Army advanced weapons design team in the late 90's developed the predecessor of today's Electro Active Polymers in the late 1990’s. Using that as a basis for the motive system., they developed Their work eventually led to what are now commonly referred to as "Mmyomers", bundles of Electro Active Polymers that mimic the muscles in the human body. With the new motive system, they went on to develop the first working prototype powered armor suits, the Evangelion. I strongly recommend changing this reference.  It’s too blatant, and it jars players from the Xenocide universe.  If necessary, use a subtler reference, such as “Unit 01” because it’s also plausible in the Xenocide universe- it’s their first prototype, after all, and Evangelion fans would recognize it immediately.

Unfortunately, due to the high density of Electro Active Polymers in each bundle of myomer, the energy consumption requirements of the Evangelion prototype was were too high. The Evangelion was bulky, slow, and seriously underpowered. Also, the prototype that the team developed had to be tethered to power station in order to be active for a reasonable period extended periods Changed to prevent confusion. of time. As a result, the development committee decided to cancel shelve the project and the prototypes were mothballed.

However, with the development of Xenium-122 power sources based on the aAlien's ][uFO power systems] Xenium Reactors, as well as the unique aAlien alloys Composites, the project was reactivated under X-Corps control, and it has have successfully developed the first working power armor system, the functionally named Combat Powersuit Heavy Assault Hardsuit Mark IV, or dubbed the Praetorian. Also, with the use of recently developed advanced materials developed recently, the power consumption of the myomer groupings were reduced to a reasonable amount. The Praetorian is powered by a pair of miniaturized Xenium-122 rechargeable power cells which have a large enough internal charge to run for 84 straight hours of active use. The power cells can be recharged by hooking into any Xenium-122 based generator.

The myomer system is designed to only provide the strength to carry support the weight of the Praetorian Heavy Assault Hardsuit effortlessly as previous strength-enhancing prototypes that boosts the user's strength proved near impossible to control. Simply put, the myomers act as a sort of ‘power steering’ that allows the user to move as if they were wearing nothing at all, rather then far less than Changed to be consistent with the next paragraph. a 253-lb. suit of Are we using metric units?  If so, convert to kg. battle armor.

Each suit is fully adjustable, and is fitted to the individual specifications of each soldier to provide a snug, but not tight, fit. The control system is consists a series of pressure sensitive pads that are built into the innermost layer. The pads are placed along major movement points such as the joints, neck and especially around the hands and shoulders. When pressure is applied onto the pads by the movement of the wearer, information regarding the pressure exerted onto the pad is transmitted to a CPU which then stimulates the appropriate myomer bundles. Also, the wearer is provided with force-feedback system via a series of CO2 carbon dioxide-activated air bladders built into the innermost lining of the Praetorian powersuit armor. As such, very little training is required as with proper calibration Suggest: “As such, with a little training and proper calibration…”, the Praetorian will effectively move with the wearer as if it was just like a basic uniform.

The user’s vitals are tracked automatically by the medical computer, which is situated next to the main CPU, and if the armor detects a breach of suit integrity accompanied by an abnormal change in the soldier’s vitals vital statistics indicating a wound, any one of the CO2 carbon dioxide bladders can be inflated to act in its secondary role of applying pressure as close to the wound as possible. If ordered to by the medical computer or by manual command from either the soldier himself or a medic, the armor will apply this pressure directly to the closest major artery, acting as a tourniquet.

The actual protection offered by this new armor makes it far and away the most durable protective garment ever developed by mankind Suggest: “to date” because many other entries say the same thing.. The aAlien alloys Composites that make up the surface of the armor are layered in some places over twelve times thicker then our old [personal armor] Combat Armor. In the laboratory, one chest plate stood up to three direct hits from an aAlien [heavy plasma] weapon before failing, and even then, the damage sensors underneath detected indicated that if had the test had in fact been a real combat, the soldier would have most likely survived, and perhaps even been able to return to duty eventually.

Truly, this represents one of our greatest steps towards leveling the playing field with the Aliens, and winning this war.

"The original design specifications included enhanced strength among other things, but after a series of mishaps, involving an out-of-control prototypes and a base-wide blackouts, that led to the labs needing two new walls, a new skylight for the base commander's room, various damaged equipment, in the base stores and the bBase cCommander's cat clinging to the ceiling of the cCommand rRoom, the cCommander held us all at gun point and demanded that we forget about the enhanced strength..."

-- Dr. Emanuel Add last name here., HAH Combat Powersuit Project Leader

Edited by Astyanax

Are we using metric units?

Yes, as all scientific reports.

I strongly recommend changing this reference.  It’s too blatant, and it jars players from the Xenocide universe.  If necessary, use a subtler reference, such as “Unit 01” because it’s also plausible in the Xenocide universe- it’s their first prototype, after all, and Evangelion fans would recognize it immediately.

Completely agree, I’ll ask Tzuchan to pick a new name.

MK IV “PRAETORIAN” COMBAT POWERSUIT

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Armor/Combat PowerSuit

The MK IV “Praetorian” Combat Powersuit is the result of research into Alien technologies combined with basic Human ingenuity. Much stronger than our Combat Armor, this Powersuit can protect the wearer from the devastating effects of the Aliens’ plasma weapons yet does not adversely affect the mobility of the user in any way. We have projected that if every agent is equipped with the Praetorian, casualties in the field will be reduced by as much as thirty percent. As such, we recommend that mass immediate mass production of the Praetorian.

"At first I was not too sure about the new armor. I mean the damn thing looks like it weighs a quarter ton even without weapons and ammo, and I'm supposed to fight wearing this thing? I was expecting to get my uh- "hindquarters" handed to me by the ROVs. But once I powered up and finally got it calibrated right, it felt no different from my duty uniform. I managed to take down four of the tanks, and really screwed the last one up before it got me. I can't wait to see the looks on the bug's faces when we show up in these!"

--Lt. Whetherson, X-Corps infantry field testing

I’ll ask Tzuchan what ROVs are.

Powered armors have always been seen as the ultimate answer in improving the effectiveness of soldiers on the battlefield, and black-box programs developing these powered armors were set up by various international agencies since as early as the 1990s. Although various degrees of success were achieved, they all were stumped by the design constraints of producing a relatively inexpensive, lightweight, yet strong and responsive motor control system.

The term power-armor or powered-armor is already in use, even if they do not exist. As such, our Combat Powersuit is a power armor, it’s a power armor called powersuit, makes little sense doesn’t it :P ?, we can see into it in detail later

A US Army advanced weapons design team in the late 90's developed the predecessor of today's Electro Active Polymers in the late 1990’s as a base for the motive system. Their work eventually led to what are now commonly referred to as "Myomers", bundles of Electro Active Polymers that mimic the muscles in the human body. With the new motive system, they went on to develop the first working prototype powered armor suits, the Unit-01.

Unit-01 until Tzuchan picks a new name. That was my exact same objection the last time I proofread it, we can’t mention a name from a Japanese series, or any other series for that matter, wouldn’t be realistic. Have these predecessors of the Electro Active Polymers actually been developed?, it says late 90’s, so that would be like 1998, 1999, and has it been developed by the US?, is this info correct?

Unfortunately, due to the high density of Electro Active Polymers in each bundle of myomer, the energy requirements of the Unit-01 prototype were too high. The prototype was bulky, slow, and seriously underpowered. Also, the prototype had to be tethered to a power station in order to be active for extended periods of time. As a result, the development committee decided to shelve the project; all prototypes were mothballed.

However, our research into the Aliens’ Xenium Reactors, as well as the unique Alien Composites, allowed the project to be reactivated under X-Corps control, successfully developing the first working power armor system; functionally named Combat Powersuit Mark IV, dubbed the Praetorian. Also, with the use of recently developed advanced materials, the power consumption of the myomer groupings was reduced to a satisfactory amount. The Praetorian is powered by a pair of miniaturized Xenium-122 rechargeable power cells which store enough internal charge to last 84 straight hours of active use. The power cells can be recharged by hooking into any Xenium-122 based generator.

The Xenium Reactors were not developed, they were researched, you can use a Xenium Reactor that was stripped from an UFO. You make them exactly as found in UFOs.

The myomer system is designed to only support the weight of the Praetorian effortlessly, as previous strength-enhancing prototypes proved near impossible to control. Simply put, the myomers act as a sort of ‘power steering’ that allows the user to move as if he was wearing far less than a 114,76 kg suit of battle armor.

Yes, metric system, metric system, metric system :), converted.

Each suit is fully adjustable, and is fitted to the individual specifications of each soldier to provide a snug fit. The control system consists in a series of pressure-sensitive pads that are built into the innermost layer. The pads are placed along major movement points such as the joints, neck and especially around the hands and shoulders. When pressure is applied onto the pads by the movement of the wearer, information regarding the pressure exerted onto the pad is transmitted to a CPU which then stimulates the appropriate myomer bundles. Also, the wearer is provided with force-feedback system via a series of carbon dioxide-activated air bladders built into the innermost lining of the Praetorian powersuit. As such, very little training is required as with proper calibration the Praetorian will effectively move with the wearer as if it was just a basic uniform.

The user’s vitals are tracked automatically by the medical computer situated next to the main CPU, should the armor detect a breach of suit integrity accompanied by an abnormal change in the soldier’s vital statistics, any one of the carbon dioxide bladders can be inflated to act in its secondary role of applying pressure as close to the wound as possible. If ordered to by the medical computer or by manual command from either the soldier himself or a medic, the armor will apply this pressure directly to the closest major artery, acting as a tourniquet.

The actual protection offered by this new armor makes it far and away the most durable protective garment ever developed by mankind to date. The Alien Composites that make up the surface of the armor are layered in some places over twelve times thicker than our old Combat Armors. In the laboratory, one chest plate stood up to three direct hits from an Alien Heavy Plasma Rifle weapon before failing, and even then, the damage sensors underneath indicated that had the test in fact been a real combat, the soldier would have most likely survived, and perhaps even able to return to duty eventually.

Three direct blasts from a heavy plasma rifle is a lot, isn’t this a little exaggerated?, I’m not sure but it seems a lot to me at first sight

Truly, this represents one of our greatest steps towards leveling the playing field with the Aliens, and winning this war.

"The original design specifications included enhanced strength among other things, but after a series of mishaps, involving an out-of-control prototype and a base-wide blackout, that led to the labs needing two new walls, a new skylight for the Base Commander's room, various damaged equipment and the Base Commander's cat clinging to the ceiling of the Command Room, the Commander held us all at gun point and demanded that we forgot about the enhanced strength..."

-- Dr. Emanuel Add last name here. , Combat Powersuit Project Leader

• 3 weeks later...

MK IV “PRAETORIAN” COMBAT POWERSUIT

The MK IV “Praetorian” Combat Powersuit is the result of research into Alien technologies combined with basic Human ingenuity. Much stronger than our Combat Armor, this Powersuit can protect the wearer from the devastating effects of the Aliens’ plasma weapons yet does not adversely affect the mobility of the user in any way. We have projected that if every agent is equipped with the Praetorian, casualties in the field will be reduced by as much as thirty percent. As such, we recommend that mass immediate mass production of the Praetorian.

"At first I was not too sure about the new armor. I mean the damn thing looks like it weighs a quarter ton even without weapons and ammo, and I'm supposed to fight wearing this thing? I was expecting to get my uh- "hindquarters" handed to me by the Remotely Operated Vechs (ROVs) . But once I powered up and finally got it calibrated right, it felt no different from my duty uniform. I managed to take down four of the tanks, and really screwed the last one up before it got me. I can't wait to see the looks on the bug's faces when we show up in these!"

Powered armors have always been seen as the ultimate answer in improving the effectiveness of soldiers on the battlefield, and black-box programs developing these powered armors were set up by various international agencies since as early as the 1990s. Although various degrees of success were achieved, they all were stumped by the design constraints of producing a relatively inexpensive, lightweight, yet strong and responsive motor control system.

A US Army advanced weapons design team in the late 90's developed the predecessor of today's Electro Active Polymers in the late 1990’s as a base for the motive system. Their work eventually led to what are now commonly referred to as "Myomers", bundles of Electro Active Polymers that mimic the muscles in the human body. With the new motive system, they went on to develop the first working prototype powered armor suits, the Ogre-01.

Have these predecessors of the Electro Active Polymers actually been developed?, it says late 90’s, so that would be like 1998, 1999, and has it been developed by the US?, is this info correct?

Unfortunately, due to the high density of Electro Active Polymers in each bundle of myomer, the energy requirements of the Ogre-01 prototype were too high. The prototype was bulky, slow, and seriously underpowered. Also, the prototype had to be tethered to a power station in order to be active for extended periods of time. As a result, the development committee decided to shelve the project; all prototypes were mothballed.

However, our research into the Aliens’ Xenium Reactors, as well as the unique Alien Composites, allowed the project to be reactivated under X-Corps’ control, successfully developing the first working power armor system; functionally named “Combat Powersuit” Mark IV, dubbed the Praetorian. Also, with the use of recently developed advanced materials, the power consumption of the myomer groupings was reduced to a satisfactory amount. The Praetorian is powered by a pair of miniaturized Xenium-122 rechargeable power cells which store enough internal charge to last 84 straight hours of active use. The power cells can be recharged by hooking into any Xenium-122 based generator.

The myomer system is designed to only support the weight of the Praetorian effortlessly, as previous strength-enhancing prototypes proved near impossible to control. Simply put, the myomers act as a sort of ‘power steering’ that allows the user to move as if he was wearing far less than a 114,76 kg suit of battle armor.

Each suit is fully adjustable, and is fitted to the individual specifications of each soldier to provide a snug fit. The control system consists in a series of pressure-sensitive pads that are built into the innermost layer. The pads are placed along major movement points such as the joints, neck and especially around the hands and shoulders. When pressure is applied onto the pads by the movement of the wearer, information regarding the pressure exerted onto the pad is transmitted to a CPU which then stimulates the appropriate myomer bundles. Also, the wearer is provided with force-feedback system via a series of carbon dioxide-activated air bladders built into the innermost lining of the Praetorian powersuit. As such, very little training is required as with proper calibration the Praetorian will effectively move with the wearer as if it was just a basic uniform.

The user’s vitals are tracked automatically by the medical computer situated next to the main CPU, should the armor detect a breach of suit integrity accompanied by an abnormal change in the soldier’s vital statistics, any one of the carbon dioxide bladders can be inflated to act in its secondary role of applying pressure as close to the wound as possible. If ordered to by the medical computer or by manual command from either the soldier himself or a medic, the armor will apply this pressure directly to the closest major artery, acting as a tourniquet.

The actual protection offered by this new armor makes it far and away the most durable protective garment ever developed by mankind to date. The Alien Composites that make up the surface of the armor are layered in some places over twelve times thicker than our old Combat Armors. In the laboratory, one chest plate stood up to three direct hits from an Alien Heavy Plasma Rifle weapon before failing, and even then, the damage sensors underneath indicated that had the test in fact been a real combat, the soldier would have most likely survived, and perhaps even able to return to duty eventually.

Three direct blasts from a heavy plasma rifle is a lot, isn’t this a little exaggerated?, I’m not sure but it seems a lot to me at first sight

Truly, this represents one of our greatest steps towards levelling the playing field with the Aliens, and winning this war.

"The original design specifications included enhanced strength among other things, but after a series of mishaps, involving an out-of-control prototype and a base-wide blackout, that led to the labs needing two new walls, a new skylight for the Base Commander's room, various damaged equipment and the Base Commander's cat clinging to the ceiling of the Command Room, the Commander held us all at gun point and demanded that we forgot about the enhanced strength..."

-- Dr. Emanuel Add last name here. , Combat Powersuit Project Leader

• 2 years later...

minimal changes

MK IV "PRAETORIAN" COMBAT POWERSUIT

The MK IV "Praetorian" Combat Powersuit is the result of research into Alien technologies combined with basic Human ingenuity. Much stronger than our Combat Armor, this Powersuit can protect the wearer from the devastating effects of the Aliens' plasma weapons yet does not adversely affect the mobility of the user in any way. We have projected that if every agent is equipped with the Praetorian, casualties in the field will be reduced by as much as thirty percent. As such, we recommend that mass immediate mass production of the Praetorian.

"At first I was not too sure about the new armor. I mean the damn thing looks like it weighs a quarter ton even without weapons and ammo, and I'm supposed to fight wearing this thing? I was expecting to get my uh- "hindquarters" handed to me by the XCAPs. But once I powered up and finally got it calibrated right, it felt no different from my duty uniform. I managed to take down four of the tanks, and really screwed the last one up before it got me. I can't wait to see the looks on the bug's faces when we show up in these!"

A US Army advanced weapons design team in the late 90's developed the predecessor of today's Electro Active Polymers in the late 1990's as a base for the motive system. Their work eventually led to what are now commonly referred to as "Myomers", bundles of Electro Active Polymers that mimic the muscles in the human body. With the new motive system, they went on to develop the first working prototype powered armor suits, the Ogre-01.

Unfortunately, due to the high density of Electro Active Polymers in each bundle of myomer, the energy requirements of the Ogre-01 prototype were too high. The prototype was bulky, slow, and seriously underpowered. Also, the prototype had to be tethered to a power station in order to be active for extended periods of time. As a result, the development committee decided to shelve the project; all prototypes were mothballed.

However, our research into the Aliens' Xenium Reactors, as well as the unique Alien Composites, allowed the project to be reactivated under X-Corps' control, successfully developing the first working power armor system; functionally named ?Combat Powersuit? Mark IV, dubbed the Praetorian. Also, with the use of recently developed advanced materials, the power consumption of the myomer groupings was reduced to a satisfactory amount. The Praetorian is powered by a pair of miniaturized Xenium-122 rechargeable power cells which store enough internal charge to last 84 straight hours of active use. The power cells can be recharged by hooking into any Xenium-122 based generator.

The myomer system is designed to only support the weight of the Praetorian effortlessly, as previous strength-enhancing prototypes proved near impossible to control. Simply put, the myomers act as a sort of ?power steering' that allows the user to move as if he was wearing far less than a 114,76 kg suit of battle armor.

The user's vitals are tracked automatically by the medical computer situated next to the main CPU, should the armor detect a breach of suit integrity accompanied by an abnormal change in the soldier's vital statistics, any one of the carbon dioxide bladders can be inflated to act in its secondary role of applying pressure as close to the wound as possible. If ordered to by the medical computer or by manual command from either the soldier himself or a medic, the armor will apply this pressure directly to the closest major artery, acting as a tourniquet.

Truly, this represents one of our greatest steps towards levelling the playing field with the Aliens, and winning this war.

-- Dr. Emanuel Rodruigez. , Combat Powersuit Project Leader

Edited by Mad