XCOMUFO & Xenocide

User Made Maps

DaiShiva

Well, that depends on what you mean by "Tile Set." If you mean Terrain like the City is a terrain, or the Farm is a terrain, then it's not too hard. All maps you make (using DaiShiva's Editor) must have the same (what I would call tile sets) in the same order. Then you go and stick a piece of code (like the one in my map pack which I put earlier in this thread) in the file User-Maps.lua (which would be in the directory init-scripts). Your maps must be numbered (all though I'm not exactly what the rules are for that). Then just go into the game and if the other person has the same maps, and the same little chunk of code, then you can play 'em with the maps. If they have a different UserMaps file, then you will probably only be able to play the terrains you share. But, once again I'm not sure how specifically it handles discrepencies. If you have it the same it should work though. (which is why I gave the nessesary code with my set of maps)

If, on the other hand you mean tile sets like I mean Tilesets, (which is very possible considering the fact that you have actually made maps before, and therfor must have some understanding of the workings), then I may have just patronized you and if so, I apologize. Now if you do mean it like I mean it, for example the Farm Terrain is made up of Tilesests Cultivat and Barn, then I'm not exactly sure how you would edit them but whatever files you would need to change would be in the Xcom\terrain directory. (and possibly TFTD\terrain, but I don't have that one so I'm not sure...) There seem to be 3 files for each tileset (.tab, .pck, and .mcd) I assume you'd have to know how to handle all 3. The PCK seems to be the Image pack, I asume one of the otheres (probably MCD) would handle the style of tile (door, stairs, alien engine, etc). I don't know what the last one would do. Good luck with that, though.

If you mean something different then I don't think that I can help you at all. :explode:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I went and made my Mountain base. It was kinda funny; after I made my first 4 maps, I heard about Operation: Mountain Storm. So, I present to you: Storm Mountain. 12 maps (6 10x10's and 6 20x20's.) Made with a combination of Mountain, Xbase (1), and part of the urban bits (urbits). Mostly just for the fence. Once again, I have included a sample.dat that shows all tiles, and the code nessesary to play these maps. Just stick the code from the .TXT at the end of your user-maps.lua (in the init-scripts directory). If you don't know what you're doing, make a back up though. just in case it all goes to heck. :devilburn:

Ok, this map set came out similar to the Xbase+ ones, but not intentionally. I had originally planned on actually making a mountain (well, 4 different floors outside) but then realized I wanted the random maps to line up well, so quickly abandoned that idea. Instead what I came up with is mostly a bunch of hallways, but also with airvents for sneaking around in. :ph34r: It can make evan a small 4x4 map feel huge though, especially if you opponent knows how to be stealthy. I suggest bringing along probestick/stun rods because, it turns out they're pretty good for tunneling. Explosives work well for that also, but if you fall into a hole you might not want to have to blow yourself out.... :explode:

Any way, Hope ya like 'em.

Btw, I notice a couple people have down loaded my other maps, but (according to the server "http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/results.php") only me and my bro's have played with them online. In case you were wondering, it doesn't stop you from playing people who don't have these maps, you simply can't play these maps against people who don't have them. Oh, incase I forgot to mention (well, I don't see it in my post), you have to put these maps in your X-com\maps directory if you want that code to actually do something... Sorry I forgot to mention it earlier... :sorry:

Also, I enjoy using these emoticons too much. :ninja:

Storm_Mountain.zip

Well, I have created a page with new maps for ufo2000 on wiki and added a link to it from download section on ufo2000 home page.

http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/pmwiki/index.php/Main/NewMaps

Please put information about all your new maps on this page, so they will be easy to find and install.

I have repackaged Mountain Storm terrain by Wiseman and put it to this page.

Now a few comments about the changes made.

First, it is better to put all your new maps to 'newmaps' subdirectory in ufo2000 folder and do not touch original x-com data files to avoid mess. UFO2000 0.4.0.344 now searches for *.lua files in newmaps subdirectory and loads them all, so there is no need to edit user-maps.lua file (it was removed in the last ufo2000 version). So a new terrain for ufo2000 is just a set of *.map and a single .lua file that must be copied to 'newmaps' subdirectory. And the last comment, the names of the files must be in the same case in lua config file and on disk (otherwise your terrain will be unusable in Linux where filename case does matter).

It is also recommended to place copyright and other information about the new terrain into lua config file as a comment.

Wiseman, if you want to update your Mountain Storm terrain (add a proper copyright notice for example :) ), feel free to replace a version of your terrain on wiki at any time.

Thanks to everyone for interest in making new maps for ufo2000. They all look very good.

First, it is better to put all your new maps to 'newmaps' subdirectory in ufo2000 folder and do not touch original x-com data files to avoid mess. UFO2000 0.4.0.344 now searches for *.lua files in newmaps subdirectory and loads them all, so there is no need to edit user-maps.lua file (it was removed in the last ufo2000 version). So a new terrain for ufo2000 is just a set of *.map and a single .lua file that must be copied to 'newmaps' subdirectory. And the last comment, the names of the files must be in the same case in lua config file and on disk (otherwise your terrain will be unusable in Linux where filename case does matter).

Makes sense. I only had mine there originally because I was tossing them around trying to get it to work. Then I was too lazy to change it... Oh and I hadn't realized there was a new version, but that makes it much easier. And I hadn't even considered case sensitivity.. I guess using too much windows made me insensitive.. :crazy:

Wiseman, if you want to update your Mountain Storm terrain (add a proper copyright notice for example smile.gif ), feel free to replace a version of your terrain on wiki at any time.

Uh.. how would I do that? I mean, I don't especially care about copyright, but I might want to add new maps someday...

Wiseman, if you want to update your Mountain Storm terrain (add a proper copyright notice for example smile.gif ), feel free to replace a version of your terrain on wiki at any time.

Uh.. how would I do that? I mean, I don't especially care about copyright, but I might want to add new maps someday...

Just go to the wiki page and click on 'edit' link at the bottom of page. So you can edit text on this page. You will also need to upload your new maps somewhere and provide a link.

well, looks like a battle cruiser to me.

It looks faster than other ships because of it's aerodynamism, hehe.

i'd say it's a race ship, ahah.

I don't really know. I'm thinking more of a a big supply ship, like a flying base. It's somewhat weak in defense, but contains much people.

It looks purply. I see it has the two round prominences at the back end and thrusts forward with a large round purple tip. <_>

It looks purply.  I see it has the two round prominences at the back end and thrusts forward with a large round purple tip. <_>

:LOL:

Deathskulls secret fantasies.. :pink:

I made an entire map set for ufo2000. Here are the map files. Can someone add this to the ufo2000 site? I dont know how to upload files yet.

Edit: I added the LUA file to the maps

Uploading new maps is not difficult at all. There is online help about formatting rules and editing wiki available.

Here are some basic instructions:

1. go to http://ufo2000.lxnt.info/pmwiki/index.php/Main/NewMaps

2. click on 'edit' link at the bottom of page

3. add a description of your map and a text fragment like 'Attach:mycoolmap.zip'

4. preview and then save page

5. you will see a qustion mark after 'Attach:mycoolmap.zip' work - click on it and upload the file

It would be a good idea to package your new map just like the others - include readme.txt with some basic instructions about installing new maps, so it will be more clear what to do with all these maps for newbee players. Also conversion of all filenames to lowercase is required to use your new map in Linux.

Finally I figured out most of the features of the ditor so I was able to make this map. Too bad I can't put this one to work in game...

It's a guard tower hidden in jungle.

post-192-1081457903_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Heya all,

I've been redesigning the Terror Site terrain of UFO to make it more 'urban' and turn the setting into a military base. The maps are fully compatible with the UFO game engine and I intend to publish the files later, when I finish the debugging.

I can't post images here (since Geocities doesn't allow linking to images) of the changes I've made, but I have pictures of all buildings on my page. Take a look, and if you like them there's a couple of saved tactical games that include the buildings and can be downloaded and played using UFO.

Hobbes

Can you post the actual map files here so I can download them(the building files, not a game)

Later, yes. I'll make a zip package with the modified files so that anyone that wants to play the new maps in their own games can download and install it.

But for now the maps still need a lot of beta testing before I publish the files. Any help would be appreciated on this process (all you need to do is check my page and play the saved games and give me your comments on them).

Hobbes

2Hobbes:

funny, i have many maps with similiar idea... :)

P.P.S.: planes, radars and some objects look not properly because the editor doesn't allow mixed pallettes - but it's ok in UFO2000...

Whoa! :) Those are nice! And yeah, that's funny, alright: same idea but different approach to it.

I particularly liked the Skyranger inside the hangar (even if it's violet/pink because of the different palette). I wanted also to built a Skyranger inside my hangar but I'd have to replace too many tiles on the .pck files. :(

You can give the objects their proper colors (as an example, the missile racks on my hangar were taken from TFTD X-COM Base). But you'll need to use PCKView to convert the objects on the .pck to bmp files and then to replace them with saved .bmps from the objects you want. There's a whole different set of palettes to choose so probably you could even give objects new colors (I'm not sure of this actually).

One question: you are using .pcks from both the Alien Base and Terror Site on the bunker, right? Does UFO2000 allows you to use maps like XComUtil?

How do you play the games though?  I put the file in the saved game folder (i use 10) and choose to load game 10?

Either unzip the file into your UFO directory (it will replace game_2 or _3 folder) or unzip it and copy its contents to any game folder. It will appear later on the Load Game screen as V###

to j'ordos

are you using also PCKView to replace tiles on xbase from urban (or vice-versa)? can you post some pictures?

No, I replace the entire terrain file. (some limitations tho, as there is a limit of the amount of objects.)

here's a pic.

edit : yes, the walls look dumb :rolleyes:

URBAN05.gif

Edited by j'ordos

I particularly liked the Skyranger inside the hangar (even if it's violet/pink because of the different palette). I wanted also to built a Skyranger inside my hangar but I'd have to replace too many tiles on the .pck files. :(

i haven't replaced tiles - i've just used few different .pck's - port, skyranger, xbase...

One question: you are using .pcks from both the Alien Base and Terror Site on the bunker, right? Does UFO2000 allows you to use maps like XComUtil?

1)right

2)i think you can't use XComUtil with UFO2000

edit : yes, the walls look dumb :rolleyes:

Nothing that a good paint job wouldn't solve :D

Did you create a new .pck file or you simply used the existing .pcks from XBase and Urban on the map?

they're just the existing XBASE and URBAN tilestes, I think I replaced the URBAN and ROADS terrain files with XBASE1 and 2.

How do you play the games though?  I put the file in the saved game folder (i use 10) and choose to load game 10?

Either unzip the file into your UFO directory (it will replace game_2 or _3 folder) or unzip it and copy its contents to any game folder. It will appear later on the Load Game screen as V###

to j'ordos

are you using also PCKView to replace tiles on xbase from urban (or vice-versa)? can you post some pictures?

All it says is V109s. I see no zip file

v109s

This is how good i did on the game. The thing is, i tried getting the navigator with my guy(it had a stunner) but it had an armed guard. Also, a snakeman ate 10 rounds of heavy plasma! But overall it was easy. Chrysallids got 2 of my guys. Also, i found a floating chryasallid, but i killed it before i got a screenshot. Also, the snakeman who killed 2 guys and took so much plasma stayed in the same spot. Certain places i couldn't throw grenades, even after blowing through the walls.

terror_mission_with_new_map.JPG

Edited by blehm

You need to get real close if you're trying to throw a grenade to an upper level. And even so the most likely event will be that the grenade will land right in front of you.

Was that game a good challenge?

actually, i was on the same level as the aliens. And it was too easy for a superhuman game. I only lost so many guys because i was playing around :P

I only lost so many guys because i was playing around :P

Hehehehe, since I play only to test the terrain I tend to blow up things and do stupid things that get my soldiers killed. The alien sniping still pisses me off on occasion though. :D

I blow holes through walls to make it easier! :D

I've just messed around with the properties of the tiles using a MCD editor....it's much more harder now to bust holes in walls. That should make things more interesting..... :D

i still blew up alot of stuff in the stores and such because i am too lazy to wait for my guys to go around:D I actually blew up one buildings whole first floor, but the 2nd floor still floats.... A chrysallid appeared from nowhere and got one of my guys.

i still blew up alot of stuff in the stores and such because i am too lazy to wait for my guys to go around:D

You won't be able to blow up walls anymore. I've just released the entire mod on my page. Go and check it out :)

• 2 months later...
oh lookie, i made a large scout mod! It is not much different, but it does have somethings i hope will make them harder!(i played with the engineers a bit, so sometimes they will spawn outside teh reactor room :D )

new_large_scout_map.gif

Edited by blehm