XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom1 Saved Game Editor

FodderPHPGuru

Greetings all,

I've started my own windows based editor for XCom UFO defense. The main reason was the love of XCom and not being able to spend 2 weeks building even a marginal team to assault bases. I looked on the web and founds a ton of info on some of the files that make up a saved game. I deal with binary files in my job, so it was easy to modify one of my classes to read the soldier.dat file. That is when it became fun. In order to get the correct craft name the soldier was on, I had to reference 2 other files. So now I have a nice start to a saved game editor that handles soldiers. I have view to Bases, Locations and Crafts as well. For example the base listview shows a total of soldiers/crafts as well as the stock engineer/scientist count.

My intention now is to create a "Mother of All Battles" saved game that will allow even us 'cheaters' to enjoy a worthwhile challenge.

If there is any interest still out there for xcom editors.... please let me know, and I'll post the application here.

XCom UFO Defense is a timeless classic, and I hope to let my son play some day.

Edited by FodderPHPGuru

• 1 year later...

Don't know. I had the privilege of talking to FodderPHPGuru last year and he seemed resistant to release his editor to the public saying something like he didn't think it was "polished" enough. That's too bad, as this editor really showed some promise. =b

- Zombie

Of course! I'm still interested. Can't speak for anyone else here, but anything you have right now is probably better than what is out there. Looking forward to taking this out for a spin. Keep us informed on your progress! :)

- Zombie

• 4 weeks later...

I've got Saved Games, Bases, Facilities, Facility Items, Soldiers working in a view state.

I want to add diplomacy, then be able to save the edits and then I'll be ready for some alpha testers.

The last part I got working was figuring out which base and ship the soldier was on. I disabled the ability to change which ship soldier was on since there will have to be alot of logic surrounding that. But having the CountIndex right on the ship was something that I hadn't seen on any other editor so far, so I was happy with that.

I'm hoping your willing to be first Alpha tester. I did the latest in .NET 2.0 so I'm hoping you have that framework installed?

Edited by FodderPHPGuru

Great news! :)

IIRC, I only have .NET v1.0. I tried updating to v2.0 but my computer wouldn't let me for some reason. I'll have to try again though, I really need to have it installed for other applications which require it. :wink1:

Edit: I remember why my computer wouldn't let me install .NET v2.0 - I needed XP Service Pack 2. And in order to install SP2 I needed Internet Explorer 5 or later (Only had 4 since it's not a secure browser). Tried to install IE7 but apparently that is only for SP2 users. I sat there for a while trying to figure out my options and decided that IE6 should work. It did. Then I spent 5 hours downloading and installing all the missed updates for windows. Think I still need to install SP2 yet, but at least I'll be up to date. Hopefully nothing will get screwed in the update! :fingerscrossed:

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrading to XP SP2 this week (professionally installed of course to eliminate problems) and then the .NET framework v2.0. Will let you know when that is finished. :)

- Zombie

• 3 months later...

Bump!

Release this gem already... i've been looking for such a device for years and i think i just found what i need.

I'll be honest when i say that i am actively developping a full-blast mod of all things X-Com (UFOD/TFTD/APOC) for another game you people may know; Galactic Civilization 2 (Dark Avatar & Twilight of the Arnor expansions included).

Please visit here ( GalCiv2 ) for a quick glance at the X-Worlds thread(s) in the modding section and even take out the library zips to get an idea of what i'm talkin' about.

There's also the cEvo ( an open-source adaptation of Sid Meier's Civ by a germany coder, Steffen Gerlach) package deal of a similar mod while i think about it... visit my personal site here ( XWorlds for cEvo ) to figure what work has been done over the years about this one also.

And, since i will need all the editing powerhouse i can get my hands on (to actually do some snaps from dosbox sessions) your stuff may be helpful to me. XComUtil is all good and nice, but since it must be run in a box too and does major changes to default dat files without my better knowledge, i'd rather have a better and more recent utility.

Mind you, i do have all Daishiva's and plenty more 'tools' i was able to find over the years - but, there's nothing like the latest **working & sturdy** gizmos to enhance the entire X-Com experience.

Just knowing Cydonia's Fall may very well become a reality soon, as i have heard lately, is enough to bring my spirit right back up about this franchise.

So, please - again! ;) Compile your work and give it to us for testing at least.

Thanks,

(PS; one thing i really would like to have or be told how to... is a quick way to edit anything to enforce a base attack by Aliens when & where i want to... cuz i'd rather fiddle with these as i wish - easily! Up for such a challenge, anyone?)

- Zyxpsilon.

ok, ok

I've been working on a drag and drop for the base tab.

I'll change it over to standard editing and release it to Alpha

Actually once I got the soldier and money editing I had what I needed.

But it is very cool. I took a swipe at diplomacy as well, but it doesn't work right yet.

...But it is very cool. I took a swipe at diplomacy as well, but it doesn't work right yet.

Go right ahead and use as much "time" as necessary to properly do your stuff - i can wait & certainly will!

It's just that as soon as i can work with a new X-Com editor (XP, ready - that is!) the more progress i can do on the GC mod without having to run through some DOS pains and relatively 'unstable' other progs. No offense to anyone, btw.

- Zyxpsilon.

Edited by zyxpsilon

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest kevinchaapel
USG will help you make informed choices.Instead of showing you a table of numbers, I'll actually show you and what is recommended by fellow XCOM players. The best 128 games of the last decade are battling it out, and only one will reign supreme. Remember, the two daily battles begin at 9AM and 9PM Pacific each day, and it's not too late to join the battle challenge.