XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - COMPLETED SFX - Chyrsallid Sounds

GreatGold

Hey -

So all those flashy new concept drawings and computer renderings got me thinking and hearing things :blink: . And also, I was reading one of the fan-stories over at the X-Com sight. So let me quote:

Things grew quiet as Esser waited for the alien to reappear.

Now Akira heard what had frightened Zander only seconds before - the

sliding click, click of chrysalid claws on alien alloy.

Its stuff like that which will really set the mood. Is this the type of thing thats being planned?

Gold

ps - excuse my ignorance about htis departments works...im attempting to rectify that now :D

Good idea, we're going to need updated sounds for the aliens and the more atmospheric.

Ok, this one isn't a chryssalid but what do you think. I'm guessing it could be a sound of reaper dying as it has that big body kind of sound.

I know you're all going to ask where the original sound came from so should I keep you guessing or...

Naa I'll tell. It came originally from the carb chamber on a harley davidson. The sound started out as the engine being kick started without the ignition on and the throttle open. That liquidish sounding part toward the end is the pistons going through their cycle.

reaper.zip

Maybe you will need to apply some filters and mix it with something more organic to get the feel you are looking for. However i think that it is a good base sound... About dying i dont know maybe alive... it doesnt sounds too dead for me, not even a little... :D

Greetings

Red Knight

Ok maybe a reaper chowing down on a civvie?

Anyway anyone who wants to can play away to their hearts content with it. This is something I'm just playing at. Though I have been out and about with my minidisk recorder and have got a few interesting sounds that could be played with.

RK I did send it through goldwave and applied a few filters, any suggestions?

Here's another can't remember what the source for this was, but I thought maybe good as a cyberdisc moving?

cyberdisk.zip

Hey, that one is amazing, sounds very high tech.... About ideas, you can try getting sounds from wild animals, a mix with little lion elements can work, try adding as a very low sound background a waterfall to add non random (patterned) noise... Just top of the mind suggestion, can work or not, maybe you could get something interesting...

Greetings

Red Knight

The reaper sounds at first made me think of a cyberdisk floating, some type of repulserlift drive I guess. Could you combine the reaper and cyberdisk sounds together (one on top of the other)? Mixing them in my mind reminds me of an imperial probe moving around. It would make a very nice sound effect for the cyberdisk.

wow, i'm not sure what category i would put this in. it certainly sounds alien. but i think it might be too much. it sounds almost like an alien toliet flushing...or maybe an alien forgot to add the fabric softener? this would be usable, but where?

but what action is this sound? i think it might work as an alien attacking using melee or 'hand to hand'. i don't think it sounds like an alien gun, or an alien sliding across the floor. could be movement tho, i guess it depends on how they get around....

i think this is more of a major sound than a minor 'background' sound. i think trying to blend this sound into ambiance would result in muddiness of both the sound and the ambiance.

i do get the feeling of movement from the sound. the volume starts low, builds, then decreases. like a car passing a stationary listener. maybe a dying droid? i think the cyberdisk.wav sound is much better for this tho. just put a little crash or explosion on the end of it and stick it in the game....

• 1 year later...

I hear an alien with tentacles sloshing around. :-)

Ken

but what action is this sound? i think it might work as an alien attacking using melee or 'hand to hand'. i don't think it sounds like an alien gun, or an alien sliding across the floor. could be movement tho, i guess it depends on how they get around....

i think this is more of a major sound than a minor 'background' sound. i think trying to blend this sound into ambiance would result in muddiness of both the sound and the ambiance.

i do get the feeling of movement from the sound. the volume starts low, builds, then decreases. like a car passing a stationary listener.  maybe a dying droid? i think the cyberdisk.wav sound is much better for this tho. just put a little crash or explosion on the end of it and stick it in the game....