XCOMUFO & Xenocide

SND - COMPLETED SFX - Terrordisk

hippyjon

had an idea for the cyberdisk movement sound... well, i mean im going to play with some heavly modulated flanged wirrings till it sounds good anyway :D

but i was thinking of having one sound loop for when its idle, just floating there, and one for when its moving, with a transitional sound in between the two... is this possible with the sound system?

does that sound like a good idea? any comments suggestions?

Perhaps it could be the same sound, but cycles faster during movement? Maybe at a slightly higher pitch?

thatd certainly be easier, but i was planing on bringing some of the elements further up in the mix when it was moving (mainly just humming when idle; modulated stuff speeding up and getting louder when moving) ...

i'll see how it works out, just speeding up the playback might be good enough

[quote name='hippyjon' date='Jun 19 2003, 10:16 PM']had an idea for the cyberdisk  movement sound... well, i mean im going to play with some heavly modulated flanged wirrings till it sounds good anyway  :D

but i was thinking of having one sound loop for when its idle, just floating there, and one for when its moving, with a transitional sound in between the two... is this possible with the sound system?

does that sound like a good idea? any comments suggestions?[/quote]
Yes it can... 2 separate channels or state driven (two choices for you)...

Greetings
Red Knight Edited by red knight

[i]about a thousand experiments later....[/i]

4 sounds for you to check out

#1 [b]cyberdisk v3 1of1 V2.wav[/b]- low humming loop, v bassy. the best one i think
#2 [b]cyberdisk v3 1of1.wav[/b]- like #1 only slower
#3 [b]cyberD v3 wawa bit.wav[/b]- higher wirrling, maybe comes in when the cyberDisk is moving. would be very annoyin if it was always around. needs more work really
#4 [b]cyberdisk v3 -2outof3.wav[/b]- #3 & #2 together. was gonna have like six elements to the sound, but it just got messy and unatural (in a bad way). of course :)

couldnt sleep

this is much better i think. a 0.14 sec loop that could work. not menacing enough? im not sure :huh:
what d'you think?

[b]cyberdisk v4.wav[/b]- the loop
[b]cyberdisk v4 example.wav[/b]- a demonstration for people without a program that loops seamlessly. changes pitch, like Breunor suggested
[b]cyberdisk v3.2.wav[/b]-maybe some people will prefer this one, slightly more eirie it is. just dont ask about the clicks (grrr)

JT

I liked the v3.2 one the best. It had more of a hard metallic feel to it, while the other two were more of a vehicle sound IMO. Could variations of the v3.2 be made for movement? They all sound cool btw. :D

v3.2 seems to be most popular then... fair enough. err this is a new version of 4 that i did b4 i read this :rolleyes:. ive put in the high pitched whine from 3.2 but it now pulsates.

do people prefer the slow pulsating of 3.2?

anyway i'll go look at ravens one (have to swap pcs)

(the files 58k, theres a short example)

btw im pretty much finished with this for now Edited by hippyjon

It's good but I'd always imagined that the disc would have more range to it. At the moment the sound seems to be on a single frequency, maybe its just my ears :). It needs more dynamicism (is that a word?) more to represent that there its a complex machine. Sorry if I'm being fussy but I'm thinking in terms of an engine which has more than one sound that makes up the fianl sound you hear.
If I may, here's some tweaks :)

hmmm, youve got a point. dont worry about being fussy :)

i think i could use one of the first two... im taking a break from this one for now though, dont want to get bogged down.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote]it really sound like a cyberdisk moving...[/quote]

cool, still needs some work, hopfully come up with a near finished ver tonight

[quote]...but how does it cut off, when it stops?[/quote]

well i was planning on it being a constant sound , that gets louder and increases in pitch when it moves, dunno how this will effect the difficulty of the unit. i think itd have to be quite nails (hard) so you get scared at the sound of it. if it isnt a constant sound ill just make a quick intro/outro sound, no problem, quick pitch shift and fade in/out and itd be ok... unless the sound engine will be able to do this kind of thing? Edited by hippyjon

• 1 month later...
Can't you just download winamp(that's what I use)
[url="http://www.winamp.com"]Winamp site[/url]

Edit: it doesn't really sound like a floating cyberdisc, too high pitch, although that's just my opinion. Edited by Ancalagon

Thanks, I got winamp!

Xcen the sound is fine if we use a mechanical cyberdisk. Out of curiosity could you throw some white noise overtop of it. See if you can make a sound that suggests that cyberdisks are biological. I like it though.

Or failing that, it could be the start of some mood music 4 somewhere. It has that alien tone to it, could very well be extended into a longer piece.

hey itd definatley work, very creepy. i dont mind a bit of compotition (sic) :D specialy since i havent been the most active person in the last month or two.

oh, could do with being loopable too.