XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Topography

jtgibson

Aside from the topography considered above, here's my take:

Arctic/Antarctic:

- Drawback: Additional $250/mo. per person in the base as monthly maintenance, to reflect higher life support (heating) requirements.

- Advantage: Cold environment enhances base security: deep snow reduces the ability for alien units to trudge into the base, reducing the number of alien invaders that get through the (assumed) base defence perimeter.

Desert:

- Drawback: Base is easier to spot by scout UFOs.

- Advantage: Missile defences are more effective and 20% cheaper; radar range is longer; hyperwave decoder is 5% cheaper.

Forest:

- Drawback: Base creation (i.e., new base site) is $100,000 more (6.6% more expensive).

- Advantage: Base is considerably more difficult to spot by UFOs.

Mountains:

- Drawback: Facility construction cost is increased by 5% and takes 10% longer (rounded down -- e.g., 28 days becomes 30 days; 32 days becomes 35 days).

- Advantage: More difficult to spot, all defences more effective.

Plains:

- Drawback: Base is easier to invade or siege.

- Advantage: New base site is $100,000 cheaper.

The advantages and disadvantages also apply in reverse, with regards to the X-Corps spotting/attacking alien bases. With regards to the enhanced defence perimeters... presumably when the X-Corps invades an alien base, they'll be dropped on the surface instead of at the access lift, and there will be a couple of automated sentry guns, as well as maybe a hoverpod or two on patrol. If the base spots the X-Corps on approach (usually a flat chance, reduced if X-Corps uses a stealthier landing craft), then the base will also have armed soldiers on the surface awaiting their arrival.

Someone should get all the other relavent quotes from that thread and post them here too, if no one else does then I will when i get back, i only have about 5 minutes left before i have to go