XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART-Grey

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good, but what it would look if it had and little computer in his arm. Like predator haves. Maybe it would fit mutons better, as grey ones has psionic ability. And i have to ask, does it have one nibble in the middle of the chest? Looks umm... diffrent ;) . Little odd to look at grey with some clothes on as they run butt naked on X-Com :D

Guest drewid

This makes me grin big style- :D Got my happy artist face on again.

Greys having clothes fits with "real" ufo sightings. They ofter wear silver suits.

Our guys could have the iridescent shiny stuff that the ships will use as an outer skin, which would look great.

"For the more modest Grey, we have many clothing styles to choose from that complement any terran invasion..." :P

I think having a flight suit makes the most sense, with various types of armor depending on the unit. Aliens in scout craft would have just the suit, while aliens from a battleship would have heavier armor. While aliens may not be embarassed by their nudity, they would probably wear some protective garment on earth. If they're from mars, the sun's intensity would possibly be a problem, or maybe they're very allergic to mold or spores we have here that don't exist on their planet, etc. Maybe Greys have small eyes, but wear large goggles to look cool when they're cruisin' for prey!

Guest drewid
"For the more modest Grey, we have many clothing styles to choose from that complement any terran invasion..."  :P

I think having a flight suit makes the most sense, with various types of armor depending on the unit. Aliens in scout craft would have just the suit, while aliens from a battleship would have heavier armor. While aliens may not be embarassed by their nudity, they would probably wear some protective garment on earth. If they're from mars, the sun's intensity would possibly be a problem, or maybe they're very allergic to mold or spores we have here that don't exist on their planet, etc. Maybe Greys have small eyes, but wear large goggles to look cool when they're cruisin' for prey!

Greys being what they are I would think the different professions would be bred for it.

a battleship fighter guy is bred as that, and can't do anything else.

That being the case I wonder if the armour is "clothing" as such. Maybe it is actually grafted onto the skin and is part of the body Borg style.

Grafted on armour would make sense, especially with the greys.

Maybe snakemen should have a 'bone' type armour?

I like the idea of 'arians' as a replacement for mutons. Still make them as hard as black box material but have them looking tall and with long blond hair, maybe with no visible pupil just the white of their eyes and very pale skin would look cool. Their armour could be more 'chrome' like than the other races, maybe even a 'chrome' like form fitting body suit that shows off their musclature or has plates over the main muscle groups to enhance the 'tough' look?

Floaters, how about a retro type look for them. I haven't got much inspriation for them as they aren't really my favourite race.

Etherals would look very cool if they kept the full body cloaks but had a 'red imperial guard' (from starwars) type helm. Long and slender but very menacing.

i think we should make different armor types for all alien races

:idea: like:

grey workers: (suit or naked? only on aliencraft)

grey soldiers: (as above?)

grey technics: (suit and a laptop)

grey commander:

(maybe a bit more armor or a sign on the chest)

I think soldiers would be the ones to acturly have armor. It doesn't make sence as a commander to send units out without armor. Look at starwars. Does the soldiers (AKA storm troopers) have armor? Does the officers have armor?

I thought floaters were inspired a little by Call of Cthuhlu, tentacles on the head type stuff. They could have little wings that aren't strong enough for our gravity, so they have the mechanical device to provide extra lift. HP Lovecraft would definitely fit with a retro feel.

I thought the long thingys on floaters were some kind of tusks or horns. Don't remember anything about the autopsy/interrogation though so if they said tentacles, tentacles they are :D

Guest drewid

I like the proportions on that there "Grey" McBob.

How about trying a chryssallid?

How about something more like "alien" or the spikey "etherial" genesis version?

• 1 month later...

I'm working on a version of the Sectoid right now, based on concept art from a classmate who seems very interested in this project. I'm trying to get him to make more, since I think that it's great stuff. Oh, he did made another sketch for Ion to model from, who, by the way, is yet another classmate.

Ah, the advantages of studying game creation :P .

Edited by Cubik

• 1 month later...

Here's my first draft of the Sectoid (who shouldn't be called Sectoid :P ).

2332 polygons, so there is room for improment. Vast improvements.

And two more things:

1.The face looks.....

2.I'm no character modeller. This is my first serious attempt ever.

post-29-1059424408_thumb.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

Cubik, that "sectoid" looks pretty nice but it shouldn't have so big breasts or muscles in that area :D Also try to make the face a little bit less flat. Edited by j'ordos

• 2 weeks later...
Due to public demand, the Sectoid model has undergone quite alot of modification, it's now 2378 polygons, has a smoother face, less weird chest area and still quite a lot of smoothing problems:

post-29-1060776538_thumb.jpg

Edited by j'ordos

yeah, looks like he can shoot plasma beams out of 'em! Good work though.

Also, the legs should be a bit shorter.

If you haven't already, I suggest making the fingers and toes a solid mass, and we can texture the individual finger lines in there. Most of the time they'll be holding a weapon, and even at max zoom (which I expect will be smaller than these pics) you really can't see that detial anyway. It's your call, but might save you a good number of polys.

That model looks awesome! I agree that the legs should be scaled down to match the arms a little more.

OK, the toes are no problem, those can quickly be redone as a sold mass. The fingers are another thing entirely. Since this model is meant to be used as ufopedia model I think that all fingers should be modeled for added realism. For Battlescape.... I'm not sure. Can we really get away with a solid mass instead of fingers? Maybe a solid mesh for three finger + the tumb?

They look a little weird because they are foursided. I can quickly add a segment under the fingers to get that halfcircle profile that fingers actually has.

Ack, now everyone can see the smoothing problems :P.

Ok,

A is one version. The problem (?) with this one is that it looks constantly pissed of. I don't konw if that is a good or bad thing. I have always pictured the Sectiod as calm and unmoveable.

B is the original.

C is a more asianlooking version. Removed the "pissed-off" expression.

These are just quick renders to check whichever your guys like the best.

post-29-1060792053_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cubik

I'm torn between a and c. I think I'd go for the more evil looking a however. Consider it a sneer, looking down on the pitiful humans...

I've put Cubik in the assetlist for the Sectoid concept at this point. Once the refined model is done I'll post a pic. If anybody else is creating a concept post some shots and I'll include them as well.

Ok, this is two pieces of conecpt art I have been using a guide when I did my version of the sectoid. These where done by one of my classmates in under 45 min time, so they aren't completly correct when it comes to scale and placement:

post-29-1061593776_thumb.jpg

I think the face looks a little too human IMO, I prefer the ones u did but since u worked from these I guess that it aint a problem. The body looks pretty alien and what I expected it to look like tho.

W/ the choices of the different eyes...I'd say C is the best...and the last pic of the sectoid model there should be no nose and the head does look a bit too human...awesome body structure though

• 2 weeks later...