XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Targetting Body Parts

mikker

can't you just aim for the hands of a cryssalid, so they fall off? Edited by j'ordos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What else are you going to aim for, his little toe??

*sound of laser rifle*  *Ouch, that hurt*, it does sting so.  where is that plaster...*

His chest -_-

It's legs... :naughty:

See it drop down, trying desperately to crawl to safety :devillaugh:

It's arms, and no more shooting :D

edit : well, I figured it would be cool in combination with the 'dismemberment', so you can specifically target the limbs you want to see flying off and such :devillaugh: , so I moved this one to the lab...

Edited by j'ordos

u know, that is pretty much what I was thinking, tho I didn't consider actually tryin to take out their specific limbs. That could be really cool, like a new way 2 stun the aliens, shoot their arms and take out their shootin hand :) Or even take out their legs so they can't run after u :devillaugh: Maybe it has a lower probablility than the aimed shot. Edited by Jim69

I'd say you can only do that with an aimed shot, but a shot in the torso would be easier than one in the head (but for your kick-a$$ sniper, one headshot and a result a là the car scene (with the black guy) in Pulp Fiction :uzzi: :explode:

:devillaugh: What I meant was it costs more TU's and less chance of it working 2 aim 4 a specific limb or head shot, obviously each 1 having a set value. IMO a head shot would b the hardest.

It's legs... 

See it drop down, trying desperately to crawl to safety 

It's arms, and no more shooting

hey MIJ... this brings up a good point about our dismemberment... it would make sense if you could shoot at certain limbs... and there is the strategy too...

Well, I'd imagine that they have been gen modified not 2 die of shock, would make sence if the aliens alter other things surely they'd do that? However blood loss is a concern and would be done by critical wounds on the effected area. The severity of the blood loss would effect it. Obviously there would always be critical wounds but the multiplier 4 this would prob be slightly random, and should be worse 4 legs since there are vital arteries and veins there.

But then, shouldn't aliens have some sort of first aid? Or do they simply not care enough about their fellow man... ehhr alien? But they would have medics for a reason, if the only reason of their existence would be to stun humans they wouldn't be called 'medics' :huh:

Very true, they should have a balancer 2 the medikit. Would lengthen out sieges on the UFO I always seem 2 get, with 4 guys standing a little way from the entrance and someone opening the door and running away. I loved sending in a BB to an open door on med scout :D

The original had a variable to determine where the target was hit, as the armor values were different for each body part. Unless you're using a mod that includes snipers, no smart soldier is going to run through a combat zone taking pots shots at alien heads, especially if it's slowing them down (requiring more TUs). They're going to shoot for the upper torso, as years of special forces training has taught them to do. I think adding an option to pick a body part could serve some purposes like capturing a live alien, but I think if you chose to call shots then it's either hit or miss altogether. Normal shots have a better chance to hit, but then the system picks where it lands. Targeting a limb can still kill though, like it's been said, blowing a limb right off causes some trauma.

Edit: Had to step away before I was done... to finish, I say you could do a called shot by cutting accuracy in half, leave the TUs alone though. Aimed shots are what that's for. So you can do an "aimed/called" shot by toggling a button then choosing the aimed shot. The lower accuracy balances the fact you can pick your target.

Edited by Breunor

--Off topic... sorry--

alien med kits.. perhaps they can be used from a distance? you dont have to be right on the guy to use it, maybe line of site deal.... then we get our greedy little paws on it and make a human version...

--on topic--

I say you could do a called shot by cutting accuracy in half, leave the TUs alone though. Aimed shots are what that's for. So you can do an "aimed/called" shot by toggling a button then choosing the aimed shot. The lower accuracy balances the fact you can pick your target.

this sounds a lot like the "aimed" shots in fallout dont you think, that was interesting how it worked, since if you got the right hit (eyes, head) if it didnt kill it affected something, if they got hit to the head their wisdom went down, our effect could be morale? and if you get hit in the eye your accuracy turns to crap.. you could have new guns, like a GOO gun, this is realistic since some swats wanted to use this it shot the equivelant of "great stuff" at a villian and the guy couldnt move he was covered in this hardening sticky foam , but since it had a limited range they decided agianst it.... still this could make capturing aliens a little less risky, i always found it tricky to walk up to a chrysalid with just a stun rod

I think if I got hit in the head with a plasma I would b more than a little demoralised. I'd be more decapitated. Which I would like to see being a sick b@stard :) I like the leavin TU's alone and cutting accuracy idea tho, u could try b thinking "Do I take out the Sectoids right arm so it can't shoot it's gun and I can stun it? But what if it misses? What if it uses the other hand to launch a nade? That would b what I would like 2 c.

Hmmm... I like the idea of aimed shots being the only kind of shot that can target body parts. It should give a lot of justification for aimed shot. I never honestly used that attack, ever.

p.s. Why was Jim demoted? And what happened to all his posts?

Edited by warhamster

p.s. Why was Jim demoted? And what happened to all his posts?

Apparently he's been a bad boy :naughty: Turned into a gambling addict and such :devillaugh:

That's what I was thinking too, only for aimed shots. Maybe those could always be aimed at a certain body part, but you can choose which one. Go for the most hit chances (torso), or the one hit kills shot, but lower hit probability (head), or the disarmament shot (arm),...

IMO this feature would be kind of useless, but if its added u people could look how it done in Jagged Alliance. There u could aim for torso and head (other are imo less important). Then u could use ur TU`s to specify how accurate shot will be.

I beg 2 differ. I think takin out someones leg could be VERY useful in a battle. Especially if u want em alive :)

Oh yeah...

Hi. My names Jim. I'm a Gambling addict. I gambled all my post counts and won, and the thrill was SO addictive I HAD 2 go again :boohoo:

I also c that Raven has joined the depravity :o

Edited by Jim69

IMO this feature would be kind of useless, but if its added u people could look how it done in Jagged Alliance. There u could aim for torso and head (other are imo less important). Then u could use ur TU`s to specify how accurate shot will be.

I can't say I really understand what you mean. I've never played that game before. But I'm kinda resistant to the idea of adjusting TU's with regards to aiming for specific areas of the body. True that realistically speaking it's harder to aim for someone's arms, but the whole system might just get slightly too tedious that way. I say for simplicity, avoid changing TU consumption.

The JA2 system was, that you could target several spots of the body: the head, torso, and legs. While headshots did the most damage, they were also the hardest to pull off, so less chance to hit. But you could also select how much time units you wanted to invest in that shot, basically something like xcom, snap shot and aimed shot but with more gradations, going from practically without aiming, to extremely well aimed shots. I must say I liked that system too, you could also fire a burst by switching autofire mode on, if the weapon supported it, and dependant from what weapon you were firing it fired more or less rounds in one burst.

But I don't think we should change the firing modes for now (although not every weapon firing the same amount of shots in one auto shot would be nice), but rather have the aim for a body part be integral of the aimed shot, and you can choose which one you want to hit. Each shot would take the same amount of TU's but the chance to hit the head would be lower than the chance to hit the torso, for example.

Well, this is the lab I think, so it's gonna b v2 at least. I also prefer the lesser chance of hitting a limb than a head, but the torso is automatically aimed at ne way so it needn't be added IMO.

Bravo.

Hey j'ordos? Do you know what happened to the rest of the posts? Was it just going off topic?

I think we should leave it at random. Even how much you aim, you can still miss the correct body-part. And if you aim so much that you won't miss, you are reaper food. And to pull that of, you are going to aim at quite more then 4 seaconds, too long time to waste just to hit the head, when you instead could just have chopped 5 shots into random bodyparts, and doing the same effect.

Yeah rnd is a given, but there needs 2 be a different modifier multiplied by it. What I mean is that it shouldn't just be completly random or the auto shots would b the same as the aimed shot. Soz if u meant that, but I am pretty wasted right now :beer:

Awesome Idea...I was kinda hoping this subject would come up sooner or later...maybe when you choose to do the aimed shot it can go into a prone (no moving) FPS screen, where you aim at the specific spot you'd like to shoot...accuracy and breathing can vary depending on the veterancy of the soldier...

Hey j'ordos? Do you know what happened to the rest of the posts? Was it just going off topic?

There was no topic with this subject, but you made another thread go off-topic with your post (the first one in this thread), so I split that thread and put this in a separate discussion.

maybe when you choose to do the aimed shot it can go into a prone (no moving) FPS screen, where you aim at the specific spot you'd like to shoot...accuracy and breathing can vary depending on the veterancy of the soldier...

Hmmm... some system like in Dungeon Keeper, you can let the soldier do it's job, or if you think you're better at it you can take over and try it yourself :D

Aimed shots on aliens opens up a whole new kettle of fish... on certain aliens, epsically the ones that were 'designed' rather than evolved, maybe the obvious spots that are vulnerable on people are heavily armoured on the aliens. I think that perhaps after an alien autopsy you should get called shots options. It would make the autopsies a little more useful for the squaddies.

Otherwise, hit locations ought to modify damage. Perhaps if you are fiirig at an alien you have certain percentage chance to hit definable hit locations, the bulk of the percentiles being allocated at the creature's centre mass. Maybe if you hit an alien in a weapon carrying apendage and the hit doesn't kill it it will be unable to fight back...

• 3 months later...
i doubt you would ever need to shooce body parts. every soldier gets the "aim for the head" training. the head is obviusly the best choice, but most ´shots hit the torse, because it is a big target. no need to aim. let the guy do it himself.