XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Astronomy

I mean the sun is actually rotating around the earth with huge speed (I'll probably calculate it later :)). No wonder aliens have come, it is quite unusial. :D

I suggest to nail the sun and rotate earth instead, unless it will cause seasickness on high time compressions of course. And unless it is cheap enough (in terms of speed).

Edited by UnFleshed One

1) Xenocide is not an astronomy applet, it is a sci-fi strategy game, anything can happen, you can even see cheese coming out of wormholes :P

2) Release 489 is just a basic Planet View simulation. And it is quite old by the way. The Programming Department has worked very hard in order to develop many features and to fix various problems with the Planetview, so just be a bit patient

3) Can you even IMAGINE a rotating earth in genocide?! "Hey, wait for me, I wanna stare a bit above Europe, don't go around like crazy!". You have to control and view the Planet, you can't have IT control you! :P :wink1:

4) Just wait, and thou shalt admire the progress of the game

1) There is nothing unusual about that :)

2) Same thing in last codebase too.

3) Yep, I can :). But camera must be on geostationar orbit :P. The only problem is that moving stars may cause seasickness :)

4) Least we forget. © Somebody have to say it or it could go unnoticed.

Of course don't misunderstand me, it's a great thing that you've noticed that! I just think we buzz the programming department too much, although a Programming recruit could find such an issue as an opportunity to show some good work (and probably get a project member status later on :P)

Indeed, on geostationary orbit, the "point of view"/satellite stays "just above ground". But then, imagine the skybox going around like crazy :P. The Earth just can't move, and stars should probably stay still.

A solution to this would be a tiny "selection box" in the graphics/planetview options: "Moving skybox" :P :wink1:

Guest Azrael
3) Yep, I can :). But camera must be on geostationar orbit :P. The only problem is that moving stars may cause seasickness :)

Ugh, I remember that discussion... In my opinion the moving skybox doesn't cause any seasickness and it simply looks awesome, haven't heard from anyone actually getting nausea from looking at it anyway.

well, it is called motion sickness, which is essentially sea sickness just instead of felling the movement but not seeing it you see it but not feel it. Many people can get massive motion sickness from watching a game as the units move. Believe me, my sister got sick playing Halo a while back

no, she doesn't even know this exists

what i meant was if you can see the background moving and stare at it, you can get motion sickness

perhaps there could be an option for that

It is very difficult for someone to get motion sickness just by looking at the skybox while he moves it with the mouse. If he does, then he probably gets motion sickness just by staring at a highway full of fast-moving cars or something :P

We are talking about a skybox (or worse a globe) that moves automatically according to the timeframe. Cause you know, the Earth turns around itself, and it turns around the sun, and the whole solar system turns around the galaxy, and there are even more motions which there is no use to mention now. So, if the globe "turns around" while the camera is at a geostational orbit, then you will see a "stationary" Earth, but a "mobile" skybox. Imagine that skybox at a "1 Day" timeframe... THAT would cause motion sickness. And that's the point of our conversation with the UnFleshed One.

Yeah, and add there the blinding sun a-la Homeworld 2, which will make your screen flash. Left side, right side, left side, right side, left side, right side... That would be truly psicodelic experience. Well, one can always disable skybox at 1 day or make it blury.

Actually, I think the galaxy is rotating as well...

*Hmmph*

I like the current version better, I have to say. I don't need some über realistic skybox in order to enojy the game. The skybox is pretty minor, and if it started rotating, it would be too much of a distraction from the globe. Beside the motion sickness.

If I am not mistaken, the sun goes around with velocity about 0.3% C ( speed of light). :) Now, who will calculate earth's mass? (Do not forget to check if it should collapse and turn into a black hole.)

Now, I am no good in 3D, but does anybody know if it is possible to get rid of this shiny spot, wich seems to move along when you shift the camera?

if you want me to give you how many times the earth must shrink to become a black hole then... only an extremely rough estimate, just from diameter 1 to diameter 2 it would need to be about 1/506880000 of its original size. Don't remember how i got that though, i might have used 8000 miles in diameter though.

1/506880000 of earth's original size is approximately 1 inch across, btw

Yeah, first one calculated radius of the earth, second -- radius of the sun... But the question is: how heavy must be the earth in order to capture the sun (moving with velocity 0.3% C) in its current orbit (1 AU aka 149597870 km)?...

My calculations show that earth should be only 1000 times heavier (2.3 E+27 kg). That means it have to be 9 meters to collapse (I took kafros's results), so it won't. That's a pity.

Edit: unless of course I forgot couple degrees here and there, wich is very likely...

PS

Aren't we bit off topic? :D

Edited by UnFleshed One