XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What A Friendly Grenade Can Do ^^

ErikLarsson

Ok, so im going to a terror mission, just starting. An Alien is at the other side of my ship so i try a common tactic.

1. Guy A gets into a good position to nade him.

2. Gal B primes and throws the nade at Guy A's feet

3. Guy A picks up the nade and throws it again.

Simple as cake.

The problem was, the grenade missed, and landed UNREACHABLE!

post-840-1224785695_thumb.png

The aftermath:

post-840-1224785712_thumb.png

The guy moved up the wing to try to pick it up, worthless ofcourse.

The 3 remaining guys obviously panicked or berserked, one killing a civilian.

The rest panicked until they got shot, so i had not control whatsoever left.

-710 in score.

2 days later, end of month, campain lost.

All this in a matter of minutes, and i was actually doing well on Superhuman. Im like ^_^ this i Xcom, lovin' it! ROFL

And we always think friendly fire is bad, but misthrown friendly grenades can be worse! LOL

I make it a point to put my men in locations where there isn't an opportunity for a misthrown grenade to end up somewhere where you can't get to it anymore. The big one is always the landing struts of your craft in Enemy Unknown, but as you found out, TFTD craft also have some unreachable locations. Looks like you just cut the corner too close there. The guy next to him would have been better off throwing the grenade as the corner wouldn't get in the way. As always though, the only perfect science is hindsight and if you could go back and do it all over I'm sure that mistake would not be made again. :D

- Zombie

The guy next to him didn't have grenades...

Use the grenade relay. Toss the primed grenade to the guy standing to his right and have that guy pick up the grenade and toss it outside the craft. Or if the original guy had enough TU, walk him to the door and then toss out the grenade. I'm always leery of throwing primed grenades with a low ceiling and prefer to get out in the open for the toss. :D

- Zombie

I think I probably would have reloaded after your disastrous mission. Talk about a total bloodbath. Not only that, but since the mission was a utter failure, the points drain was enough to make you lose the campaign. (You must have had a previous bad month, no? Normally you don't get clubbed with only a single bad month). Of course, you could have just dusted off before the grenade went off to cut the losses, but here again, hindsight. ^_^

- Zombie

OMG of course i could just have dusted off! ROFL

I guess i thought the troops inside had a chance for survival or something, that mistake made me think irrational :)

And it was an iron man game, so of course no reload. Putting your whole campain at risk like that is what Iron man game is all about, so great and makes for lots of suspension.

And yeah, the month before i failed a terror mission so my points where low, but if success this mission (i had plasma rifles and pulsers now) i would have been ok.

Edited by ErikLarsson

• 7 months later...

i hate to be the first to point it out,

but my god... that's just hilarious LMAO

if you had dusted off you will have failed the terror miserably & probably still got yanked,

but here, you lost your whole crew, your ship & your game with one grenade LOL

I had a Thermo Shok Bomb launched into my ship during a terror mission. It was my first turn, I walked out 1 step, then an alien reaction fired the shok bomb into my triton. I was sleeping with the fishes the next moment. LUCKILY, I've saved before going out.