XCOMUFO & Xenocide

ART- CLOAK: Concepts

To date the CT has them evolving from an extinct species of squid from millions of years ago. But if they evolved from an invertebrate to have bones, then the shape can be pretty different as well. The elongated skull reminds me of the tubular body that squids have however.

Those pictures of skulls are awesome! :rock: Perfect material for making the aliens from. Perhaps we could get permission to use those pics as a background shot for the alien origins CT in the X-Net? It's very believable evidence that the aliens had been here before.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think as long as we include the copyright we should be OK. This guy lives in Mexico, I don't know if we would be able to get in contact with him, plus I don't speak Spanish or know anyone who would speak their version of it :crying: Edited by Jim69

We've got several forum members who speak Spanish and livei n Mexico. We could ask them to email the guy.

Really? Cool, if someone can read the site then they are welcome to try and get in contact with him, I can't even find an email address altho that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Here it is.

I PM'ed him asking him nicely if he could send a little email to that address for me, so I guess we will know when he comes online. Hopefully they will let us use the images, coz they look really genuine and could add that "WTF is THAT?" element to the X.Net.

Doesn't RK speak the Argentinian form of Spanish? Maybe if I sent it to him he could do a simplified version that would be understandable to all Spanish speaking countries. Worth a try, could be a pain in the arse understanding what they write back but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

Hey Micah, RK speaks Spanish :D Sorry couldn't resist.

Jim I hate to be pedantic but the site is written in Italian not Spanish. The domain is .it as well :)

Anyway, with allthe discussion going on about the etheral and making them into 'coneheads', I've updated my concept to show that. I've also pulled in some of the other comments about him being too muscluar/well fed.

The skulls as a side point are going to be a bit difficult just to put into the game as is, looking at the structure of it its clear that it is a deformed human skull whic will look a little daft if its supposed to represent an alien species.

While I think its a great idea to have a skeletal picture I think it would be better if we base it off our model rather than using a real world picture that doesn't sit quite right with our model. I hope that makes sense. As an example using my concept here basically strip off the flesh and stuff which would leave just the skeleton. Its not that much work to do it but I think the best thing for us to do is concntrate on getting the concepts finished so we can move onto modelling, then we can worry about this stuff :)

post-29-1064565210_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deimos

Well, it still needs to have some semblance of a body, even if it is withered up. As it is it looks fairly "big headed" already IMO. But here's a quick cut 'n paste :D :

1.jpg

Deimos patterned the head after the popular idea of the conehead skulls that Jim pulled out. I think making the eth like Breunor's pic makes it look... comical maybe? That's making the head TOO bug, I guess.

I have to say that while falling to sleep last night, images of Deimos' latest ethereal contept kept coming to mind :) I guess that is a good sign.

Nice detail with those blood veins, too.

It's not quite a Conehead yet, I think we are safe :ph34r:

Breunor's head looks a good size IMO, I think if we add to it anymore it will start to look like the Coneheads and noone wants Dan Akroyd in a cloak forcing you to drop a nade in your ship :) I think the body is just about right as far as withered is concerned, it looks like there is no way it could support that head which is what we want IMO. I also have an idea that the head should look like it is really healthy in contrast to a really veiny body ( maybe the veins could be purple or something like that ).

Well, I think the concept of etherials is that they are in the process of losing their physical bodies completely, so all their bodyparts would look atrophied and useless, imo the only organ that actually works is the brain.

It has been scientifically proven that evolution doesn't work that way. The races with genetic mutations that enhanse the species live whereas ones that are left behind or have crippling genetic mutations are killed off. That is where the phrase survival of the fittest comes from, and I don't see how having eyes whatever size or shape fits into this. If anything the ones with bigger eyes would have lived on because they may not have been able to harness their mental powers in their natural habitat and so they would have been useful to look out for predators.

Yes, but etherials have been seperated from "normal" evoloution for quite some time, they have been genetically modifying themselves for millenia. And with genetic modification usually comes deteroriation at some point.

Almost done. Final additions are the catarachised eye and of course the closed withered eye. Now I consider it finished. Ok I could go on tweaking and tweaking but I won't.

I would argue against Rhyos' point though as regardless of whether its seen once or a thousand times in the game it has to be right.

Sorry Micah for giving ya nightmares ;)

post-29-1064648435_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deimos

It's the high-poly version. And it has 18161 poly's.

No nurbs... ^_^

And this is the low-poly version with 4324 poly's.

Etheral2.jpg

Edited by Crix Dorius

That's pretty much what I envisioned for the body of the etheral, myself. Excellent work, Crix.

The sketch in my book has much longer limbs as an attempt to steer away from terrestrial mummy sort of looks- but the effect of that, as in the original xcom, is mixed.

You are a highly talented individual, Crix.

Hehe, when I first saw your model I thought it was a real picture of a mummy for a concept inspiration! That is awesome looking work Crix, top notch.

Uhhh... Allways this headache... *scratch his head*

Now... I think it's good so.

What do you thi... DIE !!!

Huuuu... ? :blink:

What I want to say is... DIE !!! TERRAN SCUM !!!

What the...?!? :blink:

M-my hand's... what ?

He... he is... Oh my g...

TERRAN SCUM. RESISTANCE IS SENSELESS. YOU ALL WILL DIE !!!

AND WHERE IS MY *PIEEEEEP* ROBE !?!

Etheral_Body.jpg

Edited by Crix Dorius