XCOMUFO & Xenocide

What X-com Game Would You Like Seeing A Remake Of?

Guest Azrael Strife

How did I know you were going to say that? :D

Why remake the better games? I voted for TFTD. It could really use a modern facelift, and if it were done correctly, it would actually be fun to wage war underwater. Drowning anyone? ;)

- Zombie

Apocolypse

1) It is the most in depth game

2) It is the most complicated, and is the best if you want a tough, in depth game... it had way more stuff than the other two xcom's and therefore it is more fun

3) There was a LOT of stuff left out or incomplete, and a remake that would go through and fix or add in all of those things would probably make the game 100x better

• 2 weeks later...

Apoc becoz it had lots of stuff left unfinished.

TFTD was fine in my opinion, there wasn't much to improve there (you can always introduce new things, true, but as far as improving and fixing go, I think the CE is pretty neat).

There's tons of potential stuff in Apoc, and so many left unfinished, it hurts.

PS: Damn die hard UFO fans give Apoc a fighting chance :(

I guess I have a soft spot for the classics. I'd love to see a facelift of the original UFO (enhanced artwork reminicient of the original, same basic battlescape interface with a few tweaks etc.)

So much of that game that worked, worked well. Although that interview about Dave Ellis made me think perhaps some combination of UFO, and the features meant to have gone into Genesis would have rocked. Supposedly it would have been the best of both worlds - being able to fight on land and underwater too.

Guest Azrael
I guess I have a soft spot for the classics.  I'd love to see a facelift of the original UFO (enhanced artwork reminicient of the original, same basic battlescape interface with a few tweaks etc.)

So much of that game that worked, worked well.  Although that interview about Dave Ellis made me think perhaps some combination of UFO, and the features meant to have gone into Genesis would have rocked.  Supposedly it would have been the best of both worlds - being able to fight on land and underwater too.

In addition to the real time mode which would've made UFO finally cool :D (IMHO)

I would LOVE a fusion of Apoc and the original UFO. Cool aerial battles, diplomacy, aliens dropping monsters to terrorize the Earth, raiding other organizations, using explosives to detonate other objects, attacking the aliens on their own ground (a Mars campaign anyone?), etc.

And most importantly, real time. To me, that's the most important feature that I'd want to see. Another thing would be the aerial battles. I prefer the Apoc air battles to the UFO ones. Much more...interactive/engaging in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised to see how many people want to see a remake of Enemy Unknown. But, in my opinion, it's an absolutely self-sufficient game.

I think, Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep are great games, but it's hard to say what they actually can get from the remake. New modern graphics? More craft and equipment? Improved AI? That's probably all.

New graphics will impress for first 2 hours, and then you won't really care about it, taking into consideration the depth of gameplay. Just as after 2 hours of playing the orginal games you get used to old graphics and don't care about it as well. As for "stuff" - EU and TftD don't have tons of different items, but those that they have are pretty well balanced, so there's use for almost all of them. With a hundred new weapons/craft added you'll most likely end up really using only 5% of it, so that's not a big deal. Better AI is always nice. Though I find playing EU and TftD interesting enough, despite dumb Aliens (they're dangerous nevertheless).

But the game that needs a remake badly is X-Com:Apocalypse, no doubt. An endless sea of possible things to improve. Finish the economical and social model of the city. Make Alien actions more strategic. Make some kind of resource system for Aliens, make their city be more like a working city, which will let you wage a real strategic war with them, rather than simply complete a linear siquence of missions.

An X-Com game to remake: Apocalypse. It's the game that will benefit from remake much more than the others.

Edited by Bullet-Tooth Tony

UFO Defense with eye-searing, ultra high-res next-gen visuals...and every bit of the original's gameplay left well enough alone. Minus the game crashes. My life's dream. =b

As for Apocalypse - yes, it's a great game and deserves some merit. One only hopes to see a 100-percent complete version someday... And I have to agree: of any of the X-Com games, Apoc is the one in greatest need of a remake. It had lots of great ideas that just weren't given sufficent time to fully realize. A new economy, improved political system, and the real pre-requisite: non-cartoony aliens - now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Both UFO and Apoc need some more attention laid on them, but they're both like apples and oranges. Great in their own ways, so to speak. On one hand, UFO's slower, more methodical turn-based combat offered some sweet, visceral, in-your-face fighting and a creepy atmosphere, while Apoc was just plain fun to watch in motion. I think modern developers should go back and take notes...

Edited by The Master Maniac

• 6 months later...
Enemy unknown. Keyboard shortcuts, and an easy way to adjust how soldiers are pre-equipped, since that's the only part of the game I hate. The most important thing of course, is the AI. Someday I hope to fear floater snipers on the rooftops, and piss my pants when a pair of chryssalids pop out of nowhere, and maybe even lose a man to a celatid... The first game was SO good! Why not make it perfect?

I'm getting these errors when seeing this thread:

IPB WARNING [2] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() (Line: 1605 of /sources/action_public/topics.php)
IPB WARNING [2] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() (Line: 1614 of /sources/action_public/topics.php)
IPB WARNING [2] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() (Line: 1605 of /sources/action_public/topics.php)
IPB WARNING [2] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() (Line: 1614 of /sources/action_public/topics.php)

Micah? Mindstormmaster?

It appears the poll choices are corrupted somehow. The other polls around the site work fine, so this may just be a fluke. :wink1:

- Zombie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Apocalypse - it has -so many- great things that are barely/poorly implemented

better ufo assaults, better turn based games (levels are much, much too big for instance, especially the ufos), improved factions (so that if you bomb nutrivend into big minus, they CANT get a swarm of cars to defend their bases with 4 mil in debt >_<)

UFO only lacks saveable soldier equiping (<3 xcomutil) and choice of their places in the craft (why are my first three rows the psi rookies with nothing but psiamps!? >_<)

:x

I'd have to say Apoc. As already said here, there's a lot of half-coded stuff which could have made for a lot cooler play. For instance, the whole tracker gun thing, and capturing leaders of infiltrated organizations and such? *shakes his head in wonder*

Also, a lot of commands would benefit from being mapped to different keys...for instance, ever tried to press ENTER or BACKSPACE, and accidentally hit \ instead?

Automatically drops whatever's in the selected agent's left hand. Kinda sucks when you had an expensive piece of equipment there, or worse, a primed explosive.

Never happened to me, wasn't even aware of the hotkeys, besides space for time pause, iirc.

There are lots of keyboard commands for the game. Try experimenting with them. Some commands, like the ctrl, alt, shift and J keys need to be held down to operate. For example, hold down shift and click anywhere on the map to order all selected units to attack that location. Holding down J and clicking past a ledge gets units to jump down. Works in both TB and RT modes. Or control (or was it alt?) can be used to add waypoints to your walk path (you can see this in the overhead map - which is TAB, by the way). Soldier disposition and stance settings can also be controlled by the keyboard. PgUp and PgDn for the stance (or am I confusing this with JA2?). Time settings can be controlled through the number keys, F1-F6 select squads, F7 - F9, um, I think they controlled the disposition settings. Need to doublecheck these last two. And so on and so forth. Oh, and Ctrl is very useful in the cityscape soldier equip screen. It allows you to select multiple units for simultaneous equipping (a must-have if you go through toxigun rounds).

From what I recall, a lot of these aren't even listed or explained well in the manual, so you'll need to experiment and figure them all out. They all really come in handy.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

That's right. I was confusing it with JA2's stance controls.

I really must spend some time playing this game again. Must remember to map out all the keys this time.

- NKF

Apocalypse control notes:

"F1-F6 select squads"

Wrong. 1-6 select squads, not the F-keys.

The only annoying thing is that pressing the respective team key instantly makes you center on the first man/woman/robot/bug eyed freak of the team

F1 does nothing I could discern

F2-4 are for shot modes (Aimed, snap, auto)

F5-8 are for movement modes (Kneel, prone, walk, run)

didn't test the rest :x

And I sincerely recommend everyone to play Apocalypse, if only to get a break from EU/TFTD

pressing ctrl and then clicking anywhere adds waypoints (best visible on the overhead map

pressing shift and clicking is forced fire, ideal for tunneling

:x *hides in a hole for contradicting nkf*

No problem. I haven't properly played Apocalypse for so long that I've muddled the controls up with other games.

It's odd how you can also use waypoints in the cityscape, and you can even add waypoints to an existing path in between the attack or move-to commands (but not completing it). Pity you can't create a loop so that you can get ships to patrol a certain area. Or can you? I've never been able to work this out myself.

---

Back to the original topic, I think a remake of a combo of UFO and TFTD would be grand. With a starting option between playing a continuous game from UFO to TFTD or to jump right into TFTD. Playing continously should offer some benefits, like a carryover of some funds and stores of old technology that need some retrofitting for underwater use. Troops shouldn't be carried over, as there is indeed a considerable gap in time between the two games. Blah blah blah and so on and so forth.

A remake of Apocalypse - or rather, completing the original game would be even better.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

I wish for a mix of UFO/TFTD and elements of Apoc

insofar as you're not confined to "one" city, but instead one by one purge the megacities (as the background fluff said that there were several others built) - each with its own companies and some spillover ones (like MarSec, TranStellar and Solmine)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see (UFO + TFTD) x Apoc

UFO:ET looks damned good, folks. It looks like a perfect X-Com "clone" including all the things we loved best like base building, global control, random soldiers, research, etc... plus it's set in a futuristic space colonization scenario... it has the old UFO models updated with decent gfx (very nice screen of the medium scout on the site), plus the tanks have drivers and they can be other things besides tanks... looks like it will be the closest thing ever to a remake of UFO with even more variety. The devs mention destructible terrain but I haven't seen it yet. Aside from that (which I will take with a grain of salt but hope for the best), the screens look exactly what you would imagine a GOOD X-Com game to be like with modern graphics.

http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/

Look closely at those screenshots. You'll see snakemen, ethereals, HWPs with human driver faces as icons, humans "equipped" with HWPs, landing craft loading out with 2-3 HWPS and a number of squaddies, base facility building, craft customization, research screen, manufacture, base invasions, TUs (APs), Health, Morale, and pictures of MEDIUM AND LARGE SCOUTS STRAIGHT OUT OF UFO/X-COM 1/EU (circular now, but still complete with power source and navigation), etc. There are several other alien races shown including cybernetic monsters.

The Gollops don't appear to be involved, and the organization isn't X-Com, it's CAF; but the game has X-Com written all over it (much more so than all the other "laser squad"-type games out there).

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to agree with most here. Apoc left me frustrated and times(research)not to mention bored. Did anyone ever figure out what triggers your troops getting medals and for what?

TO be honest, I'd love to see all 3 games refreshed and brought to the forefront again. Basically just polish up the graphics in the first two aside from a couple tweaks like troop deployment in the skyranger, and your all set. Apoc for needing to be truly completed and smoothed out both graphically and mechanically.

ufo-extraterrestrials looks great...is there anyone who isnt totally sold on it?

Is anyone interested about the xenocide project anymore?

ufo-extraterrestrials looks great...is there anyone who isnt totally sold on it?

Azrael, he wants real time

Yeah, well atleast I am, even if ufo et is exactly like xcom I'll still want to play xenocide, every game is diffrent in more then one way, and im sure many others feel the same.

Edited by Darkhomb

Azreal, he wants real time

Yeah, well atleast I am, even if ufo et is exactly like xcom I'll still want to play xenocide, every game is diffrent in more then one way, and im sure many others feel the same.

Good. It was starting to look like xenocide was running low on interest. At least a couple people still want them to succeed.

I would say more to alot of people are busy right now and when school is over there will be alot more progress made.

Thats good to know. I certainly would like to see them succeed in their work. UFO:ET looks like it'll fly well, and maybe that'll act as a spark for more progress.