XCOMUFO & Xenocide

black screen after opening "movie"

trbochrg

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me. I have the DOS version of X-com and i am trying to play it on an older laptop running windows 98. I am able to install the game and get the opening "movie" to run, but then it just goes to a black screen and i am unable to do anything. Any advice?

thanks,

Joe

Edited by trbochrg

It's hard to say what might be causing it to crash, as it can be any number of things.

Have you tried pressing any keys? If this happens, try typing "mode 80" and hit enter. If this restores your screen back standard 80x25 text console with the command prompt, then game has crashed but didn't reset the screen. This means that intro.exe and black.exe (the program that blacks the screen) are running fine but the geoscape is crashing.

Did you run the setup program to adjust your soundcard when you installed the game? One thing I'd recommend trying (and was often the cause of errors back in ye olde days) is to disable your sound card settings in the setup program completely and see if the game runs then.

- NKF

• 1 month later...

Hi all-

I'm having somewhat of the same problem. I've recently downloaded x-com ufo defense on two computers, 1 being a desktop running windows XP and 1 laptop running windows Vista. The desktop running XP runs it great! But the laptop running vista does NOT show the opening movie, just a blank screen. I can hear the sound from the intro but can't see anything until hitting space and cntrl+alt+del and that seems to "unfreeze" the screen then I can play on a windowed mode but not full screen. Any suggestions for this problem I'm having?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh and also if any explanations come can you please word them in laments terms? I'm not VERY technical savvy. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Might be something to do with the laptop. I know my current XP laptop doesn't like to run some of the older dos programs in full-screen. It just freezes the program completely. Even when run under dosbox, but will otherwise run fine in windowed mode.

- NKF

Hi all-

I'm having somewhat of the same problem. I've recently downloaded x-com ufo defense on two computers, 1 being a desktop running windows XP and 1 laptop running windows Vista. The desktop running XP runs it great! But the laptop running vista does NOT show the opening movie, just a blank screen. I can hear the sound from the intro but can't see anything until hitting space and cntrl+alt+del and that seems to "unfreeze" the screen then I can play on a windowed mode but not full screen. Any suggestions for this problem I'm having?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh and also if any explanations come can you please word them in laments terms? I'm not VERY technical savvy. :(

My guess is that it's a Vista problem, not hardware. Have you tried BladeFireLight's Vista X-COM Patch? ;)

- Zombie