XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Getting UFO EU to run in DosBox

Morpheus

Hello,

after experiencing the My-fighters-won't-attack-the-UFO-Bug in every game I tried, I rummaged in the depts of my olf games collection and found the UFO CD from 1993.

How can I get this game running in DosBox 0.73?

What I did so far:

Installed it from the CD. Everything went fine, Installation finished and I set the sounds. At the end it says "creating batch file". Problem is, this batch file (Ufo.bat) is empty. 0 Kb, not a single letter. There was a file called dcofu.bat (ufocd.bat only backwards). Upon starting it, I saw the loading stuff with Dos4GW.exe etc and then blackness. DosBox completely crashed

Next try, copied the contents of the cd into a folder on my HD.

Went into the folder (inside DosBox) ran setup, but the sound.cfg file wasn't created. Another problem is, I don't have a .bat file in this folder.

Anyone got any ideas? I want to play the game past May at least once :-(

Can you give us a directory listing of what's on your CD? I'm not overly familiar with the original 93 CD release (just later budget releases - which are all 1.4), but it's possible we may be able to do a manual install.

- NKF

Ok, these folders (all in capital letters)

Extras (with the subfolders Bootdisc, Demos, Dostext, Mouse, Univesa)

Game_1 to Game_10

Geodata

Geograph

Harddisk

Maps

Missdat

Routes

Runexe

Sound

Terrain

Ufo2exe(contains the tactical.exe)

Ufoexe(contains the geoscape.exe)

Ufograph

Ufointro

Units

On the cd itself are the following files:

cd.rom

cdspeed.exe

Dos4gw.exe

hdinst.bat

install.dat

install.exe

install.gif

intro.exe

mpscopy.exe

mpslabs.idx

pkunzjr.com

readme.txt

setup.exe

ufocd.001

This is it

Try looking in the harddisk directory. If it's the same as TFTD, that should include the full hard disk installation for the game.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

The harddisk directory contains these files:

install.dat

install.exe

install.gif

mpscopy.exe

mpslabs.idx

pkunzjr.com

readme.txt

ufo_14.001

so, basically the same files that are in the main with the exception of the last file

Edited by Morpheus

You might want to run the install program in that directory a go and see how it works. Actually there's a hdinst.bat file in the main directory that should run the harddisk installation as well.

Don't worry, we'll get the game installed somehow. Actually getting it to run will be another task. ;)

With the current installation of your copy of the game at the moment, can you verify that the following directories were created and that they are populated. No need to list the files, just check that the files with their corresponding directories on the CD are there.

Game_1 through to Game_10

Geodata

Geograph

Maps

Misdata

Routes

Runexe

Sound

Terrain

Ufo2exe

Ufoexe

Ufograph

Ufointro

Units

Game_1 through Game_10 and Misdata may contain a lone file called dum.bin - which is just a dummy file to ensure that the folders were created. All instances of that file can be safely removed if you want to tidy them up.

The main game directory should contain the following files:

Dos4gw.exe

Intro.exe

Readme.txt

Setup.exe

Sound.cfg

Mvol.cfg

Ufo.Bat

Sound.cfg and Mvol.cfg may or may not exist but should appear once you've run setup to set your soundcard settings. Ufo.bat may actually be replaced with a variety of other batch files. The cd version has at least two - ufo.bat and ufocd.bat if memory serves, with ufo.bat just containing a line that calls ufocd.bat along with the drive letter of your cd-rom.

- NKF

Edited by NKF

At the risk of butting in, you must manually run the install through DOSBox (not a command prompt or double clicking on the install executable). I can't stress this enough, otherwise the sound configuration file will probably not be created and the game will not run. At least, that's what I remember when I tried to install the game a while back. ;)

- Zombie

Edited by Zombie

At the risk of butting in, you must manually run the install through DOSBox (not a command prompt or double clicking on the install executable). I can't stress this enough, otherwise the sound configuration file will probably not be created and the game will not run. At least, that's what I remember when I tried to install the game a while back. ;)

- Zombie

Did that. As I said in my first post, my computer crashes when I try the installation in windows.

Opened DosBox, mounted CD, installed and tried to play, but the UFO.bat is empty