XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Translation Taskforce?

Guest Azrael Strife

Guest Azrael
I've noticed there are several people offering to start translating the game. RS and Dipstick over the Proofreading Taskforce have done a great job looking and correcting the files, I believe the task is not over yet, but there must be some files that can at least be considered final. Wouldn't it be a good idea to start organising people to translate the files we got, so we dont have to do them all at the same time?, I don't know, there seem to be people very eager to start translating, I would like to translate to spanish, I've seen dutch, german, french, at least maybe we should keep a record of who can translate into what. Perhaps we're not even close to start translating, just a thought.

Az

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we use CEGUI, then all the captions can be put in the XML files IIRC, so those can be translated after producing, too.

Just to put a dampener on things, but we at the proof reading TF have only read through things thus far (correct me if I am wrong RS! :D) and made recommendations, and excepting basic errors, left things alone. Then, it is up to the senior members (I guess....) and maybe the occassional poll or two for our recommendations to be upheld as the good thing to do, or sent to the depths of h ell. After that, we will actually do the necessary changes, and finally you lot can translate it :D

It sounds a long winded process, but I don't want to be burnt at the stake for changing something I wasn't supposed to :D

i proof-read the newspaper this morning ^_^

all the pretty colours[color="green"].....[/color].[color="red"]....[/color]

edit.... oh, you know we're going to be burnt at the stake regardless Dipstick :D Edited by RustedSoul

oi! Dipstick's doing a great job :D

on a completely unrelated matter, the proofreading task force needs someone who can speak Klingon ;) Edited by RustedSoul

Actually Dipstick, we were trusting in the task force to proof it all, and for you to stamp your approval on each one as ready for the next alpha release. The big thing was grammar and spelling, and then the related entries. I feel comfortable with your decisions on meshing them together. I should be able to get back into things here shortly (programming delays at work are delaying my tasks as well, so it's dragging out) and officially OK stuff, but even if there are minor tweaks later on the translators can make those tweaks as well. I don't see us rewriting entire texts at this point.

For those interested in translating, please contact Dipstick via PM with what your strongest language is, and he can get you added to the task force. Then a seperate thread can be made for taking finished entries and converting them. Others who are fluent in that language will then have a chance to proof your conversion just to be thorough. If we need some help with coordinating this, give me a little time and I'll help out with that. By next week I can get something laid out, OK?

Now I just KNEW I shouldn't have posted here :D

I panic when I see PMs about subjects that I barely know about :D

Anyhow, I can proofread french too, although not as good as english.

Also, going back to the original proof reading, I have recommended rewrites or severe alterations for some texts thus far, so I will refer those to the senior members. I will continue as I have been going so far, and for any minor changes I will confer with my good friend RS! :D

Sound good?

Also, how many languages are we translating to? Or is it a case of however many we can get?

Hey Dipstick, so if you have 2 categories- reviewed&OK, and reviewed/revised, then we could have a thread for each category, the first thread for translators to get started on, and the latter for seniors to discuss how to handle it. If the 'senate' doesn't want to convene on those items, I can be the Caesar and make the needed changes for things to fit...

Guest Azrael
[quote name='Tsereve' date='Aug 27 2004, 10:09 PM']I'll help!  I can translate from english to chinese, dutch, french, german, greek, italian, japanese, korean, portugese, russian, and/or spanish.  Am i in?
[right][post="92100"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

whoa!, all that? great, just stay away from the spanish :D

right, spoken with that ct murdering sod Dipstick ;), all the wheels are in motion.

on a side note:
Anyone who signs up for translations and is caught using a Google and/or a webpage translator equivalent will be assigned the task of learning and translating into indigenous Australian AKA Aboriginal, after you've mastered that, you will then have the choice between Eskimo and Cherokee. In other words, please don't do it. This should go without saying, but i wanted to make sure something was said about it. ^_^

Guest Azrael
You're right, web translations are not reliable, we need people who really know how to use the lenguage :D
Is there going to be a forum for this? so that we can see each other's progress? Edited by Azrael151

Umm, would you like to take this outside RS? :D

This will be the thread for sign-up, and after the english proofreading has been completed I will then think about the logistics of the multilingual proofreading.

I will post in a min on behalf of anyone who has Pmed me.

i can translate to portuguese (portugal). i'll only use an automated translator if there's technical terms i can't figure how to translate :P
i can also do some english proofreading, if you still need anyone.

[quote name='RustedSoul' date='Aug 28 2004, 01:00 AM']right, spoken with that ct murdering sod Dipstick ;), all the wheels are in motion.

on a side note:
Anyone who signs up for translations and is caught using a Google and/or a webpage translator equivalent will be assigned the task of learning and translating into indigenous Australian AKA Aboriginal, after you've mastered that, you will then have the choice between Eskimo and Cherokee. In other words, please don't do it. This should go without saying, but i wanted to make sure something was said about it.  ^_^
[right][post="92112"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

nevermind, then. :unsure:

Rudimentary French? Edited by Tsereve

[quote name='dipstick' date='Aug 29 2004, 03:05 AM']Umm, would you like to take this outside RS? :D
[right][post="92146"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

nah m8 :D just giving you a bit of friendly ribbing, besides, i umm.. have some err.. shrapnel.. yes that's it.. sharpnel in my keyboard from bf nam :P

[quote name='SupSuper' date='Aug 29 2004, 03:34 AM']i can translate to portuguese (portugal). i'll only use an automated translator if there's technical terms i can't figure how to translate
[right][post="92149"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i can't see any major problems with that, though some will probably come up. just try and make sure that the end result is as accurate as humanly possible :D

[quote name='Tsereve' date='Aug 29 2004, 10:07 AM']nevermind, then.

Rudimentary French?
[right][post="92197"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
tee hee, gotcha :P

^_^ it will probably need to be better than that, but that's not up to me to decide

just on that note, we had a few French members awhile ago, such as Syntax, but most of them are probably not active anymore Edited by RustedSoul

[quote name='dipstick' date='Aug 28 2004, 07:05 PM'][...] I will post in a min on behalf of anyone who has Pmed me.
[right][post="92146"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Aren't you going to put a list here with that info?

*waves*

I'm a newcomer to the forum, but not to the Xenocide game; been tracking it for a few years.

Anyway, if you want, I can translate into French and Hebrew. *grins* Not that there's probably anyone else here who speaks Hebrew...

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I've been following the forum for some time, and just noticed this thread.
Finally something I can do :D
I can translate into Hebrew, so that makes two of us, unbelievable as it is *grin*

Well, as it seems hebrew is in demand, I guess we will have to give the people what they want.

Az - be patient, I am trying to get through 20 hrs of work, and college AND THEN do the remainder of my allotted stuff, but for some reason the computer did not save some of my changes to the CTD pieces, so I have to redo them. *sigh*

• 3 months later...