XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com Ufo Defence Runs Too Fast

kvn8907

A few weeks ago, I got some sort of patch for X-COM UFO Defence that slowed it down to its regular speed, from going at about 30 minutes a second when set on 5 seconds to 5 seconds a second when set on 5 seconds. However, yesterday I had to reboot the computer, and though I saved the game saves and installation file I got from the internet and re-installed the game, I don't remember what the patch was called, or even where I got it from except it was from some forum that said the patch used to have an error regarding scientists, but that error was fixed now. So now, I'm back to one of the problems I had when I first started playing the game, with game speed troubles. I think that's the only trouble I have, since I have the ldr_XCOM1 patch, the sound and intro video is fine, and though I used to have troubles with random crashes until I got a patch, I havn't been able to play the game long enough since yesterday to know if that problem's reappeared too. Turbo has no effect on the game at any percent speed, and Mo'Slo Delux quits before the program could even start. I was wondering, first if anyone knew of a patch which makes the game progress at a normal speed, or failing that (likely, since if I can't even remember much about it, what I've said is all I remember, and the only way I can think of of finding it is if someone here has heard of and/or used the patch before), a way to get UFO Defence to run at a normal speed again.

Oops. Man is my face red :( . I solved the problem before even 10 people viewed the post.

You see, before I rebooted my computer, I saved everything in my Downloads folder to a CD. As a shot in the dark, I decided to simply go through the files and see if any were the one I was talking about. Whatdaya know, one was a WinRAR file titled "ufoeuet_2005_03_28", containing a registry edit program, an about and install readme, plus a "UFO Defense" and "ufoeuet" file. I followed the install instructions, and when I loaded X-COM, it was running at its normal 5 second intervals. Baring any trouble with sudden crashes (God forbid), the game should probably run fine now.

Sorry I didn't check through my Downloads folder before posting. Granted, still don't remember where I got it from, but now, I don't really care. Wish me luck with X-COM :).

• 2 weeks later...
hey how did you slow it down im not computer wiz so can you step by step it for me i have the windows version but its way to fast!!!!

I was going to say you could message me your e-mail address, but then I decided to try to uplad it to http://www.fileul.com. However, that website's having some internal server problems lately, so back to plan A.

joker1080, message me your e-mail address. I'll message you mine so you can add me (and my message doesn't get blocked my any spam filters your e-mail website might have), then I'll send you the ufoeuet_2005_03_28 file. It comes with instuctions on how to use it, and if you follow them you shouldn't have a speed problem with UFO Defence anymore.

• 1 year later...
please bud... could you send me the patch? I'd like to have that but the URL you posted is quite broken...

Yeah, I've gotten the same trouble on another forum, where I used the site to upload the full version of "Operation: Inner Space", but it seems that fileul.com is down. Pity too, because I got a few dozen downloads for that file, if I remember correctly. Does anyone here know another good site where I could upload the patch so others could download it from a link?

StrategyCore has a great selection of patches and fixes for the X-COM series in it's Files Section. You are welcome to upload it there if you want. :)

- Zombie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Also as long as you get the latest copy of Dosbox, that handles the game speed quite well on faster computers in this day and age. The patch originally discussed here is probably 7 years old now, Dosbox's ability to handle the X-Com games has improved a lot over that time.

- NKF

Edited by NKF