XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Submit Your Fluff Texts

Guest Azrael Strife

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Azrael,

which CTs still don´t have fluff texts? I would like to try some of them...

Greetings,

Late Mr.Douglas

None for the moment, though I'd like some suggestions for Laser Cannon, the one in the text seems... irrelevant.

Hello Azrael,

which CTs still don´t have fluff texts? I would like to try some of them...

Greetings,

Late Mr.Douglas

None for the moment, though I'd like some suggestions for Laser Cannon, the one in the text seems... irrelevant.

Azrael,

I tried to see the Laser Cannon text in the CTD Asset List, but it didn´t work... I guess the link is wrong! I couldn´t see the thread neither.

Azrael,

I tried to see the Laser Cannon text in the CTD Asset List, but it didn´t work... I guess the link is wrong! I couldn´t see the thread neither.

Hi Late Mr.Douglas!

I've seen some of your comments around the Creative Text forums- keep up the nice work!

As for the Laser Cannon text, it's currently up for "proofreading" (along with several other entries) and has been temporarily moved elsewhere. Don't worry though, it hasn't disappeared, and it shall return before long.

On the asset list, green (complete) entries have links to both the text and the thread, blue (assigned) entries only have links to the thread, and red (unassigned) entries... well, they don't really have much, but there exists a possibility that the list is slightly out of date.

Cheers!

-Asty

p.s. Here's the pre-proofread Laser Cannon text if you want to start thinking about fluff stuff. :)

Despite the successes of the rail-cannon and the Titan and Sidewinder missiles, they both had major limitations. The cannon had extremely short range and limited accuracy, rendering it ineffective against medium and large UFOs. And both of the missile systems had low firing rates, and could carry very little ammunition, while the missiles themselves were expensive and bulky, requiring large amounts of storage space.

After designing more and more powerful lasers, x-corps scientists realized that laser systems were becoming effective enough to be practical in air to air combat due to their superb armor piercing capabilities. A powerful enough lasers would effectively have more ammo than a cannon, be more powerful than a Sidewinder, and would be as accurate as a one without the need for guidance systems, primarily because there is no need to lead the shot. "it's like shooting fish in a barrel compared to the old cannon system" says Jim Lumbeck, a pilot.

One feature that was used in previous designs but proves most effective in heavy laser weaponry is the diamond lense focus system. In smaller laser weapons the change in size of the beam is negligible. On a larger laser, these diamond lenses are needed to focus the laser beam to pierce heat resistant UFO armor, and the radius of the laser can vary up to 5 centimeters. The system can also adjust for attack at different ranges.

The laser cannon stores hydrogen in a similar way to the Titan and Sidewinder missiles, however, rather than burning the hydrogen the laser cannon uses a stack of fuel cells to directly produce electricity from the hydrogen. The electricity is then fed to the capacitors which eventually discharge and the lasers fire (see laser concept). In field trials, the laser cannon has been able to burn 10cm holes through 15cm steel plates with only a 25th of a second burst, and depending on the length of the burst, holes up to a meter wide have been burned out of steel. "Dr. Sklodowska locked herself in the lab for three days after word came back about what happened in Krakow, you know, just after that new guy from the RAF missed that big ship. Then this morning, I wake up with a hole a meter in diameter in the wall next to my bed. I could see clear to Hanger 1 through it!"- the base captain

x-corps pilots and maintenance crews alike can't wait to install this new weapon system on all x-corps fighter craft. However, there have been complaints from x-com operatives. "First they make a laser more powerful than my gun, then they tell me I can't use it, what's the deal with that anyway?" -Sam Dodge

Edited by Astyanax

Better than X-Crap :P

Don't get what you mean by the asset list, links don't change when we move things around here in the forums.

Edit, I see the problem, you clicked on the name itself rather than the "thread" link. The name links are meant for retrieval of files, but as we are proofreading, all links leading to the files themselves are down, specially since I'm restructuring the asset list based on proofreadings. Always click on "thread" to get the latest edition. The name links will become useful once we're done with proofreading.

Edited by Azrael

Laser Cannon:

"NOTICE: Laser weaponry is NOT to be used for food preparation."

- Base memo posted outside of the Mess Hall (might work for "Laser Weapons Systems," too.)

"Our Laser Cannons are NOT TOYS, and here in the X-CORPS, we DO NOT use them to melt sand in the deserts of NEW MEXICO!! IS THAT UNDERSTOOD?!"

- Reprimand of two X-Corps pilot trainees after reports of "Alien glass symbols" surfaced

"Now THAT'S a flashlight!"

- X-Corps pilots at the Laser Cannon's first field test

I'm trying to get the ball rolling with my Psi-Lab entry, so help me out!

"man: Hey Eileen, I haven't seen you in...

woman: Six months. In the Psi Lab. No, I'm not free for dinner. See ya, Bob.

man: ...

man: Friggin' mind benders!"

- Conversation heard just outside the Psi Lab

"man: Zero?! ZERO?!! Ya stupid pencilneck! Whaddaya mean my friggin' Psi potential is ZERO?! Why, I oughtta...

scientist: It means this... (concentrates a moment)

scientist: Now squaddie, go steal the commander's uniform and burn it in the mess hall. Don't interrupt my research further.

man: Yes, master."

- excerpt from a Psi-Lab tape for an investigation into [squaddie]'s recent discharge from the X-Corps

EDIT- Also, we could use some ideas for Smoke Grenades and Laser Rifles. Thanks!

Edited by Astyanax

Azrael,

Hi Late Mr.Douglas!

I've seen some of your comments around the Creative Text forums- keep up the nice work!

As for the Laser Cannon text, it's currently up for "proofreading" (along with several other entries) and has been temporarily moved elsewhere. Don't worry though, it hasn't disappeared, and it shall return before long.

On the asset list, green (complete) entries have links to both the text and the thread, blue (assigned) entries only have links to the thread, and red (unassigned) entries... well, they don't really have much, but there exists a possibility that the list is slightly out of date.

Cheers!

-Asty

Hello Asty,

thanks for the commendation! I´m trying my best to help...

As for the Laser Cannon text, thanks for posting it! I´m already working on the fluff, but it´s difficult to pick the right words. You know, it´s not my native language... I´ll try to finish it tomorrow.

Better than X-Crap :P

Edit, I see the problem, you clicked on the name itself rather than the "thread" link. The name links are meant for retrieval of files, but as we are proofreading, all links leading to the files themselves are down, specially since I'm restructuring the asset list based on proofreadings. Always click on "thread" to get the latest edition. The name links will become useful once we're done with proofreading.

Azrael, I clicked on the name, but also clicked in the "thread" link! Both are not working... Thanks for the information!

Hello again!

Please read my comments in bold...

Regards,

Late Mr.Douglas

Laser Cannon:

"NOTICE: Laser weaponry is NOT to be used for food preparation."

- Base memo posted outside of the Mess Hall (might work for "Laser Weapons Systems," too.)

Sorry, didn´t like that. Who´s gonna use a laser cannon to warm food? Godzilla?

"Our Laser Cannons are NOT TOYS, and here in the X-CORPS, we DO NOT use them to melt sand in the deserts of NEW MEXICO!!  IS THAT UNDERSTOOD?!"

- Reprimand of two X-Corps pilot trainees after reports of "Alien glass symbols" surfaced

This is good.

IMO, the best of the 3. But could you wait just a little for my fluff?

I'm trying to get the ball rolling with my Psi-Lab entry, so help me out!

"man: Hey Eileen, I haven't seen you in...

woman: Six months.  In the Psi Lab.  No, I'm not free for dinner.  See ya, Bob.

man: ...

man: Friggin' mind benders!"

- Conversation heard just outside the Psi Lab

This one is excelent! Good job!

"man: Zero?!  ZERO?!!  Ya stupid pencilneck!  Whaddaya mean my friggin' Psi potential is ZERO?!  Why, I oughtta...

scientist: It means this...  (concentrates a moment)

scientist: Now squaddie, go steal the commander's uniform and burn it in the mess hall.  Don't interrupt my research further.

man: Yes, master."

- excerpt from a Psi-Lab tape for an investigation into [squaddie]'s recent discharge from the X-Corps

Good one too!

EDIT- Also, we could use some ideas for Smoke Grenades and Laser Rifles.  Thanks!

I´ll try these too! Just give some time, it´s carnival over here!  :banger:

Thanks for the feedback, LMD! =b I'm looking forward to reading your rough fluff stuff! Ok, it probably won't be rough, but I'm in a capricious mood today.

And if anyone else wants to contribute, we have enough fun for everyone! Here at the CTD carnival, we want you to write fluff for the:

Smoke Grenade

Laser Rifle

Laser Cannon

Plasma Rifle

Plasma Cannon

and the plain Cannon.

C'mon, I know there are people out there just burning to write little fluff quotes- the more the merrier! This is your chance to shine!

Edited by Astyanax

Smoke Grenade

Laser Rifle

Laser Cannon

Plasma Rifle

Plasma Cannon

and the plain Cannon.

Smoke Grenade:

Private Jerkins: "Man have I been dying for a smoke since I got here. Good thing I smuggled in these cigarette!"

*Sargey Bargey bursts through the door*

Sargey Bargey: "What in the SAM heck is that smell and all this smoke!?!?!"

Private Jerkins: "UMMMM, accidental Smoke Grenade discharge, SIR!!! I was just tryin to put it out before it consumed the whole facility!"

Sargey Bargey: "By goley you're a HERO!"

*Feel free to edit in any way desired (i.e. I know there aren't supposed to be drug references LOL)

More to come.

EDIT: see next post by me

Edited by JakeDrake

Good thing I smuggled this 'cigarette' inside my rectum!"
This is not appropriate, try something like: Good thing is that I managed to smuggle some cigarretes, I almost get caugh by the Security Clearance Team. (Just make it funny)

Greetings

Red Knight

Wooooah, After rereading my post I conclude that I must have been in a very weird mood when I wrote that. Was I drunk or something? WTF

Anyway it was compltely inappropriate so I'm sorry bout that, I edited it to something that is at least plausible (the first one OBVIOUSLY wasn't, wow).

Again sorry.

Well, it's better now than it was before, JakeDrake. :D Thanks for editing it.

Once again, the uproarious carnival for fluff and merriment seeks a single, white fem... er, wait... seeks avid individuals with unparalleled creativity to craft witty excerpts for the imaginative texts here in the CTD.

We aim to please, so today we're offering an assortment of delectables to choose from!

Fluff quotes are still needed for:

Smoke Grenade

Laser Rifle

Laser Cannon (craft-mounted)

Plasma Rifle

Plasma Cannon (craft-mounted)

Cannon (a craft-mounted railgun)

Please do not feel shy- we here in Creative Text don't laugh at other people. Actually, we don't laugh much at all, so try your humor against our impassive stone faces, and if you can help us rediscover the true joy of laughter, you might just win the prize (inclusion in the X-Net entry)!

Anyway, here are a couple more attempts from me.

Laser Rifle:

"I hafta admit, firin' laser beams took some gettin' used to. I mean, y' press th' trigger- click! - an' suddenly you've got Alien flambe. Lost my appetite afte' that one... well, fer a few minutes, at least."

- Private Gabby "Big Belly" Gottlieb

"A gun with no recoil? Yeah, right. I bet the next thing you're going to tell me is, 'we're fighting a big mysterious Alien threat using our newly-discovered, oh-so-convenient laser technology.' Sheesh, I can't believe how gullible some people are!"

- new recruit and skeptic, Miguel Sonada

Edited by Astyanax

you forgot your own fluff :P

let's see...

laser rifle -

"Laser rifles are so accurate, that you could use them for eye surgery. Well, if it wasn't for the fact that the beam would go THROUGH the eye and the rest of the head..."

might need to be refined though.

you forgot your own fluff :P

Well, I was hoping for more ideas- I don't like mine that much.

By the way, that's a pretty good one, mikker. Hm, maybe I could retool the "Alien flambe" one for the plasma rifle, and relegate the skeptic one to an unmentioned "laser weapons theory" CT and make yours the laser rifle fluff? After all, we can't let good fluff go to waste, can we? :)

Laser Rifle (are the revisions ok?)

"Laser rifles are so precise that you could use them for eye surgery. Well, except the fact that the beam would go through the eye, the head, and half of the back wall..."

- Dr. Gabrielle Fitzpatrick, Head of Laser Weapons Development

Plasma Rifle

"I hafta admit, firin' great gobs of green energy took some gettin' used to. I mean, y' press th' trigger- click! - an' suddenly you've got Alien flambe. Lost my appetite afte' that one... well, fer a few minutes, at least."

- Private Gabby "Big Belly" Gottlieb

Laser Weapons Theory

"Guns with no recoil? Yeah, right. I bet the next thing you're going to tell me is, 'we're fighting a big mysterious Alien threat using our newly-discovered, oh-so-convenient laser technology.' Sheesh, I can't believe how gullible some people are!"

- new recruit and skeptic, Miguel Sonada

Cannon

"Sure, the [Cannon] can't hold a candle to the rate-of-fire of the old Vulcan cannons, but at least you've got a weapon that doesn't run out of ammo after five friggin' seconds! And with seven times the kinetic energy, to boot!"

- Joel Llewellyn, Aircraft Supply & Maintenance Engineer

Edited by Astyanax

revisions fine :)

well, that leaves smokenade, plus the laser and plasma cannons.

Although i do like the flashlight fluff, i'd vote for that.

Hmmm....

Plasma cannon - "Who cares if it gussles up more Xenium then i can carry, i want to bring it into battle!" ~ Unsatisfied soldier (idea leading to the plasma X-Caps)

edit: i know it's similar to my previus fluff for the laser cannon, but if that one is getting scrapped, it doesn't matter, right?

Edited by mikker

Well, that's two votes for the flashlight, so I guess it passes muster?

Laser Cannon:

And piggybacking on your idea, mikker, how's this sound? (changed because as far as I know, Xenium is only used in the construction of the plasma cannon, not for reloading it)

Plasma Cannon:

pilot: I don't care if it needs the friggin' Sun to power it- I want this big baddie the next time I go up!

woman (whispering): Say, Nell, do you think Gunther's overcompensating for something?

- overheard near the [Hangar]

Edited by Astyanax

Currently, in the US (don't know about other countries at the moment), there are many, many somewhat offensive, in-your-face commercials regarding "natural male enhancement" and such. =p

The "woman" is making a subtle stab at "Gunther's" masculinity (plus his wording, "go up" can have Freudian implications). Maybe it's too obscure or too racy; I'll consider removing it after a few more comments pop up.

Edited by Astyanax

smoke grenade

"you know, those smoke granades looks awfull much like the soda cans we have back at base. Sure, it was pretty wierd when we tried to use the soda cans in battle, but imagine the unlucky guy who put an armed smoke granade inside his mouth."

Again, needs refinement. It's hard to write fluffs for boring stuff.

What about a fluff about politics? :Brickwall:

Edited by mikker

Hm, how's this?

Smoke Grenade:

"Man, am I the only one who thinks these smoke-nades kinda look like nice cold beers?"

"..."

"Yo, Chambers, c'mere! Ya wanna beer?"

- overheard in the Barracks

Private Willinsky: "I'd lost this bet, so I was sneakin' into the General Stores to snag a bit of Xenium- some fellas think it's good luck or somethin'- and suddenly Sarge is right behind me! Man, I almost freaked out, but I was prepared: I lit a smoke-nade and high-tailed my way outta there. I'm glad Sarge couldn't see me in the dark..."

Sargeant Peeper: "What's that you were saying, PRIVATE?"

Private Willinsky: "Crap! Any of you guys got a smoke-nade?"

-exchange overheard in the Barracks

Edited by Astyanax

Alien Base:

"All your base are belong to us"

- Annoying Grey.

It's bad I know, but I'm seeing the clip! and it's freaking good.

I'm sure most of you know it :) http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf

Good grief, what have I wrought?! :OhBrother:

And on-topic: I'll weed through the phase 1 texts to see which ones might be good candidates for new fluff.

Edited by Astyanax

Alien Base:

"All your base are belong to us"

- Annoying Grey.

It's bad I know, but I'm seeing the clip! and it's freaking good.

I'm sure most of you know it :) http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf

Good grief, what have I wrought?! :OhBrother:

And on-topic: I'll weed through the phase 1 texts to see which ones might be good candidates for new fluff.

Keep talking like that to me and you'll have no chance to survive make your time :P

Edited by Azrael

Come one, come all, ladies and gentlemen!

It's once again open-season for idle fluffs! And for the carnival's festivities today, I shall start presenting to you the mysterious, the comprehensive, the vastly multi-hued and fruity Master List of required fluffs!

I have pored over the Phase 1 texts, and I have determined that the following are in dire need of fluff:

Plasma Pistol Clip

Plasma Rifle Clip

Over the next several weeks, I'll reveal more of the mysterious Master List of creative texts that might be due for fluff replacement, so be sure to stay tuned!

C'mon folks, take a plunge into the exhilarating world of creative literary achievement. Write a fluff, not only for me, but for the CTD, for the Xenocide project, and most importantly, yourself!

p.s. An' if y'all're lookin' fo' mo' opshuns, lemme looket whatcha kin 'rite...

(translation: And if you all are looking for more options, let me look at what you can write...)

These fluffs could benefit from some creative competition, so if you have time, spare a few fluffy thoughts for these:

Alien Composites

Alien Grenade

Alien Recreation

Edited by Astyanax

Alien Recreation:

"Hmmm, look, they have a version of X-Com in which you can play as Aliens, weird..."

That would probably be unusuable since I mention X-Com, let's think of another...

Alien Grenade:

- Damn!, there's a lotta them. Trooper, hand me an Alien Grenade.

- A what sir?

- An Alien Grenade... one of those little buggers that look like a fruit.

- ...What do you mean by "looks like", sarge...?

-Alpha Squad, final transmission.

This one was written by I think was The Master Maniac, though I can't exactly who wrote it or where the heck did he post it (I looked for it!), the original was much cooler!

Plasma Riffle clip:

"What? This thing acturly needs ammunition? Well, that explains why we lost second platoon..."

Hey mikker, how's this?

"What do you mean, 'You will need to research a Plasma Rifle Clip in order to use or operate the Plasma Rifle?!' Geez, that explains why we lost second platoon..."

Plasma clip:

Juicy! That's what I call an "explosive" cocktail! ^_^

Alien Grenade:

Private Jones: *Damn, I'm sure I left that alien grenade in the lab!*

Rookie Bob: Heya jones, sup? Geez, I feel sick... That steak I ate in the labs was too spicy...

Private Jones: The "steak"?! WHAT, steak?!

You've guessed right, I'm hungry :D

Grenade (can serve to Alien Grenade too I think)

Rule 11: The purpose of rookies is *not* "To open doors carrying two primed grenades"

-Excerpt from "100 Things Tommy Can't do in X-Corps"

Plasma Rifle/Pistol Clip

Rule 85: Nailing a Plasma Clip to my rifle will not make it "better"

-Exerpt from "100 Things Tommy Can't do in X-Corps"

Alien Entertainment

Rule 87: I may not attach my PS2 to the Alien Entertainment.

-Exerpt from "100 Things Tommy Can't do in X-Corps"

:Leek:

Plasma Pistol Clip:

"I don't know why you're calling it a plasma pistol. I've seen the specs- there's more power in one of its clips than five HEAP* tank rounds..."

- Captain Allison Anderson to Dr. Koji Iida

* HEAP: High Explosive Armor Piercing (need the gun folks to check this fluff, though)

Plasma Rifle Clip:

"Y'know, it's pretty hard to get used to these new clips: the radioactive symbol makes me pretty nervous..."

- Private Mark Chan

Alien Composites:

"Man, have you scientists looked at that slimy, crusty stuff we brought back from our last UFO mission?

"Slimy? Crusty?! Those Alien Composites are absolutely beautiful!"

"Geez Dr. Koch, no wonder your love life's in the dumps!"

- Conversation overheard in the Mess Hall

Alien Grenade:

"Rule #1: Explosives and humans tissues do not mix well. Rule #2: Alien explosives and human tissues are an even worse combo."

- X-Corps drill sergeant

Alien Recreation:

"What? You mean them buggers do things besides terror missions, abductions, and those awful, awful probings for fun?!"

- Private Joey Santana

EDIT- minor tweaks

Edited by Astyanax