• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a very humbling experience today.

Was proudly showing off the latest Xenocide build to a couple of the developers at work. Expected to get congratulations.

Instead, they just laughed at it.

Then they were kind enough to point me at some youtube clips of the sorts of things they're doing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PDYrcl_i3AA

I feel like a 5 year old who takes his finger painting masterpiece home to show the parents, and then have Dad shows him the Sistine chapel , and says "I painted that."

Then we can show him a beautiful particle system video or even an effective raycasting-raytracing rendering demo on youtube. Even the XNA racing game will do :P

You are making a very nice game. He (whoever he is) is making an interesting physics application. You both can't make an fast and feature-rich particle system (). You are working on something beautiful on your SPARE TIME, as a HOBBY, and you are good at it. If you were paid full time to develop a game, you would do far better and he would probably stare in awe.

To make matters worse, you could both have a look at this video:

And a last one, let's see him code a ragdoll simulation in ASSEMBLY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQ0yRN64v0...feature=related

Don't feel bad by comparing your work to others', you'll always feel you should have done a lot more. That's what I've been feeling for the last 1.5 years at University. Now I know it doesn't really matter, just be happy about what you've managed :)

edit:

A last link that's very beautiful: Box physics demo with the Crytek2 engine :)

Or 5000 explosive barrels in realtime, OMG THAT's some nice rendering ^^

edit2:

Plus what Mad said right below. I totally agree :O

Edited by kafros

That is two different things, he is doing physics only. He isn't making a game. It is very good. But you cannot really compare the two.

Absolutely. Try "playing" that physics demo... It is impressive, true, but if you would've focused on one single aspect of Xenocide, let's say the AI ( to have something that can be as complicated to develop as physics) you could've done awesome stuff as well. It's the broad variety of problems that need solving in Xenocide what makes it so difficult. And thus IMHO no less impressive.

• 4 weeks later...
Mad

Ps.: Hope you have not completely stopped working on Xenocide, but are taking a creative break?

As regards my lack of Xenocide output.

Yes, I haven't done much lately. Truth is, my evil plan is to spend some time on another project (http://icc.starflight3.org/index.php) which has a couple of professional game programmers working on it. I figure if I contribute some useful work there, they may be willing to give me some advise, or at least put me in touch with some domain experts, for how to handle some of the stuff in Xenocide.

Guest Azrael Strife
Mad

Ps.: Hope you have not completely stopped working on Xenocide, but are taking a creative break?

As regards my lack of Xenocide output.

Yes, I haven't done much lately. Truth is, my evil plan is to spend some time on another project (http://icc.starflight3.org/index.php) which has a couple of professional game programmers working on it. I figure if I contribute some useful work there, they may be willing to give me some advise, or at least put me in touch with some domain experts, for how to handle some of the stuff in Xenocide.

The game premise sounds sweet :) a lot like StarControl! Have fun!

Looks like they are also using XNA :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, looks interesting! Thanks for the heads up, dteviot. I'll see if I can get a cheaper copy somewhere. ;)

- Zombie

• 2 weeks later...