XCOMUFO & Xenocide

X-com Sequel?

Guest Azrael Strife

I don't know while that sounds cool, they are just talking about rights to own etc etc.. or am i reading that wrong?

they named quite a lot of old games in there... tribes was a great game as well

Edited by Darkhomb

• 3 weeks later...
Why, Do you think they won't make it because of a rumor post? and why'd you edit out your other post?

The thing is that Irrational wants to fully concentrate on Bioshock , it is getting very close to release (3 months if nothing changes). They were in alpha stage in December, and going from alpha to gold in 6 months will be difficult, and they will have to invest a lot of energy if they want to ship a quality product both in design and (lack of) bugs. IMO they cannot afford a flop now.

Having said that and under the assumption that they really are working on an X-COM game, in my experience such rumors usually have negative effects for developers, alas I couldn't tell you what all of these are, since I'm not a developer. However, I'll point out Fallout 3 as an example, Bethesda would have liked to keep it a secret, but couldn't, and it brought a major hassle to them (not getting into the whole relationship between them and the fans, that's a much larger debate).

Ask yourself this: if Irrational wanted the news out, wouldn't they have done it themselves? I believe that they are simply not ready, and it was not very proffesional of Shacknews to post it as news without asking permission, at least as far as I'm aware.

Hope this explains some things,

Gimli :)

Edited by Gimli

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, UFO: Extraterrestrial actually looks promising but I'm in the lost here, is this suppose to relate to the Xcom series as in a series or is a complete remake. Is it even related to say UFO: Afterlight? or a new beginning to the UFO series.

Furthermore, just wondering why UFO series don't get it's own thread like the Xcom games here do (given their simility to Xcom) or has a sister site equiviliant dedicated to the UFO franchise?

Few words on the Turn Base vs. Real Time problem in X-com continuations.

I think that both modes were poorly inplemented in X-Com 3 - turns in TB mode were too long and RT mode suffered from engine problems, like delayed fog of war removal.

X-com 3 lacked the tension level of Ufo and TFTD, because it's weapon damages were toned down and weapon sounds and screams weren't as sharp as in previous games.

Also, I think that it needed a too much micromanagament for a RT tactical game - a good, realistic and enjoyable RT tactical game should have AI leaders of squads and and soldiers that try to react to orders like real humans, not like chess pawns.

A good example of such RT tactical game is Close Combat.

Edited by Sorrow

Guest Azrael
Ok, UFO: Extraterrestrial actually looks promising but I'm in the lost here, is this suppose to relate to the Xcom series as in a series or is a complete remake. Is it even related to say UFO: Afterlight? or a new beginning to the UFO series.

No relation whatsoever to X-Com or UFO: After****, whole new game.

Furthermore, just wondering why UFO series don't get it's own thread like the Xcom games here do (given their simility to Xcom) or has a sister site equiviliant dedicated to the UFO franchise?

X-Com Fanmade Games subforum, hardly an accurate section name, but X-Com *based* games have threads and subsections there.

UFO Aftermath subforum

UFO Aftershock subforum

And the reason they are not as big as the X-Com ones is because mostly this site is dedicated solely to X-Com (XCOMUFO.com), but to be honest the X-Com sections are never maintained, and there is little interest by the local populace for UFO: After****, if you'd like fan sites dedicated to the UFO series, I'd suggest you go here, they are the largest X-Com / UFO: After**** fan base out there (they are even in UFO: Aftershock's credits and website)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...