XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Xcom 3 Cosmetics - Can We Alter Them?

Aiki-Knight

Hello All,

Is it possible to change certain graphics in XCOM 3? For example, I've always thought it would be cool to have the final disruptor armour be black and grey, rather than blue; blue seems out of place for a special forces unit, while black with grey insignia seems more SWAT/Special Forces-like. I suppose one could say the blue tint to the armor could be the product of being disruptor-powered or something.

What especially bugs me - I admit - is late in the game when I've got agents wearing all disruptor armor, except for Marsec body pieces so they can fly. I of course would love to see the XCOM body armor fly (and it sounds like there's a chance to make that happen). Then at least the late-game XCOM agents wouldn't look a bit clownish in their multi-colored suits of armor.

Is there a way to color the various XCOM agents' battlescape graphics to change the armor? I realize that it would probably be WAY too much work. And one would have to re-color every armor graphic from every angle. But can it be done? Has anyone done it?

Another item I love but would love to change: the powersword. It's super-cool that XCOM agents carry swords and all my best agents do so late in the game. I've even been rushed by the odd skeletoid and arthropod, and had to have an agent draw his powersword and slay. God help me, but I'd love to replace the powersword graphic with a nice, Japanese samurai sword. It wouldn't be necessary in the battlescape, because one can't really see the powersword too well in the agent's hand (at least I can't). But slapping a katana on an agent's back in the equip screen would be sweet.

Are these things do-able, or am I being totally silly?

Anyone thought of anything else that would be cool/fun to change?

Quite possible to pretty much do all you want. Apoc'd for the flying disruptor armour. I think it is midnight editor you can change the images, however I don't think you can change the images ingame(battlescape). However as an extra and easy bonus you can change the powersword graphic in ufopaedia as well to look like a Katana if you want to. Graphic W44 in the UFOpaedia folder, thought that would require good photoshop abilty to pull it off seamlessly. Edited by Sharp

Apoc'd can't really give disruptor armor the flying ability, I haven't figured that out completely yet, all you can do is give the disruptor chest the marsec chest effect, but this also means the armor rating will be changed.

edit: well, you could ofcourse swap the armor ratings too, that might work, haven't tested it though...

the editor for changing xcom apoc graphics (at least some of them) is XED, not the midnight editor.

Edited by j'ordos

the editor for changing xcom apoc graphics (at least some of them) is XED, not the midnight editor.

Whoops, knew it was one of em but had em both uninstalled on me comp. You should be able to change the values of the armour, the rating won't be different on the equip screen in CityScaoe but in Battlescape it will show up.

Well after some testing it appears you CAN give disruptor armor the flying ability with apoc'd.

To do this you need to go to the agent equipment 2 section and set the unknown 2 field for the X-COM Body Shield to 18. Since every armour part has a value for this field (megapol armour parts have 17, marsec 18 and disruptor armour 19) it's quite likely this holds more things than just the flying ability, don't know exactly what though... There's probably another piece of data somewhere in the EXE.

Another slight problem is the disruptor and megapol armours don't have a graphic when flying around, their torso will be 'invisible' while in the air.

This isn't updated in (tactical) savedgames which is why I hadn't noticed before.

Another slight problem is the disruptor and megapol armours don't have a graphic when flying around, their torso will be 'invisible' while in the air.

This isn't updated in (tactical) savedgames which is why I hadn't noticed before.

That's a very good point: I noticed that the agents take a special posture when flying, and realize that this would require a unique "flying" graphic. I imagine that the game is hard-coded such that it would be impossible or extremely difficult to implement a "flying" graphic.

Tell me, everyone: is it me, or does it not seem that disruptor armor should either have flying ability, or there should be another generation of armor to be researched with that ability?

Do you all finish out the alien dimension missions using non-flying agents? It just seems to me that, once the skeletoids start running around on the rooftops of downed UFOs, one simply can't get by without airborne agents. Or do you just carry extra MarSec body units? Or perhaps have just one squad of "jump-troopers"?

i always just have two androids with power sword, devastator, two shields, and a marsec chest plate + full suit of megapol/disrupter armor

First: j'ordos - thank you so much. I will play with Apoc'd and try out making the disruptor armor able to fly. You are simply a genius, and I admire your skills.

Second: Game Rank Graphics

The enlisted ranks (squaddie, squad leader/corporal, and sergeant) are all fine. Their insignia are generally consistent with the arrangement of chevrons i.e. <, <<, <<< in the army. But the officer ranks are all wrong:

Captain: the captain badge looks like a staff-sergeant, not a captain.

Colonel and Commander: I don't like the "skull" badge - it looks like the ranks of some third-rate evil empire, not anti-alien special forces.

I myself would love to change the officer ranks to insignia that are a) accurate, and B) prestigious. I was thinking of either British or American officer insignia, either part-and-parcel replacing the XCOM3 images, or possibly being drawn in the gree-and-white motif of the game.

Does anyone else think this would be cool?

How about these insignia, as a starting-concept preview? Which ones do you like?

post-10109-1153887122_thumb.jpg captain (British army)

post-10109-1153887143_thumb.jpg colonel (British army)

post-10109-1153887179_thumb.jpg commander (British Field Marshal)

post-10109-1153887467_thumb.jpg captain (US army)

post-10109-1153887476_thumb.jpg colonel (US army)

post-10109-1153887495_thumb.jpg commander (US army general)