2 replies to this topic

#1 deanfrz

deanfrz

Sergeant

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 08:08 PM

So I'm playing my first game of Xcom on Superhuman difficulty and since I decided to play "Ironman" I had only one saved game. April rolled around and Mr. Floater came knocking. I did great despite(or possibly because) the fact that half my troops were locked away with all my rocket launchers in a corner of the base due to the ol' door bug (where the halls leading to other sections of the bases are walled in; in case you didnt remember). So as I'm finally beginning to push the jerks back, I have to eat dinner, so I save the game. When I get back, I make some moves, hit endturn and crash to the desktop. I do this several more times before giving up in dispair. Now I'm wondering if, using editors I managed to cheat my way out of the battlescape, would it still be considered "ironman." Cause I'm doing really good and I dont wanna give this game up.
also, does anyone know how I'd "cheat my way out of the battlescape"?

#2 Whitewashed

Whitewashed

Captain

• Forum Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 08:12 PM

I've quit saving in the battlescape in all 3 games since I've found there's always a small chance that something goes wrong there.

#3 stewart

stewart

Programming Department

• [Xenocide Senior Members]
  • 10,529 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 09:57 PM

There are patches and I think XcomUtil fixes the disjoint base bug.

If you design your base right though the dsjoint base bug can be exploited to give you an extra faciltiy whilst maintaining a choke-point. At anyrate if your game exhibits this problem make sure to keep a hangar in the SE corner of the base and you'll never have anything isolated.

Edit: Xcom is known to f-up a lot in battlescape. Save one geoscape game and one battlescape. You can at least replay the battle fro the start if it crashes on you. Replaying from scratch because of a crash I should think is acceptable under IRONMAN rules, afterall it's not YOUR fault if the computer hangs.
Posted Image
I'm starting to like the heavy cannon more and more.