XCOMUFO & Xenocide

An Idea For Intercepting Ufo's..

Heya guys, new here. When i heard about this game, I was totally excited. And have been discussing it with a few of my good friends who are also X Com Fans. Hehe

Anyhow.. my idea..

Well, remember in X Com, when you entered interception phase, you could see a diagram and such of the UFO you're attacking? Well, It's not a huge thing, but what if it showed the damage you are dealing to the UFO? Showing how bad it's getting hammered by your avalanches. haha.

It'd give you a good idea of what you'll see on ground combat, and also shows how badly its damaged, because some interceptions take a while to shoot the bastards down.

But yea, just a small idea that I thought would be handy, and kinda cool.

well, radars have a big problem seeing the craft, and the alloy the crafts are made of are very reflective, so it would be hard to see.

But some sort of estimate would be good. Then you could determine if that large scout has been critically damaged and not worth looking for E115, or was only damaged just enough to crash by taking out the engine or something. Also, I think that damage should be seen in the battlescape without the power source being gone. eg the UFO crashed and landed heavily, but only took out a side of it or something

When you go to the battlescape, you can spend a few turns surveying the site. If it looks like the elerium is burned, you can quickly run away.

Perhaps, instead of making it easier to determine if a UFO has Xenium, UFOs should have Xenium more often. There's no need to have 50 unit pods anymore. A shot down small UFO can now have a range from 0-50 Xenium, depending on how badly it was blown up, and damage in the battleview. (plus a randomiser)

This would make just about every UFO worth raiding. It would be worth raiding for 11, instead of zero, right? :)

Also, a little off topic, but it could be possible to keep track a UFO's elerium supply on the geoview. This can influence the missions it goes on, and how badly it blows up. A UFO may have only a small load for small missions, or it may be completely overloaded, for "good will" missions :devillaugh:, or base construction missions.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Robo Dojo 58' date='May 29 2004, 10:02 PM'](...)
Perhaps, instead of making it easier to determine if a UFO has Xenium, UFOs should have Xenium more often. There's no need to have 50 unit pods anymore. A shot down small UFO can now have a range from 0-50 Xenium, depending on how badly it was blown up, and damage in the battleview. (plus a randomiser)

This would make just about every UFO worth raiding. It would be worth raiding for 11, instead of zero, right? :)
(...)
[right][post="79684"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
:idea: THAT'S an idea definitely worth exploring if I've ever seen one!! :master:

Then again, perhaps just a few breadcrumbs of 6-7 Elerium would barely cover the fuel for the Avenger to get there... :LOL: (not to mention Amno...)
Ah... Lasers... :beer:

I'd keep a few traces in each blown reactor anyway, anywhere between 2-15 would still be beter than nothing :naughty:

[quote name='mikker' date='May 29 2004, 01:10 PM']well, radars have a big problem seeing the craft, and the alloy the crafts are made of are very reflective, so it would be hard to see.
[right][post="79651"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Maybe, then, researching the Hyperwave Decoder (?) will allow you to eavesdrop on the aliens radioing back to base from their craft? or even develop a "hyperwave radar" capable of good-quality scans of enemy UFO's foe damage?
Niether option was in either X-Com game, but might be interesting,

Because they are reflective to light doesn't mean they are reflective to radar waves. In the original xcom, radar had no problem detecting the ufos at all... in fact, the range of the xcom radar in detecting ufos was huge. I would have to say that the UFOS aren't the least bit stealthy. If aircraft can launch, catch and destroy a UFO, I would have to conclude that the aliens have no way of detecting radar signals- and probably don't use that tech... so they probably don't guard against it.

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jul 22 2004, 07:29 PM']Because they are reflective to light doesn't mean they are reflective to radar waves.  In the original xcom, radar had no problem detecting the ufos at all... in fact, the range of the xcom radar in detecting ufos was huge.  I would have to say that the UFOS aren't the least bit stealthy.  If aircraft can launch, catch and destroy a UFO, I would have to conclude that the aliens have no way of detecting radar signals- and probably don't use that tech... so they probably don't guard against it.
[right][post="84426"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Very interesting idea, but they could also discover that we use it extensively, and bring out new types of stealthier UFOs later on... Then the HWD would be mandatory... :D

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jul 28 2004, 03:49 PM']The aliens don't seem to research xcom.
[right][post="88869"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
What do you mean?

That they do not research like XCOM so their tech does not improve?
Maybe, but IMO they DO take out the big toys one at a time... Perhaps they'll only use trusted tools until the situation requires to use better ones. You don't usually encounter Battleships and Ethereals in the first week of operation...

Or do you mean that they do not look for your bases?
Cuz they do ^_^

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jul 28 2004, 09:03 PM']Obviously I mean that their technology does not improve.
[right][post="88885"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Right, but as I said, they still don't get the big guns (and meanest aliens) all at once...
It's basically for game balance, but it could also be reasonned that they need to "unfreeze" or bring back from distant stars all their biggest toys one at a time... (Hence, you don't see a battleship on the first day on the job...)

Does this makes any sense? ^_^

Sending in the battleships on their first day wouldn't really be in keepings with their clandestine operations, either. It would make sense only after they start losing ships...

But this still doesn't shed any light on the topic of whether or not the alien craft are detectable by radar. The game mechanics seem to say that yes, they are very radar reflective and are very easy to detect.

[quote name='fux0r666' date='Jul 29 2004, 05:08 PM']Sending in the battleships on their first day wouldn't really be in keepings with their clandestine operations, either.  It would make sense only after they start losing ships...

But this still doesn't shed any light on the topic of whether or not the alien craft are detectable by radar.  The game mechanics seem to say that yes, they are very radar reflective and are very easy to detect.
[right][post="88988"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
It's a possibility, but then they'd be real easy to shoot down from the sky, both the US and Russians have Anti-aircraft missiles going around Mach4 (around 4400+ km/h) that can be fired from 150km and more... and I might add that some misiles can reach U2s in high stratosphere... from the ground...

Hey, why would'nt the missile/plasma/whatever defenses be able to shoot down UFOs that stry too close from our bases?
Oh, yeah, right, we want to keep those hidden... (sigh)
They SHOULD be able to though... I usually LIKE to have my main base attacked...

To get back on topic, isn't the term UFO coined after unknown radar echoes?
ID' say conventional (or a least lightly modified) radars can spot a UFO, but not automatically (like it is in the game), since there are lots of airplanes up there... (Wich could begin to be blown up from the sky by the UFOs at some point btw)
I'd say the UFOs usually don't bother to avoid radars, but once they begin to lose a lot of them, they'd be more careful, possibly improvnig their stealthyness...

:idea: Oh, and UFOs in very low altitude should be Bloody hard to spot from a ground based radar, but a lot easier from planes... It would add a lot more dimensions to patrols...

Keep up the good ideas :D