XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Tftd Grenade Tactic.

Timil

First, buy a lot of grenade.

Second, give 5 grenade by member.

Last, when you go out of your craft, LAUNCH your grenade on all hiding spot!

It work for me.. nearly two alien per turn on the 3 firsts turns... and lot less death.

BUT: Alien does the same.. so attack before they do!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't know about you, but I remember the aliens in TFTD being pretty grenade happy.....

One of my worst memories of this game is the stupid side exit starting ship they give you, makes it impossible during the early game to get LOS on an aliens on the other side of the ship with a soldier who still has enough TU's to shoot what they find back there.....

I remember alot of times, losing my first men who came out of the hatch to a grenade tossed over the ship from an alien who started just on the other side....

My solution to this, of course, was to habitually have one of the first men out of the ship toss a grenade to the other side to wipe out anything hiding back there.....

I would not of developed this habit without cause...

• 1 year later...

-Aliens have usual hiding spots.

-Aliens have usual patrol patterns.

-Aliens usually act in the same way if you do the same thing. For example, if one of your men (or more) is standing at a certain spot, he might get a grenade on his head. If he were standing one/two squares back, the alien would just have walked back for cover (sick, but I know this happens).

• 4 months later...

I've always considered the underwater grenade tossing to be completely ridiculus...

I mean, try to throw something underwater, you'll see what I mean :LOL: :explode:

Then again, TFTD is so much harder compared to XCOM1, YOU NEED GRENADES!!

:hammer:

It's not much harder.  I have more trouble with sectoids and terror disks than with gillmen and deep ones

Of course it's harder, in UFO once you get the big armors, it's rare to see one of your guys die... it'll be either by MC or by Chrysalids... and Flying suits will take care of those...

Besides, Sectoid=Aquatoid, and Cyberdisks = Biodrones, except cyberdisks can't hide in closets!! :explode:

The aliens in TFTD are much tougher in general, and some are even harder to kill than most (Lobsterman, Tassoth...) or impossible to MC (Tentaculat...) and they fly...

Two-parter missions are also unavoidable in TFTD (UFO had only one), and since Amno clips have far less capacity... :crying:

That said, the fact that it is better balanced is what makes a lot more challenge. That is indeed a very good thing, it keeps you on the edge all the time where in UFO it became far too easy when you had a good PSI squad... Leading up to that was the challenge... :D

In TFTD, thou shalt NEVER assume thyself safe... EVER... :o

Ion armour makes you pretty resilient. The game tends to even out by the time you get it and distribute it amongst your troops. Before that however, the game is just one big test of your endurance.

And, thankfully enough, you don't get to see too many Tentaculats except on the most important missions.

Speaking of the original topic regarding grenades:

There is only one TFTD-specific grenade strategy that cannot be used in UFO (well, naturally - you can achieve it by editing some stats). Stacking primed grenades.

Grenades in TFTD can withstand their own explosive power. Sonic Pulser in particular are indestructable until they detonate themselves . So if you're having trouble with an alien that withstands explosives (i.e lobstermen), a continuous series of explosives might just do the trick even if damage is halved.

- NKF

Grenades in TFTD can withstand their own explosive power. Sonic Pulser in particular are indestructable until they detonate themselves . So if you're having trouble with an alien that withstands explosives (i.e lobstermen), a continuous series of explosives might just do the trick even if damage is halved.

- NKF

Right, pretty annoying in UFO how grenades destroy the other ones... in all probability, the would DETONATE teh other ones :naughty:

- NKF

Right, pretty annoying in UFO how grenades destroy the other ones... in all probability, the would DETONATE teh other ones :naughty:

oh, that would be like in Halo. pretty useful too ^_^

most aliens carry a grenade, so if an alien popped up near many corpes, WHOOSH, BIG BOOM! :D

or you could throw two, and one would launch the other away. I do that wil plasma grenades. Throw one, and then throw another just to the side of it, and you can blow it through bends and turns

Hmmmm you're right kinda overkill if we don't need to prime them... Far too easy in fact...

It reminds me of a story I've heard (I think it was on the Darwin Awards), where a collector wanted to see how the interior of a WWII grenade was made... decided to cut it with a circular saw... Do these things make sparks?? Noooooo... they make lots of it, and heat metal too...

Suffice it to say that he won't be opening anything anytime soon...

BTW, did you know that a Grenade is actually a tropical fruit, when personnal little bombs were made ine early WWI, people nicknamed it after the fruit...

:D

did you hear about the judge who was at a trial with some guy becuase the guy had a grenade, and the judge accidentally pulled the pin during the trial, and....

or you could throw two, and one would launch the other away.  I do that wil plasma grenades.  Throw one, and then throw another just to the side of it, and you can blow it through bends and turns

they're also useful for putting turrets wherever you want them ;)

or you could throw two, and one would launch the other away.  I do that wil plasma grenades.  Throw one, and then throw another just to the side of it, and you can blow it through bends and turns

they're also useful for putting turrets wherever you want them ;)

Cool tactics, we'd sure need a bit more realistic explosions... :naughty:

Flinging things, soldiers and aliens around sure would be fun. :LOL:

• 2 months later...
since Amno clips have far less capacity...  :crying:

wouldnt you think theyd have greater capacity? I mean, most of your missions are going to be underwater, right? And since things weigh less underwater, it stands to reason that a soldier could hold more. So why couldn't your idiotic, overpaid scientists think of what a 15-year-old could???

...maybe because the weapons are radically different and the underwater environment forces the use of more complicated (that is, heavier and bulkier) ammo? :hammer: Edited by centurion

...maybe because the weapons are radically different and the underwater environment forces the use of more complicated (that is, heavier and bulkier) ammo?  :hammer:

well for the harpoon weps the sheer size of the ammo compared to that of ground weps limits the amount u cuold carry, altho the point about the wieght is valid

:huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?:

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Right, whatever you guys say.

Yeah, I understand the crappy harpoon-gun might not have much amno, but at least there should be some POISON or EXPLOSIVE darts...

Still, amno is lacking more often in Tftd than in UFO, because guns contain less, and aliens endure more...