XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Boost Your Mc Skill To 100 In One Month

Yoni

I've never seen this posted anywhere so I suppose it's not common knowledge. I always use this trick to quickly boost up my soldiers mc skills. Apparently MC-skills don't need kills to level up, only practice. When you use your MC-skills with succes during a mission, that soldiers mc-skills will immediately receive an according boost to his mc-skill after the battle. The total number added to the skill seems to depend upon the amount of mc-skill used during that mission. But there seems to be a maximum.

Example:

First month of mc training and your best soldier has 25 mc skill. During the next battle you let him jam implant once successfully and after the battle his mc-skill is 26. Instead during that same battle let him jam implant 5 times succesfully and his mc skill after the battle is 29. Let him instead jam implant 50 times succesfully but still after the battle his mc skill will be only 29.

I haven't studied the exact mechanics of this. There's undoubtedly randomness involved. But if you get enough missions during the month you can give your soldiers HUGE mc-skill boosts and STILL receive the MC bonus from the mc-lab at the end of the month. (although it will be smaller because it lowers as your skill gets higher anyway)

This works in xcom 1 too.

EDIT: So the trick is to always toy with the last remaining alien for a while. Keep jam implanting and mind controlling him for a few turns, until all your MC-soldiers have had enough succesfull attacks.

:D

Edited by Yoni

• 2 weeks later...
Err... That's called training BTW. ;) You can do the same thing with accuracy, TUs, stamina, strength, reactions... Just use the skills so they will raise.

Once you've got some skill at using the M.C disrupter, you can reassign the trainging slot in the Lab to someone else and then do a bit of training to bring your skill up the rest of the way. This makes full use of the limited lab slots. Although, you might want to dedicate a slot or two for the more elite psionic units.

Instead of doing it at the end of the mission, you could drop down by an alien colony, mind control a tasoth or tentaculat, toy with them in the safety of the ship and then dust off. You'll get M.C Skill and a chance at boosting the other stats that successful psionic attacks raise (namely TU, stamina and health). If you brought the alien in the ship and it's armed, you'll get to keep all of its equipment. Best of all, as a colony remains after you evacuate, you can do this as often as you want.

It needn't be thought of as cheating. You are putting in a lot of effort and taking a huge risk at accelerating your training.

Note that as you raise the skill to 100, it gets harder and harder to get a decent stat boost after a mission. So while you may get 0 - 8 skill points after only a few successful attacks when you're a novice (note: Only successful attacks count, failed attempts do not), you're going to need to perform a heck of a lot more attacks to get the same boost as you reach 100. But then again, it's so much easier to get a successful attack once you're fairly skilled, so this needn't be a problem. :)

- NKF

In the beginning of the game I was always waiting months and months till my mc skills got somewhere. It took quite a while before I noticed they raised with usage. And when I noticed that, and noticed that the bonuses were HIGH (you don't get your firing accuracy or tu's up to their max in one month :D) I thought I had found the holy grail. Now look what you did saying everybody knows! you made me feel silly :P

I didn't know tu's and such raised from mc attacks too. I thought all other skills raised only with kills together with their usage.

Haha, if I land my ship at an alien base it might be my crew who ends up being mc'd by them. :D The aliens don't seem to take visibility radius as an argument when they use mind control. :(

It's rumored they 'remember' your location, so if your soldier gets MCed at particular square just move him. If he's already MCed then you can stun him, and then revive somewhere else. Ofcourse if you have enough room in your transport. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Molecular Control/Mind Control, I think. It lets yout to control aliens. You need to research Alien Terrorist, M.C. Reader & Tasoth to get it. Edited by Extralucas

Can't Really say for sure tho... Sometimes you can move him away and the aliens forget the guy's location. Other times the aliens will MC your guys turn after turn after turn (even if the guy was NEVER out of the Triton). I don' t really know how they MC your guys, or if they can MC anyone they want - but the rule of thumb is: If your guy gets MC attacked, drop all his eq and send him back to the ship. Usually works for me. Still... Only 2 of my guys are MC resistant, and I had to tackle this aquatoid VL USO mission. What a a pain :cussing:

On the bright side, if the aliens are using their psionics a lot, you'll find it so much easier to surprise their commanders or leaders since they won't have full TU bars (or in some cases, they won't have any TUs left), which also means less reaction fire.

Psionic weaklings aren't useless. They're MC sponges. :)

- NKF

Protect your guys from MC by using dye grenades. It takes a long time for them to build up, but if you drop one in the triton on the first turn, you can save alot of trouble.

Also, any high explosive or incendiary round will provide good smoke cover. And it'll kill the aliens at the same time. ^_^

Just to let you know, Robo Dojo(I think[i seem to be saying that alot lately]) has a thing that shows what improves which stats

I think that would also include me.

For example, if someone comes and says 'Low strength? Carry more!' I'd come right in and say,'No! Go light and score more hits (not kills, hits)'! Well, words to that effect in three or four pages, and maybe with working examples and random tips that have nothing to do with the original topic. :)

- NKF

• 9 months later...
Err... That's called training BTW. ;) You can do the same thing with accuracy, TUs, stamina, strength, reactions... Just use the skills so they will raise.

This was in UFO 1

In TFTD You need to HIT something, otherwise nothing is trained. You don't need to make the kill. MC counts as a hit.

also, the attack determines what will be trained.

successful shooting improves shooting skill, stamina, TU's,health and strength

successful throwing improves throwing skill, stamina, TU's,health and strength

successful MC improves MC skill, stamina, TU's,health and strength.

The only way to train reactions is opportunity fire.

The only way to train bravery is to become panicked (or MCed) and survive. - but who want's to keep a soldier that is vulnerable to MC.

However, one might be able to make a super-soldier with 70 or 80 bravery by killing an entire sqad to panic him :-)

Rather wasteful ... unless you've got one too many very high ranking psi-sponges. :)

Actually, regarding experience, that's exactly how it works in UFO as well. The 'hit' being the most common denominator. There's general hits that include bullets and area effect weapons, then there's melee hits (thermal tazer and vibroblades) and finally there's psi hits. Reactions does double duty as it helps with general hits in addition to all the stats that it can raise by itself. Then there's panicking, which raise all the general stats as well in addition to giving that soldier a minor edge when the game has to decide who in the current squad to promote - don't ask me why, it doesn't make any logial sense to me either.

Throwing accuracy is about the only one that doesnt' require a hit. Just throw things at random and it'll go up.

- NKF

I never got more than +6 increase for MC Skill after a battle in TFTD.

But I was usually saving after killing and stunning every alien, save and finish the game.

The increase is randomly given after finishing the battle, so if you're unhappy with the increases you get, you can always try again

Edited by dan2

• 3 weeks later...

It very well could be. But a hit and a throw are still stored separately, even in TFTD.

Nevertheless, how many times did you throw stuff and what was your throwing skill level at the time?

- NKF

edit: Hang on. There's an easier way to solve this mystery. Time to switch on my ancient PC and fire up a new game of TFTD!

Right, I instantly got a real sap with only 50 throwing accuracy. Piled up a few dart guns and clips and sent him off solo to the first crash site. After a few turns of abusing the dart guns and their clips by tossing them all around the Triton, I dusted off. No promotion, but the 50 had increased to 53.

There you go.

Edited by NKF

I confirm that. Usually at the end, when all aliens are dead, the soldiers with remaining time units throw whatever they have left. Even inside the Triton is fine. Actually, I put them several times face to face, to throw things from one to another.

But is not a vital skill, really