XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Geoscape Concept Art

Deimos

No doubt you've all seen the backgrounds for the menu screens in the geoscape now. The ones with the three miniatures as the picture background.

If it's possible can any of the artists draw up some static background shots, though the models look good I don't think they fit in with the styling of the game.

Don't worry about how much colour you use, it could be lineart or a full colour rendering or even a static 3d rendering. I'd like to be able to put in some art into the screens that make it look more professional. Thanks.

Guest drewid

What res?

Also people should be prepared to "sacrifice " some art here.

If we try a number of styles we -will- find one that looks great. When that happens we should redo the others to fit that style just to keep continuity. so much of this will be "placeholder" for a while.

still got to look good though :)

I'd say 800x600 as it's pretty much the standard and it gives whoever is doing the drawing quite a bit of detail to work with.

One note though, don't put too much detail in, probably best to have one item of focus and some background support. IE look at the Equip craft menu, there is an interceptor in a hangar. Or the buy/sell/transfer menus are one guy holding up a briefcase with some more in the background to support the theme. Don't paint a Rubens and be upset when the intricate detail doesn't show ;)

Guest drewid

Yah completely agree.

These should use a narrow range of colour and or tone otherwise the text will get lost on top of them.

renders will be fine if you knock down the contrast and colour range a bit afterwards.

same thing goes for putting in too much detail. it will get lost.

The craft screen is a great example.

c'mon folks lets see 'em