Concept Art / Fan Art

gu35s

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Easiest was to keep up with all new dev is to install Visual Studio 2008 Express (It's free) and compile it.

However I believe Mad has a nightly build which you can download.

Yes, he has, but the thing is, for some - probably very good - reason dteviot has not included the "save game options"-patch in trunk. This is why I held back this build. Anyway, it can be found here - you have been warned...

Easiest was to keep up with all new dev is to install Visual Studio 2008 Express (It's free) and compile it.

However I believe Mad has a nightly build which you can download.

Yes, he has, but the thing is, for some - probably very good - reason dteviot has not included the "save game options"-patch in trunk. This is why I held back this build. Anyway, it can be found here - you have been warned...

I'm afraid it's not a very good reason. I was going to do it, but it slipped my mind. I'll try and get it done today.

I'm afraid it's not a very good reason. I was going to do it, but it slipped my mind. I'll try and get it done today.
Fixed and checked in SaveGamesOptions patch supplied by PezzA.

FWIW, the problem was putting a binary version into the structure and then using the binary reader to read the struct doesn't work. Because if the struct changes (by adding or removing fields) the binary reader can't read the struct, to get the version info to tell if it's able to read the struct or not.

Revised version uses direct XML parsing.

Fixed and checked in SaveGamesOptions patch supplied by PezzA.

FWIW, the problem was putting a binary version into the structure and then using the binary reader to read the struct doesn't work. Because if the struct changes (by adding or removing fields) the binary reader can't read the struct, to get the version info to tell if it's able to read the struct or not.

Revised version uses direct XML parsing.

Ah, great, thank you! :) In this case I'll be so frank and will ask if there is any chance the bump mapping and the progressive/fuzzy day/night border will make it to trunk soon? Anyhow, here's the most recent trunk build.

In this case I'll be so frank and will ask if there is any chance the bump mapping and the progressive/fuzzy day/night border will make it to trunk soon? Anyhow, here's the most recent trunk build.
My apologies, I asked who wanted the older shader, and only Kafros replied, so I assumed he was the only one who wanted it, so didn't bother.

I've reverted to the shader from build 1797.

In this case I'll be so frank and will ask if there is any chance the bump mapping and the progressive/fuzzy day/night border will make it to trunk soon? Anyhow, here's the most recent trunk build.
My apologies, I asked who wanted the older shader, and only Kafros replied, so I assumed he was the only one who wanted it, so didn't bother.

I've reverted to the shader from build 1797.

Sorry, it seems this question skipped my attention. I only remember the discussion about PezzA's shader and whether it was too much or not.

Thanks for reverting the shader! unfortunatly I have two comments:

1) It seems that the bumb map is only applied in twilight, there is no bump mapping whatsoever in daylight or in night. This gives a somewhat strange effect. Is this intentional?

2) Could it be, that the new-old shader has another gamma setting than the one we used until 1798? I have the feeling that the night is much more light now, and the icons seem to be all pastel now. Edit: Maybe it's just me...?

Build can be found at http://www.projectxenocide.com/download/Ma...eTrunk_1880.exe

Edited by Mad

1) It seems that the bumb map is only applied in twilight, there is no bump mapping whatsoever in daylight or in night. This gives a somewhat strange effect. Is this intentional?

Yes, there's no bump mapping during night. (Because at night, there's no light source!) The bump mapping is done during the day, it's just that the effect is most pronouced in the twilight period, because the earth's surface is approaching parallel to the light direction. Which is one of the things I fixed in the shader that's been removed.

2) Could it be, that the new-old shader has another gamma setting than the one we used until 1798? I have the feeling that the night is much more light now, and the icons seem to be all pastel now. Edit: Maybe it's just me...?
Night should be the same with both shaders.

Yes, there's no bump mapping during night. (Because at night, there's no light source!) The bump mapping is done during the day, it's just that the effect is most pronouced in the twilight period, because the earth's surface is approaching parallel to the light direction. Which is one of the things I fixed in the shader that's been removed.

No, I think you got me wrong. i got the impression that there was no bumpmap during day...

No, I think you got me wrong. i got the impression that there was no bumpmap during day...

The bump mapping is done during the day, it's just that the effect is most pronouced in the twilight period. Shadows are longest at dusk and dawn, and amost invisible at midday.

The bump mapping is done during the day, it's just that the effect is most pronouced in the twilight period. Shadows are longest at dusk and dawn, and amost invisible at midday.

Thanks for clarifying. I just had the feeling the transition was really harsh... But I guess it is more accurate this way.

Thanks for clarifying. I just had the feeling the transition was really harsh... But I guess it is more accurate this way.

I like the day/night transition, it's got the nice effect whilst still having a visible day/dusk/night boundary. The only thing that might not be right is that the UK is in total night (which to be honest, it feels like sometimes).

Sigh. haven't had the time nor the inspiration to make the interception window. And since the merging with Colonisation is highly possible, I suppose the point is moot for making it now. Depending on which would be the main "theme" of the engine if it's as swapable as dteviot suggested in the other thread, then I suppose it could go either way. Either the development of Colonisation would be prioritized first and Xenocide would be in a stall, again, or vice versa.

I may not be able to contribute much, but I can do some CTD proofread probably. My grammar is not the best, but I am not too bad with spelling. Ignoring shortcut typing, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

++++++++++++++

Booting... done

Automated detection successfully intercepted tachyon transmission...

Language matching in progress...

Language found. Category: Grey

Translating from Grey...

To: Collective of Xeno Studies

Subject: Santa Claus

Content: Santa Claus (here on will be referred as Santa) is a mythical creature created by human (homo sapiens, see attachment) for much unknown reason. Many of our scientists studying this creature find that Santa maybe a kind of hostile creature created to apply fear toward their younglings. In their story, Santa came once of thier year and sneak stealthily into their homes via a primitive heating device called chimney. Santa would enter their dwellings by chimney to rob them of precious food and would leave many offensive colored packaging. The packaging appear to have no consistency of contents. It is also believed that Santa is accompanied by four legged mammals called Raindeers (see attachments for more detail on specie mentioned), which have developed the ability to fly without proper support such as wings nor propulsion units. It is suspected that these particular Raindeers may have been implanted with anti-gravity devices much like the SatyrianS-xz9adsalfj;lj;2301-512l4kj1-124lasfnf23095-21,...

Translation Stopped.

Message corrupted due to silly factor.

Please check Tachyon Emissions Detector for faults. Maintenance may be required.

Shutting down...

++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++

Booting... done

Automated detection successfully intercepted tachyon transmission...

Language matching in progress...

Language found. Category: Grey

Translating from Grey...

To: Collective of Xeno Studies

Subject: Santa Claus

Content: Santa Claus (here on will be referred as Santa) is a mythical creature created by human (homo sapiens, see attachment) for much unknown reason. Many of our scientists studying this creature find that Santa maybe a kind of hostile creature created to apply fear toward their younglings. In their story, Santa came once of thier year and sneak stealthily into their homes via a primitive heating device called chimney. Santa would enter their dwellings by chimney to rob them of precious food and would leave many offensive colored packaging. The packaging appear to have no consistency of contents. It is also believed that Santa is accompanied by four legged mammals called Raindeers (see attachments for more detail on specie mentioned), which have developed the ability to fly without proper support such as wings nor propulsion units. It is suspected that these particular Raindeers may have been implanted with anti-gravity devices much like the SatyrianS-xz9adsalfj;lj;2301-512l4kj1-124lasfnf23095-21,...

Translation Stopped.

Message corrupted due to silly factor.

Please check Tachyon Emissions Detector for faults. Maintenance may be required.

Shutting down...

++++++++++++++

I like the reindeer! ^_^ There's an easter egg in there!

• 3 weeks later...
thanks. maybe I should just join CTD or something. anyway, what's going on? the forum was alive for a while then plummeted to cold again. heat it up. people, drop more fan art. draw something and post it. make something up. viper eating rats, grey shooting water pistols, antropods swimming with squids, cyberdisk around clamshells. something.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good,

2 Things, First, are the outside walls missing? Or did you hide them to show. I'll try and open the regular to look at it tomorrow.

Second, if they are there we have a almost standard image for the outside look. Which you can glance at here

http://projectxenocide.com/images/geoscape...oratory-800.jpg

and here

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?ac...ost&id=9174

I will locate the texture and post tomorrow.

Edit - Just checked the MAX, it is there so I am just guessing you hide it.

Edit 2- Here is the texture you can look at, Again I'm only talking about the outside wall.

http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?ac...ost&id=9770

md.png

Edited by Darkhomb

Yea its hidden

I'm thinking - the walls would probably be the same for each room no? - just share the texture for all and save some space there.

First thing I had to do with that model was break it apart and fix a couple errors and clean up some unnecessary geometry and n-gons.

Now that i have a good idea of where I'm going, texturing is coming along. The lab looks great. Access lift, not so much. That could use some love - and normals.

Yea its hidden

I'm thinking - the walls would probably be the same for each room no? - just share the texture for all and save some space there.

The lab looks great. Access lift, not so much. That could use some love - and normals.

Well if you look at the 2 models, Access Lift and Lab, they each have their own label and color. I can't remember the standard off the top of my head - blue Science related etc. But I'd leave the red and just change it to Missile Lvl1.

As for the Access lift, I have the texture but do not have the model. I will message the creator to see if they can send it to me. If you want to throw normal?s on it, by all means :) It?s just nice to have someone texturing again.

@kafros: Yes, well, you know me... ;)

@Darkhomb: I ssseeeeee... :) Thank you for assuring me that it was funny. Now I almost certainly know it wasn't :P

@Mad: Back on topic. :)

Edited by Mad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i found this: http://androidarts.com/xcom/

(if you are the owner of this site and would like it to be taken down, please let me know or post a message here so an admin can remove the site).

look at those chibi x-coms... i especially like the power armors and chrysallids.

• 2 weeks later...

i think your brain is too much in vacation mode. or at least asking for one.

/me can't post/reply in the warehouse.... so here's an input to Shinzon's latest artwork. I prefer the original (first post) rather than the one with iridium sheen stuff. i think it's best to make it look kind of grey-ish, hence the name. i would think they'd make their armors less shiny. i mean if human could think to use matted materials with dark colors so you don't easily get spotted in battlefields, i don't see why the aliens wouldn't as well. maybe it would have that iridium sheen gfx when it get shot, but otherwise i think it should be more like dolphin color.

Here are some 3D sectoid concepts for the different classes

Sectoid

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/dangerous-dave/sectoid01a.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/dangerous-dave/sectoid01b.jpg

Sectoid Navigator

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/dangerous-dave/sectoid02a.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/dangerous-dave/sectoid02b.jpg

Sectoid Soldier

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/dangerous-dave/sectoid03a.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/dangerous-dave/sectoid03b.jpg

and human soldiers with heavy armor and quarrantine protection

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/dangerous-dave/soldier01.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/dangerous-dave/soldier02.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/dangerous-dave/soldier03.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/dangerous-dave/soldier04.jpg

as i said i would love to contribute for models and any intor outro animations that are needed. that is if this project is still going because i noticed the most up to date build was released in 2008

Yes and no. It is true, the last major build was released 2008, but we have continued to work on this, and actualy new builds were created and ("secretly") uploaded as the 2008 build. We just felt that the smaller changes didn't warrant a full release.

These are great models. We should definetly include them. I'll speak to dteviot about this.

Edited by Mad

Sgt Jones, could you provide these models as FBX? This way we could use them most easily.

I will see what i can do. They are in 3ds max 2009 format at the moment. max does have an fbx conversion option i dont actually know how stable that makes them afterwards though, and they are rigged too.