XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Combat Exo Armour

Sectopod

Hey there :)

I was just recently playing a game called Star Control 2 (don't know if some of you people heard of it or not, its quite old), and on this game there was this ship called the Orz Nemesis. The ship's special abilities would be to release it's crew into armoured suits, who would fly towards the enemy, burn in the hull and start to exact it's search and destroy mode on the enemies crew :P

So.. I wondered if to make the game harder, the Aliens would start to use a super jet pack Exo Armour, and try to fly up to your interceptors and transports, and pretty much turn them to rubble in no time.

Basically the Exo Armour is given to experienced alien crew, or hardened crew (such as mutons) and they will try to rip your transports and interceptors to pieces once they are released. You can imagine that they will jump on the wings, attack the pilot, etc. Of course you would look like this: :cussing:

Of course it shouldn't be too imbalancing, the Exo Armour can be killed by Interceptors, eventually B). Once you have fought against these Exo Armoured troopers (who appear as tiny dots on the radar) and once they have scrapped your ship to shreads, you will recieve a new research option:

Ship Turret Upgrade.

Basically the Exo Armour will attack the ship and deal damage while the turret is dealing it's damage too. The turret is some kind of Missle system, then it evolves into Laser Turrets, Plasma Turrets, etc. All this is for anti-armour duty.

Sooner or later, you may find a suit of Exo Armour in a baseraid operation, and research it.. then you will be the one having the laugh.

When you have Exo Armour and release them in troop carrier (like a Skyranger or anything) in air to air combat, they will fly up to the alien ship and dodge the alien's fire (assuming none have been hit), and then when they get in, it will become a battlescape. You will see the exo armoured troopers burning into the hull, and then at once the hull will explode, and any aliens there will die/take damage, while your exo troopers (under you) start to do search and destroy :devillaugh:

Then of course the Aliens would be getting turrets and rubbish, whereas you can recruit more exo troopers and go against them head on!

Exo Armoured troopers CAN be killed by the crew inside, but it takes some to bring it down.

In an air to air combat, you can give exo troopers orders. You can say "Evasive actions" and they will attempt to dodge the enemy's weapons. You can say "Search and Destroy" and they will fly up to the enemy and initiate battlescape.

..But then you will come across the enemies Exo Armour one time, and when he releases, and you release, they both fight in the air. Possibly there will be an air battlescape?! :blink: with massive bolts of plasma being thrown at you and interceptor orders? while you are being attacked by the enemies troops?

:D what you think?

Edited by Chmmr

Basically, the Aliens will have a unit called the Exo Armour which first appears on an air to air combat radar. After the first encounter (assuming your lucky to escape) they will attempt to burn through your hull as tiny blips on the radar. After this you can research special turrets, or even have troops firing out of gun ports.

If you have a successful base raid and find an Exo Armour, you can research it and use it yourself, opening a new combat mode: Airscape.

In a combat mode you have 2 sides in the airscape, being one side the transport and the other the ufo. The ramp is opened and the combat troops eject from your plane. You can engage the ufo, in which you could take damage from the ufo's returning fire. You eventually come across the masses of air commanding your exo troopers to the alein's ship, where they will burn through the hull. Then you start a battle onboard the ship. After the battle assuming you've won, you leave the ship via where you've came.

Then the ufo will crash due to no crew being in it, and you auto scavenge the craft without any problems (after taking some initial crash damage, although this is more minor, instead of blasting the thing with a torpedo and wiping out everything.)

You leave the airscape by coming back into your troop transport and aborting the mission. Eventually the aliens will have exo armours so you battle the aliens the same way you do on the ground.

Exo troopers are highly effective against UFOs. Their smallness makes it hard for the aliens to shoot at you. The aliens may eventually get turrets to fight off the mess they've started, and they will get some of their own exo's to fight yours :)

When exo troopers die, well.. its a long drop down isn't it? :P

I'm pretty sure the alien ufo could shoot the exo troopers, and the troop transport can shoot alien troopers via gun ports. Be advised that the aliens can wreck your transport too.. aborting the mission retreats the transport and any exo's left in the airscape will eventually lose power to their xenium reactors, falling through the sky and crashing to the ground. You lose to aliens.

Exo Troopers can only be released in "Standoff" air to air combat mode.

Edited by Chmmr

Chmmr: you should REALLY take a look at http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

... I think it might be interesting for you. I am also a huge fan of SC2 :)

(but I don't think that those exo troopers are a very good idea for xenocide.)

I've seen the site, a SC2 remake that rebirthed my old memories ^_^

You do have a point in that they may not be a good idea, becuase then we wouldn't have ground combat. But on the other hand it would be great if we could fight them in the air using troopers too :hammer:. Maybe your right that they shouldnt be used in Xenocide, it would complicate things. But it is an idea :)

Edited by Chmmr