with a nice butterfly trigger

great destruction capabilities

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, you are proberly right. But is a rocket launcher not supposed to be heavy?

Tried to make it slimmer...Didn't turn out like that....

Xcom_rocket_launcher2.jpg

You know, i found the PERFECT real-life rocket launcher to model it after: the SMAW

Shoulder-Launched Multipurpose Assault Weapon (SMAW)

Primary function: Portable anti-armor rocket launcher.

Length:

To Carry: 29.9 inches (75.95 centimeters)

Ready-to-Fire: 54 inches (137.16 cm)

Weight:

To Carry: 16.6 pounds (7.54 kg)

Ready-to-Fire (HEDP): 29.5 pounds (13.39 kg)

Ready-to-Fire (HEAA): 30.5 pounds (13.85 kg)

Bore diameter: 83mm

Maximum effective range:

1 x 2 Meter Target: 250 meters

Tank-Sized Target: 500 meters

Introduction date: 1984

Unit Replacement Cost: $13,000

Mission: To destroy bunkers and other fortifications during assault operations as well as other designated targets with the dual mode rocket and to destroy main battle tanks with the HEAA rocket.

hmm....

that would make more sense

i think it looks good, at first i though you were going to make and assault weapon

i got to start reading more carefuly :D

hey why don't you create a few rifles??

i mean you are good with this stuff

anyway i like the last rendering and one thing let me see if i can expain it

the trigger, it is ussually positioned on the top side of the weapon as it sits

on you shoulder that way as you "hug" the weapon on your shoulder your

hand will come to rest at the correct position right above the trigger, your

sights are usually on the left side of the weapon

"all this based on a right handed weapon"

Yeah, you are proberly right. But is a rocket launcher not supposed to be heavy?

Tried to make it slimmer...Didn't turn out like that....

Well maybe its the perspective, but it looks more like a high tech weapon, maybe EMP Cannon than a rocket launcher... a rocket launcher its supposed to be .... like a bazooka... dont know something like this....

DISCLAIMER: That is exactly the one that mikker posted the specs... all images are taken from www.fas.org (pretty good resource on weapons)

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/smaw.jpghttp://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/smaw-dvic566-s.jpghttp://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/smaw-dvic565-s.jpg

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/smaw-c1.jpg

Greetings

Red Knight

hmm....

that would make more sense

i think it looks good, at first i though you were going to make and assault weapon

i got to start reading more carefuly :D

hey why don't you create a few rifles??

i mean you are good with this stuff

anyway i like the last rendering and one thing let me see if i can expain it

the trigger, it is ussually positioned on the top side of the weapon as it sits

on you shoulder that way as you "hug" the weapon on your shoulder your

hand will come to rest at the correct position right above the trigger, your

sights are usually on the left side of the weapon

"all this based on a right handed weapon"

Nah. I am not good at doing this :D I'll just start over ( :crying: ) and start with the SMAW. I also got textures from the page, but i did not get the tutorial on that <_>

You know, i am really really bad at keeping things at a level. First i when for an inteceptor weapon. Then an heavy cannon, then rocket launcher. When i think about it, maybe i COULD keep this...for a heavy cannon. I did much search on FAS, but there did not seam to be a weapon i could model it after.

Based on the proportions, it may work best as a craft weapon, as the balance looks a bit top heavy as a personnel weapon. Perhaps a shoulder mount would provide a supportive look to it, maybe a blast plate to shield the face from the missile exhaust, since it exits so close to the users face.

What about this: have a special face shield/HUD display helmet that's connected to the weapon via a flexible-looking cable and would cover the model's head. This would have a laser targeting system for guiding line-of-site missiles. It would be more interesting than a standard 'missile in a tube' weapon.

Also, you posted a model that showed several rounds of blue ammo on a multi-barrel weapon. What about keeping something like that but only have 1 barrel, and the ammo clip rotates to it. You could have a Tommy gun type cannister clip that the rounds are in for AP and HE ammo. A spiral feeding clip could hold more than 6 rounds as well, which I think was something people were wanting. Perhaps the look could be somewhat based off the heavy weapons used in Aliens(2). I believe it was Vasquez who used it, it had a shock absorbing/stabilizing system the gun was mounted to. An armor piercing or high energy round would have so much recoil that a system like this would protect the user from being hurt. I could see it consisting of a thick rigid belt with shoulder straps, and 2 arms coming off it to the gun side. One comes forward and the second goes to the rear, each have a joint in the middle to allow the weapon to travel towards and away from the user's torso. Pivot joints where the arms connect to the weapon and the belt allow movement forwardds and back, with hydraulic shock absorbers built onto the arms for when the weapon fires. The bad picture is a shot looking from the top, with the 'weapon' attached to it. The grey parts are the shock absorbers.

btw, how does everybody like this rendered shot of the design? It's under 1000 polys believe it or not, although it does look better with the stick figure marine I made to go with it. :devilsmile:

You mean, a helmet, with a buletproof glass in front off?

And whats wrong with the clasic rocket in tupe??? How do you think we gt op in space? (ok ok, it was a rocket ATTACHED to a tupe) :P

I imagine the helmet would be similar to the one used in the Apache helicopter. It could be as simple as a headband with a targeting reticle that's attached to the weapon (to show it's part of the weapon), or a glorified helmet similar to a power suit or flying suit. If the helmet was more of a face mask, it would provide protection from rocket propellant/debris without needing any additional shielding. Mostly eye protection I guess.

Nothing's wrong with a tube and rocket, but what about guided blaster bombs? Would make more sense (at least to my simple mind) to have some sort of enhanced interface for it, at least to make it a glorified rocket launcher, more along the lines of some of your models. I guess my thinking is, if we get to make weapons of the future with UFO technology, would it still be just a tube and propelled rocket? Or more of a miniature cruise missile with launcher based laser guidance and auto correction, housed in a composite alloy chassis with built in auto reloading for "rapid target acquisition and disposal"? By mini cruise missile I mean 1 foot long, like a bowling pin of death :devilsmile: Actually my 1 liter bottle of Mountail Dew would be a pretty good size as well.

Just my thoughts on it, I only hoped you would stick closer to your original design ideas rather than go back to the tried, true, and mundane.

I am having some problems with the mask. I have found a great looking one, and started to 2D modeling it, but i never finnished the tutorial on that :erm: so i am having trouble.

I think i am going to model the heavy cannon first. I need to know what type of ammo it is. The pics in the original don't give me a clue.

What do you think the ammo would look like?

Here are some pictures I thought looked good to base ammo off of. You have high energy and armor piercing: http://www.battlefield.ru/armaments/d10.html

http://www.battlefield.ru/armaments/pics/d10_03.jpg

How can it be, that i get those wird ones, when i inline, and the ekstrude? Can't i soften the edges?

Here is the ammo V.1

Xcom_rocket_luncher_ammo1.jpg

Guest drewid

Nice ammo.

I don't know what you are using, but anyhow, it's worth checking that the verts are all welded up at either end of the offending edge, and check that there isn't a face hiding in there somewhere. I get this with Maya sometimes cos it isn't always very good at tidying up after itself.

(lightwave modeller used to accidentally create 2 vertex polys, which would crash the LW renderer DOH).

Wow. I wondered why there were so many polys in the ammo. It almostly doubled it. I had 544 before it, and 976 after :wacko:

I found some weird shading effects when vertices were welded together from odd angles, unwelding them around the problem area tending to solve that. May sound the opposite of Drewid's comment but I think it's different not the opposite. That ammo looks good, could be used in the ufopedia. In game it could be much fewer polys, since you only see it shooting towards a target if at all. Could get away with a cheapo cone there. Very nice work you're doing!

:D thanks!

I found my salution: i deleted 1 vertex at the time: connecteed the 2 next to it, and added a vetex in the middle of it. I then moved it out where it was before, and now it looks better! :D

ammoprogress.jpg

Thanks Bob, but what do you mean? have you looked at the latest screens? Or do you mean the ammo? The Heavy Cannon has 6 ammo, so thats why i did 6.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a screen of it without the top on it.......but i really liked it! :crying:

I deleted the handles for future designs. They were bad.

topedo_hvcannon.jpg

I think that last shot would make a good fusion ball launcher for aircraft Mikker. It has that "don't point that thing at my planet!" look to it, which is what the fusion ball should be. I could put you down for that in the asset list if you like?

To make it more of a rocket launcher, try selecting all the verts around the center of the model, and scale them down some. Should be X and Z axis I think, it's X and Y in Milkshape. If you scale it down so that the center bulge isn't as pronounced, you could then extrude the handles to make the rest of the rocket launcher.

Don't worry about handles for the plane version, it will either be coming out of the plane's hull or connected to a weapon pod of some sort.

should i use it for the heavy cannon too???? won't it look strange, to have 2 models look almost the same?

Well, if the plane cannon is thicker like that one and has a texture that fits with the plane, then the heavy cannon version can be thinner, stretched out to make it a liitle longer, and given a gunmetal texture. Toss some handles and support hardware (like the waldo unit) on it, and I doubt it will look similar at all.

I agree that it should connect somehow. i see it more like a lot of cabels though.

You mean, like, every aircraft weapon should have the top part being the same? hmmm....shouldn't take long to make.

great, because i deleted the backup :rolleyes:

heheh...a little more detail, and i am ready to go.

I made it look kinda cool at the front.

BTW, will the craft weapons be shown by itself, or on an interceptor?

topedo_hvcannon5.jpg

That is a cool looking weapon mikker! Since we'd want the focus on the weapon in the X-Net, perhaps a rendered still of it hanging from the wing, and an animated/spinning model of just the weapon?

Glad you like it :)

Will there be 2 screens, 1 for in-game (or in this case on-wing :)) and 1 for zoom/spin?

That would be nice.

Yes, the current consensus is to have the X-Net screen for each item include a rendered still of the item, an animted version that at least spins on its own but probably is spun by the user and aslso zooms, and a section with text desciption and stats.

• 7 months later...
I've renamed this thread to craft weapons, since Mikker's concept evolved into one. Other craft weapons can be posted here, and I'll probably find more posts to merge as I go.

Here's Mikker's plasma cannon concept:

http://www.projectxenocide.com/artassets/pics/plasma_cannon.jpg

Here's his fusion ball launcher concept:

http://www.projectxenocide.com/artassets/pics/fusion_launcher.jpg

Nobody has started the laser cannon yet, and I was going to play with the regular cannon but haven't started, so if anybody wants to work on it let me know.