XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Ads?

Puasonen

Isn't there anyone who would like to put ads on this page? If you think about the amount of members and visitors here, you would think some firms would become interested in putting some ads on these pages? That would cover the expenses of keeping the site up now wouldn't it?

Has any firm contacted you yet micah?

Micah gets paypal donations that are used for purchasing things like official compilers and other legal goodies, but has declined on using any of it for supporting the website. He has stated that maintaining the site is his way of contributing to the project, and he doesn't want to use projects funds for it.

I for one would slap someone silly if they put ads on this site, that would drop its value a great deal IMO. The number of unique users we get each month is not very high, so actual cash from ads would be limited. Add the fact that people like me block 3rd party referrers and server redirection, and the number of ad hits goes even lower.

Sorry if I sound militant, but that's just me.

Breunor explained it quite well. The donations sent to the xcomufo account are all set aside for Xenocide, regardless of what the donator intended :) I've been approached by several companies, but turned them all down in favor of an ad-free website.

Keeping the site adfree kinda makes this site more cozy. Good decision I guess if you don't really need the money. I knew someone had contacted you micah. Even sites with lesser viewers gets offers so it just popped to my mind to ask out of curiosity.

There's a battlefield1942 clan that I'm in, and the guy who runs the servers has 4 that are dedicated monsters, and cost him like $350 a month each, and he pays 100% for it because he likes the game. Imagine spending $1400US a month because you like a game! Wow...

I could create a forum where member "announcements" could be located, of course there would be a moderation queue on it, I assume, it being understood that Micah would approve the threads/posts contained in that queue.

I could create a forum where member "announcements" could be located, of course there would be a moderation queue on it, I assume, it being understood that Micah would approve the threads/posts contained in that queue.

What are you talking about? Are you in the right thread?

• 1 year later...

Were you talking about a classifieds section? :Poke:

Were you talking about a classifieds section? :Poke:

Yep! The forum is setup with a moderation queue so that nothing goes up before it is approved.