XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Sound Artists Post Here

Guest autophillia

I just read about this project via the OCR forums and would be interested in either the Creative Text Writer or Sound Designer positions.

I graduted from the Savannah College of Art Design with a BFA in Game Design & Interactivity. My art skills are very poor, but I can write text, compose music, do video/audio editing, and project manage.

Judging by what I've read of this thread, I might be more useful as a Sound FX Designer / Voice Director. I have produced some "video game radio plays" and did some voice-over work for 2 episodes of Super Console Wars, an award-winning Flash animation.

My portfolio is at The Worst Blog.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nanoscopic
there seams to be a problem. when I try to register I get this message "The board administrator is no longer accepting any new registrations at the moment." :(

I've got an idea to MAYBE deal with this. It'll be a kludge and a HUGE pain; hang on.

I'll need a working email address.

Edit: I'll need a working email address. FIRST.

Guest Nanoscopic
I've got an idea to MAYBE deal with this.  It'll be a kludge and a HUGE pain; hang on.

I'll need a working email address.

Edit: I'll need a working email address. FIRST.

heres one working email add

djvidar (at) gmail

RK: Edited to prevent spam mail spiders.

Edited by red knight

Hmmm... I may want to join the project. Only problem is I don't have any good sound/music making programs. Anyone?

PS: I play the piano :) The one attached is actually one of my worst works, but the only one I could find.

EDIT: And here's a loop. Sorry there's a bit of a gap at the end.

Edited by blue123

i'm not entirely positive if there are any good software FX and music synthesizers out there, but if anyone has one could you also send it to me? I've been wanting to get one and try it out for a while now

Hi Blue123!

Thanks for your interest in Project Xenocide and welcome!

Red Knight is managing sound dept. at the moment, he will contact you soon.

As for resources, have a look at the following:

Freeware:

BEST SEQUENCERS/TRACKERS

Music Studio Producer "Music Studio Producer is a free Windows MIDI sequencer, DAW which can host VST(i), supports ASIO. From Aspire software" -> if you want to use the plugins beneath, Music Studio Producer is the software to begin with. I think it's the best you can get for free!

Kristal Audio Engine "This multitrack recording software includes some features found only in expensive professional recording software."

AoDix "the ultimate bridge between tracking and sequencing"

Psychle "Psycle is an open source modular music creation studio or so called 4th generation tracker."

Skale "Skale tracker is the unofficial 'Fasttracker 3'."

BEST VST EFFECTS

Classic Series - Bundle "...overall the best you can get for free."

Maxim Digital Audio - Bundle "Rather spartan and dull freeware plugin pack (no interface). Pack consists of almost every less exotic effect around there for producing more or less non-experimental music"

for more look here

BEST ANALOG/SUBTRACTIVE SYNTHESIZERS

Synth1 "Wonderfull thing, absolutely wonderfull. A Nordlead clone, identical in many functions and even in sound to some degree."

LinPlug FreeAlpha synthesizer "...a standard, warm sounding VA build with Albino engine for evaluation purposes. Still, it sounds way better that SE stuff, and eats very little CPU."

for more look here

BEST FM/WAVETABLE/MISC SYNTHESIZERS

Augur "One of more entertaining synths to use, with wild possibilities."

Crystal "A VERY strange synth. Something like additive/granular, comparable with reasons maelstrom.

But ofcourse really wicked."

for more look here

BEST SAMPLERS/SFS/TOOLS

WinAmp Player "Plays about any format."

CDex Convertor "All in all, CDex is a comprehensive ripping and conversion program and the availability of the source code is a big extra for anyone interested in writing their own ripper, or just understanding how ripping and audio conversion functions are done."

for more look here

GENERAL RESOURCES

SonicSpot

AudioMelody

Xelenio

HitSquad - Freeware for Win98

Homerecording (check out Jeskola Buzz (Massive))

FreeBits - free audio utilities

Harmony Central

AudioForums - hints and tips

DigiDesign - A FREE PROTOOLS!!!!

Sounduser - free cubase VST plugins

Low budget:

BEST VIRTUAL STUDIOS

Propellerheads Reason 2.5 @ 350$ / 280€ - "...really is the defining 'all-in-one' professional music production package."

Fruityloops Studio 5 @ 100$ / 100€ - "...is like a mac, all easy and amatuer on the surface, but has some real power if you dig for it."

BEST SEQUENCERS

Cakewalk Home Studio 2 @ 100$ / 100€ - "... the newest edition of the world's #1-selling music and sound software for the home."

Steinberg Cubase SE @ 100$ / 130€ "... the perfect cross-platform starting point for any home-recording studio, small-project studio or pre-production/editing room."

BEST VST for any effects/synthesizers it is best to look at this thread

BEST ONLINE STORES

USA: ZZSounds

Europe: Thomann

Theory and resources:

Regards

- Mad

Cool! I'll have a look at all of them, I've plenty of time. By the way, I have a huge project to be in this friday, so I might not be as productive as I can.

EDIT: I'm a bit confused, which programs are for actually making music? I'm afraid the above aren't really helpful :( What I really need is something like this:

http://www.flstudio.com/ Something free aswell.

Edited by blue123

• 2 weeks later...

It doesnt matters which one you use, the only requirement is high quality final results ;) .

Please read the recruitment process, and contact me for details on your portfolio and other information.

http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/...ruiting_Process

Greetings

Red Knight

• 3 weeks later...

Good good. But where's my recruit status? I can't post in places I need to.

PS: I know I mentioned this before, but does anyone know of any good music making programs that can do the fake-orchestra (Something like reason/Fl/???) thing, free and doesn't need a keyboard? And not a midi one. I'm up to my waist in those.

EDIT: Wait, is there even one that can do that? I'm a bit uneducated when it comes to this field.

AND OTHER EDIT: What program was the geoscape music made with? That sounds pretty good.

Edited by blue123

Sorry Blue, your resume must have been lost somewhere in my inbox. I have a lot of work, so it may happen. Just for record, prod me once in a while if I neglected something.

Blue and ttmaster2004 can you both send me your resumes with samples? Blue a forward from the one you must have already sent is enough ;)

Greetings

Red Knight

• 1 month later...

I would like to help build the sound effects you need. I know ProTools and Live. I'm not much of a musician and I'm not a programmer at all but let m e know what I can do.

But then again why compress at all?

PS why all the ogg stuff? Can't we use something like an mp3 that we can all play?

PPS If you need some samples of my work I can send you a DVD but that seems a little excessive so if its all the same to you all. I'll post some of my favorite pieces in a zip in a new post later today.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

MOTTO_R_sum__postable.pdf

Edited by Ottoman

PS why all the ogg stuff? Can't we use something like an mp3 that we can all play?

Hi Ottoman!

We always apreciate help! I'm sure Red Knight will contact you shortly.

To answer your question: Ogg has two major advantages over mp3: a) It's free (as in free of restricting licenses) and open source B) it has a better compression/qualitly ratio then mp3. Plus it is widely supported. For example, Winamp 2.8 was already capable of playing ogg files.

Best regards

Mad

Well, there is a whole lot of software you can try... For example:

* VLC media player, which is a cross-platform media player, quite famous among Windows, Linux and Mac OS users alike!

* Whamb is an audio player for Mac OS X

* Why don't you have a look at the official vorbis site? This link will direct you to the "3rd party software" section for the Mac OS X.

I guess that's a good start :wink1:

Edited by kafros

Sorry Ottoman had a heck of a day yesterday and wasnt able to connect to respond.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php?ac...=242025466&st=0

We are defining the sounds that the game will require, so there are already sounds there to compose and we could use some work to complete the list too.

PM me so we can have a chat on the weekend. I use MSN.

Greetings

Red Knight

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a decent recording rig in my spare bedroom, and I'd like to contribute. My only experience is creating music:

My current New Age project: http://music.download.com/longingfororpheus

An Industrial group I was in a couple of years ago: http://www.guildoffline.com/

But, it looks like you've got plenty of music contributions. I'd like to try my hand at some of the foley stuff if you can use the help.

Welcome to Project Xenocide LFO!

Thanks for your interest in our work! Unfortunatly the recruiting docs don't describe how to become a member, so I'm sorry you were misguided to there. You have done the right thing. Red Knight will review your posted work and will contact you soon. Please be lenient if it takes some time, he has a lot of work to do. :)

I'd be glad to have you in the team soon!

Best wishes!

Mad

Guest Azrael
But, it looks like you've got plenty of music contributions.  I'd like to try my hand at some of the foley stuff if you can use the help.

I wouldn't say that, in fact, looks quite the contrary, we have veeeeeery few actually completed tracks, I might say we have... one?

Anyhow, welcome :)

I would say at the moment there is no such source for the SND. You see, the Sound department has been with out a leader for quite some time before Red Knight took over as provisional leader, so documentation of SND process is a bit complex. Maybe the best source atm is the Task Tracker (BUGS/ Bug Genie).

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo again :yarr: . I've been busy working on my applicant task - there's a Sound Department/Active/SFX/Aliens/ directory in the Assets repository now, and in it you'll find my Morlock sound set.

While creating these samples, I found a lack of guidelines for SFX volume levels, so I've written something up, and posted it to the Wiki here (with Red Knight's blessing, of course):

http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/...ects_Asset_List

Those of you with audio expertise or programmers who [are/plan on] working with the audio engine, please take a look at it (its the MASTERING topic under MAIN SFX GUIDELINES - all italics for now) and let me know if something seems unreasonable, or based on false assumptions. The Morlock sample set I mentioned above conforms to these (listen to the latest iteration), if you'd like a point of reference for the relative volume levels.

Sorry if this isn't the best place for this post, but I'm not among the chosen yet, so my posting rights are limited :P

Hallo again :yarr: .  I've been busy working on my applicant task - there's a Sound Department/Active/SFX/Aliens/ directory in the Assets repository now, and in it you'll find my Morlock sound set. 

Very impressive work! Although I feel tempted to hand him an anti-asthmatics spray... :P

• 2 months later...

Hi there people!

I've been a huge fan of X-Com ever since I've seen it the first time

and I really want to make Xenocide happen! Found this site about a

year ago, but at the time I didn't know that contributions are welcome.

Well, now I know :D

I've been working with music, effects and sound in general for about

3 or 4 years now. I'm really into glitch, ambient, and weird stuff, so

I have the skills and will to make quality contributions to the project.

E-mail, PM, or IM me if needed :)

Welcome to the forums dYz :)

As you probably don't know, there is a Recruitment Procedure that every new member must follow in order to become a recruit. Concerning the SND, you should provide us some samples of your work, for example some music compositions or SFX. Red Knight is the SND (sound department) leader for now, as the SND senior's seat waits for a new candidate. PM him with your work and ask him whatever you need

Enjoy your stay

Thanks, kafros!

Send a PM to Red Knight. Waiting for his response :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Duke Ellington IV

Hey, would have like to have started working on the music and sound with you guys years ago, it is only now i think that I'm technologically able.

Lots of music experience, composition spanning over genres, probably could get away with some voice acting too, as I'm mainly a singer.

Thank you, let me know if you'd have me do anything

Read the recruitment procedure at docs.projectxenocide.com and gets started sending us a demo of your work in the areas that you are applying for recruiting.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Greetings

Red Knight