XCOMUFO & Xenocide

Diy Gauss Pistol

In this Popular Mechanics publication on the future of warfare I have, it shows depictions of the metal storm 'hive' gun mounted on the back of humvees. Apparently, at least someone with credentials out there thinks they're useful.

the million rounds thing is never going to be used. They fire it for a couple milliseconds to get the results they want.

I don't know what you mean, blehm. They can't possibly carry around one million rounds and they certainly wouldn't expend one million in one volley. I don't even thing they have anything capable of containing one million rounds. The idea is that they would fire a burst over a large area, like a split second minefield. It's actually envisioned to replace mines in some respects because there is much less danger of killing civillians and there is no trouble finding them once you have installed them.

Like I said, the one million rounds per minute is a measure of cyclic rate. No M-16 has ever fired 900 consecutive rounds in a single minute- it's just the measure of how fast the mechanism works.

• 1 month later...

Well, about practical rate of fire of Metal Storm - there are working prototypes capable of firing more than 90 bullets in fraction of second - and thus achieving this legendary 1.000.000 rpm. Alas, watch it yourself:

Metla Storm Videos

On this page you will find some commercials and also live firing, including reloading sequences and the like. Well, I was initially sceptic, but now, when I seen this videos I know - MetalStorm IS future of firearms.

And about Navy electromagnetic guns. AFAIK it's scheduled for phase 2+ of Littoral Combat Ship programme, so we will probably see it in action around 2020. Just wait and watch. :happybanana:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest alex the greater
So who gets to carry the ammo?

:cussing: "wait for me"

the ammo is realtivly light (2mm neadles and no gunpowder/shell casings) you could fit 100ds in a clip but you would also nead a power cell which might take up moast of the clip and might not be to light (unless you are gona gve them micro nukler batrays like the laser guns have)