XCOMUFO & Xenocide

CTD - XC-11 Condor

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:spam: , I have some comments now.

XC-11 “Condor”

The XC-11 “Condor” is a modern marvel of technology. It's an ideal transport for X-Com as it combines two most important traits: speed and flexibility. Powered by experimental supercruise Engines, it can reach speeds many modern jets cannot. And thanks to an advanced radar and sonar detection system mounted on its nose, Condor is able to vertically land and take off on almost any terrain as those devices are able to present a three-dimensional holographic map of the surrounding environment displayed on the pilot's visor. This technology is designed specifically for the pilot to be able to land the craft in a safe and suitable environment.

A sonar is similar to a radar, but it is based on reflection of submarine soundwaves. It is not very appropiate to have an airtransport to have a sonar, not to mention quite useless. The radar itself isn't capable of presenting a 3d holomap, a computer could do so, but not the radar alone.

It was made small as possible, unfortunately it's truly a beast compared to most terrestrial craft, and compared to the XC-1, it's a very slow craft. But still it can reach every place on earth in less than 12h.

Saying that it is a beast is not professional, look for a professional word. In this para you could mention what's is it's average speed. Also it would be interesting to compare it's speed to modern transports, you may want to ask FuxOr666 about it, he knows about this :wink2:

However that comes at a cost, Condor need to carry huge amounts of fuel, which is placed in fuel pods under the wings, inside the wings, and sometimes stored in the belly of the ship, giving aliens an irresistible, if not hard to hit, target. If any alien weapon were to pierce the fuel pods, it could result in a huge flying fireball, almost guaranteed to be lethal to anyone inside the ship. The ship also suffers from decreased maneuverability due to high weight and thin titanium armor. That's why it shouldn't under any circumstances be used for anything other than transportation. Removal of the craft weapons hardpoint has made it even more dangerous to use this craft for combat.

Don't mention the Aliens, yet, in the beginning of the game you have no idea what they are capable of. I wouldn't say an "irresistible" target, I don't know even if it's worth mentioning, since Fux has said that it is common to store fuel in those areas. Also, maybe this ship shouldn't carry that enormous amounts of fuel, we are in 2012 and this is the best of the best airtransports, I guess it'd be very effective in fuel consumption. If the ship suffers from decreased maneuvrability, it is in relation with another previous model, either you compare it with an earlier Condor model, or with another type of transport craft. Aerial transports aren't used for combat, if I'm not mistaken, so the last part is kinda wrong, also, if you say it is "even more dangerous to use in combat", then you'd have to say something before about something already making it dangerous to use in combat.

"This is one of the most beautiful craft I have ever seen." "What, you mean that flying coffin?" - Conversation between X-corps engineer Dan Roberts and Sergeant Charlie Baker

Yes, flying is usually one of the most annoying parts of a mission. Due to the lack of space fully armed and equipped soldiers are sitting tight on a small benches lined along walls sometimes even several hours.

Now this is completely out of place, I've said it before, flying is not one of the most annoying parts of a mission, getting shot at by Aliens with heavy plasmas is. Also, I don't think a Sargeant would call a ship a flying coffin, not because of space or cold, this ship is basically like most air transports, even better since it's from 2012 and it's X-Corps'.

Overall I feel like this still needs some work, I suggest you PM FuxOr666 about this and ask him if he has or know where to obtain information about today's military air transports, so you may get some more ideas.

Edit, here blehm, this page has much useful info.

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=86

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=93

Edited by Azrael

Wait, I want to keep it here and wait for more comments, I'll revise it myself, I'd also want Tzuchan to take a look at it, he often sees what we cannot 

Arrgh! Don't go flattering my ego Azrael, he's big enough as it is...

Hmm... Not much here for me to critic, most of my comments so far are mostly geared towards making plausible bs... Stuff based more or less on real world tech? It already exists...

However, I agree about Azzy about the passage below:

However that comes at a cost, Condor need to carry huge amounts of fuel, which is placed in fuel pods under the wings, inside the wings, and sometimes stored in the belly of the ship, giving aliens an irresistible, if not hard to hit, target. If any alien weapon were to pierce the fuel pods, it could result in a huge flying fireball, almost guaranteed to be lethal to anyone inside the ship. The ship also suffers from decreased maneuverability due to high weight and thin titanium armor. That's why it shouldn't under any circumstances be used for anything other than transportation. Removal of the craft weapons hardpoint has made it even more dangerous to use this craft for combat.

Needs a rewrite, and if I start one, I might very well end up rewriting the whole CT... not that it's bad... Just that it seems a little bare bones/short to me..

Bah...

Azrael's flattering of my Ego made my Ego rewrite the CT...

Posted here for blehm to play with.

XC-11 "Condor"

The XC-11 "Condor" is a Vertical/Short Take Off/Landing(VSTOL) transport craft based on the venerable Osprey VSTOL design. It has the highest maximum top speed, payload capacity, and maximum range for a transport craft of it's class. The XC-11 also boasts excellent protection from small arms in the form of titanium alloy armor.

In the late 21st centuary, a redesign of the venerable Osprey VSTOL was deemed necessary by the US Military. The design documents for the new aircraft indicated that it should be able to carry a full load of twenty fully equiped "Land Warrior" infantry, improved airspeed over the original, and further range. To the surprise of many, the new design, XC-11 "Condor", not only met the design requirements, it even exceeded some of them.

The XC-11 "Condor" shares many design similarities with it's predecessor, in particular the twin rotatable outboard engines located at the wingtips. However, where the Osprey used oversized propprelers, the Condor is equipped with two supercruise capable turbojets. As a result, the Condor could generate enough lift that it could be equipped with extra titanium alloy armor, in particular around the crew and cargo compartment. Also, the Condor boasts a the highest top speed of it's class of transports at 450km/h.

The Condor is also capable of carrying an impressive amount of fuel in it's tanks located in the wings and wingroots. As a result, the Condor is capable of staying aloft for up to four and a half hours without refueling, resulting in a max range of approximately 1800km which is unmatch by any other aircraft in the category of VSTOL transport. Not only is the Condor capable of carrying 20 fully equipped soldiers, it was also designed with carrying the newly developed remotely operated weapons platform in mind, and is capable of carrying up to two the the platforms along with twelve fully equip soldiers.

All of these are qualities that the Xenocide Taskforce requires in a transport aircraft, and as such, the XC-11 "Condor" is the official Xenocide Transport until newer alternatives are developed.

P/s: All numbers are arbitary... Didn't bother to really look anything up.

condormine.rtf

• 2 weeks later...
okay you guys, this entry is too advanced for me, i must say i don't really understand any of it.  So you can leave it to someone else.

In other words I get to pick up the slack? :Rant:

XC-11 "Condor"

The XC-11 "Condor" is a Vertical/Short Take Off/Landing(VSTOL) transport craft based on the venerable Osprey VSTOL design. It has the highest maximum top speed, payload capacity, and maximum range for a transport craft of it's class. The XC-11 also boasts excellent protection from small arms in the form of titanium alloy armor.

In the late 21st centuary, a redesign of the venerable Osprey VSTOL was deemed necessary by the US Military. The design documents for the new aircraft indicated that it should be able to carry a full load of twenty fully equiped "Land Warrior" infantry, improved airspeed over the original, and further range. To the surprise of many, the new design, XC-11 "Condor", not only met the design requirements, it even exceeded some of them.

The XC-11 "Condor" shares many design similarities with it's predecessor, in particular the twin rotatable outboard engines located at the wingtips. However, where the Osprey used turboprop engines with oversized propellers, the Condor is equipped with twin experimental supercruise capable turbofans. As a result, the Condor could generate enough lift that it could be equipped with extra titanium alloy armor, in particular around the crew and cargo compartment. Not only that, the Condor is also the fastest VSTOL transport currently in service.

The Condor is also capable of carrying an impressive amount of fuel in it's tanks located in the wings and wingroots. As a result, the Condor is capable of staying aloft for exented periods of time without refueling, resulting in a max range unmatch by any other VSTOL transport. Not only is the Condor capable of carrying 20 fully equipped soldiers, it was also designed with carrying the newly developed remotely operated weapons platform in mind, and is capable of carrying up to two of the platforms along with twelve fully equip soldiers.

All of these are qualities that the Xenocide Taskforce requires in a transport aircraft, and as such, the XC-11 "Condor" is the official Xenocide Transport until newer alternatives are developed.

Okay, meddled with the CT some, removed most of the numbers so that we can be real flexible in game...

X-Net://Pegasus.net/Craft/Transports/XC-11 "Condor"

So much for one who sees thing mere mortals cannot :P Late 21st Century would be the around the years 2070-2099, right?

The XC-11 "Condor" shares many design similarities with it's predecessor, in particular the twin rotatable outboard engines located at the wingtips. However, where the Osprey used turboprop engines with oversized propellers, the Condor is equipped with twin experimental supercruise capable turbofans. As a result, the Condor could generate enough lift that it could be equipped with extra titanium alloy armor, in particular around the crew and cargo compartment. Not only that, the Condor is also the fastest VSTOL transport currently in service.

Question, these turbofans operate somewhat like jet engines, right? Then how does it suck in enought air to create lift when it is landing vertically?

The Condor is also capable of carrying an impressive amount of fuel in it's tanks located in the wings and wingroots. As a result, the Condor is capable of staying aloft for exented periods of time without refueling, resulting in a max range unmatch by any other VSTOL transport. Not only is the Condor capable of carrying 20 fully equipped soldiers, it was also designed with carrying the newly developed remotely operated weapons platform in mind, and is capable of carrying up to two of the platforms along with twelve fully equip soldiers.

All of these are qualities that the X-Corps Taskforce requires in a transport aircraft, and as such, the XC-11 "Condor" is the official X-Corps Transport until newer alternatives are developed.

Hmmm... I never said I was perfect, Azrael did :P

In the late twentieth century, a redesign of the venerable Osprey VSTOL was deemed necessary by the US Military. The design documents for the new aircraft indicated that it should be able to carry a full load of twenty fully equiped "Land Warrior" infantry, improved airspeed over the original, and further range. To the surprise of many, the new design, XC-11 "Condor", not only met the design requirements, it even exceeded some of them.

All of these are qualities that the X-Corps Taskforce requires in a transport aircraft, and as such, the XC-11 "Condor" is the official X-Corps Transport until newer alternatives are developed.

Question, these turbofans operate somewhat like jet engines, right? Then how does it suck in enought air to create lift when it is landing vertically?

Honestly, we are fudging about facts here to fit the model. However, jet engines are different from turbofans. Go toWikipedia About Various Engines for more info.

The supercruising turbofans would generate enough lift to stay aloft in the same manner that any other stovl aircraft does- only it would have the benefit of supercruise, provided that supercruise is not something that can only be achieved in a transonic airflow.

The osprey is more aptly described as a tilt rotor aircraft, rather than a stovl aircraft. This may be splitting hairs, tho.

All you facts look correct and the logic of your argument is cogent. I think there may be a few grammar problems (long sentences with many commas), but nothing major.

I would not say that this is a redesign of the osprey.. I would say that it is the second generation of the tilt rotor technology... call it tilt-fan ;)

Good job.

Edited by fux0r666

Okee, I've put further thought into it, and this is my 2 cents.

Hmmm... I never said I was perfect, Azrael did :P

The Osprey won't be venerable in the xenocide timeline. It's not even in service yet in 2005. Consider using words like 'outmoded' and 'obsolete.'

In the late twentieth century, a redesign of the venerable Osprey VSTOL was deemed necessary by the US Military. The design documents for the new aircraft indicated that it should be able to carry a full load of twenty fully equiped "Land Warrior" infantry, improved airspeed over the original, and further range. To the surprise of many, the new design, XC-11 "Condor", not only met the design requirements, it even exceeded some of them.

Consider revising 'rotatable engines with oversized propellers' to 'turboshaft driven rotors.'

Jets don't create lift- they produce thrust. Lift is an aerodynamic force generated by pressure differences in airflow over a surface (like a wing or a rotor).

The sentence that mentions the load is not parallel. What I mean is, that when you list things (such as capability), the items have to share the same gramatical tense. 'Carrying' and 'was' are two different grammatical tenses. Also, consider changing 'not only' to 'in addition to'.

You could say something about how its traits combine to yield a very versatile and long-legged assault transport... and this is why X-Corps wants it... but this is really just a question of rhetoric.

Edited by fux0r666

:Coffee: Hmm...

The XC-11 "Condor" is a Vertical/Short Take Off/Landing(VSTOL) transport craft based on the obsolete Osprey VSTOL design. It has the highest maximum top speed, payload capacity, and maximum range for a transport craft of it's class. The XC-11 also boasts excellent protection from small arms in the form of titanium alloy armor.

In the late twentieth century, a redesign of the outmoded Osprey VSTOL was deemed necessary by the US Military. The design documents for the new aircraft indicated that it should be able to carry a full load of twenty fully equiped "Land Warrior" infantry, improved airspeed over the original, and further range. To the surprise of many, the new design, XC-11 "Condor", not only met the design requirements, it even exceeded some of them.

The XC-11 "Condor" shares many design similarities with it's predecessor, in particular the twin rotatable outboard engines located at the wingtips. However, where the Osprey used turboshaft driven rotors, the Condor is equipped with twin experimental supercruise capable turbofans. The twin turbofan engines provide enough thrust that the Condor could be equipped with extra titanium alloy armor, in particular around the crew and cargo compartment and yet still be able to achieve vertical take-off. Not only that, the Condor is also the fastest VSTOL transport currently in service.

The Condor is also capable of carrying an impressive amount of fuel in it's tanks located in the wings and wingroots. As a result, the Condor is capable of staying aloft for exented periods of time without refueling, resulting in a max range unmatch by any other VSTOL transport. The Condor can carry up 20 fully equipped soldiers, in addition to that, the Condor is also designed with carrying the newly developed remotely operated weapons platform in mind, and is capable of carrying up to two of the platforms along with twelve fully equip soldiers.

Methinks FuX0r's 2 cents is my twenty dollars... Most suggested changes implemented. I think I'll stick to calling the osprey and condor VSTOL tho... That's what both essentially are, technology aside...

Also, tilt fan :huh?: :KooKoo: ?

Edited by tzuchan

Well, do you consider a helicopter to be a vstol aircraft?

The thing about the Osprey is that it's a convertiplane... meaning it's not a fixed wing aircraft. Usually in the literature, it's usually refered to in helicopter terms.

I was only joking when I said tilt-fan. It is the most accurate term that you can use to refer to the propulsion system described. It is most certainly not vectored thrust like other stovl aircraft, i.e. the harrier.

:Coffee: :huh?: :Brickwall:

I guess those three smilies best explain my current moods...

I'll put the comments to boil for the time being, I'm sneaking in 15 minutes of surfing between flights. I'm feeling the stirings of some ideas but nothing concrete yet. I'll hammer them out when I get home(Hopefully in another hour or so...)

Apologies for continued posting in this forum, but despite my promotion to PMR (according to a PM), I am still unable to post in the Workshop forums. :(

Anyway, here are a few comments on the XC-11 "Condor." Hopefully, I garner no ill-will from posting my comments here...

-Asty

p.s. red text indicates additions, grey text indicates deletions, and blue text indicates comments.

The XC-11 "Condor" is a Vertical/Short Take Off/Landing(VSTOL) transport craft is a advanced upgrade of the based on the obsolete Osprey VSTOL design. Technology and architectural improvements have resulted in a breakthrough: the XC-11 "Condor" boasts It has the highest maximum top speed, payload capacity, and maximum range of any for a transport craft of it's its class. The XC-11 also boasts features titanium alloy armor-plating, providing our troops and equipment with superior excellent protection from small arms fire. in the form of titanium alloy armor.

In the late twentieth century, a redesign of the outmoded Osprey VSTOL was deemed necessary by the U. S. Military command. The design documents specifications for the new aircraft indicated called for sufficient transport capabilities for that it should be able to carry a full load of twenty fully equiped equipped "Land Warrior" infantry, improved airspeed over the original, and further increased range. In spite of the demanding design requirements, To the surprise of many, the new design, XC-11 "Condor" design, to the surprise of many, not only met the design requirements, it even exceeded many some of them, a tribute to American technological genius of that time.

The XC-11 "Condor" shares many design similarities with it's predecessor, in particular the twin rotatable outboard engines located at the wingtips. However, where the Osprey used depended on turboshaft driven rotors for propulsion, the Condor is equipped with relies upon twin experimental supercruise-capable turbofans instead. The twin dual turbofan engines provide enough thrust that the to allow the Condor could be equipped with to carry an extra six inches of titanium alloy armor, in particular around the crew and cargo compartment and yet and still be able to achieve vertical take-off. Not only that Despite being equipped with two tons of additional armor, the Condor remains is also the fastest VSTOL transport currently in service.

The Condor is also capable of carrying an impressive amount of fuel in it's tanks located in the its wings and wingroots. As a result, the Condor is capable of staying aloft for exented extended periods of time without before refueling, resulting in a maximum range unmatched by any other VSTOL transports. The following transition is still slightly unwieldy: Furthermore, as an alternative to the standard twenty soldier layout, The Condor can carry up 20 fully equipped soldiers, in addition to that, the Condor is XC-11 design allows up to two also designed with carrying the newly developed remotely-operated weapons platforms to be carried in mind, and is capable of carrying up to two of the platforms along with twelve fully equipped soldiers.

As the XC-11 "Condor" meets the stringent requirements that All of these are qualities that the X-Corps Taskforce requires demands of its in a transport aircraft, and as such, the XC-11 "Condor" is it has been adopted as the official X-Corps Transport until newer better alternatives are developed. become available.

Edited by Astyanax

Anyway, here are a few comments on the XC-11 "Condor."  Hopefully, I garner no ill-will from posting my comments here...
Astyanax, you had been given Applicant status, as long as you do the required stuff you will be given Recruit status. After that, start posting in the right place.

Greetings

Red Knight

Astyanax, you had been given Applicant status, as long as you do the required stuff you will be given Recruit status. After that, start posting in the right place.

Greetings

Red Knight

Hi Red Knight-

I know I can be a bit overzealous, but I'm still unsure of what "required stuff" I have yet to do. I am unfamiliar with the Applicant status, and I've only encountered text pertaining to Recruit status in my admittedly brief perusings of the forums. If I am correct, I should post next in the task force thread, but I receive a "You do not have permission" error. I'd appreciate any advice! Help! :)

-Asty

Edited by Astyanax

Greetings

Red Knight

Hi Red Knight-

I know I can be a bit overzealous, but I'm still unsure of what "required stuff" I have yet to do. I am unfamiliar with the Applicant status, and I've only encountered text pertaining to Recruit status in my admittedly brief perusings of the forums. If I am correct, I should post next in the task force thread, but I receive a "You do not have permission" error. I'd appreciate any advice! Help! :)

-Asty

You should have received a private message telling you what you need to do in order to get the recruit status.

Rincewind

Er, I got a PM titled "Promotion to PMR," which starts off with:

Thank you for showing interest in joining Project Xenocide! You will be placed into a project forum group called Project Member Recruit as a way of evaluation by the project members. During your time in this group, we encourage you to take an active part in the project development by applying for tasks where you feel your skills may be of use.

I have already registered for an account at the task force/bugs site, but didn't find anything that piqued my interest. I went to the Workshops: Active Tasks, and found some things I thought I could proofread, but as of yet, I am unable to post my messages in the right places, as I continually encounter "you do not have permission" errors. I also visited the task force thread, but I am thwarted by the "permission" error yet again.

I'm still at a loss of what to do next... :( Unless I have to PM someone directly to secure a job? EDIT- As I have just done...

Edited by Astyanax

as to that, i do not know, back when i joined they did not have an applicant group, everyone went straight to recruit and could post immdediately

Alright guys, I sorted out my Applicant/Recruit issue. Thanks for your patience.

fux0r666: How about instead of "...is an advanced upgrade of the based on the obsolete Osprey VSTOL design" we use "...is an advanced design reminiscent of the obsolete Osprey VSTOL craft"?

EDIT- or how about "...is the spiritual successor of the obsolete Osprey VSTOL design"?

Anyway, could someone merge this post of mine to the appropriate location (The Workshops/Active Tasks/Active: Creative Text, the "CTD - XC-11 Condor" post)? Thanks!

Edited by Astyanax

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly modifications suggested by Asty... I deleted the "a tribute to American technological genius of that time." tho, I'm not that patriotic, and if I were, the plane would have been from Malaysia (Bet most of you don't know where that is!)

The XC-11 "Condor" is a Vertical/Short Take Off/Landing(VSTOL) transport craft is based on the obsolete Osprey tilt-rotor design. Recent technology breakthroughs and architectural improvements have resulted in a craft that is not only faster than any other transport craft of its class, but also capable of carrying more payload futher than most similar crafts. The XC-11 also features titanium alloy armor-plating, providing our troops and equipment with superior protection from small arms fire.

In the late twentieth century, a redesign of the outmoded Osprey VSTOL was deemed necessary by the U. S. Military command. The design specifications for the new aircraft called for sufficient transport capabilities for twenty fully equiped equipped "Land Warrior" infantry, improved airspeed, and increased range. In spite of the demanding design requirements, the new XC-11 "Condor" design, to the surprise of many, not only met the design requirements, it even exceeded many of them.

The XC-11 "Condor" shares many design similarities with it's predecessor, in particular the twin rotatable outboard engines located at the wingtips. However, where the Osprey depended on turboshaft driven rotors for propulsion, the Condor relies upon twin experimental supercruise-capable turbofans instead. The dual turbofan engines provide enough thrust that the to allow the Condor to carry an extra two inches of titanium alloy armor and still achieve vertical take-off, even when fully loaded. Despite being equipped with additional armor, the Condor remains the fastest VSTOL transport currently in service.

The Condor is also capable of carrying an impressive amount of fuel in tanks located in the wings and wingroots. As a result, the Condor is capable of staying aloft for extended periods of time before refueling, resulting in a maximum range unmatched by any other VSTOL transports. As required by the design specifications, the Condor can carry twenty fully equipped infantry soldiers. Also, as an alternative loadout, the XC-11 design allows up to two newly developed remotely-operated weapons platforms to be carried along with twelve fully equipped soldiers.

As the XC-11 "Condor" meets the stringent requirements that the X-Corps Taskforce demands of its transport aircraft, it has been adopted as the official X-Corps Transport until better alternatives become available.

"Man, that plane looks like a tank!"

"At least you can be sure that AA guns won't bother you much..."

"Yeah, but where are the hardpoints? Or guns? How am I defend myself against people shooting at me?"

"I guess you could always ram them..."

"...you're not helping..."

-Trainee Pilots busted to "Condor Duty"

Also Fux, I think you can't exactly compare the condor and the osprey when discussing about wheter it's VSTOL or not, cause when the osprey tilts it's rotors, it's basically becoming a heli because the rotors then become spinning "wings", much like a helicopter, but when the condor tilts it's turbofans, the thrust is what lifts the condor up, not a spinning lifting surface, which, imhom is the critriea for helicopters

Edited by tzuchan

Looks good, tzuchan! =b

Add a space before (VSTOL) in the first paragraph and fix "futher" in the second sentence of the first paragraph, and you're pretty much set!

I deleted the "a tribute to American technological genius of that time."tho, I'm not that patriotic, and if I were, the plane would have been from Malaysia (Bet most of you don't know where that is!)

Can't say that I'm particularly patriotic; I can say plenty about the current administration... :Brickwall: But it did seem to make sense considering that in the text, they came up with a design that far exceeded specs. :) Either way, it's not essential, so no biggie.

In any case, I do know where Malaysia is. :naughty:

Edited by Astyanax

Okay, so some of you guys know where it is... The last time I asked, someone thought it was in Thailand...

The XC-11 "Condor" is a Vertical/Short Take Off/Landing (VSTOL) transport craft is based on the obsolete Osprey tilt-rotor design. Recent technology breakthroughs and architectural improvements have resulted in a craft that is not only faster than any other transport craft of its class, but also capable of carrying more payload further than most similar crafts. The XC-11 also features titanium alloy armor-plating, providing our troops and equipment with superior protection from small arms fire.

In the late twentieth century, a redesign of the outmoded Osprey VSTOL was deemed necessary by the U. S. Military command. The design specifications for the new aircraft called for sufficient transport capabilities for twenty fully equiped equipped "Land Warrior" infantry, improved airspeed, and increased range. In spite of the demanding design requirements, the new XC-11 "Condor" design, to the surprise of many, not only met the design requirements, it even exceeded many of them.

The XC-11 "Condor" shares many design similarities with it's predecessor, in particular the twin rotatable outboard engines located at the wingtips. However, where the Osprey depended on turboshaft driven rotors for propulsion, the Condor relies upon twin experimental supercruise-capable turbofans instead. The dual turbofan engines provide enough thrust that the Condor can be equipped with an extra two inches of titanium alloy armor and still achieve vertical take-off, even when fully loaded. Despite being equipped with additional armor, the Condor remains the fastest VSTOL transport currently in service.

The Condor is also capable of carrying an impressive amount of fuel in tanks located in the wings and wingroots. As a result, the Condor is capable of staying aloft for extended periods of time before refueling, resulting in a maximum range unmatched by any other VSTOL transports. As required by the design specifications, the Condor can carry twenty fully equipped infantry soldiers. Also, as an alternative loadout, the XC-11 design allows up to two newly developed remotely-operated weapons platforms to be carried along with twelve fully equipped soldiers.

As the XC-11 "Condor" meets the stringent requirements that the X-Corps Taskforce demands of its transport aircraft, it has been adopted as the official X-Corps Transport until better alternatives become available.

"Man, that plane looks like a tank!"

"At least you can be sure that AA guns won't bother you much..."

"Yeah, but where are the hardpoints? Or guns? How am I going to defend myself against people shooting at me?"

"I guess you could always ram them..."

"...you're not helping..."

-Trainee Pilots busted to "Condor Duty"

Two minor edits, fixing problems mentioned by Asty... Comments?

Edited by tzuchan

So is the AC-130 Spectre, for example, which also happens to be heavily armed with side-mounted miniguns and 20 mm cannons, its predecessor the AC-47 Spooky, and I think the AC-119G and AC-119K. The AC-130 still being in service today I believe.

Transports aren't always unarmed, and that may need addressing, is all I was saying, particularly with an advanced troop carrier like the Conder.

Actually, the AC-130 Spectre is a Gunship, not a transport craft. A quick search on Yahoo! yielded this link.

Also, on the page, it states: "...primary missions are close air support, air interdiction and armed reconnaissance. Other missions include perimeter and point defense, escort, landing, drop and extraction zone support, forward air control, limited command and control, and combat search and rescue. "

While it does mention "...landing, drop and extraction...", I believe that it's role is to provide cover, not as transport craft.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that russians use transport helis equipped with weapons, but the general concept of transport crafts have been unarmed crafts, because weapons system would be a weighty affair, reducing cargo carrying capacity and affecting overall range...

the general concept of transport crafts is as unarmed crafts, because weapons system would be a weighty affair, reducing cargo carrying capacity and affecting overall range...

Well, that's exactly what I'd have thought might need putting into your entry. ^_^ But it's no biggy, just saying is all, because otherwise you're leaving it to the reader to figure it out.